gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680753 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 20, 2024, 05:02:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] Go Down Print
Author Topic: My debut album, "The Almond Years"  (Read 6541 times)
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: July 03, 2010, 08:38:14 AM »

Hey guys. After two years of work, I have finished my album, a song cycle titled, "The Almond Years"

you can download the whole thing here:

http://www.sendspace.com/file/cyflv0

I hope it pleases! thanks for listening  Smiley

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2010, 08:41:40 AM »

I'm downloading now and excited to listen; I've enjoyed what you've posted before.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2010, 08:55:54 AM »

Thanks Luther! I hope it is enjoyable. Please share your criticisms/thoughts/etc.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 03, 2010, 09:27:15 AM »

I'm a little over halfway through (taking a while, as--in case you didn't know--this has a lot of songs). Love your voice, as usual. Lots of interesting moments in terms of writing, arranging, and performance. I'll get into details some other time. Main question first is percussion: obviously a lot of it isn't organic instruments, but in some moments it does sound real. Can you talk about what you did for percussion sounds throughout? Also, what are your plans for this album? Selling, if so, through whom?

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:03 AM »

I had to use a midi keyboard to play...lame, I know. I am a drummer mainly!  LOL so that is even funnier to me. The album would sound much better if I had drum mics etc, but I tried to be as DIY as possible.

for proof, you can here some of my drumming here:

http://www.myspace.com/adamsoutrocks

I hope you enjoy the latter half!
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 03, 2010, 09:51:46 AM »

Oh yeah, and as for selling, I'd love to. I'd really just be more pleased though if people would just listen and hear it. That to me is the best I could ask for! I just want to share my tunes.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 03, 2010, 09:53:47 AM »

I had to use a midi keyboard to play...lame, I know.
Nah, not lame. You use what you have available. If a person waits for the perfect situation, nothing ever gets done.

the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 06, 2010, 06:15:06 PM »

Listened over these past few days, but wasnt able to get on this site to post responses. I'll tell you more presently. Overall: good work.

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2010, 07:27:57 AM »

Thanks! Apparently lots of other people have been viewing this thread. I'd love some other thoughts if people have the time to post!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: July 14, 2010, 09:06:23 AM »

Hey D, just finished listening to it - it's incredible! Really loved the harmonies and little snippets - and i was surprised how briskly it moved for a forty song record too. Some great, great tunes on there. You got any artwork for it?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: July 14, 2010, 02:45:33 PM »

Blimey, there's a lot of music on this! Only had a cursory listen but very nice sounding, lovely production and a lot of work has been put in. How long did it take you to do in total?

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 14, 2010, 08:59:00 PM »

Matt- thanks! This took me 2 years. My man Mr. Hat...add me on facebook: Dylan Samore

My main profile pic is the artwork. I'd love to give it to you for free as well  Smiley

Thanks so much for listening and adding your thoughts.

Much love.
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2010, 09:01:23 PM »

Congratulations DSamore! itīs a great collection of very creative pieces. I like very much the combination of "conventional" rockpop-surf  songs  the more experimental material, the snipets. Very clever really, it is noticed the hard work and inspiration, good for you! and thanks for sharing with us Smiley
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 15, 2010, 09:39:31 AM »

Listening to some of this again now. I know I've said it before, but I like your voice, which is very youthfully energetic. Bratty in a good way--brash, trebly and confident--reminding me of Ben Folds in that regard. Lots of (here's the same word again) energy in these songs in a way that reminds me of the pop-punk and ska revival of my college days (second half of the '90s), although obviously filtered through some different influences and vocally and arrangement-wise about 100x more interesting.

kwan_dk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: August 17, 2010, 02:14:17 PM »

Hey Dylan

I've also had time to listen to your album now - thanks for sharing it with us man. 

Naturally, with 40(!) tracks some stand out more than others, but generally I like what I hear. Great vocals and I find it both admirable and impressive that you've tried your hand at so many styles, even rap/hip-hop and reggae!  Smiley I'm obviously not as broadminded as you since the songs that immidately caught my ears were the most BB-sounding; 'Every Night I Know is Such a Lie', 'She's the One', 'Nightsong', 'Items' etc. Good stuff indeed.

Oh, and I think your vocals are really awesome!

Keep up the good work.

Martin
/ Surf School Dropouts

DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 22, 2010, 10:40:45 PM »

Thanks Martin and Luther. I just got back on here after some time away. Appreciated all around. Thanks for listening and responding!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 06, 2010, 11:23:13 AM »

Just listened again to "Held" from this album. It's really clever, and in spots really pretty. The "we slipped away to be alone for a while" part just before the 1-minute mark is really very pretty. The 1:52 busy instrumental part is also really enjoyable.

Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: September 06, 2010, 06:23:24 PM »

On this!  Pirate

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
DSamore
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2010, 11:25:25 PM »

thanks for listening! I'm also collaborating with the man from another place- look out for that!  Smiley
gfx
Pages: [1] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx