gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
681106 Posts in 27629 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims May 23, 2024, 04:44:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Beach Boys Mythbusters  (Read 53061 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #100 on: April 07, 2010, 11:23:47 PM »

Myth - Brian Wilson is a genius.

Fact - Brian Wilson is a hard-working guy.

Helluva delayed echo in here...  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
mtaber
« Reply #101 on: April 08, 2010, 04:49:06 AM »

Andrew...
  Andrew...
     Andrew...
Doe...
  Doe...
     Doe...
 Pure Genius AND a hard-workin' guy...
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #102 on: April 08, 2010, 08:48:54 AM »

Delayed echo eh? That's how Imagination's vocals sounded so good.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #103 on: April 08, 2010, 09:22:12 AM »

Delayed echo eh? That's how Imagination's vocals sounded so good.

Nah, that was being stacked 88-high.  Shocked

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #104 on: April 08, 2010, 12:32:06 PM »

A correspondent of mine told me that, during the Pet Sounds and Smile sessions, Brian Wilson would make tapes of himself singing all the vocal parts in order to provide reference for the rest of the band. He even said that Terry Melcher and Neil Aspinall heard acetates.

Is there any truth to this? If so, do we have any bootlegs? The only thing I've heard resembling this is the Don't Talk thing he recorded for The Wrecking Crew.

Perhaps this is the alt. version of Here Today that's on the PS Boxed set with Brian's vocals only

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #105 on: April 10, 2010, 09:31:16 AM »

Myth: The Beach Boys play 150-200 shows a year.

Fact:  Granted, I don't have the figures for the years post-1999, but these are the top 10 touring years 1963-1999 (for all shows, North America & overseas)

1966 - 153
1964 - 144
1987 - 142
1988 - 141
1999 - 139
1963 - 132
1993 - 131
1968 - 119
1983 - 116
1965 - 115

So, never close to 200... and since you asked, the years of the fewest dates 1963-1999 are:

1976 - 48 (yeah, that surprised me too)
1977 - 50
1998 - 51 (not that much of a shock)
1971 - 64
1994 - 66
1996 - 68
1997 - 68
1978 - 73
1980 - 76
1992 - 79

In 1962, the band played 78 dates, but I think we can excuse them.

Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #106 on: April 10, 2010, 09:39:43 AM »

Point taken but that is still a lot of dates in a year.  I guess. To me anyway.

I suppose individual BBs might have played 150-200 dates a year if you include non-BB ESB, etc. dates.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #107 on: April 10, 2010, 01:02:28 PM »

To be fair: 
78 is the number of pretty much,definite, known dates.  There are countless more that haven't been documented yet (and may never be);
 I've been told they played many many dates where they'd set up in a parking lot and play, then move on to another lot and play again.
Problem being, Murry booked them, Murry's gone. ( unless someone has his diary, or Audrees', to go along with his glasses that were sold on ebay)
We need to find all the people that saw them on those lots, and get them to testify!! 

Too bad Al and Brian don't have  better memories as relates to show dates.
Still, "new" shows pop up now and then; it's likely we'll be up to 150 before you know it.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #108 on: April 10, 2010, 01:09:58 PM »

To be fair: 
78 is the number of pretty much,definite, known dates.  There are countless more that haven't been documented yet (and may never be);
 I've been told they played many many dates where they'd set up in a parking lot and play, then move on to another lot and play again.
Problem being, Murry booked them, Murry's gone. ( unless someone has his diary, or Audrees', to go along with his glasses that were sold on ebay)
We need to find all the people that saw them on those lots, and get them to testify!! 

Still, "new" shows pop up now and then; it's likely we'll be up to 150 before you know it.

78 is actually being generous in that Ian & I are according a two or three song set the status of a 'show': check it out -

http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs6162.html

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #109 on: April 10, 2010, 08:21:03 PM »

I can't believe that they only played 48 dates in 1976.  Shocked

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #110 on: April 10, 2010, 08:58:42 PM »

It tripped me out that they played more shows in 1998 than they did in 1976, that's for damn sure.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #111 on: April 11, 2010, 04:51:00 AM »

I can't believe that they only played 48 dates in 1976.  Shocked
I would post that they where probs busy making 15BO's but that would only account for approx 5hours, 17minutes and 2secs of the year.  Wink

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #112 on: April 11, 2010, 05:16:56 AM »

To be fair: 

78 is actually being generous in that Ian & I are according a two or three song set the status of a 'show': check it out -

You can look at it that way; but in 1962 that's very often all they played.
The shows at the Broadway Stores are a good example of that, for sure. Or the June shows at Dykstra Hall, UCLA; where they , maybe, played two songs, and the house band laughed at their low level of music ability.( but of course they got better over time)
Still, in the day, many artists only played one or two songs, their hit(s), and then it was on to the next artist on the bill. Everybody starts somewhere, eh?
Personally, I call each and every one a Beach Boys date. And there are more to add, but finding/confirming them...

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #113 on: April 11, 2010, 07:10:53 AM »

To be fair: 

You can look at it that way; but in 1962 that's very often all they played.
The shows at the Broadway Stores are a good example of that, for sure. Or the June shows at Dykstra Hall, UCLA; where they , maybe, played two songs, and the house band laughed at their low level of music ability.( but of course they got better over time)
Still, in the day, many artists only played one or two songs, their hit(s), and then it was on to the next artist on the bill. Everybody starts somewhere, eh?
Personally, I call each and every one a Beach Boys date. And there are more to add, but finding/confirming them...

True - Ian & I found someone who claimed to have valid info for a pep rally date they did as The Pendletones at Hawthorne High in fall 1961, but that unravelled when I contacted people who were students (and cheerleaders) at the time, and they denied it completely. Shame - that would have been a coup !

adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #114 on: April 11, 2010, 01:56:24 PM »

It's worth pointing out that the stress of a live gig is only partly bout how many songs you play.  The getting to the gig, setting up, tearing down, waiting around to go on, schmoozing...if you play three songs instead of three hours, it's not necessarily that much less physical effort.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #115 on: April 11, 2010, 02:36:05 PM »

Here's one...how many shows DID they play as the Pendletones?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #116 on: April 11, 2010, 03:09:23 PM »

Here's one...how many shows DID they play as the Pendletones?

As far as I know... less than one.  Grin

Jason
« Reply #117 on: April 11, 2010, 04:21:38 PM »

Myth: Pet Sounds is the only Beach Boys album that has had every song played live.

Fact: Pet Sounds and Surf's Up are the only two Beach Boys albums that have had every song played live.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #118 on: April 11, 2010, 07:35:37 PM »

Myth: Pet Sounds is the only Beach Boys album that has had every song played live.

Fact: Pet Sounds and Surf's Up are the only two Beach Boys albums that have had every song played live.
A shame people had to be subjected to a live rendition of "Take A Load Off Your Feet".
Jason
« Reply #119 on: April 11, 2010, 08:26:08 PM »

Hey, Take A Load Off Your Feet was performed as recently as the 1993 winter "box set" tour!

The real painful one was when A Day In The Life Of A Tree was performed. It was only ever done once, at Long Beach Arena in Long Beach, CA in December 1971. The news of this occurrence somehow remained incredibly tight-lipped until around 2004 or so when a fan who attended the concert leaked his recording of the show on the internet, which had never circulated beyond a tight group of fans. The Boys played their usual late 1971 setlist, heavy on material from Pet Sounds, Wild Honey, Sunflower, and Surf's Up, as well as a smattering of the oldies. Dennis performed I've Got A Friend, as well. But the REAL kicker was named Brian Wilson. He was backstage that night and was called onstage to greet the fans. Then, for some inexplicable reason, Jack Rieley came onstage, Brian sat down at Bruce's organ, and they performed (with Rieley on vocals) A Day In The Life Of A Tree. It was by no means planned. Jack forgot words left and right, his singing was even shakier than on the album cut, and the band were damn close to being laughed off the stage. The show also ran way over its scheduled time; at the end of the main set, before an encore was to be played, the local authorities stepped in, saying that the show had to end in ten minutes or the power would be cut. The setlist is on Eric Anniversario's setlist page - even for 1971, the sheer lack of the oldies is shocking, unless you count the post-1965 hits among the "golden oldies".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #120 on: April 11, 2010, 11:01:48 PM »

Think you'll find In Concert had every song played live too.  Roll Eyes

hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #121 on: April 12, 2010, 11:33:51 AM »

*boom tish*

But seriously, when did the BB's play That's Not Me live? Or IJWMFTT? Or Pet Sounds? Or Lets Go Away.... etc.

You'd better not be going from Brian Wilson does Pet Sounds Live or whatever, that's cheating.

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #122 on: April 12, 2010, 11:58:22 AM »

LOL

Epic.
Think you'll find In Concert had every song played live too.  Roll Eyes

Jason
« Reply #123 on: April 12, 2010, 12:36:35 PM »

*boom tish*

But seriously, when did the BB's play That's Not Me live? Or IJWMFTT? Or Pet Sounds? Or Lets Go Away.... etc.

You'd better not be going from Brian Wilson does Pet Sounds Live or whatever, that's cheating.

Tough crowd.  LOL

The Beach Boys only ever played eight of the thirteen Pet Sounds songs live, That's Not Me, Let's Go Away For Awhile, I Know There's An Answer, I Just Wasn't Made For These Times, and Pet Sounds weren't done live by the band. Obviously Brian did them all live, and yes, it counts. If I was cheating I'd say Smile was the third Beach Boys album that had every song performed live. Smiley

The original post was poorly worded on my part; it should read -

Myth: Pet Sounds is the only Beach Boys album that has had every song played live by either the band or individual members.

Fact: Pet Sounds and Surf's Up are the only two Beach Boys albums that have had every song played live by either the band or individual members.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #124 on: April 12, 2010, 01:36:36 PM »

If I was cheating I'd say Smile was the third Beach Boys album that had every song performed live. Smiley

Seeing as the track listing was never decided upon in 1967, flag on the play.  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 9 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx