gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680743 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 08:36:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Best Bass in a Beach Boys song?  (Read 16214 times)
SamMcK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #75 on: May 31, 2012, 02:49:32 PM »

Ed Carter. Grin
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #76 on: May 31, 2012, 06:58:08 PM »

HERE SHE COMES

/THREAD.

Is that a beach boys song?  Tongue

See that's what i always ask to myself, how is that a Beach Boys song ? they could at least have a Beach Boy sing the lead (Carl would have been great) if the song isn't wrote by them or even played by them

Blondie and Ricky were official members of the Beach Boys. the song is written by Beach Boys and the lead vocal is sung by a Beach Boy.

Jeff Foskett. He's a Beach Boy more than Blondie and Ricky ever were. There was no reason to make those two full members. They were the Poochie element of the BBs for a while, and lasted just as much as was to be expected. They're great musicians and I'm sure they're nice people, but why full time members? 

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #77 on: May 31, 2012, 07:20:58 PM »

Jeff Foskett. He's a Beach Boy more than Blondie and Ricky ever were.

You're shitting me.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #78 on: May 31, 2012, 10:28:06 PM »

Best bassist of the band...I would actually probably vote for Carl.  Other than the 15 BIG ONES album I'm not sure of too many studio performances, but when you watch him playing bass live in the '60s on various clips, he's pulling off some very tricky stuff AND singing lead.  And he taught both Brian and Bruce how to play.  So I think you'd have to say the best bassist in the band was probably Carl.
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #79 on: May 31, 2012, 10:53:57 PM »

Win the yes needs the no to win against the no.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #80 on: June 01, 2012, 04:26:51 AM »

Best bassist of the band...I would actually probably vote for Carl.  Other than the 15 BIG ONES album I'm not sure of too many studio performances, but when you watch him playing bass live in the '60s on various clips, he's pulling off some very tricky stuff AND singing lead.  And he taught both Brian and Bruce how to play.  So I think you'd have to say the best bassist in the band was probably Carl.

I think it's Brian.  Well, let's put it this way.  If it's 1964 and I had to hire one Beach Boy to play bass on my record, I'd get Brian.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #81 on: June 01, 2012, 06:50:52 AM »

Any of those videos up on youtube?
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #82 on: June 01, 2012, 09:01:59 AM »

I think it's Brian.  Well, let's put it this way.  If it's 1964 and I had to hire one Beach Boy to play bass on my record, I'd get Brian.
Which is interesting because Al played bass on more '64 sessions than Brian did.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #83 on: June 01, 2012, 10:16:09 AM »

Speaking of bass, who do you think the best actual Beach Boys bassist was? Brian? Bruce? Al?

I can't believe no one's said Carol Kaye
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #84 on: June 01, 2012, 10:57:03 AM »

Speaking of bass, who do you think the best actual Beach Boys bassist was? Brian? Bruce? Al?

Carol Kaye was never a member of the Beach Boys.
MyGlove
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #85 on: June 01, 2012, 04:38:39 PM »

Carol Kaye was never a member of the Beach Boys.

I know. Sorry my sense of humor is terrible. It was a joke.
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #86 on: June 01, 2012, 08:28:20 PM »

I think Brian was the best player of any of the Boys.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #87 on: June 01, 2012, 08:33:12 PM »

To be honest I've never been impressed with any of their abilities on instruments, with the possible exception of Brian's piano style which always seemed pretty expressive and stylized.  That's probably why I don't mind that they used session musicians so much.  Vocally of course is a different story, they all had above average voices and a couple of those mo'fos were LEGENDS. 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #88 on: June 01, 2012, 09:29:11 PM »

Is that actually Brian which I've always suspected, playing keys on "Sail on Sailor" ? 
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #89 on: June 01, 2012, 09:44:29 PM »

O.K., I always wondered that.  It has his heavy handed style, so I thought it may have been an early track or something. 
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #90 on: June 01, 2012, 10:06:53 PM »

Best bassist of the band...I would actually probably vote for Carl.  Other than the 15 BIG ONES album I'm not sure of too many studio performances, but when you watch him playing bass live in the '60s on various clips, he's pulling off some very tricky stuff AND singing lead.  And he taught both Brian and Bruce how to play.  So I think you'd have to say the best bassist in the band was probably Carl.

Any of those videos up on youtube?

There's this one.  I grant you it's a lipsync, but he's very clearly playing the tricky correct bass line and singing it.  A similar one would be, IIRC, Carl singing "God Only Knows" on LEI'D IN HAWAII.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NwrKKbaClME

It's not evidence in the sense that he's not actually doing a live performance, but he clearly CAN, technically.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #91 on: June 20, 2012, 11:09:39 PM »

Carol told me to say she was the best bass on every BBs song, but I think someone already posted that. 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Letsgoawayforawhile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #92 on: June 21, 2012, 10:46:44 AM »

The turn around in Surfer Girl.
Brian doing some complex stuff on an incredibly simple song.
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aXCOafmCyO4

Also, I like the broken bass line approach in I'm waiting for the day.

“Simple it's not, I'm afraid you will find, for a mind maker-upper to make up his mind”
- Dr. Seuss
HighOnLife
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #93 on: June 21, 2012, 03:28:37 PM »

I was just going to say "Surfer Girl" too. I listened to it on the way home from work today and paid particular attention to the bass line. I love Brian's tone on that song.

"I don't do drugs. I am drugs."
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #94 on: June 21, 2012, 04:29:21 PM »

Please Let Me Wonder - bass is so subtle and yet the way he mixes it makes it amazing. Love that plucky 60's bass sound

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
JanBerryFarm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #95 on: June 21, 2012, 04:53:21 PM »

Moon Dawg - it drops in low and mean, like a B17 on a bomb run.

~Hawaiian Shirts Are For Barneys~
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx