gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680853 Posts in 27617 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 28, 2024, 05:54:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Favorite Backing Track?  (Read 9715 times)
Mahalo
Smiley Smile Associate

..Stand back, Speak normally

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 28, 2010, 05:00:50 PM »

You Still Believe in Me, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, Be With Me, Just Once in My Life, Cabinessence, Time to Get Alone...and the list could go on forever. I find that making mixes of backing trax is a decent way of introducing the band to naysayers...
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: March 28, 2010, 06:47:57 PM »

Just the opening bit to God Only Knows makes me cry tears of joy.
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 28, 2010, 07:04:28 PM »

Good Vibrations is probably my favorite. The transitions just blow me away with their brilliance.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 28, 2010, 07:14:33 PM »

May favorite is probably Little Girl I Once Knew, or God Only Knows. Or maybe Little Pad, just to screw with everybody's head.  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #29 on: March 28, 2010, 09:50:57 PM »

Hard to say...how about a top 3? In chronological order, as of right now:

Amusement Parks USA
All I Wanna Do
Honkin' Down the Highway

And listening to "Blueberry Hill" right now, I have to say it's a pretty ballsy arrangement...that bass...etc.

Blueberry Hill...yeah...that was tight.  That and Just Once in my Life are two awesome backing tracks. Be With Me. Good Vibrations. Sweet Mountain. Til I die.

Yeah.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 29, 2010, 03:42:58 AM »

When I first bought Stack-O-Tracks on CD i found myself listening to "Darlin'" and "Do It Again" repeatedly. "Here Today" was another favourite.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
carl r
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: March 29, 2010, 07:57:26 AM »

I'd also mention That's Not Me... great track, primal drums
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 29, 2010, 10:03:14 AM »

My Top3 backing tracks today are:

Good To My Baby (those guitars in the chorus!)
When I Grow Up.... the most imperfectly perfect track (with the slightly behind harpsichord and Mike's vocal) if that makes sense?
He's a Doll-classic early production

These will probably change tomorrow!!
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #33 on: March 29, 2010, 01:11:48 PM »

May favorite is probably Little Girl I Once Knew, or God Only Knows. Or maybe Little Pad, just to screw with everybody's head.  Grin

Little Pad has a really nice backing track!
Compost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: March 29, 2010, 03:41:14 PM »

'Here Today' - great circus organ and discordant drumming; the brass sounds like a summons to war.
Dove Nested Towers
Smiley Smile Associate

Goodnight, Mrs. Calabash, wherever you are!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 29, 2010, 05:03:53 PM »

Pet Sounds box set informal run-through version, also. I'm Waiting For the Day has sublime subtleties.

"The police aren't there to create disorder,
they're there to preserve disorder!" -Mayor
Daly, Chicago 1968
jammer730
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: March 31, 2010, 01:55:26 PM »

Guess I'm Dumb, awesome production...especially the lead up to the chorus Smiley
Don't Back Down
Smiley Smile Associate

shoo-be-do-ba

View Profile WWW
« Reply #37 on: March 31, 2010, 02:16:35 PM »

Pet Sounds box set informal run-through version, also. I'm Waiting For the Day has sublime subtleties.

I love the Box Set sessions of I'm Waiting For The Day where the instrumentalist makes a "mistake" and Brian just loves it and asks him to play it again (but he can't get it exactly like that again) and said "It was a great mistake, man" haha Love it!  Smiley

Moon shines bright, asleep in my bed, like so many people got a big day ahead of me
donald
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: March 31, 2010, 07:59:55 PM »

The Stak O Traks lp is hard to beat but could be expanded on with what is now available.

WIBN on the PS box is just killer...as is the vocals only part.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 31, 2010, 08:30:31 PM »

I can't actually think of that many backing tracks I don't like, but I absolutely love everything produced between 64-67.

I'm really partial to "I'm So Young".  I love how the rhythm guitar comes halfway in, and the repeating bass part is one of my all time favorites.  The earlier Wrecking Crew production is good too, but feels way too busy in comparison to the simplicity of the album version.

Also, I love the cello(?) on "All Dressed Up For School".
BiNNS
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: March 31, 2010, 10:19:29 PM »

In The Back Of My Mind.  Blows me away every time i hear it.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: April 01, 2010, 03:35:53 AM »

Also, I love the cello(?) on "All Dressed Up For School".

According to Craig Slowinski it's "a groaning arco (meaning "bowed") double-bass".

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: April 01, 2010, 03:40:26 AM »

I love the track for Old Man River, and Sloop John B is a little miracle. Everything instrumental about that is just perfect.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: April 04, 2010, 05:00:14 PM »

Where are you finding  "15 Big ones" or "Love you" backing tracks ,if I may ask and what cd might they be found?
 I love the farting synthesizers on "Love you".
Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: April 04, 2010, 05:13:19 PM »

I have to go with California Girls.  The way the drums kick in and just rock along the whole song is great, it has a real swagger to it.  Plus the organ never gets old. 

By the way, I'm not saying I sit around and listen to the instrumental all day, I mean out of the songs which do I love the music going on in the background the most.
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: April 04, 2010, 11:34:58 PM »

Honestly, this is not a knock of kirt, but I'm extremely tired of the term "farting synths", when referring to 'anything'...be it "Love You" or otherwise.  I've read it for 15 years now online and it's like "Brianista" or "Al Jardine waiting for a bus".  It's a cliché.  It's lost any meaning it may have had.

If there's some statement of opinion or relevance one would like to make then GREAT!  I'm just tired of people falling back on  ...whatever the statements were...  from the past.
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: April 05, 2010, 05:26:47 AM »

Honestly, this is not a knock of kirt, but I'm extremely tired of the term "farting synths", when referring to 'anything'...be it "Love You" or otherwise.  I've read it for 15 years now online and it's like "Brianista" or "Al Jardine waiting for a bus".  It's a cliché.  It's lost any meaning it may have had.

If there's some statement of opinion or relevance one would like to make then GREAT!  I'm just tired of people falling back on  ...whatever the statements were...  from the past.

May I still use it offline?
« Last Edit: April 05, 2010, 06:11:59 AM by kirt » Logged
XY
« Reply #47 on: April 05, 2010, 05:53:19 AM »

Add me to the "Cabin Essence" lovers, especially the last part.
"Surf's Up" Pt. 1 is beautifully arranged, and a lot of other SMiLE stuff like "Wonderful" (both SMiLE versions), "Wind Chimes" (also both SMiLE versions), "Child Is Father To The Man" etc.
But my favorite track is "I Just Wasn't Made For These Times".
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: September 16, 2016, 04:30:13 AM »

Many goodies listed, f.ex. "Cabinessence" but, despite being advanced, it isn't imo very interesting as just track. Favorite is & was "You Still Believe in Me". I liked it when 1st listened to it with vocals & later as backing track during footage in "Beautiful Dreamer: Brian Wilson & the Story of Smile". It is every bit as good.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
leetwall97
« Reply #49 on: September 16, 2016, 05:16:02 PM »

Time to Get Alone. Hands down

My God! Did the Beach screw up the mixing on the master. I love the multiple keyboard instruments carrying the beat. What completely knocks me out of the water is the string section at the end. Man, does Brian know how to orchestrate a string section!
« Last Edit: September 16, 2016, 05:18:00 PM by leetwall97 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx