gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:56:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl Wilson's "Youngblood" reissue in September  (Read 18590 times)
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: July 27, 2010, 10:45:32 AM »

In addition to the Japanese re-issues on CD, there were also needle drops made of the two albums. Have never played the CD's and I think I played the original vinyl albums maybe 4 times max after I bought them when they were released. Had the "Carl Wilson" album cover signed by Carl himself in S.F. between two solo shows.

Brad Elliott released a good Carl Wilson 19 track comp CD back in '99:

http://www.bradelliott.com/writings/lpr.html

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: July 27, 2010, 11:07:28 AM »

Avaible now for pre-order: Amazon and Iconoclassic's site.

£16.49 on amazon UK Huh??  No friggin' way. For that, I'd want him singing it to me in the front room.

I can think of at least one possible problem with that request AGD.....

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: July 27, 2010, 01:09:23 PM »

Yes, well, except for those concerts where Brian played the entirety of his new albums. You know, the majority of touring he did in 2004-2005 and those shows in 2007 and 2008.

Those concerts were still mostly Beach Boys stuff though...
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #53 on: July 27, 2010, 02:04:23 PM »

Avaible now for pre-order: Amazon and Iconoclassic's site.

£16.49 on amazon UK Huh??  No friggin' way. For that, I'd want him singing it to me in the front room.

Try Play.com... a bargain!

“We live in divisive times.”
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: July 27, 2010, 02:27:47 PM »

NOT; He gets credit for compiling and annotating, for which I'm certain he was paid well, but releasing it?
Why not say Andrew Sandoval  or Billy Hinsche released it?  ( or pick your own)
Brad didn't release s**t

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #55 on: July 27, 2010, 02:41:59 PM »

NOT; He gets credit for compiling and annotating, for which I'm certain he was paid well, but releasing it?
Why not say Andrew Sandoval  or Billy Hinsche released it?  ( or pick your own)
Brad didn't release s**t

There's a story about that CD and the American Cancer Society too.  Huh

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mikie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: July 27, 2010, 04:45:41 PM »

Why not say Andrew Sandoval  or Billy Hinsche released it?  ( or pick your own)

Because I felt like saying that Brad released it, Bgass!  That's where I got mine - from Surf's Up Collectibles way back when. Capitol Records most likely mastered and pressed them and probably had something to do with the artwork. Brad compiled the tracks and the sound quality is superior compared to the Japanese CD's.

Did I say Brad released it? So sue me!

By the way, how's that 4-track tape Beach Boys collection coming along, Bgass?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 05:19:32 PM by Mikie » Logged

I, I love the colorful clothes she wears, and she's already working on my brain. I only looked in her eyes, but I picked up something I just can't explain. I, I bet I know what she’s like, and I can feel how right she’d be for me. It’s weird how she comes in so strong, and I wonder what she’s picking up from me. I hope it’s good, good, good, good vibrations, yeah!!
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: July 27, 2010, 07:14:17 PM »

Why not say Andrew Sandoval  or Billy Hinsche released it?  ( or pick your own)

Because I felt like saying that Brad released it, Bgass!  That's where I got mine - from Surf's Up Collectibles way back when. Capitol Records most likely mastered and pressed them and probably had something to do with the artwork. Brad compiled the tracks and the sound quality is superior compared to the Japanese CD's.

I've got them all , dick.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #58 on: July 27, 2010, 08:29:57 PM »

Sorry if this has been asked already, but will this re-release be remastered?
Thanks!

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
alanjames
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: July 27, 2010, 09:58:02 PM »

Yes, the cd was remastered for this re-release.
I pre-ordered today in Amazon.com
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #60 on: July 28, 2010, 12:40:30 AM »

Glad to hear of this surprise re-issue!  I did get the Japanese CD...3 or 4 years after the pressing, it was going for about $25, which was what I paid.  Never did find a reasonable price for the 1st album on CD. 

But, yeah, I'm confused about why the first album is not included or reissued on its own....they could have easily fit both albums on one disc.  And if they released them separately, just about anyone who purchased the new Youngblood CD would purchase the Carl Wilson one too...weird.
Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #61 on: July 28, 2010, 02:01:40 AM »

I put it in my amazon shopping cart an hour ago at $16.98, and now it is already down to $13.99. Grab it now!
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

I have a License To Quill

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: July 28, 2010, 05:42:19 AM »

I put it in my amazon shopping cart an hour ago at $16.98, and now it is already down to $13.99. Grab it now!

Down to 12.95 as of yesterday. I pre-ordered my copy. I will message Billy about if he will be doing Carl's self-titled album next. If so, I am a guaranteed customer for it as well. I have both LP versions already. But if Yougblood is going to get the kind of TLC that POB got, I am VERY eager.

Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: July 28, 2010, 05:58:34 AM »

I swear I saw Carl Wilson's first CD in a record store at the same time POB came out back whenever that was.  Not so sure about YOUNGBLOOD.

I read somewhere that there was a third Carl album that was recorded in '85 or '86 that was rejected, and I've asked other people who basically laughed this idea out of the room, because of the cost overruns on YOUNGBLOOD which made it unlikely a label would ever finance a CW album again.  Does anyone know anything about a theoretical third CW album, or was this just one of those apocryphal things that turns up?  It did strike me as credible, just because it's the kind of thing most people wouldn't make up, and Carl wasn't exactly that creative with the BBs after '85.

I got the original POB CD on Caribou in  July 1989. So I would assume both of Carl's' albums came out on Caribou then as well. I wish I got them.  The "3rd" Carl album that i know of was a collaborative venture called Beckley- Lamm- Wilson "Like A brother". I only have a boot version. Be nice to see this one remastered as well. So I can toss the boot copy.
jeffh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: July 28, 2010, 06:46:26 AM »

I have both of the Japanese releases. Get them years ago. One was through Goldmine Magazine, paid 35.00. The other was through a record / cd "broker." I'm not even going to say what I paid for that one!!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: July 28, 2010, 07:56:23 AM »

The "3rd" Carl album that i know of was a collaborative venture called Beckley- Lamm- Wilson "Like A brother". I only have a boot version. Be nice to see this one remastered as well. So I can toss the boot copy.

The album is still in print. Knock yourself out:

http://www.amazon.com/Like-Brother-Beckley/dp/B000TR9XES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280328815&sr=8-2
Paulos
« Reply #66 on: July 28, 2010, 01:05:41 PM »

I searched for Carl Wilson on play.com and this guy shows up!

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: July 28, 2010, 04:43:40 PM »

Always wondered what Carl would look like without the beard!
Alf64
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: July 29, 2010, 04:50:58 AM »

The "3rd" Carl album that i know of was a collaborative venture called Beckley- Lamm- Wilson "Like A brother". I only have a boot version. Be nice to see this one remastered as well. So I can toss the boot copy.

The album is still in print. Knock yourself out:

http://www.amazon.com/Like-Brother-Beckley/dp/B000TR9XES/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&s=music&qid=1280328815&sr=8-2

Thanks I just saved the link. I'll buy it later this fall.  Smiley
Lisa Bonahue
Smiley Smile Associate

New York State Rep BBFC

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: July 30, 2010, 08:39:08 PM »

I got both of Carl's CD's in the 90's from a record store in Maryland along with a few assorted Bruce Johnston CD's including "Going Public". Yes they were being sold in the US but like Andrew stated they were all in fact JAPANESE CD's they even had the Obi strips and the booklets and the back of the CD's had Japanese writing on them  Smiley

I find that a relaxed work environment can be achieved through balance. Come in late, leave early....works for me.
Tony S
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: July 31, 2010, 04:26:28 AM »

That's what I have as well; bought both in th early 90's at a record show for about $25 each. Everything is in Japanese.
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: July 31, 2010, 05:21:15 PM »

I have only the lps and disc copies.     As for the musical quality of the albums I have always said that they can be combined into one very nice cd with your personal nonfavorites deleted.  Throw in your fav BLW cuts for good measure.  All things considered, I find Youngblood the better album.

This is turning out to be an interesting year for new  BB releases.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #72 on: July 31, 2010, 11:25:20 PM »

Because I felt like saying that Brad released it, Bgass!  That's where I got mine - from Surf's Up Collectibles way back when. Capitol Records most likely mastered and pressed them and probably had something to do with the artwork. Brad compiled the tracks and the sound quality is superior compared to the Japanese CD's.

I've got them all , dick.

Hey guys...chill out, 'kay?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
jimmyboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: August 01, 2010, 11:16:25 AM »

It would be nice to have official versions of Carl's albums but only for completists sake, my opinion of both albums is that they are both godawful and even Carls voice cannot redeem them. Not as bad as Going Public though........
  Amen!!
Awesoman
Smiley Smile Associate

Disagreements? Work 'em out.

View Profile WWW
« Reply #74 on: August 01, 2010, 01:34:41 PM »

Do we know whether or not this album will be remastered?

And if you don't know where you're going
Any road will take you there
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx