gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 10:42:24 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: 50th anniversary latest  (Read 36422 times)
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #175 on: July 18, 2010, 09:15:05 PM »

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's unescapable.
Inescapable! That's just inbelieveable.

PLEASE tell me you're not the kind of butthole who calls people out on spelling errors on a messageboard.  

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unescapable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inbelieveable
I'm makin' a joke man, about hypocrisy, chastising your spelling error while having one of my own.

Jokes are funny, though.  And "Unescapable" is an accepted spelling of the word... so you  may just want to leave the funny bits to the comedians.  It's annoying as hell when people point out spelling mistakes.  Just my opinion!
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #176 on: July 18, 2010, 09:16:10 PM »

Regarding Brian playing piano/keyboard or bass and singing, can he still mentally sing and play simultaniously? I'm not trying to belittle or insult the man. Landy's "medicine" did some very real, permanent damage. Does Brian still have the concentration to both play and sing at the same time? For an extended period, I mean. Several songs in a row. I'm sure Brian could probably handle a part of a song, or even a complete song.

Sure he does, man.  He just doesn't feel like it, which is probably his opinion of the 50th reunion, lol.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #177 on: July 19, 2010, 02:10:16 AM »

Everybody is a hypocrite, it's unescapable.
Inescapable! That's just inbelieveable.

PLEASE tell me you're not the kind of butthole who calls people out on spelling errors on a messageboard. 

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/unescapable

http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/inbelieveable
I'm makin' a joke man, about hypocrisy, chastising your spelling error while having one of my own.

Jokes are funny, though.  And "Unescapable" is an accepted spelling of the word... so you  may just want to leave the funny bits to the comedians.  It's annoying as hell when people point out spelling mistakes.  Just my opinion!

Time for a cooling-off....

“We live in divisive times.”
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #178 on: July 19, 2010, 02:41:32 PM »

Mike Love is expected to make a statement about the 50th anniversary on 101.1 WCBS FM tomorrow morning:
http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2010/07/19/beach-boys-announcement-from-mike-love-tomorrow-morning/

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #179 on: July 20, 2010, 04:14:24 AM »

Mike Love is expected to make a statement about the 50th anniversary on 101.1 WCBS FM tomorrow morning:
http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2010/07/19/beach-boys-announcement-from-mike-love-tomorrow-morning/

Interesting. I don't know if he would make an announcement like that just to dismiss the rumours of a reunion....

On the other hand, maybe he'll just announce some new releases
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:15:20 AM by Rocker » Logged

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #180 on: July 20, 2010, 05:28:08 AM »

On the other hand, maybe he'll just announce some new releases

I don't know about you guys, but I hope we'll FINALLY get that Stars & Stripes Vol. 2!

Grin
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #181 on: July 20, 2010, 06:48:27 AM »

Mike and Brian to record after 15 years:
http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2010/07/20/mike-loves-statement-about-the-beach-boys-50th-anniversary/#more-12786

Although it still seems like it's not set in stone lol.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 06:49:34 AM by Wrightfan » Logged
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #182 on: July 20, 2010, 07:06:31 AM »

I like where this is going.
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #183 on: July 20, 2010, 10:10:56 AM »

I like where this is going.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=opcmQFccWK0

Me too....  Grin

But I really hope that something will happen studio-wise

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
paterno4ever
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #184 on: July 25, 2010, 12:07:08 PM »

Question: would Kokomo and other of Love's "gems" not involving Brian be played on this reunion involving Brian or would that just be a slap in the face? Or make Brian want to vomit?
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #185 on: July 25, 2010, 02:25:00 PM »

http://wcbsfm.radio.com/2010/07/20/mike-loves-statement-about-the-beach-boys-50th-anniversary/#more-12786

Ya know what tho? If the two of them recorded together, I would venture to guess that Mike would expect the material to be 'the formula'...no innovation...we'd hear mostly redoes of classic songs, and two or three originals (of which would probably sound like out-takes from 'Still Cruisin'). Heck, even if they toured together, can you see Mike onstage playing 'Cabinessence' or 'Surf's Up' without looking like a tool?

Brian is working on INNOVATIVE music that is going to sell bigtime (can't wait for Aug 17!!!!!) - I think he should continue to do that....not get caught up in nostalgia.

Besides, the conversation with Mike and Brian probably went something like this:

[Mike is counting his earnings from the previous nights show - decides he doesn't have enough and calls up the Brian camp with a 'great' idea about recording together]
[Brian, simultaneously is polishing up a BWRG song in the engineering room]

Brian's manager: "Bri, you got a phone call from Mike, says he wants to get together and record"
Brian: "Okay" acknowledging the fact that his cousin called, walking away to fiddle with a particular sound on the mixing table, and then totally forgetting about the call.

I guess it is because I didn't grow up when the Beach Boys were in their prime (and thus never saw them in concert or never felt the excitement of getting a brand new vinyl of 'Sunflower'), but I don't see the point in a reunion tour or a studio album....it seems to me it would hold Brian back from creating more music.
« Last Edit: July 25, 2010, 02:26:10 PM by rab2591 » Logged

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #186 on: July 25, 2010, 02:54:17 PM »

I guess it is because I didn't grow up when the Beach Boys were in their prime (and thus never saw them in concert or never felt the excitement of getting a brand new vinyl of 'Sunflower'), but I don't see the point in a reunion tour or a studio album....it seems to me it would hold Brian back from creating more music.

This is just my take... the point would be, next year will be the 50th anniversary of this thing we call "The Beach Boys", 50 years that is, essentially, unbroken: since December 1961, there hasn't been a year go by without at least 50 shows by a band containing at least one founding member. That in itself is worth celebrating. More importantly, next year these guys will be 70, 69, 69, 69 and 63: there won't be a 60th anniversary with all five present and I wouldn't lay odds on them all making the 55th. They're family, or the next best thing, friends pretty much forever. Frankly, I don't imagine any reunion show(s) would be musically outstanding... but just to see them up there once more, gathered around one mike and singing "Surfer Girl", or "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring", well, if the thought of that doesn't move you then nothing will.

Of course, no Carl and no Dennis. How could there be ? They're dead, and have been so for, respectively, 12 and 26 years, but they've lived on in the music. Their physical absence is no reason for not celebrating the anniversary, and I think Brian will understand that and make the effort.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #187 on: July 25, 2010, 03:05:21 PM »

Frankly, I don't imagine any reunion show(s) would be musically outstanding... but just to see them up there once more, gathered around one mike and singing "Surfer Girl", or "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring", well, if the thought of that doesn't move you then nothing will.

I feel that the central part of most good music is spirituality, and I suppose that Mike, Al, and Brian singing around a mic for one last concert together would be heavily spiritual and thus moving, so I see your point. Like I said, I didn't grow up with them when they were all around a mic together, so I really never thought about it that way.

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #188 on: July 25, 2010, 03:22:53 PM »

I think some sort of commemoration is in order. A live show, with Brian singing "God Only Knows" and doing his parts in "Surfer Girl" and "Do It Again" would be appropriate, if ultimately unremarkable.

A recording would be better. Indulge me for a second.

I'd like a two-disc set of hits and new material, with the new material being led off by the three BB tracks from the mid-90s -- Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery are releasable now -- with the guys finishing vocals on Dancing the Night Away. Brian and Mike could maybe three new tunes, Al could contribute "Don't Fight the Sea" and some other tune he's been sitting on for 30 years. That's eight tracks right there. Bruce or Dave could have a tune. And heck, just overdub a couple of other Paley sessions tracks -- Chain Reaction of Love is begging for a Mike vocal, and Some Sweet Day is perhaps Brian's best unreleased pop moment. There you have it!

New disk:

1.) Soul Searchin
2.) Back to the Beach (new Wilson / Love)
3.) Don't Fight the Sea
4.) Chain Reaction of Love
5.) Drag Race Love Affair (new Wilson / Love)
6.) My rewrite of "Goodnight Irene" (new Al)
7.) I Write the Songs (hot mix)
8.) Some Sweet Day
9.) High School in my Heart (new Wilson / Love)
10.) Dancin' the Night Away
11.) You're Still a Mystery

Easy!
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #189 on: July 25, 2010, 03:43:05 PM »

I think some sort of commemoration is in order. A live show, with Brian singing "God Only Knows" and doing his parts in "Surfer Girl" and "Do It Again" would be appropriate, if ultimately unremarkable.

A recording would be better. Indulge me for a second.

I'd like a two-disc set of hits and new material, with the new material being led off by the three BB tracks from the mid-90s -- Soul Searchin' and You're Still A Mystery are releasable now -- with the guys finishing vocals on Dancing the Night Away. Brian and Mike could maybe three new tunes, Al could contribute "Don't Fight the Sea" and some other tune he's been sitting on for 30 years. That's eight tracks right there. Bruce or Dave could have a tune. And heck, just overdub a couple of other Paley sessions tracks -- Chain Reaction of Love is begging for a Mike vocal, and Some Sweet Day is perhaps Brian's best unreleased pop moment. There you have it!

New disk:

1.) Soul Searchin
2.) Back to the Beach (new Wilson / Love)
3.) Don't Fight the Sea
4.) Chain Reaction of Love
5.) Drag Race Love Affair (new Wilson / Love)
6.) My rewrite of "Goodnight Irene" (new Al)
7.) I Write the Songs (hot mix)
8.) Some Sweet Day
9.) High School in my Heart (new Wilson / Love)
10.) Dancin' the Night Away
11.) You're Still a Mystery

Easy!

You've sold me on the idea. Brian obviously still has a great voice...the latest posting on the youtube thread of Mike singing 'Disney Girls' showed me he can still sing. Al (proof on Postcards) can still sing. And Brian could really make some great originals.

Ok, I admit I was wrong about alluding that it would be a disaster. Besides, I WOULD love to hear a cover of 'And Your Dreams Come True'.

SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #190 on: July 25, 2010, 03:45:44 PM »

This is just my take... the point would be, next year will be the 50th anniversary of this thing we call "The Beach Boys", 50 years that is, essentially, unbroken: since December 1961, there hasn't been a year go by without at least 50 shows by a band containing at least one founding member. That in itself is worth celebrating. More importantly, next year these guys will be 70, 69, 69, 69 and 63: there won't be a 60th anniversary with all five present and I wouldn't lay odds on them all making the 55th. They're family, or the next best thing, friends pretty much forever. Frankly, I don't imagine any reunion show(s) would be musically outstanding... but just to see them up there once more, gathered around one mike and singing "Surfer Girl", or "Their Hearts Were Full Of Spring", well, if the thought of that doesn't move you then nothing will.

Of course, no Carl and no Dennis. How could there be ? They're dead, and have been so for, respectively, 12 and 26 years, but they've lived on in the music. Their physical absence is no reason for not celebrating the anniversary, and I think Brian will understand that and make the effort.

Perfectly put!

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #191 on: July 26, 2010, 02:50:35 AM »

Exactly! Does anybody want "Stars and Stripes" to go down as the last project the entire surviving members were involved in? They are in a unique once in a lifetime position right now to celebrate their legacy to the full. If they blow this opportunity now it will never come again. They won't be able to do it as 80 year olds. As long as diehards don't judge them by or expect them to reach the creative heights of a "God Only Knows" or perform live to the standard of "In Concert '73" than as a fan how can you not be happy?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #192 on: July 26, 2010, 03:22:08 AM »

Exactly! Does anybody want "Stars and Stripes" to go down as the last project the entire surviving members were involved in? They are in a unique once in a lifetime position right now to celebrate their legacy to the full. If they blow this opportunity now it will never come again. They won't be able to do it as 80 year olds. As long as diehards don't judge them by or expect them to reach the creative heights of a "God Only Knows" or perform live to the standard of "In Concert '73" than as a fan how can you not be happy?

Here's how you can not be happy.  Grin

"No Carl, no Dennis - no real reunion"...

"Mike's only in it for the money/publicity/ego"...

"Alan's only in it for the money/publicity/ego"...

"Brian shouldn't be forced into participating in this pantomime"...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #193 on: July 26, 2010, 03:28:55 AM »

When Carl was still alive, The Beach Boys very frequently performed with just one Wilson on stage and I don't think anybody said then that it wasn't really The Beach Boys... So I don't see why it shouldn't be now...
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #194 on: July 26, 2010, 04:04:02 AM »

When Carl was still alive, The Beach Boys very frequently performed with just one Wilson on stage and I don't think anybody said then that it wasn't really The Beach Boys... So I don't see why it shouldn't be now...

You may be surprised to know that several people DID say just that.  And one rather famous fan (with the initials DP) even held the opinon that they stopped being "The Beach Boys" when the number of Wilsons onstage went from three to two!
shelter
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #195 on: July 26, 2010, 04:49:57 AM »

You may be surprised to know that several people DID say just that.  And one rather famous fan (with the initials DP) even held the opinon that they stopped being "The Beach Boys" when the number of Wilsons onstage went from three to two!

In 1964? Jeez...
« Last Edit: July 26, 2010, 05:05:49 AM by shelter » Logged
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #196 on: July 26, 2010, 01:46:37 PM »

Sorry if this has been posted

http://www.billboard.com/news?tag=nav#/news/beach-boys-love-talks-reunion-plans-katy-1004106085.story

Mike sat down with billboard

The Beach Boys will celebrate the 50th anniversary of their first single in 2011, but the group's Mike Love says that any specific reports about how they'll do that are premature.

"There have been a lot of ideas floated, but nothing decided," the senior remaining Beach Boy tells Billboard.com. "So far it's just conversation. There are no big plans yet -- although there's a lot of interest from a lot of people to see what would happen if we got together and did some new music and maybe did some shows. But so far nothing's firm."

Former group member Al Jardine recently said the group -- including Brian Wilson, Bruce Johnston and early member David Marks -- would reunite in 2011 for at least one reunion show, probably free. And an early suggestion was made that Wilson and Love would be collaborating on some new material, but that was rebuffed by Wilson's management, who cited his focus on his upcoming "Brian Wilson Reimagines Gershwin," due Aug. 17.

Billboard Bits: Beach Boys Reunion a Possibility

"I've had a few conversations recently with my cousin Brian...about doing some musical projects together," Love says. "But we're busy touring, he's busy recording and doing some dates, so in the fall we'll get more focused on it." Love says he himself has recorded "18 to 20 songs that I have yet to come out with," including tunes inspired by his experiences with Transcendental Meditation and the Maharashi Mahesh Yogi and a song entitled "Pisces Brothers," which Love describes as "a reminiscence about George Harrison."

Meanwhile, Love says he's getting his head around the idea that it's been 50 years since the Beach Boys released their debut single, "Surfin'." "It's a pretty remarkable landmark," he says. "I'm almost at a loss for words, but it is pretty damn special to even contemplate doing something 50 years after you started. It's pretty amazing to still have our music in films and people coming to see us five decades are we started. Initially the subject matter was so unique -- songs about surfing, great cars, being true to your school, California girls. And the subject matter is still in vogue -- just ask Katy Perry."

And Love's thoughts about Perry's "California Gurls?" "I think the part she did is pretty cool," he says. "There are a lot of writers on it, and I think it's probably a stroke of genius to have the king of canine cool, Mr. [Snoop] Dogg, do his thing. But I think her creative part, her musical part, is pretty hooky. I think it brings the Beach Boys' 1965 classic to mind, that's for sure."

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #197 on: July 26, 2010, 03:05:55 PM »

You may be surprised to know that several people DID say just that.  And one rather famous fan (with the initials DP) even held the opinon that they stopped being "The Beach Boys" when the number of Wilsons onstage went from three to two!

In 1964? Jeez...
Actually spring '63 tour...Brian didn't go, Al filled in for him.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #198 on: August 03, 2010, 04:24:22 PM »

http://www.ctpost.com/entertainment/article/The-Beach-Boys-Band-wraps-Alive-Five-series-601396.php

Bruce Johnston, who joined the group in 1965 and tours with the Love-led incarnation of the group, the Beach Boys Band, "hadn't really thought about it." But after some prodding, Johnston finally came up with an idea -- and it will have diehard fans salivating.

"Everyone's going really nuts and asking, `Are we going to do it?' " Johnston said during an interview from New Jersey last week.

Johnston envisions a "Beach Boys convention," with every living person who has ever been part of the band hosting informal seminars, vocal classes and unplugged performances.

"That's my pie-in-the-sky plan," he said. "Who knows if it's going to happen?"
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #199 on: August 03, 2010, 04:38:51 PM »

Ya know what tho? If the two of them recorded together, I would venture to guess that Mike would expect the material to be 'the formula'...no innovation...we'd hear mostly redoes of classic songs, and two or three originals (of which would probably sound like out-takes from 'Still Cruisin'). Heck, even if they toured together, can you see Mike onstage playing 'Cabinessence' or 'Surf's Up' without looking like a tool?

Have you heard "Cool Head, Warm Heart" ?  That's not the formula.  It's actually pretty decent, in my opinion. 
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 5 6 7 [8] 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx