gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 09:41:39 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: When Beach Boys sound like other Beach Boys.  (Read 20200 times)
lupinofan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #50 on: March 18, 2010, 09:10:05 AM »

"Pom Pom Play Girl" - all official sources say it's Carl on lead, but while he's definitely there, I'm convinced that Brian is doubling his part in unison.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #51 on: March 18, 2010, 10:14:23 AM »

He tends to write responses like his lyrics: very over the top, much too wordy and long so they take forever to get till the end , and full of metaphors that are hard to understand. Cheesy

Kind of like VDP, but not quite as clever.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #52 on: March 18, 2010, 02:43:25 PM »

I used to confuse Bruce's voice with Mike's...Like Deirdre, I thought it was Mike's softer voice, same with Disney Girls.

And actually, as I think about Sunflower vocals, does Bruce sing lead on At my Window?

Have we ever found out who really sings Walkin? I believe it's Brian.

Al and Brian's vocals on Be Here in the Morning have always threw me through a loop.

When I first heard A Day in the Life of a Tree, I thought it was Brian's new voice (yes, that of 1976 gruffy-ness); don't ask me what I was thinkin.  Roll Eyes

Used to think Brian sang lead on God Only Knows.

While I'm at it, Carl sings lead on With Me tonight, right?

Is it Brian or Carl on lead of Smiley Wonderful? who's on Whistle In?

I always thought Bruce sang lead on Aren't You Glad.

Is it Brian on lead of He Gives Speeches?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #53 on: March 19, 2010, 10:04:55 PM »

I used to confuse Bruce's voice with Mike's...Like Deirdre, I thought it was Mike's softer voice, same with Disney Girls.

And actually, as I think about Sunflower vocals, does Bruce sing lead on At my Window?

Al and Brian's vocals on Be Here in the Morning have always threw me through a loop.

When I first heard A Day in the Life of a Tree, I thought it was Brian's new voice (yes, that of 1976 gruffy-ness); don't ask me what I was thinkin.  Roll Eyes

1) Bruce on At My Windows
2) Walkin is Brian.
3) WMT- Carl
4)Whistle In & Wonderful- Carl
5) AYG- Mike
6) HGS- Mike (although Brian's doing the backups)

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #54 on: March 19, 2010, 11:47:10 PM »

The backups on He Gives Speeches are incredible.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #55 on: March 20, 2010, 02:11:14 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

Again, mind blown. Was sure it was Brian doing a softer voice and then overdubbing.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2010, 02:15:32 PM by Wrightfan » Logged
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #56 on: March 20, 2010, 02:14:54 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

Again, mine blown. Was sure it was Brian doing a softer voice and then overdubbing.
Yeah, me too. See, this I why I love reading these kinda threads. I learn something new every time the subject is brought up.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #57 on: March 20, 2010, 07:17:32 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

Again, mind blown. Was sure it was Brian doing a softer voice and then overdubbing.
No way is that mike. Brian all the way. Sorry global moderator but yer wrong!!!!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Chris Brown
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #58 on: March 20, 2010, 07:20:50 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

No way is that mike. Brian all the way. Sorry global moderator but yer wrong!!!!

Agreed, that's definitely Brian doing the lead and backing vocal.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #59 on: March 21, 2010, 06:02:27 AM »

Yeah it's Brian no doubt about it. On the retooled version Mike is singing the "she was goin' bald" and "really flipped her wig" refrain, which, when considering his own hairline at the time is rather ironic.
« Last Edit: March 21, 2010, 06:04:12 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #60 on: March 21, 2010, 12:43:57 PM »

Its called The definitive Beach Boys vocal credits thread...its on this board...its been throuroughly vetted by the best people. Check it out before you ask a bunch of questions.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #61 on: March 21, 2010, 09:07:41 PM »

sorry, i was discussing my confusions then started ranting with questions, then realized there was that post, sorry for my waste of a post

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jon Stebbins
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #62 on: March 22, 2010, 03:01:29 PM »

sorry, i was discussing my confusions then started ranting with questions, then realized there was that post, sorry for my waste of a post
Thanks for the honesty, and the lack of defensiveness. That's a rare commodity around here. Also, sorry for my slightly grumpy way of suggesting you use the Vocal Credits thread..
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #63 on: March 27, 2010, 02:51:35 PM »

it's cool. I honestly like it when people present easy questions because I appear to be smart when responding  Smokin....even if a previous post exist.  But I do give credit where it is due

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #64 on: March 27, 2010, 04:30:59 PM »

I swear, Al is Brian's illegitimate brother. Murry Wilson must've fooled around on Audree with Mrs. Jardine and it produced the slightly-more-edge-having Brian Wilson sound-alike we know today.

Have you heard him singing Brian's part on God Only Knows at the Knebworth concert? It's phenomenal.
« Last Edit: March 27, 2010, 04:34:09 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #65 on: March 27, 2010, 08:59:41 PM »

Murry must have fooled around with a monkey then....   Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #66 on: March 28, 2010, 02:14:31 PM »

Murry must have fooled around with a monkey then....   Grin
That's a bit harsh, now isn't it?

Even if it is totally, totally true.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #67 on: March 28, 2010, 08:10:37 PM »

harsh on Murry's behalf or Al's?

It's Al's fault for looking like one    Grin

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #68 on: March 28, 2010, 08:27:43 PM »

harsh on Murry's behalf or Al's?

It's Al's fault for looking like one    Grin
Let's say both and call it a day.
But seriously. God Only Knows. Knebworth. YouTube. Now.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #69 on: March 28, 2010, 09:43:07 PM »

That's Mike on HGS?

Agreed, that's definitely Brian doing the lead and backing vocal.

Wow...just realized my tape player 's jacked up. Listening to the mp3...I've been hearing it at the wrong speed. Yeah, it's Brian.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
louielouie
Smiley Smile Associate

Have you ever been on an airplane?

View Profile
« Reply #70 on: March 28, 2010, 11:38:38 PM »

Very interesting thread, since i started to listen the beach boys thirteen years ago, iīve bee curious about the peculiar sound of their voices. Just as the beatles and the byrds, they have a very unique sound. I used to imagine that the magical effect of the vocal harmonies of the beach boys was due to the fact that each individual voice was related to another; i mean, the voices of Brian and Mike are on the top and the bottom of the spectrum respectively, but in the middle yhe voice of  Carl sounds like Brianīs but at the same time has itīs own quality; Alīs voice sounds like brianīs but a little bit Mike too and Dennis and Bruce did sound like other beach boy sometimes to. So in the end its like  just one voice with different textures!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #71 on: June 21, 2010, 01:32:43 AM »

I only just now realized that "I'll Bet He's Nice" is sung by both Dennis and Brian Wilson. I thought it was just Dennis, but Brian's voice had deteriorated so much by that point it was hard to tell!
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #72 on: June 21, 2010, 01:56:41 AM »

And Carl as well, don't forget

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #73 on: June 21, 2010, 02:00:27 AM »

And Carl as well, don't forget
Yeah, well, that much is obvious.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #74 on: June 21, 2010, 02:03:55 AM »

Not sure why I posted that, tbh. In a somewhat pedantic mood, sorry.

You scared me there with that He Gives Speeches 'revelation', Mr. F2Stop!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
gfx
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx