gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:38:26 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: California Feeling  (Read 11202 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« on: February 22, 2006, 09:37:30 AM »

I just recently bought the BB Selections by BW and I love his version of California Feeling...it's such a peaceful vibe...in fact, it makes this album like something to get high to...like god only knows- CF is great....
the BB version is good too (from the 70s)...it sounds so brian-y but doesnt even have a Brian vocal, right? Hearing bruce on there....that's the most clear as day ive heard him since I'll Bet he's nice and dont hear anything from him til endless harmony...say, did he submit any tunes for LA that are obviously unreleased? I know he produced it, right?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jason Penick
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 22, 2006, 10:34:14 AM »

I hope I'm understanding your questions right.  That's Carl singing the lead on the Beach Boys version of "California Feeling", with Bruce on the bridge... indicating this song was finished during the sessions where Bruce was brought in to work on the Light Album.  No I don't hear Brian at all on this, though there's a demo making the rounds where he sings it (as well as an alternate version featuring the vocal "talents" of Rocky Pamplin, about which the less said the better.)  I don't think Bruce is featured on "I'll Bet He's Nice" or Love You at all for that matter.

I don't know if it was ever submitted for LA or not, but Bruce wrote an incredible song around this time called "Brand New Old Friends" that was cut by Curt Becher's group California Music but sat unreleased until the year 2000.  Would have made a wonderful addition to LA Light.

Some other good stuff that sat in the can around this time:  "Santa Ana Winds", "Looking Down the Coast"/ "Monterey" all by Al Jardine, "Our Team" (MIU reject I believe; surely this was better than "Kona Coast"?), "Sherry She Needs Me"... All of these can be found on a boot titled California Feeling, along with some lesser period outtakes ("Skatetown USA", anyone?) 

SUICIDE
It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not. -- Brian Wilson
monkee knutz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2006, 11:39:01 AM »

"Those groovy little wheels are gonna git me sum."
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2006, 11:43:43 AM »

Oh, Mike. Sum what? Hip replacement surgeries?

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 22, 2006, 12:34:36 PM »

i coulda sworn Bruce was on IBHN...he sings around the end..."well it's you"

pretty sure bruce has even went on to say he's sang on every BB record except MIU

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 22, 2006, 03:19:55 PM »

That IS Bruce. He made little apperances every now and then, true. Although, I did not know he was So Tough. Anybody have any info on what he was on on that album?

I've never heard the BB version of CF with Brian on lead. I've heard the version with Carl, and of course the "new" Brian version from 2002. Anybody who has heard it..any comments? How does Brian's voice sound on it?

Completely unrelated , of course, but...there is this interesting looking icon to the right of the profile and email icons.
<--------------------------

I wonder what it does...  Wink

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #6 on: February 22, 2006, 03:21:19 PM »

The California Feelin' demo from 1974 is unbooted, but one of the most talked about recordings of any of the Beach Boys. Brian still has his sweet voice and plays a gospel piano. I'm told it puts the 1978 and 2002 versions to complete and utter shame.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 22, 2006, 03:24:24 PM »

It's unbooted?!  Cry

I've heard similar from AGD, but I think he's heard EVERYTHING.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #8 on: February 22, 2006, 03:27:36 PM »

It's unbooted?!  Cry

I've heard similar from AGD, but I think he's heard EVERYTHING.

Yes, it's unbooted, sadly. There's a lot of stuff that is. Oodles.

AGD hasn't heard everything. Not even Alan Boyd has heard everything, and he manages the tape vault, for Chrissakes!
Andreas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 01:08:42 AM »

What? A 1974 version with Brian singing lead?  I would give a lot to hear this.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 05:00:01 AM »

I don't think Bruce is featured on "I'll Bet He's Nice" or Love You at all for that matter.

Bruce can be clearly heard on the tag of "IBHN" - further, he's stated many times that the only BB album he's not on since he joined the band was M.I.U..

Oh, and Brian is on the 10/78 recording of "CF" - that's him being whiny all over the end of the chorus.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 05:03:08 AM »

It's a pretty loose demo, just BW and a piano. He's in excellent voice though. Go figure.

Always recall reading about it in the 1976 Crawdaddy articles, thinking "WHOA !"... then actually hearing the 1978 version and thinking, "WTF... ?". BIG letdown.

« Last Edit: February 23, 2006, 05:05:05 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 05:45:11 AM »

thank you AGD!  Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

RobtheNobleSurfer
« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 02:36:01 PM »

It's a pretty loose demo, just BW and a piano. He's in excellent voice though. Go figure.

Always recall reading about it in the 1976 Crawdaddy articles, thinking "WHOA !"... then actually hearing the 1978 version and thinking, "WTF... ?". BIG letdown.

Isn't there a version from '76 with Brian in his voice of the period?
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 24, 2006, 04:15:00 AM »

That IS Bruce. He made little apperances every now and then, true. Although, I did not know he was So Tough. Anybody have any info on what he was on on that album?

I believe Bruce left the BBs when most of "So tough" was already finished.

But if he was on every album except M.I.U. (and I don't blame him for not being on THAT !), does that mean, he's also on "In concert"? If so, what songs is he on and what is he playing (instrument) ?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Dancing Bear
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 08:43:08 AM »

I think the quote was about studio albums.

I'm fat as a cow oh how'd I ever get this way!
Naive Teen Idol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2009, 08:54:12 AM »

Revive!  (for my first post)

I sort of felt the same way -- having read about it in Tim White's TNFAP.  When I finally heard the boot, I was kind of bummed.  Carl sounds like he's been sedated.

That said, this week, I'm kind of into it.  The Bruce part, in particular, where he repeats the title over and over again w/ the modulation.  Sometimes I just wonder how in the hell these guys put out so much garbage in the late 1970's when they had so much better material in the can.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: May 19, 2009, 09:20:13 AM »

LOL I've never actually heard the song but that didn't stop me from making a terrible electric keyboard cover version by following along with the chords and guessing the melody, and singing in an assortment of creepy pervert voices. I'll have to find it and upload it sometime. That song just seems like it represents everything wrong with Mike Love and the BBs at the time, even though I've never heard it.

edit- Finally listened to it. I had guessed the vocal melody pretty closely. I figured that the song would be produced to sound exactly like "Almost Summer", and I was right. As an aside - isn't it depressing to see Mike Love live now? I know it's great that he's still touring, but after seeing all of those ridiculous dances and hand gestures he did as a youngster, it's sad to see the feeble hand movements he's limited to today. It's like he wants to do more, but his body just won't. He tries to swing his hips and nothing happens.

Someone give him a Red Bull before concerts. Actually, giving cocaine to Mike Love and Brian Wilson would be a great idea. Perk 'em up.
« Last Edit: May 19, 2009, 09:29:46 AM by Dada » Logged
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #18 on: May 19, 2009, 11:00:32 AM »

I'm sure I've read that CF was recorded for MIU. 
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 19, 2009, 11:09:08 AM »

I've had a hard time getting into this song...at least on a par with the way it has been talked up.  I've heard better unreleased stuff.  Some of it quite good in comparison imo.

Of course, I'm a big fan of Holland and Love You so I should like this song in terms of the era ......maybe it will one day grow on me.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #20 on: May 19, 2009, 11:11:55 AM »

Nope - however, M. I. U. was originally called California Feeling, even though Brian flatly refused to allow them to include the song. It wasn't recorded during the MIU sessions - the first known version (Brian's original 11/12/74 Western demo aside) was with American Spring in summer 1977 at Brother (lead vocal, Rocky, and I don't think it's too bad). The BB version was cut at Criteria during the Miami sessions, 8/28 and 9/1/78.

petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 19, 2009, 11:28:18 AM »

Bruce, What songs are going on LA (as David Leaf asked in the fall of 1978):

As of now, the songs that will probably be on the album are “Baby Blue”, “Angel Come Home”, “Lady Lynda”, “Here Comes The Night”, “Full Sail”, “Going South” … maybe “Calendar Girl” … I’m trying not to put “Santa Ana Winds" on … a heavy ‘no’ on “California Feeling”.
Naive Teen Idol
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 19, 2009, 11:29:41 AM »

… a heavy ‘no’ on “California Feeling”.

Meaning...?  That they had a hard time cutting the song or something?
petsite
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 19, 2009, 12:34:49 PM »

Sounds like Bruce didn't like the results.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #24 on: May 19, 2009, 12:37:50 PM »

Meaning, 'no, it's not going to be on the album'. And by God, it wasn't. Amazing, huh ?  Grin

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx