gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681101 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 09:58:58 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Possibility to put out unreleased material  (Read 7692 times)
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: April 07, 2010, 06:45:03 PM »

What exactly is the blooboard? I've seen in mentioned dozens of times both here and on the SDV2 board but have never bothered to google it, it is never talked about in a positive light!

It is a reference to the message board at BrianWilson.com. I have not looked for a while but it did have a blue background when it first started.

OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: April 07, 2010, 06:47:54 PM »

The only people who have a problem with Mike & Bruce touring as "The Beach Boys" are us die-hard fans. Most of the people who attend these concerts could care less who is in or out of the band. As long as it stays that way, and folks continue to go to the shows, then the shows will continue until Mike calls it quits. Also, you can call the band whatever you like, but in all cases you are wrong. Whether we like it or not, this is the 2010 version of "The Beach Boys". It's not classic, but it is the best it is ever going to get. I wouldn't be at all surprised that when Mike & Bruce retire, that a band will be put together to tour with the name. All it would take is a corporate vote at BRI to make it happen. At this point the Beach Boys are only a corporate name; a revenue stream.

I'm betting you're quite correct on this.  Most people seeing them now couldn't care less, and probably don't even know who the actual guys are/were, it's just "The Beach Boys."  
My feeling about this is, the argument is really kind of moot, because two of the key members are dead, one has been essentially banished, another would rather tour on his own, and the remaining guys using the name are so old now it won't last long.   Basically - there is no Beach Boys any more.  Not a real one.    It might have been nice had they or if they would, get together to make a decent age appropriate album of good material, but most likely that won't happen - what they'll make, if they make an album at all, will probably be...god, just something bad.  Thud
I would never go see Mike and Bruce's version of the band because I've no interest in that.   But are they entitled to do it if they want?  Yeah, and more power to them, but I'd rather see a show with all the remaing original guys w/some back up musicians play a nice stripped down show where they swap stories and just be cool, and be their ages.  That'd be the only way I'd want to see these guys now live.  Other than that, I have all their albums and will always consider them one of the greatest ever, of any time and genre.  They were  music, and they wrote the songs - but it's all very much past tense for me.
As far as a band going out under the name after all the originals retire/die - ewww.   But I suppose that's not unforseeable.
Which makes me want to ask, anyone know of any tribute bands?  Are there any around doing the beach Boys?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: April 07, 2010, 07:51:47 PM »

Take note that since Carl passed away, and "The Beach Boys" became a licensed band, that no new albums or recordings have been released. My understanding is that this is also part of the licensing agreement. This is definitely a very good thing. I'd really hate to see Mike releasing re-recorded versions of their hits. I hope that Brian & Al are never convinced to participate in a project of that nature, should the remaining Beach Boys decide to record a final album.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2010, 07:52:53 PM »

See, I disagree with the idea that anyone could tour under the Beach Boys name. Mike's distinctive nasally voice is all over the early hits, and having him lead the band makes it seem like it's BB enough. If you take out Mike, I really don't think it works.
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: April 07, 2010, 09:04:51 PM »

See, I disagree with the idea that anyone could tour under the Beach Boys name. Mike's distinctive nasally voice is all over the early hits, and having him lead the band makes it seem like it's BB enough. If you take out Mike, I really don't think it works.

Just put a clothes pin on the singers nose - nobody'd know the difference   w00t!
BJL
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: April 07, 2010, 10:25:31 PM »

I'm betting you're quite correct on this.  Most people seeing them now couldn't care less, and probably don't even know who the actual guys are/were, it's just "The Beach Boys."  
My feeling about this is, the argument is really kind of moot, because two of the key members are dead, one has been essentially banished, another would rather tour on his own, and the remaining guys using the name are so old now it won't last long.   Basically - there is no Beach Boys any more.  Not a real one.    It might have been nice had they or if they would, get together to make a decent age appropriate album of good material, but most likely that won't happen - what they'll make, if they make an album at all, will probably be...god, just something bad.  Thud
I would never go see Mike and Bruce's version of the band because I've no interest in that.   But are they entitled to do it if they want?  Yeah, and more power to them, but I'd rather see a show with all the remaing original guys w/some back up musicians play a nice stripped down show where they swap stories and just be cool, and be their ages.  That'd be the only way I'd want to see these guys now live.  Other than that, I have all their albums and will always consider them one of the greatest ever, of any time and genre.  They were  music, and they wrote the songs - but it's all very much past tense for me.
As far as a band going out under the name after all the originals retire/die - ewww.   But I suppose that's not unforseeable.
Which makes me want to ask, anyone know of any tribute bands?  Are there any around doing the beach Boys?

I have a little different perspective.  How I see it, the Beach Boys are not so much a name, or a corporate entity, as a loosely connected group of people who forged a distinct sound and feel and created a lot of beautiful music over the years, and did so in a lot of different configurations with the help of all sorts of people.  For example, Pacific Ocean Blue may have been a solo album, but so far as I'm concerned, it was made by a Beach Boy, it's Beach Boy's music, and when I think about awesome Beach Boys songs from the late 70s, I think of River Song and Rainbows and all the rest! 

Right now we don't have NO beach boys, we have MANY BEACH BOYS!!  We have new Brian Wilson albums!!!!!!!  Now if a new album made by Brian Wilson isn't just about the essence of Beach Boys-ness i don't know what is!!  And we have bands playing Beach Boys music, with original voices, adding new interpretations, bringing the catalogue to new people!  I don't care if its called the Beach Boys or Endless Summer Band or Brian Wilson Band on the ticket stub, so far as I'm concerned, its Beach Boys music!

I feel incredibly blessed that I live in a world where the Beach Boy's are not in any way "past tense."

just my two cents. 
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: April 07, 2010, 11:20:57 PM »

You seem to be having to explain this a lot lately Andrew, relax, beathe and try to remain calm! On a related note, do you know if The Beach Boys are playing mainland UK this year? So far the only UK date announced is for Belfast and I'm not sure I can justify flying to Belfast just to see them......or can I?

My information is no mainland shows this summer.

And... I'm explaining it because there seems to be a growing pocket of Blooness hereabouts, although I suspect most of them haven't seen an M&B gig for a few years.
We'e all real thrilled that you have seen the Mike and Bruce Tribute band-and thrilled that you like them as well. And if people do not want to see the Mike and Bruce Tribute Show that's ok too. And if we choose to comment on why we don't want to spend our time seeing them, we'll do it.  So  how about cooling it  with Mike and Bruce and let everybody make their own decisions, ok?? Quit spreading yor yellow spray all over this board, will ya?? Afro

Note that in my posts on any MB since early 1998, I've rarely, if ever, referred to them as "The Beach Boys", rather "Mike & Bruce", "the touring Beach Boys" or some such... because, no, of course, they're not The Beach Boys, any more than Rog & Pete are The Who. My beef is with people who say they'll never go see them because they know they won't be any good... reminds me of my father, who'd never ever eaten a tomato, but always averred he'd hate the taste. A great, great man, but in this regard, a very silly and blinkered one. My strong suspicion is that said individuals are secretly scared stiff that they might actually like what they hear, should they steel themselves and go to an M&B gig.

Last word to Brian: "Well, Mike & Bruce are The Beach Boys, and Alan is Alan Jardine... but I'm Brian Wilson !"  Grin

Works for me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #32 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:00 PM »

Can you say, "Four Freshman" ?  Smiley

matt-zeus
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: April 07, 2010, 11:50:14 PM »

I'm pretty sure there's a couple of classic motown bands and rock'n'roll doowop bands who do exactly the same as well. Don't ask me to name any of them.
Gene Simmons has also expressed a desire for Kiss to continue after him and Paul Stanley retire/die to keep the cash rolling in - that I can believe...!

Disco, disco, discotheque mama...

My music: http://www.thebrigadier.co.uk
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: April 08, 2010, 08:03:15 AM »

Gene Simmons has also expressed a desire for Kiss to continue after him and Paul Stanley retire/die to keep the cash rolling in - that I can believe...!

yikes  Ahhh!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: April 08, 2010, 08:52:04 AM »

The touring Four Freshman actually aren't that bad, I saw a PBS special of them and they sounded pretty good, they are just a questionable franchise.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
chris.metcalfe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: April 08, 2010, 09:25:23 AM »

This thread has made me sad, proper versions of Carry Me Home and WIBNTLA seem further away than ever  Cry
Some of us haven't heard the improper versions yet.  Sad
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: April 08, 2010, 10:07:02 AM »

Or "The Drifters"??

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: April 08, 2010, 11:01:21 AM »

Don't forget the Sugababes lol

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Jason
« Reply #39 on: April 08, 2010, 11:10:40 AM »

Napalm Death has been around since 1982 and hasn't had any original members in the lineup since 1986!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: April 08, 2010, 11:49:26 AM »

I would love to see Mike and Bruce perform whenever they hit the UK but alas all my friends tastes in music completely suck so I have no one to go with!!  Personally I think alot of fans would be more comfortable if they were billed as "The Beach Boys featuring Mike Love and Bruce Johnson". Not as catchy I know but it does acknowledge somewhat that it is not the classic lineup but a more a tribute/celebration of what the BB's were. Of course those who hate Mike that much will criticise him whatever he does but give the guy credit for going out there and putting on a show. He could easily just sit back and count his money by now but chooses not to.

BACK TO THE ORIGINAL TOPIC!!!

I have recently not heard "Go Get That Girl" and "Micheal, Row The Boat Ashore" for the first time and was VERY impressed by both tracks. Why were these not put on the Christamas Reissue CD a few years back? Much better than the vast majority of bonus tracks they did put out. When Mikes says "scraping the bottom of the barrel" surely he can make a distinction between tracks of this calibre and something along the lines of "Lazy Lizzie" which I took off my mp3 after one listen?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 08, 2010, 12:20:49 PM »

surely he can make a distinction between tracks of this calibre and something along the lines of "Lazy Lizzie" which I took off my mp3 after one listen?
Really? You really think Michael Row.. is better, in ANY way, than Lazy Lizzie? LL has been one of my favorite Love You era songs since I heard it on the old California Feeling Boot with Dennis on the Back and the liners written by 'Landy'. It has so many creepy/whacky things going (like, right before Dennis joins Brian on the final Chorus you hear whispered creepily 'it's Okay', or the weird humming moan in the last verse) on that, in recent years, my girlfriend puts in in her top 5 BB songs ever! I'd put it in the top 30 personally. MRTBA has, to these ears, absolutely no artistic merit whatsoever, not even as comedy. I know, totally off topic, but I had to defend the undefendable (as Walter Block would say).
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 12:23:29 PM by grillo » Logged

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 08, 2010, 12:27:50 PM »

I thought if you scraped away the Jardine/Albach cheese there was a pretty nice arrangement going on there. Mind you I am the guy who absolutely LOVES "Battle Hymn of the Republic"! Cheesy

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #43 on: April 08, 2010, 01:53:38 PM »

I thought if you scraped away the Jardine/Albach cheese there was a pretty nice arrangement going on there. Mind you I am the guy who absolutely LOVES "Battle Hymn of the Republic"! Cheesy

errrrrrrrr... "Michael Rowed..." is a 15 BO outtake, produced by Brian.

Rocker
Smiley Smile Associate

"Too dumb for New York City, too ugly for L.A."

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: April 08, 2010, 02:04:44 PM »

errrrrrrrr... "Michael Rowed..." is a 15 BO outtake, produced by Brian.

Actually, it's "Michael row the boat....". It's an old song. But I don't have to tell you that.... Great version by Lonnie Donegan

a diseased bunch of mo'fos if there ever was one… their beauty is so awesome that listening to them at their best is like being in some vast dream cathedral decorated with a thousand gleaming American pop culture icons.

- Lester Bangs on The Beach Boys

PRO SHOT BEACH BOYS CONCERTS - LIST

To sum it up, they blew it, they blew it consistently, they continue to blow it, it is tragic and this pathological problem caused The Beach Boys' greatest music to be so underrated by the general public.

- Jack Rieley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 08, 2010, 02:23:02 PM »

My bad, just assumed due to the religious themes it was from the unreleased Xmas album. Ironic as I was only on the unreleased songs page of Bellagio the other day!! Sure doesn't sound bugger all like the rest of 15BO's era I must add.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 02:31:22 PM by mikes beard » Logged

Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 08, 2010, 04:28:27 PM »

What we need to see released is "Fig Plucker". Here's how it's described by Senor Badman:

A spoken-word segment is also taped at today's sessions (Nov. 11, 1968) attended by Dennis, Brian, and assorted Friends. Carl is also present but declines an offer to join in on the recordings, which slowly turns into a farce. The piece is based on a tongue-twisting limerick that Dennis has: "I'm not the fig plucker, nor the fig plucker's son, and I'll pluck figs 'til the fig plucker comes." Inevitably, when repeated faster it sounds like they're saying "pig Luther" - another Charles Manson term.

"Fig Plucker" should've opened 20/20!

I also want to say that "Lazy Lizzie" scares me in the sense that it seems like it could be autobiographical.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2010, 04:37:43 PM by Dada » Logged
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: April 08, 2010, 05:02:09 PM »

"pig Luther"

Shocked

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: April 08, 2010, 10:23:52 PM »

Another little "piece" that is along the lines of "Fig Plucker" is something that I've read about called "Oh Yeah". Does anybody know what this is?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #49 on: April 08, 2010, 10:36:42 PM »

Oh Yeah was just a quick vocal session; one of the Boys (Carl, I think) met a young black kid and somehow got him into Brian's studio to do what was basically something between rapping and singing while the Boys minus Brian cooed "oh yeah!" in the background.

It was like this -

I got the spirit (oh yeah!)
I know you want it (oh yeah!)
But you can't have it (oh yeah!)
'Cause I got it (oh yeah!)

It's in my hands (oh yeah!)
I can't fight (oh yeah!)
It's in my eyes (oh yeah!)
I can't see (oh yeah!)

It's in my mouth (oh yeah!)
I can't talk (oh yeah!)
It's in my nose (oh yeah!)
I can't breathe (oh yeah!)

It's in my legs (oh yeah!)
I can't walk (oh yeah!)
It's in my oomph! (oh yeah!)
I can't oomph! (oh yeah!)

Oh yeah! (oh yeah!)
Oh yeah! (oh yeah!)

I don't think it was ever meant to be taken seriously, although the kid probably was dubbed a copy for his own amusement.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx