gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:42:03 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Down Print
Author Topic: From 1984: Mike Talks About Dennis  (Read 37839 times)
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: April 10, 2010, 09:49:29 AM »

Unless someone knows different, if Brian gave his proxy to Mike maybe it was the simple fact that Brian agreed with Mike or trusted Mike's judgement at least over the other member's of the band's judgement because he could have given his proxy to virtually anyone.

We never seem to consider the most obvious answers in BBfanland.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: April 11, 2010, 04:40:32 AM »

Can anybody elaborate on the whole "tarmac incident" please? I will recount from memory from what I've read in the past but would like anyone in the know to clarify fact from urban myth. Apparently by '77 the group were travelling in two separate planes due to a major difference in livestyle choices. "Airforce TM" and "The Herion Express" if you will.  Initially Brian travelled with Mike and Al by choice but as the year progressed and he fell back into old bad habits (and possibly some new ones) he wanted to fly with his partying brothers. Mike and management kept them apart between shows much to the Wilson trio's increasingly chargrin.  The final straw came when Brian was forbid to board his brothers plane as they stopped for refueling or something, on his birthday I believe? Then, as the saying goes WW3 broke out on the runway between the Wilson's, Love's, Al, Brian's handlers and God knows who else. How much of this true? Does anyone have any first hand account antedotes of what was said to whom? Did Dennis punch out anybody?
Thanks for any insight shared.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #127 on: April 11, 2010, 05:11:22 AM »

Can anybody elaborate on the whole "tarmac incident" please? I will recount from memory from what I've read in the past but would like anyone in the know to clarify fact from urban myth. Apparently by '77 the group were travelling in two separate planes due to a major difference in livestyle choices. "Airforce TM" and "The Herion Express" if you will.  Initially Brian travelled with Mike and Al by choice but as the year progressed and he fell back into old bad habits (and possibly some new ones) he wanted to fly with his partying brothers. Mike and management kept them apart between shows much to the Wilson trio's increasingly chargrin.  The final straw came when Brian was forbid to board his brothers plane as they stopped for refueling or something, on his birthday I believe? Then, as the saying goes WW3 broke out on the runway between the Wilson's, Love's, Al, Brian's handlers and God knows who else. How much of this true? Does anyone have any first hand account antedotes of what was said to whom? Did Dennis punch out anybody?
Thanks for any insight shared.

It's reported in a fall 1977 issue of Rolling Stone - the bust-up took place on Alan's birthday.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: April 11, 2010, 05:25:59 AM »

Going back to Jon Stebbins mentioning recordings of Dennis's solo tour rehearsals : On a scale of 1 to 10 Jon (or anybody else) what is the likelihood of these ever seeing an official release of sorts? Just the thought of hearing "The River Song" live alone has me drooling.

« Last Edit: April 12, 2010, 11:15:18 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: April 13, 2010, 11:30:52 PM »

Attack ideas not people, nes pas? Why people "in the know" would ever bother posting to those who simply don't want to know the truth, is beyond me.
Peole like Stebbins deserve a medal, or something. And those POB rehersal tapes just gotta see the light of day...May the Love's & Johnston's of the world happily lick themselves raw til they drop-with gentleness and respect of course...and may POB rehersals and the Smile sessions box bring forth the light of truth-)...MAn how different history would be.

Signed,
Curmudgeon
Surfin' USA 2010
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: April 14, 2010, 12:00:22 AM »

Well, this of course goes more than one way!

Please remember this is a FAN MESSAGE BOARD!!!!!

Us nerds will gather here and argue and discuss The Beach Boys no matter how many experts step up to the podium and "prove" our insane delusions wrong! Insane delusions are a part of rock n roll that is here to stay! Live with it!

Yes, we're discussing real people and events here, but its the music that really matters and music is not concrete! Music is about ideas and emotions, not merely facts. Music opens up our imaginations and we create wonderfully crazed realities within the music! Let this be!!! I mean, c'mon, in my sick head, I'm the 4th (and criminally underrated) Wilson brother!!!!

By the way, when did online-nerd band worship become the "professional fans" versus the "amateurs"?

Btw, don't the "experts" have their own threads where we know to go to them for stone cold facts and to avoid mad fanboy ramblings? ..... And isn't that really kind of a nice set-up actually?

I mean, we're all just a bunch of fans gathered here on an virtual living room floor with a turntable and a pile of records to spin/discuss/argue over/live within ....... And isn't that kind of the point?

« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 12:01:43 AM by Erik H » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: April 14, 2010, 02:12:19 AM »

I listened to the multi-tracks of the POB tour rehearsals on Saturday. John Hanlon and I took a little time to evaluate them, not because there is a big project brewing, but because we wanted to learn a little more, gain a little more perspective. Building projects, knowledge, consensus etc... is a slow process. I've heard the rehearsals before, but today they are very fresh in my mind. Does anyone here want to know what i think about them or what I gleaned? I'm sure some of you do. Maybe some of you don't give a rats ass because you know my love for Dennis' music will override any hope of true objectivity. For those who want to know i can report that Dennis was on top of his game, he sounded like he was ready...the band was absolutely crackling with an energy not heard in BB's concerts in late '77. The material gave them an opportunity to stretch out, get funky, rock harder, big soulful brass section, great guitar solos... they played with more hot passion than they could project in late '77 BB's sets. Dennis was loose and happy, and singing quite a bit here and there, clearly in charge. I think he wanted this. I think if he'd pulled off 10 or 15 successful dates that POB would have sold even more, and that Bambu would have happened in '78. IMO there were elements in the band and their management who were not supportive of this trend, and would prefer that Dennis remain 'the surfer drummer guy who sings one song'. If you think that POB is better than the BB's stuff at that time, then you probably would have thought this tour was better than the BB's tours at the time. It was a similar reach into a more musically progressive place.
It is my firm believe that Bambu is one of the greatest albums of all time. I truely believe that had it been officially released, it would have been a HUGE success, given that Constant Companion had been released as the single/song to push it. I listen to that album, and I'm still stunned beyond belief. It has everything that makes music what it is. From the brass and guitar and all around funkiness of Constant Companion, to the heartbreaking raw emotion of It's Not To Late, to the gritty, nasty sweaty sex appeal of Wild Situation, this album has it all. When you listen to Dennis's raw, broken voice singing the lyrics of It's Not To Late....it isn't just soulful music. It's almost hearing the working of the raw, naked human soul itself. That Dennis's solo career was not allowed to continue is one of the gravest injustices in music history.
« Last Edit: April 14, 2010, 02:31:37 AM by Jay » Logged

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #132 on: April 14, 2010, 07:32:10 AM »

I listened to the multi-tracks of the POB tour rehearsals on Saturday. John Hanlon and I took a little time to evaluate them, not because there is a big project brewing, but because we wanted to learn a little more, gain a little more perspective. Building projects, knowledge, consensus etc... is a slow process. I've heard the rehearsals before, but today they are very fresh in my mind. Does anyone here want to know what i think about them or what I gleaned? I'm sure some of you do. Maybe some of you don't give a rats ass because you know my love for Dennis' music will override any hope of true objectivity. For those who want to know i can report that Dennis was on top of his game, he sounded like he was ready...the band was absolutely crackling with an energy not heard in BB's concerts in late '77. The material gave them an opportunity to stretch out, get funky, rock harder, big soulful brass section, great guitar solos... they played with more hot passion than they could project in late '77 BB's sets. Dennis was loose and happy, and singing quite a bit here and there, clearly in charge. I think he wanted this. I think if he'd pulled off 10 or 15 successful dates that POB would have sold even more, and that Bambu would have happened in '78. IMO there were elements in the band and their management who were not supportive of this trend, and would prefer that Dennis remain 'the surfer drummer guy who sings one song'. If you think that POB is better than the BB's stuff at that time, then you probably would have thought this tour was better than the BB's tours at the time. It was a similar reach into a more musically progressive place.
It is my firm believe that Bambu is one of the greatest albums of all time. I truely believe that had it been officially released, it would have been a HUGE success, given that Constant Companion had been released as the single/song to push it. I listen to that album, and I'm still stunned beyond belief. It has everything that makes music what it is. From the brass and guitar and all around funkiness of Constant Companion, to the heartbreaking raw emotion of It's Not To Late, to the gritty, nasty sweaty sex appeal of Wild Situation, this album has it all. When you listen to Dennis's raw, broken voice singing the lyrics of It's Not To Late....it isn't just soulful music. It's almost hearing the working of the raw, naked human soul itself. That Dennis's solo career was not allowed to continue is one of the gravest injustices in music history.

How much of it was Dennis "not being allowed to continue" and Dennis not allowing himself top continue?

As a read various posts , etc. I am coming to the conclusion that the saga of Dennis' solo career is almost like SMiLE - Was their group resistance? - yes.  Were Dennis'/Brian's demons sabotaging their projects as well? - yes.

Dennis was a lot of things and one of those things was a complete lack of discipline.  If Dennis had more self discipline (not just with drugs  but also with the process of making music itself) I can't help but think that Bambu would have come out

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: April 14, 2010, 09:19:29 AM »

To Mike's Beard...POB Tour Rehearsals in some edited form have a chance to see the light of day, not a great one, but a chance, maybe a 3 or 4 on the 10 scale. Several years ago it would have been a 1 or a 2...so chances are improving.

To Kirkmc...Thanks for the support, my wife deserves the medal.

To Erik H...I never asked for my own thread. I'm just a fan/nerd too...here on an virtual living room floor with a turntable and a pile of records to spin/discuss/argue over/live within...pass the gucamole and give me another corona.
oldsurferdude
« Reply #134 on: April 14, 2010, 05:01:47 PM »

Here's a thought that's bound to be controversial, and cause many fights. What if Brian's "autobiography" was truthful in the sole fact that Brian WAS physically scared of Mike? Brian wasn't well by 1975, and things got worse by 1977. Maybe Brian's irrational brain(at the time) told him to side with Mike for sheer physical wellbeing and safety?
I've heard stories of Dennis, Carl and even Brian getting "roughed up" by various members of the notorious Love brothers. Did the lovester ever have his face punched in by anyone. With his 'tude, there must have been a line. Razz
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #135 on: April 14, 2010, 09:02:19 PM »

Here's a thought that's bound to be controversial, and cause many fights. What if Brian's "autobiography" was truthful in the sole fact that Brian WAS physically scared of Mike? Brian wasn't well by 1975, and things got worse by 1977. Maybe Brian's irrational brain(at the time) told him to side with Mike for sheer physical wellbeing and safety?
I've heard stories of Dennis, Carl and even Brian getting "roughed up" by various members of the notorious Love brothers. Did the lovester ever have his face punched in by anyone. With his 'tude, there must have been a line. Razz

There were times when Mike was at odds with his bros...I seem to recall he filed charges against Stan (including false imprisonment), and The Beach Boys as a group sued Steve.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #136 on: April 15, 2010, 11:07:47 PM »

I agree that Bambu is one of the greatest albums of all-time!

To me, its sits up there with Big Star 3rd and Helen Of Troy by John Cale as far as expressive tortured emotion is concerned mixed with exotic melodies, arrangements, high psychodrama, and some good ole rock n roll!

Speaking of deserving medals, John: you and everyone else involved with Bambu's resurrection did an incredible job! Not only in simply making it available, but in the mastering and, above all, the sequencing! I've had raggedy Bambu boots laying around for years and was hardly impressed, but you guys turned it into AN ALBUM!!!!

For my money, Bambu is almost violent proof of what a major contender Dennis could have been! This album is even farther away from The Beach Boys than POB, but even more progressive (not as in prog rock) and forward thinking and genre busting!

Dennis also sounds really strong vocally! People talk about how damaged his voice was at this point, but it hardly matters. He uses his instrument to and beyond it's capabilities and really goes for it in the best ways possible!

I have this nagging image in my head of Dennis playing Constant Companion on American Bandstand! It's such a real image that I can hardly believe it isn't real.... Then again, had it been real, things might have turned out oh so differently  Cry
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: April 16, 2010, 08:30:48 AM »

Signed,
Curmudgeon
Surfin' USA 2010

you crunch seti@home by chance?

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: April 16, 2010, 10:47:33 PM »

No, but someone might have slipped something in my corona
kirkmc- banned on the run
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: April 17, 2010, 02:41:09 AM »

No my real name is Kirk Mc. Someone called me curmudgeon-in fun I think...I like it! Cheers.
How can I change it to my log in name? Hee.
YoungInMind
Smiley Smile Newbie

Anna Maria Island = my other home

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: October 12, 2015, 02:51:06 PM »

There's no question that the relationship between Love and Dennis Wilson as stressful.  "There was definitely conflict," Love said.  "The conflict was, 'Hey, Dennis, perhaps you shouldn't give cocaine to Brian.'  Yeah, he did that a couple of times.  And so to protect Brian, my brother Stan formed a two-man vigilante committee and proceeded to beat Dennis to a pulp.  My brother's about 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9, a professional basketball payer.  And unfortunately, they had a slight altercation..." Love laughed.

Love's words would be a lot more credible if he didn't spin his comments like this one. The fundamental conflict between Mike and Dennis was NOT based in that one reckless act by Dennis(ie giving cocaine to Brian), That is just an inflammatory statement, it is completely ridiculous to make it in relation to the context of Dennis' death...and conveniently a dead Dennis can't answer it or confront Mike for saying it. One thing Mike knows well, despite all the flaws in his person, Dennis fought his own fights. Statements like the one above give the impression that Mike waits until its safe to fight his.
You're right in my opinion.  Also, from the beginning of The Beach Boys, Love was jealous of Dennis because the girls and women that liked Dennis and it took away from some of the attention Mike Love received.  That's how it all began but he leaves that part out of course.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #141 on: October 12, 2015, 08:08:48 PM »

There's no question that the relationship between Love and Dennis Wilson as stressful.  "There was definitely conflict," Love said.  "The conflict was, 'Hey, Dennis, perhaps you shouldn't give cocaine to Brian.'  Yeah, he did that a couple of times.  And so to protect Brian, my brother Stan formed a two-man vigilante committee and proceeded to beat Dennis to a pulp.  My brother's about 6-foot-8, 6-foot-9, a professional basketball payer.  And unfortunately, they had a slight altercation..." Love laughed.

Love's words would be a lot more credible if he didn't spin his comments like this one. The fundamental conflict between Mike and Dennis was NOT based in that one reckless act by Dennis(ie giving cocaine to Brian), That is just an inflammatory statement, it is completely ridiculous to make it in relation to the context of Dennis' death...and conveniently a dead Dennis can't answer it or confront Mike for saying it. One thing Mike knows well, despite all the flaws in his person, Dennis fought his own fights. Statements like the one above give the impression that Mike waits until its safe to fight his.
You're right in my opinion.  Also, from the beginning of The Beach Boys, Love was jealous of Dennis because the girls and women that liked Dennis and it took away from some of the attention Mike Love received.  That's how it all began but he leaves that part out of course.

To be fair to Mike, he was quoted in 2007 as saying "Tell you what, in the early days, when we were playing concerts, there was NO ONE the girls liked more, IN rock 'n' roll, PERIOD.  That's it." He was talking about Dennis there, not himself. Wink
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: October 14, 2015, 03:11:09 PM »

I was just musing to myself reading this old thread (and amused by my own five-year-old brief contribution to it) what would happen to any of us, and how we would be viewed, if we had a gaggle of people poring over minutiae of the last 50 years of our lives, subconsciously looking for the best or worst in us...add a healthy dose of toxic surroundings (dysfunctional family, the music industry, the unreality of fame, etc.) to that, and see how well any of us with our own fears and insecurities would do under that level of scrutiny.

Dennis and Mike were/are deeply talented/deeply flawed individuals, each with character traits many of us can identify with or against.  Besides the music and the mayhem, it's less sexy to also contemplate that they both also gave a lot of time to charity and people and causes that they care(d) deeply about.  That might be a good thing for us all to reflect on in how we can all do better with our own flawed lives.  That's where my thoughts lie today.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2015, 03:12:17 PM by adamghost » Logged
Steve Latshaw
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: October 14, 2015, 03:40:36 PM »

Excellent post, Adam.  What I remember very well from the 1970s, as a fan, was Dennis' dedication to Special Olympics.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx