gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 08:44:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Down Print
Author Topic: Brian's worst vocal  (Read 20093 times)
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 28, 2012, 11:13:55 PM »

most of the Sweet Insanity album has pretty awful singing. I actually have grown to love most of the songs on that album, but the singing put me off of it for years.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #101 on: April 28, 2012, 11:47:18 PM »

"Just one song please."

Probably "Just Once In My Life", where he's singing as close to flat as he can.

"Fairy Tale" is pretty crappy, too - "ever afteuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrurgh".

I am always amazed when thread start asking for one song or one event or one item how quickly it is before an exception is added. In this case, one post.
lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #102 on: April 28, 2012, 11:56:16 PM »

Dammit, rules are rules. Smiley
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #103 on: April 29, 2012, 02:03:09 PM »

"Caroline No"

Just horrible, particularly the end. "Noooooooo"

Pass the sick bag, and someone shoot those dogs!
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 30, 2012, 07:56:14 AM »

most of the Sweet Insanity album has pretty awful singing. I actually have grown to love most of the songs on that album, but the singing put me off of it for years.

It's been awhile since I've listened to Sweet Insanity.  It may be bad, but I don't remember it being that bad.  It sure is weird though.  I think his singing on GIOMH is perhaps his worst.  Especially since this is a released album.  It's just so sloppy.

I will say, Brian during the late 80's/early 90's is not an easy listen.  There's such a disconnect.  The emotions don't often fit, which gives off a sense of insincerity.   It makes one think that either someone like Gene Landy or perhaps the medication he was on (or both) were pushing him to do things he didn't have his heart in.  It's just so off-putting and bizarre. 

It's like the video of him singing (Night Time?) and dancing.  Was it a Dick Clark show or something? - from the late 80's.  It's just so odd.  His eyes say it all.  It's not that "nobody's home" -- but rather, they're chained up and scared.  And he's not alone...there's someone else in there (Landy?)  It's just weird and sad.  He looks terrified.

Technically, his voice had been shot since the mid-70s.  It's silkiness long gone.  But it still had a lot emotion and personality.  At least least during the 70's it was him that was home.  He was 300lbs and unbathed...but it was him nonetheless.

lance
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 30, 2012, 08:59:15 AM »

Vocals on GIOMH are bad in a different way. Like I said, though, the songs on SI are actually pretty good, most of them. In my opinion. Just don't like his voice 85-95, too shouty and it sounds like he had sinus problems, or as if his voiced had changed and he wasn't accepting it.
onkster
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 30, 2012, 09:47:29 AM »

Gotta disagree on SI. I think his singing is quite good sounding on that album--my issue is that the songs are mediocre at best. They're not horrible, they're just...merely OK. Which in its own way, is worse. Probably best that that album was a rehearsal for whatever was next.

I don't know if this will count, but for me, the worst vocal was the Roxy show, which they appear to have completely replaced on disk. Unless what the used was from the night I didn't see.

I kinda don't like all the discussion of Brian's "worst vocals", though here I am contributing. I need to chime in and say that since he starting really working again ('88) his vocals have generally gotten better by the year. By 2004, he sounded pretty damn good. No he doesn't have the "silky" voice of youth, but he has done remarkably well coming back from serious damage.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 30, 2012, 09:57:57 AM »

I think one of the main problems with the albums The Beach Boys '85 and Brian Wilson '88 is the fact that Brian seems to singing really energetically regardless of whether the song needed it. Like I said before, it would be like '60s/early '70s Brian using his "Wouldn't It Be Nice" or "Heroes And Villains" voice on songs like "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Caroline No". It wouldn't make any sense.

However, if you listen to stuff like "I'm So Lonely" or "Love And Mercy" or "Melt Away" he's using a more shouty voice. That works great on stuff like "Walkin' the Line" and "Male Ego" (yes I seriously like that one), but using that tone of voice for more reflective pieces just doesn't sound right in my opinion, and that is what keeps his debut solo album for being ever better. And let me say, I consider his first album essential for any Brian Wilson fan.

On Imagination he seemed to finally regain the ability to sing with a bit more subtlety. His vocals on things like "She Says That She Needs Me", "Lay Down Burden" and "Cry" are some of the best vocal work he'd done in probably 25 years at that point. He also sang the ballads on Live at the Roxy with great feel and subtlety. However, on Getting In Over My Head, he just sounded gruff and just bowled through the words without much thought it seemed. And on BWPS he did well on a few things, like "Wind Chimes", but he sounded pretty rough on that too. A lot of people though TLOS was a triumph vocally, but I kinda thought it was a bit rough.

However, I think he sounds great on this new Beach Boys material and look forward to his vocals on the new album.
Paulos
« Reply #108 on: April 30, 2012, 01:33:04 PM »

Brian worse vocal? 'Goodnight Irene', especially the verses. Terrible, just terrible.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #109 on: April 30, 2012, 02:04:04 PM »

I think one of the main problems with the albums The Beach Boys '85 and Brian Wilson '88 is the fact that Brian seems to singing really energetically regardless of whether the song needed it. Like I said before, it would be like '60s/early '70s Brian using his "Wouldn't It Be Nice" or "Heroes And Villains" voice on songs like "Please Let Me Wonder" or "Caroline No". It wouldn't make any sense.
Haha, this is really a spot-on description.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #110 on: April 30, 2012, 02:25:15 PM »

"I'm Telling You Please" is the worst.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: May 25, 2012, 03:11:05 AM »

What is it with everybody's hate of this song? It's a charming scrap of a song with nice chords, a neat lyric and gruff Brian in the 80's singing it....

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
MBE
« Reply #112 on: May 25, 2012, 04:12:01 AM »

What is it with everybody's hate of this song? It's a charming scrap of a song with nice chords, a neat lyric and gruff Brian in the 80's singing it....
It's from 1978 and Brian sounds in pain the last 40 seconds. I never heard him struggle that bad elsewhere.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #113 on: May 25, 2012, 05:31:38 AM »

Brian worse vocal? 'Goodnight Irene', especially the verses. Terrible, just terrible.

You have a point. He sounds so 'pinched', so compressed, so thin, and sometimes so much gasping for air...

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: May 25, 2012, 05:53:21 AM »

"Daddy's Little Girl". I wonder what the movie's director (or whoever) thought when Brian delivered that one.
MBE
« Reply #115 on: May 25, 2012, 05:56:33 AM »

"Daddy's Little Girl". I wonder what the movie's director (or whoever) thought when Brian delivered that one.
Yeah I was shocked at his voice when I heard that. 1975-77 was way better.
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #116 on: May 25, 2012, 06:22:02 AM »

Nighttime is pretty bad
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #117 on: May 25, 2012, 07:24:38 AM »

It's 'I'm Begging You Please', and yes, it's dire.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: May 25, 2012, 07:47:00 AM »

I like his vocal on "I'm Begging You Please" ;( I also enjoy the song, although obviously a better job could be done of the vocal and such. I wonder if Brianne ever even finished it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #119 on: May 25, 2012, 08:16:37 AM »

Goin to The Chapel.

One thing I never got about the 81/82 Beach Boys, why let Brian have such an active part in the show?? You couldn't tell how bad he was?!? He sounded awful and didn't really care, did they expect him to belt out Dont Worry Baby like it was 1964 magically one night?? By that point, the BB with or without Brian would have sold tickets.

Simple - no Carl.

THIS. IS. WHY. THEY. NEED. CARL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3PdP7ikQZM

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #120 on: May 25, 2012, 08:24:54 AM »

Goin to The Chapel.

One thing I never got about the 81/82 Beach Boys, why let Brian have such an active part in the show?? You couldn't tell how bad he was?!? He sounded awful and didn't really care, did they expect him to belt out Dont Worry Baby like it was 1964 magically one night?? By that point, the BB with or without Brian would have sold tickets.

Simple - no Carl.

THIS. IS. WHY. THEY. NEED. CARL.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=K3PdP7ikQZM

The lip sync was totally obvious anyway, so hay, may as well have Brian do it just as the icing on the cake.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
FatherOfTheMan Sr101
Smiley Smile Associate

I made a game

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: May 25, 2012, 08:27:44 AM »

Yeah, but Carl wouldn't have done that. Hahaaa

groganb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #122 on: May 25, 2012, 08:44:06 AM »

"She's Got Rhythm." Easy. Ouch, sez me.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #123 on: May 25, 2012, 10:45:14 AM »

Yeah, but Carl wouldn't have done that. Hahaaa

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fFP5-el8XfQ

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
joe_blow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #124 on: May 25, 2012, 11:10:43 AM »

Probably "Just Once In My Life", where he's singing as close to flat as he can.

"Fairy Tale" is pretty crappy, too - "ever afteuuuuuuuuurrrrrrrrrrurgh".

That's two!

Having sad that, I would go for Let's Put Our Hearts Together.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx