-->
Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:59:09 PM

Login with username, password and session length
Search:     Advanced search
News: Endless Summer Quarterly
Home Help Search Calendar Login Register
+  The Smiley Smile Message Board
|-+  Non Smiley Smile Stuff
| |-+  The Sandbox
| | |-+  Re: Brian not present for Gershwin Prize...aka The American Vanity Thread
Pages: 1 [2]   Go Down
Print
Author Topic: Re: Brian not present for Gershwin Prize...aka The American Vanity Thread  (Read 11888 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #25 on: June 09, 2010, 09:41:32 AM »

See, what's happening here is people putting words in my mouth. Not defending Obama, mainly because I'm English and we've got a bad enough mess over here (due in part to Blair licking Bush's ass when asked to, and frequently when not), thanks. Just want to know why Dave in KC gets so het up about it all. Personally, I find politics uninteresting because, when it comes down to it, all politicians will promise anything to get elected, then spend the rest of their time in office explaining why they can't walk the walk. If I detest anything, it's the obscene brand of political correctness that (over here at least), makes me run the risk of being branded a racist when all I'm being is patriotic (can't upset the muslims, you see, they're oppressed, and the sight of an English flag on our national day could be offensive to them: to which my reply is simple - well f*** off back home, then).

Where was I ? Oh, yes...

Again, I asked a simple question, one that has a simple answer, which I'm still awaiting.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: June 09, 2010, 10:00:35 AM »

over here (due in part to Blair licking Bush's ass when asked to, and frequently when not), thanks. Just want to know why Dave in KC gets so het up about it all. Personally, I find politics uninteresting because, when it comes down to it, all politicians will promise anything to get elected, then spend the rest of their time in office explaining why they can't walk the walk. If I detest anything, it's the obscene brand of political correctness that (over here at least), makes me run the risk of being branded a racist when all I'm being is patriotic (can't upset the muslims, you see, they're oppressed, and the sight of an English flag on our national day could be offensive to them: to which my reply is simple - well f*** off back home, then).

1) Exactly...when I vote, I pretty much vote for whomever is the lesser of two evils.

2). With your second point...it's amazing how similar our two countries are.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: June 10, 2010, 10:30:24 AM »

Q: How can you tell when a politician is lying?
A: His lips are moving!    Wink

I refuse to vote. As the guys from South Park so diligently put it "you always end up having to choose between a douche and a turd".

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Exapno Mapcase
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: June 10, 2010, 11:20:18 AM »

Maybe it was the word 'minstrel' that prompted some doubt in AGD's mind.  Did with me.

Honk! Honk!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: June 10, 2010, 11:35:28 AM »

He meant the term 'minstrel' as in McCartney was that night Obama's personal musician to play at his command, not the kind where some guy paints his face black and dances around in turn of the century vaudeville acts.  Roll Eyes

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: June 10, 2010, 12:20:58 PM »

He meant the term 'minstrel' as in McCartney was that night Obama's personal musician to play at his command, not the kind where some guy paints his face black and dances around in turn of the century vaudeville acts.  Roll Eyes

Go up to anyone in the street, say 'minstrel', and I'll bet you they won't say 'Blondel de Nesle', 'Alan a Dale' or the like. Minstrel in the US has a very specific connotation. Hence my question.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: June 10, 2010, 04:28:45 PM »

This thread (or splinter thread) certainly became fantastic.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: June 10, 2010, 05:23:22 PM »

Go up to anyone in the street, say 'minstrel', and I'll bet you they won't say 'Blondel de Nesle', 'Alan a Dale' or the like. Minstrel in the US has a very specific connotation. Hence my question.
Not too sure about that. I'll be out later and might try testing your theory, but I think 'wandering bard' when I hear minstrel, or, worse, New Christy Minstrels. Now, my grandfather might think 'blackface', but the only people I ever hear talking about race are the well-meaning 'liberals' who seem to like to bring it up any chance they get. I think its called 'race-bating'.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: June 10, 2010, 06:55:39 PM »

I live in Rednickville, USA, and surprised I haven't had a burning cross on my front porch yet...I think the vast majority of the people I live around would disagree with you. I guess they haven't realized it's 2010.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: June 10, 2010, 07:04:53 PM »

I may be in what may have once been considered nearly opposite of Redneckville, USA (though we're ever-further right) and was going to say something similar, but didn't want to seem as if I were baiting conservatives. I'll avoid assigning the reason people of any political stripe bring up race, but note that it seems an implicit or explicit topic pretty often by people all over the political map, and probably for a variety of reasons (even within each of those groups).

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: June 11, 2010, 12:47:14 PM »

When someone happens to be black... and they get attacked.... and a passerby says "That man is black, and is getting attacked because he's black".....

I'd say the only thing we know for certain is that the passerby is racist. 
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: June 11, 2010, 12:51:50 PM »

Nah, faulty logic. What if the passerby had only ever (or even primarily) witnessed attacks in the context of race-based attacks? Then it would be an understandable assumption, even if incorrect.

Pages: 1 [2]   Go Up
Print
Jump to: