gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 11:03:01 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: "The Beach Boys 1985" and "Summer In Paradise" outtakes and studio sessions.  (Read 6802 times)
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: May 01, 2010, 12:53:32 AM »

I tried to ask this in another thread a few months ago, but it never really caught on. So I figured I'd see how an entire thread about it goes. It seems to me that there are not a lot of outtakes or session tapes from the self titled 1985 album, Still Crusin, and Summer In Paradise albums. I was just wondering why that is. To be picky about it, it seems like not a lot has surfaced past the Keepin The Summer Alive album. I have heard a version of "At The Hop", and outtakes of "She Believes In Love Again" and "Getcha Back", but that's it. I know that starting with the 1985 album, the group recorded digitally. I think they used pretty much nothing but Pro Tools on "Summer In Paradise". Do actual "session tapes" even exist? Or did they just load demos on to a computer, and overdub it piece by piece?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2010, 01:22:54 AM »

Seriously... would you want to hear any SIP outtakes ?

For tracks recorded during the sessions for the 1985 album, suggest you check these two pages out:

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs84.html

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs85.html

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2010, 01:28:18 AM »

there's a lot of different mixes (single mix) of different BB singles like Rock and Roll To the Rescue, Problem Child, Island Girl, etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: May 01, 2010, 01:40:11 AM »

Wow...Now I've heard it all...S.I.P. outtakes & mixes...All the best in your quest...-)
Dutchie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2010, 01:44:53 AM »

i also have a bad quality of California Calling with only Al Jardine's vocals. I like it more than the released one Roll Eyes

Still cruisin'could have been filled with more recent songs like chasing the sky, lady liberty, problem child etc...

I never heard from any out takes on SIP. I wonder if there are any songs recorded that didnt make it to the album.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2010, 01:48:48 AM by Dutchie » Logged
Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: May 01, 2010, 02:50:33 AM »

Seriously... would you want to hear any SIP outtakes ?

For tracks recorded during the sessions for the 1985 album, suggest you check these two pages out:

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs84.html

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs85.html

Interesting. I guess "And I always will" is the Jardie-number he's putting on his soloalbum, right?

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: May 01, 2010, 09:15:41 AM »

Did they have ProTools for SIP?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #7 on: May 01, 2010, 09:28:01 AM »

... yes? What are you asking?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: May 01, 2010, 09:42:41 AM »

And apparently it was a beta version of Pro Tools.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: May 01, 2010, 11:25:47 AM »

I was just curious as to whether ProTools systems were properlly around that long ago Smiley

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #10 on: May 01, 2010, 11:33:28 AM »

i also have a bad quality of California Calling with only Al Jardine's vocals. I like it more than the released one Roll Eyes

Do you mean just Al's lead vocal, or him doing all the background parts?  And is the backing track the same as the released version?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #11 on: May 01, 2010, 11:50:50 AM »

I was just curious as to whether ProTools systems were properly around that long ago Smiley

Pro Tools are mentioned in the sleeve notes: this was one of the first CDs recorded using the program (hence the 'beta testing' information).

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: May 01, 2010, 06:53:21 PM »

I tried to ask this in another thread a few months ago, but it never really caught on. So I figured I'd see how an entire thread about it goes. It seems to me that there are not a lot of outtakes or session tapes from the self titled 1985 album, Still Crusin, and Summer In Paradise albums. I was just wondering why that is. To be picky about it, it seems like not a lot has surfaced past the Keepin The Summer Alive album. I have heard a version of "At The Hop", and outtakes of "She Believes In Love Again" and "Getcha Back", but that's it. I know that starting with the 1985 album, the group recorded digitally. I think they used pretty much nothing but Pro Tools on "Summer In Paradise". Do actual "session tapes" even exist? Or did they just load demos on to a computer, and overdub it piece by piece?
Let me try to be a little more specific. What I mean to say is, Did the band members go into the studio and actually record the songs "live" in the studio, as was the way they had been doing in the last 20 or so years? Or did each member record their parts separately?

Jason
« Reply #13 on: May 01, 2010, 07:27:53 PM »

These are the known outtakes from the '85 album -

Down By The Pier, Carl lead vocal
Oh Lord, presumably a Brian lead vocal
Water Builds Up, Brian lead vocal
At The Hop, Michael lead vocal
And I Always Will, Al lead vocal

Only At The Hop circulates, obviously. Oh Lord has been rumored for years. Don't Fight The Sea MIGHT have been worked on at one point in 1984 by at least Carl and Al, although it's not listed on Andrew's site.

There's also an acetate of rough mixes from the '85 album (including Male Ego) that goes around, the differences are minimal. There are also some different mixes for She Believes In Love Again and California Calling; the former has more synths, the latter has Al on all lead vocals.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: May 01, 2010, 10:04:46 PM »

Thanks for that info. I'm really curios about that Oh Lord session. But then again, having heard the potential in the demo, and having heard the album as the group released it, I'm almost afraid to find out what Steve Levine(Is that his name?) would have done to it.

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #15 on: May 02, 2010, 12:28:52 AM »

Thanks for that info. I'm really curios about that Oh Lord session. But then again, having heard the potential in the demo, and having heard the album as the group released it, I'm almost afraid to find out what Steve Levine(Is that his name?) would have done to it.

Levine's original (rejected) mix of the album was sparser, more synth-based.

Matt H
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: May 02, 2010, 05:24:34 AM »

Who rejected the album, the Beach Boys or the record company?

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #17 on: May 02, 2010, 07:15:12 AM »

Who rejected the album, the Beach Boys or the record company?

Both.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 02, 2010, 11:27:22 AM »

Who rejected it? Anyone with the gift of hearing I'd imagine!
« Last Edit: May 02, 2010, 11:35:52 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: May 02, 2010, 02:25:19 PM »

John Hunter Phillips posted Carl's "What You Do To Me" last night and I had a mini-binge of listening to Beach Boys '80s stuff on youtube.  It really got me thinking about how the rise of sequencers and digital recording affected every aspect of how music was made.  Not just the obvious stuff that we all know about, but subtle things.  The one that hit me the most was how, when people began to program drums instead of playing them, they often went overboard with sounds and patterns that just didn't make any musical sense.  I was particularly thinking about "Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue," a track that I happen to like a lot, but the drums just do some really weird things in the chorus.  You can tell someone is programming that on a keyboard or with pads.  25 years later, the track itself sounds cool, but the drums sound weird.  This is true of a lot of the BBs' '80s music....well, except most of it isn't as good as RRTTR in my opinion.

It occurs to me too that with digital technology you're less likely to get actual outtakes than with analog, but I'm not sure why that is, exactly (and I'm speaking as someone who's been neck-deep in both and ought to know).  That's my gut sense of it, but I can't explain it.  I think it has to do with the music being more "in the box" (e.g. a computer or, earlier, in the banks of a sequencer) so you're less likely to be making rough mixes and circulating them.  But even then, I'm not sure why it would make any difference...but my gut is that it does.
Jason
« Reply #20 on: May 02, 2010, 03:48:13 PM »

The other problem is a complete and total lack of bottom end, but that was even prevalent in analog recordings going back to the mid-1970s. An electric guitar is supposed to rock, not buzz.
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2010, 04:21:29 PM »

I was just curious as to whether ProTools systems were properly around that long ago Smiley

Pro Tools are mentioned in the sleeve notes: this was one of the first CDs recorded using the program (hence the 'beta testing' information).

Ah don't actually have the CD because everyone says how bad it is haha...thats quite interesting because I think Ricky Martin's Livin La Vida Loca was really the first track to be recorded, mixed etc exclusively within PT and this was some seven or so years later...why I asked really.  So thanks.

Sam

petsoundsnola
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 02, 2010, 04:56:49 PM »

I guess outakes and alternate takes, initial takes to build tracks etc, faded over the years as multitracking became infinite and digital recording took over.    I wouldn't mind hearing early mixes and raw demos of songs such as Maybe, I Don't Know, cause I'm such a CW fan. And I am taken by SNJ and could stand hearing a number of versions and takes of that.  I can be forgiven for wanting to hear more and varied versions of songs by my band.
I keep looking, collecting,  storing, stashing, and listening.  Like looking for gems.  Once in a while you are rewarded and it keeps you searching.
the captain
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #23 on: May 02, 2010, 05:18:24 PM »

Ah don't actually have the CD because everyone says how bad it is haha...thats quite interesting because I think Ricky Martin's Livin La Vida Loca was really the first track to be recorded, mixed etc exclusively within PT and this was some seven or so years later...why I asked really.  So thanks.

Sam
This seems unbelievably unlikely.

Demon-Fighting Genius; Patronizing Twaddler; Argumentative, Sanctimonious Prick; Sensationalist Dullard; and Douche who (occasionally to rarely) puts songs here.

No interest in your assorted grudges and nonsense.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: May 02, 2010, 07:31:20 PM »

John Hunter Phillips posted Carl's "What You Do To Me" last night and I had a mini-binge of listening to Beach Boys '80s stuff on youtube.  It really got me thinking about how the rise of sequencers and digital recording affected every aspect of how music was made.  Not just the obvious stuff that we all know about, but subtle things.  The one that hit me the most was how, when people began to program drums instead of playing them, they often went overboard with sounds and patterns that just didn't make any musical sense.  I was particularly thinking about "Rock 'n' Roll To The Rescue," a track that I happen to like a lot, but the drums just do some really weird things in the chorus.  You can tell someone is programming that on a keyboard or with pads.  25 years later, the track itself sounds cool, but the drums sound weird.  This is true of a lot of the BBs' '80s music....well, except most of it isn't as good as RRTTR in my opinion.

It occurs to me too that with digital technology you're less likely to get actual outtakes than with analog, but I'm not sure why that is, exactly (and I'm speaking as someone who's been neck-deep in both and ought to know).  That's my gut sense of it, but I can't explain it.  I think it has to do with the music being more "in the box" (e.g. a computer or, earlier, in the banks of a sequencer) so you're less likely to be making rough mixes and circulating them.  But even then, I'm not sure why it would make any difference...but my gut is that it does.
I agree with everything you just said. I'll take one step further though. In my opinion, the "digital age"(starting in, roughly, 1983) has been the true downfall of music. Starting with "new wave", on up to the "autotuning" of today. Real, true "rock" bands today(like Wolfmother, for example) are few and far between. We have to rely on the older guys like Neil Young to help us remember what true rock music used to be about.

gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx