gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680796 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 06:53:13 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Hey Little Tomboy/MIU Brian  (Read 14522 times)
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: March 06, 2010, 02:45:46 PM »

I don't know.  I'm not saying Brian's voice wasn't better, but I am telling you a very careful listen to the vocals and you can tell there was some very clever mixing going on.  The Al doubling theory wouldn't surprise me.  That aside, I do think a lot of it has to do with someone other than himself producing this session.  Even to this day I understand Brian does better vocals when someone's riding him.  The difference could very well just be someone in the control booth going "no, Brian, do it again."  And come to think of it, Brian couldn't just walk out and go home.  He was stuck in Iowa.  That might be your answer right there.

I've heard a bunch of outtakes from the KTSA and LA era and there's only one where Brian turns in a passable lead vocal, and that was on a cover of an old '50s song.  He tried to sing "California Feeling" and you can tell how seriously he takes it by singing "it was such a beautiful day...[then dryly:]...like most days!"  I think they tried to get him on there but his lead vocals just weren't cutting it.  I think he's doing a lot of the falsettos on KTSA, so they were really trying to have him sing as much as possible.

Really I can't think of many LA or KTSA era Brian leads. I know there was "I'm Begging You Please" but I remember all the oldies covers been either Carl or Mike except for like "River Deep Mountain High" which was not exactly Brian's finest hour. And that "California Feeling" lead vocal try, when was that from? I've never heard of that.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #26 on: March 06, 2010, 03:43:57 PM »

I don't know.  I'm not saying Brian's voice wasn't better, but I am telling you a very careful listen to the vocals and you can tell there was some very clever mixing going on.  The Al doubling theory wouldn't surprise me.  That aside, I do think a lot of it has to do with someone other than himself producing this session.  Even to this day I understand Brian does better vocals when someone's riding him.  The difference could very well just be someone in the control booth going "no, Brian, do it again."  And come to think of it, Brian couldn't just walk out and go home.  He was stuck in Iowa.  That might be your answer right there.

I've heard a bunch of outtakes from the KTSA and LA era and there's only one where Brian turns in a passable lead vocal, and that was on a cover of an old '50s song.  He tried to sing "California Feeling" and you can tell how seriously he takes it by singing "it was such a beautiful day...[then dryly:]...like most days!"  I think they tried to get him on there but his lead vocals just weren't cutting it.  I think he's doing a lot of the falsettos on KTSA, so they were really trying to have him sing as much as possible.

He sounds pretty good on "Sunshine", and OK on "Goin' On".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: March 06, 2010, 04:04:37 PM »

He sounds pretty good on "Sunshine", and OK on "Goin' On".

Yeah, and live in mid-1980, he was OK/good on the "Surfer Girl" bridge, but a little shaky on his "Good Timin" part, slightly off-key as if he didn't know when to come in (he had to watch for Carl's nod).

I say this, not to try to start something or seek attention, but I didn't think his 1981 vocals were that bad. He seemed to be actually "singing", almost in a lower register, almost foreshadowing what was to come.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: March 06, 2010, 05:42:01 PM »

Wow I never even noticed the Brian part on "Sunshine"....probably because I've only listened to it a handful of times in my life. Hes on the last line of ever chorus right? Sounds like his late 70s/early 80s "falsetto".

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song. They couldn't have been jumping for joy at a disco remake of an oldie, and some new Mike Love and Al Jardine numbers, along with a few sleepy Carl songs. "Baby Blue" however is an awesome tune, but honestly, how did they even accept this. There must have been better Brian stuff in the can they could have used?

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: March 06, 2010, 05:50:07 PM »

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song. They couldn't have been jumping for joy at a disco remake of an oldie, and some new Mike Love and Al Jardine numbers, along with a few sleepy Carl songs.

And, of all the Brian Wilson songs in the can, and, for arguably the first real "adult" Beach Boys' album, Bruce chooses "Shortenin' Bread". Brilliant choice.... Huh
kirt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: March 06, 2010, 07:31:42 PM »

" Baby Blue" is beautiful.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #31 on: March 06, 2010, 08:55:22 PM »

Wow I never even noticed the Brian part on "Sunshine"....probably because I've only listened to it a handful of times in my life. Hes on the last line of ever chorus right? Sounds like his late 70s/early 80s "falsetto".

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song. They couldn't have been jumping for joy at a disco remake of an oldie, and some new Mike Love and Al Jardine numbers, along with a few sleepy Carl songs. "Baby Blue" however is an awesome tune, but honestly, how did they even accept this. There must have been better Brian stuff in the can they could have us

On Sunshine, he's singing pretty much the whole way through.  You can also hear him on Going On, the intro to "School Days", on Santa Ana Winds (not vocally though, just harmonica), and "Some of your Love".

Brian was on more LA tracks, just not the ones that actually made it to the album.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: March 07, 2010, 12:14:01 AM »

What LA outtakes was he on? Cali Feelin, Brian's Back, and what else?
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: March 07, 2010, 04:50:17 AM »

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song. They couldn't have been jumping for joy at a disco remake of an oldie, and some new Mike Love and Al Jardine numbers, along with a few sleepy Carl songs. "Baby Blue" however is an awesome tune, but honestly, how did they even accept this. There must have been better Brian stuff in the can they could have us

On Sunshine, he's singing pretty much the whole way through.  You can also hear him on Going On, the intro to "School Days", on Santa Ana Winds (not vocally though, just harmonica), and "Some of your Love".

Brian was on more LA tracks, just not the ones that actually made it to the album.
I'm fairly certain I hear Brian joining in on the Santa Anna Winds chorus.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #34 on: March 07, 2010, 05:07:41 AM »

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song.

Iffn they'd known said 'new' song was about four years old, I expect they'd have been even unhappier. Yetnikoff was right.  Grin
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 05:08:41 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: March 07, 2010, 08:00:04 AM »

Yeah, me too. Not to get obsessive about it, but at 2:37 I think I hear Brian singing "Oh the..." or "Oh those..." right before the group sings "...Santa Ana Winds...".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #36 on: March 07, 2010, 10:38:31 AM »

Yeah, me too. Not to get obsessive about it, but at 2:37 I think I hear Brian singing "Oh the..." or "Oh those..." right before the group sings "...Santa Ana Winds...".

Yes, and those vocals were recorded in 1978.  Also, despite what we used to think, the harmonica is not Brian but rather an uncredited Tommy Morgan (also from 1978).
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: March 07, 2010, 12:02:15 PM »

Oh darn it. That takes away something from that song, doesn't it?

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #38 on: March 07, 2010, 12:40:48 PM »

Why ? Exactly the same harp as it was yesterday, before you knew this. That's a very Bloo-ish response - "oh, not Brian so it can't be as good".  Wall

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #39 on: March 07, 2010, 01:23:31 PM »

Why ? Exactly the same harp as it was yesterday, before you knew this. That's a very Bloo-ish response - "oh, not Brian so it can't be as good".  Wall

Think of it this way, Fall Breaks...it's a harmonica solo by the guy Brian selected to play harmonica on "Pet Sounds", "Good Vibrations", "Friends", and later "Goin' Home".  And the guy who played the theme to "Sanford and Son"!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #40 on: March 07, 2010, 01:35:23 PM »

Wow...all this time I thought it was Brian! LOL

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: March 07, 2010, 01:43:07 PM »

Also, does anybody know why they really didn't use much Brian material on LA? Do you think it was Bruce's choice since he was producing? "Good Timin'" is a great song, and I just can't imagine CBS being very happy that they just signed the boys and had Brian only contribute one new song.

Iffn they'd known said 'new' song was about four years old, I expect they'd have been even unhappier. Yetnikoff was right.  Grin

I just don't understand how they accepted the LA Album. Didn't the contract specify a certain amount of participation from Brian? Especially for the first album in the CBS contract. I mean, Brian or not, its probably a better album than the more Brian-centric MIU, KTSA, or BB85, but still, how did the BB manage to get away with this. Same thing for Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland, I thought all those albums had contracts that called for like 70 percent of the writing (or something like that) to be BW.

And honestly, I'm kinda confused with why Yetnikoff said he was "f***ed". What exactly was the guy expecting, Sunflower or Pet Sounds? Did he even listen to 15BO, LY, or MIU? Compared to MIU, I'd probably be happy to take "California Feelin'", "Baby Blue", and *gulp* "Brian's Back".
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: March 07, 2010, 01:44:38 PM »

I was in a situation a few years ago where I was allowed to hear -- but I have to stress, never came into possession of, and hear in a controlled environment -- a few non-bootlegged items.  One of the things I was curious about was the KTSA/LA era recordings, so that's how I came to hear "California Feeling" and a couple of other things.  I don't actually own any bootlegs, or at least, none in the last 13 years or so, so I don't know what's on them or not.  But one thing that became apparent to me was there was an effort to have more Brian on both those recordings, but they didn't come up with anything that they could use (with the one exception that I suspect was left off for aesthetic reasons).
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: March 07, 2010, 04:05:10 PM »

I was in a situation a few years ago where I was allowed to hear -- but I have to stress, never came into possession of, and hear in a controlled environment -- a few non-bootlegged items.  One of the things I was curious about was the KTSA/LA era recordings, so that's how I came to hear "California Feeling" and a couple of other things.  I don't actually own any bootlegs, or at least, none in the last 13 years or so, so I don't know what's on them or not.  But one thing that became apparent to me was there was an effort to have more Brian on both those recordings, but they didn't come up with anything that they could use (with the one exception that I suspect was left off for aesthetic reasons).

What was the exception? I'm assuming "I'm Begging You Please" if only because its actually from those sessions but doesn't fit the "light, mellow" vibe of the album?

It's interesting that they had him give it a go at "California Feelin'" in '78. I figured that Brian wanted Carl to sing it. Anyways, did he actually finish the performance, or was it finished after his little "aside" early in the song? I just don't understand why they didn't use this song on LA...it totally fits with the vibe. Maybe they had too many Carl vocals on the album already? Who knows.  Anyways it would be interesting to hear both the '74 and '78 Brian takes on the song someday soon (please BRI? A seventies rarities anthology?)
« Last Edit: March 07, 2010, 04:06:29 PM by sweetdudejim » Logged
Jason
« Reply #44 on: March 07, 2010, 06:24:19 PM »

It's amazing how Brian's voice was somewhat smoother on MIU, then by the end of 1978 he's choking on sandpaper singing Drip Drop.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: March 07, 2010, 07:16:26 PM »

It's amazing how Brian's voice was somewhat smoother on MIU, then by the end of 1978 he's choking on sandpaper singing Drip Drop.

Meh - not the first instance of it going back and forth. He sounds exactly like he always did on the early "Ding Dang", recorded in late 74, yet just a few days later sounds much more like his newer voice on "Child of Winter" (albeit the "Pied Piper" voice confuses the issue a bit). Regardless, 15 Big Ones started work the next year, and you know what his vocals sound like there.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: March 07, 2010, 08:35:58 PM »

Nah, the Brian cover I'm thinking of, as I've already said I think, was from the KTSA sessions.  I probably shouldn't say which, but a gander at Andrew Doe's 1979 sessions page will narrow it down.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: March 07, 2010, 11:25:43 PM »

Something else just occurred to me about the M.I.U. Brian vocal thing.

Let's think about the timing for a minute.  M.I.U. happens and then not long after, Brian cracks up and is sent to Brotman.  IIRC, he flies directly out of Brotman and into the L.A. sessions in Miami (right there you have to ask yourself, wtf?).  What's the very next thing that happens?  Brian calls Bruce to come in and sing and/or produce. 

You take those three things together, it's very suggestive.  You can only conclude that Brian, coming straight out of the mental hospital, couldn't really function in the high pressure setting of a new label deal AND you have to wonder if his singing after being hospitalized was far below what the band expected.  They may have thought, like we did, that he'd be about where he was vocally for M.I.U., but it turned out he had basically nothing post-Brotman, for whatever reason.  Then, the phone call to Bruce.

The timing's suggestive, as I said.
Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: March 08, 2010, 09:23:53 AM »

Because I experience different things listening to a harp (I assume is) played by Brian Wilson than what I do listening to a harp played by a studio musician whom I haven't read dozens of books about, haven't met and don't even know how he looks. Also, I thought I heard Brian play a great harmonica line, which impressed me since the only (?) time I had heard him play harmonica before was "Susie Cincinnati" which is a much simpler part. Thirdly, I enjoyed hearing a prominent Brian Wilson performance (as in lead vocal and/or easily audible instrument) from an album that he isn't that present, or at least prominently audible, on. Fourthly, if that's a word, that harmonica line sounds so free and so full of life that I sometimes could get genuinely moved hearing it, wondering how Brian could kick in such a performance at that troubled time of his life.

That's why. The harp line is just as good as it was yesterday. It just affects me differently.

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: March 08, 2010, 10:00:16 AM »

I just don't understand how they accepted the LA Album. Didn't the contract specify a certain amount of participation from Brian? Especially for the first album in the CBS contract. I mean, Brian or not, its probably a better album than the more Brian-centric MIU, KTSA, or BB85, but still, how did the BB manage to get away with this. Same thing for Surf's Up, CATP, and Holland, I thought all those albums had contracts that called for like 70 percent of the writing (or something like that) to be BW.

And honestly, I'm kinda confused with why Yetnikoff said he was "foda". What exactly was the guy expecting, Sunflower or Pet Sounds? Did he even listen to 15BO, LY, or MIU? Compared to MIU, I'd probably be happy to take "California Feelin'", "Baby Blue", and *gulp* "Brian's Back".

He may have wanted something largely in tune with the times. Remember: there was elemental punk and new wave going on (for which the BBs not really qualified then, they did with '409' and 'Shut Down', and also with 'Love You'...); and there was a lot of AOR along the lines of Styx, Toto, Saga, really bland anaesthesized material. Perhaps the BBs songs just were too flimsy, too childish in his eyes.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx