gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680813 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:26:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Like In I Love You" Is Streaming  (Read 30958 times)
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: July 04, 2010, 02:58:36 PM »

I think that the current band's vocal sound will work just fine within the jazzy feel of this new album.

BTW: "they don't sound like the beach boys" is not fair criticisim. Who does?

As late as the S&S album those guys were singing terrific group vocals.

The fact that you don't grasp this song on first listen is indicative of the fact that this is something special. Best BW vocal in ages, sophisticated melody and chord progression, ultra cool intro and outro, pretty lyric, richiness of sound... Man who would have thought 30 years ago that BW would still be recording music like this in his late 60s?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #201 on: July 04, 2010, 03:18:39 PM »

after a few days listening my verdict is in ('cos I'm certain everyone cares Undecided)...not bad
the one thing I miss most of all from BW, and maybe from music in general, is the possibility of things going wrong. In other words, there never seems to be the chance one might hear a mistake. Everything gets fixed in the mix and it's gettin' to the point where all music (at least major label stuff) is super bland.
This song is a prime example; everything is perfect, and perfect is not what I like about BW. I like coughs and basses that jump in too early. I like missed double-tracking and goofed lyrics. I like the human element that seems to be completely lacking in the stuff I've been hearing lately.
Back to this song...I enjoy it, but hope this isn't the best track on the album.
blah blah blah

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: July 05, 2010, 07:07:00 AM »

I second the above.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #203 on: July 05, 2010, 01:35:44 PM »

and how or why does technically "perfect" equal bland?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: July 05, 2010, 02:06:00 PM »

When performing Gershwin, it had better be perfect. Otherwise it will be torn to shreds by the critics. This is not your typical Beach Boys record, nor a typical rock and roll record. There could be other reasons for it to be bland, but being technically proficient to play and sing it should not be one of them.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: July 05, 2010, 02:23:33 PM »

being technically proficient to play and sing it should not be one of them.

That's not the issue at all with "perfect" recordings - not the performance or performers, so much, but the production etc.

I don't entirely agree in the case of this song, although I still hear the autotune and that is one thing about "perfection" that bugs me. Things like this take the human element out of music, it becomes sterile, there's no room for anything to breathe, etc.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: July 05, 2010, 04:53:57 PM »

Thank you grillo, you said exactly what I was trying to get across. It's sad how recorded music relies on digital alteration so much these days (saying this while listening to Disney Girls).   angel
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: July 05, 2010, 05:34:14 PM »

Thank you grillo, you said exactly what I was trying to get across. It's sad how recorded music relies on digital alteration so much these days (saying this while listening to Disney Girls).   angel
you are  welcome Cool

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: July 06, 2010, 02:39:47 PM »

Brian's voice isn't what it used to be. To be perfect in performance, autotune may be required. Come on everyone,  the man is 68 years old. Do you really want another Gettin' In Over My Head? I am just happy and thrilled that Brian is still recording.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: July 06, 2010, 04:40:03 PM »

Brian's voice isn't what it used to be. To be perfect in performance, autotune may be required. Come on everyone,  the man is 68 years old. Do you really want another Gettin' In Over My Head? I am just happy and thrilled that Brian is still recording.

Brian can sing just fine, no autotune, if he gives a sh*t or is encouraged by others. Autotune is not necessary for him to sound good.

Gettin' in Over My Head's biggest problem with the vocals was they were seemingly always doubled (regardless of if it fit or not), always caked with an absolutely ridiculous amount of reverb, and then buried. Autotune, if it wasn't used, couldn't have made those vocals better.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: July 07, 2010, 03:45:38 PM »

Yes, he does sing just fine, but just not as great as needed for this type of material. Brian sings Ok, but he is 68 years old. Nobody's pipes are that great at that age. I have no problem with autotune if used sparingly.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: July 07, 2010, 06:17:21 PM »

I haven't written much about my impressions -- mainly because it took some time to grow on me. This is a much different, more thoughtful kind of song from Brian, where you see him wrestling with a past source and tearing some of it down and building on other parts. In a way, I'm glad for the outside set of ears on the remix. I think a sophisticated, just this side of AC mix is probably what a project like this needs.

But nothing would work unless Brian were interested and involved -- and once he is, look out. I increasingly think, like AGD, that we're in for something quite special. Not TLOS. Not Smile. But something combining the big band ethos of Adult Child with production touches from Today (and of course a few surf licks here or there) and a seasoned team of backing musicians who can play must about anything.

Good times.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: July 07, 2010, 07:31:06 PM »

Yes, he does sing just fine, but just not as great as needed for this type of material. Brian sings Ok, but he is 68 years old. Nobody's pipes are that great at that age. I have no problem with autotune if used sparingly.

It's not used sparingly, and what I'm saying is that if they'd applied a bit of pitch correction to the few notes that needed it, it would sound worlds better than running the entire vocal through an autotune filter. Pitch correction or autotune will not fix sh*t tone - Brian's tone is great here, no computer trickery can create that.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: July 08, 2010, 04:22:12 PM »

It's not used sparingly, and what I'm saying is that if they'd applied a bit of pitch correction to the few notes that needed it, it would sound worlds better than running the entire vocal through an autotune filter. Pitch correction or autotune will not fix merda tone - Brian's tone is great here, no computer trickery can create that.

Check out Michael Bauble's hit single from last year ("Haven't Met You Yet") to hear autotune destroy a decent vocal. That sound is everywhere today and it's especially annoying to hear it in supposedly organic genres like "alternative" rock. As far as I'm concerned, the use of autotune on Brian's vocals has been subtle and has not approached the overkill use that is currently so common.

"The Like In I Love You" is quite charming. It's unmistakably Brian. I'd be weeping if you told me thirty years ago that Brian would release a record this inspired in 2010. Over the past decade, I've kind of gotten use to the man putting out some pretty high quality stuff - it's a nice thing to get used to.
gsmile
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: July 13, 2010, 09:44:27 AM »

Anyone else hear a snippet of "The Spirit of Rock n' Roll" in the intro to "The Like In I Love You"?  Specificially the "as long's there's music we'll all live forever" melody.

Quote from: So cold I go burr
There are people who have taken LSD thousands of times and are as sane as Jeff Foskett. Well, that's a bad example, because Jeff hates Love You and that's INSANE.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #215 on: July 13, 2010, 10:33:05 AM »

It's not used sparingly, and what I'm saying is that if they'd applied a bit of pitch correction to the few notes that needed it, it would sound worlds better than running the entire vocal through an autotune filter.

Thing is, they didn't. No auto tune on this song or, I'm lead to believe, the whole album.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: July 13, 2010, 11:46:03 AM »

Oops!
« Last Edit: July 14, 2010, 12:11:17 PM by brother john » Logged

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: July 13, 2010, 02:47:36 PM »

Brian sings Ok, but he is 68 years old. Nobody's pipes are that great at that age.

Funny you mention this now. I was watching a clip of Petula Clark from a couple of years back. (she's 78 this year) This is the last song of the gig and she must have looked after her voice compared to Brian. At the end of a show he's struggling.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=B0T_EPeGj20
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #218 on: July 13, 2010, 03:08:49 PM »

Brian's voice is actually in decent shape -- not great, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been (and arguably better than it was 10 or 20 years ago). His tone and phrasing are better than they used to be, and his pitch -- well, some days are better than others. (See the other thread about Elton John -- he's five years younger than Brian and arguably has the voice in worse shape.)

Female performers tend to take better care of their voices, I think, and certainly jazz and standard-type singers like Ms. Clark often sing into their 80s with great accuracy and emotion (and Petula Clark is doing a lot of work in that performance to disguise any age in her voice -- she shouts instead of sings at one point, and her vibrato is a little wobbly, but the spirit and performance make it all fade away).
MD
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: July 13, 2010, 05:40:52 PM »

Anyone else hear a snippet of "The Spirit of Rock n' Roll" in the intro to "The Like In I Love You"?  Specificially the "as long's there's music we'll all live forever" melody.

Yep...That's the first thing I thought too...

Every time I play the song...I sing that snippet during the intro...  Banana
Paulos
« Reply #220 on: July 14, 2010, 09:25:25 AM »

Brian's voice is actually in decent shape -- not great, but nowhere near as bad as it could have been (and arguably better than it was 10 or 20 years ago). His tone and phrasing are better than they used to be, and his pitch -- well, some days are better than others. (See the other thread about Elton John -- he's five years younger than Brian and arguably has the voice in worse shape.)

Female performers tend to take better care of their voices, I think, and certainly jazz and standard-type singers like Ms. Clark often sing into their 80s with great accuracy and emotion (and Petula Clark is doing a lot of work in that performance to disguise any age in her voice -- she shouts instead of sings at one point, and her vibrato is a little wobbly, but the spirit and performance make it all fade away).

Have you head Joni Mitchells voice laltely? I heard her doing Big Yellow Taxi live a year ago or so and could not believe how worn and broken her voice sounded, her voice in the early 70s was a thing of almost overwhelming beauty, same can be said of Brian's 60's voice.
brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #221 on: July 14, 2010, 12:15:56 PM »

Somebody famous who knows her who I can't remember but who I read about recently described her as 'one of the last Great Smokers', though I don't think she does now. She acknowledges that her voice has changed but (naively) doesn't ascribe it to smoking, which of course is the reason she hasn't got one any more. Brian should count himself lucky he has a voice at all.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #222 on: July 14, 2010, 12:31:46 PM »

Sounds like something the Cros would say.  Cheesy

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Amy B.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #223 on: July 14, 2010, 01:02:32 PM »

Have you head Joni Mitchells voice laltely? I heard her doing Big Yellow Taxi live a year ago or so and could not believe how worn and broken her voice sounded, her voice in the early 70s was a thing of almost overwhelming beauty, same can be said of Brian's 60's voice.

I heard her remake of "Both Sides Now," (which she admittedly recorded 10 years ago) and thought it was, in many ways, better than the original. Her older, husky voice made it incredibly effective.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: July 14, 2010, 03:01:37 PM »

Bob Dylan to thread!

But yes, Brian's voice is rather incredible considering the sheer hell he's subjected it to over the past 40 yearss - Dylan did barely half of what Brian did to himself and he can barely spit out the words nowadays.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx