gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680599 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:12:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Weezers Pinkerton  (Read 49175 times)
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #250 on: March 05, 2006, 03:55:59 PM »

No need to be mean.  Give him a chance to back up his assertions in no uncertain terms.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #251 on: March 05, 2006, 04:22:18 PM »

Sorry Aeijtzsche.

I will sue this blog and the owner
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #252 on: March 05, 2006, 04:36:09 PM »

Maybe the personal nature of the lyrics, including the whole point of view of Rivers Cuomo, makes Pinkerton different. But judging the music by itself, it just sounds derivative. I'm not a musician and don't play an instrument so I can't discuss chord progressions, etc. Maybe the whole Rivers Cumo angle makes the album special to people. 

Dead Horse
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 04:38:35 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
jdavolt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #253 on: March 05, 2006, 05:24:12 PM »

oh no, there's a lot more stuff going on musically. Similar to 'Pet Sounds' with the various melodic segments, except where 'Pet Sounds' uses different instrumentation, 'Pinkerton' just plays these little bits and pieces on electric guitar. Listen to the little instrumental passage in "Across the Sea", just prior to the "at 12, I shaved my head and tried to be a monk" part, or all of "Falling For You", for an example of what I'm talking about.

Oh, and btw, "hate".

I will sue this blog and the owner
Daniel S.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #254 on: March 05, 2006, 06:01:13 PM »

I'm gonna take it out and listen to it. Again. okay?  Wall

I think the Pet Sounds comparisons are what made me want to bash it, by the way. PS is my favorite.
« Last Edit: March 05, 2006, 06:03:29 PM by Heywood Floyd » Logged

Let us all stay teenage gamblers listening to the radio.
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #255 on: March 05, 2006, 06:05:36 PM »

Yeah, "Rivers Cuomo" really means little to me when it comes to carefully articulated arrangements, seamless key changes, strategically used distortion and harmonics...none of which sound generic or derivative to me. But if you think it is derivative, please list other albums or songs that these come from..I'd love to listen to them.

Many great musical moments on Pinkerton, especially in the bridges. The ATS part mentioned earlier, the Good Life, Pink Triangle, Falling For You.....especially the counterpoint melody stuff.

No need to listen to it again though if you don't like it. I definitely don't want to sound preachy, and I don't think you should have to like something you don't want to like. PS is my fav and Pink is my second fav.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

I've got the Beach Boys, my friends got the Stones

View Profile
« Reply #256 on: March 05, 2006, 06:09:11 PM »

I love Pinkerton, I really do.

I just don't see how people can dig it more than the Blue Album.  3D

We would like to record under an atmosphere of calmness. - Brian Wilson
--
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=g1IgXT3xFdU
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #257 on: March 05, 2006, 06:22:20 PM »

For me, it's a stronger album. I prefer the production and performance from an overall standpoint. I think half of Blue is great and half of it is merely good (I don't like Say It Ain't So or Only In Dreams as much as I should, so that plays into it, too). With Pinkerton, the whole thing is GOOD, and sometimes great. Blue may have more 'better' songs, but it also has more 'lesser' songs (for me).

Watch out for snakes!
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #258 on: March 05, 2006, 06:23:34 PM »

For me, it's probably just the amount of emotional depth and honesty with Pinkerton, despite it's instant inaccessibility. I think that's very hard to achieve, and I dig that.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #259 on: March 05, 2006, 06:34:25 PM »

I think Pinkerton is wonderful, the music is great, the content is easy to relate to (heart break, cant get the love you want, etc) and the production is solid since it was done by the guys themselves.

But there is this aura that comes with the blue album. Its happy, its sad, it gets soft and mellow and then it rocks out. It hits every emotion in a span of 40 some minutes. I mean, once you put it on you get sucked in by that catchy intro melody of 'My Name is Jonas' and just grab you by the balls when they start rockin out. It slowly progresses with very melodic and heart setting songs to the euphoric climix of Undone and Surf Wax America. Then again it just progresses through all these emotions to the conclusion that is possibly the best 8 minute composition Ive ever heard in my life.

And Ric Ocasek did a ridiculously good job with the production. That album is so clean and crisp...it sounds great! I was listening to Buddy Holly the other day in really crappy car stereo speakers and yet you can still hear the multiple layers of music and vocals because it was so well done.

--
andy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #260 on: March 05, 2006, 06:39:40 PM »

Good production in a great studio. Weezer's almost always picked the best studios to work in.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #261 on: March 06, 2006, 12:40:40 PM »

I can't choose between Pinkerton or Blue
from a pop-angle it's blue (I generally like the songs better)
from a emotional-angle it's pinkerton
production-wise I love both of them. Really do, it's the production that makes me hate the other 3 records.

after those 2 it's all downhile, besides some great demos and album tracks that didn't deserve to be on mediocre albums.

Weezer (Green) is lamely produced in the sense that the solo's are wrong and the songs are all the same, you get bored half way through. Maladriot had awful metal influence and the songs didn't fit. Make Believe has the bad lyrics.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #262 on: March 06, 2006, 01:46:24 PM »

Weezer (Green) is lamely produced in the sense that the solo's are wrong and the songs are all the same, you get bored half way through

Well, I think a lot of the fanbase has come to agree that the songs themselves are not bad, but the fairly uniform production across the record does make them sound the same.  I think the songs actually are fairly different from each other, I mean, Hash Pipe is really quite a different song from Island in the Sun, but at times you can barely tell because the production just kind of got ramrodded through, to get the record done or something. 

Even more puzzling is the final song selection.  To me, the B-sides and rarities from the Green Era are in general much better than many of the album tracks.  Starlight has a fantastic, far-reaching melody, Brightening Day would have sounded unique on the final line-up, I Do and Always are, if nothing else, completely different sounding from anything from that era, and Teenage Victory Song and Sugar Booger are, uh, funner than much of the Album material.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #263 on: March 06, 2006, 02:21:49 PM »

I would like to listen to the b-sides during the Green album era. I thought the (Green) album was awful, it lost the charisma and 'lovin' feeling that I recieved from the first two albums. I probably dug a couple of songs at most.

Maladroit was a step to the right direction, but still missing the aura that was strongly felt before.

--
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #264 on: March 06, 2006, 08:27:19 PM »

Check it out: http://www.weezernation.com/media/main.php?id=besides

I agree with Josh, except I'd say "more fun."

Watch out for snakes!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #265 on: March 07, 2006, 06:36:25 AM »

Weezer (Green) is lamely produced in the sense that the solo's are wrong and the songs are all the same, you get bored half way through

Well, I think a lot of the fanbase has come to agree that the songs themselves are not bad, but the fairly uniform production across the record does make them sound the same.  I think the songs actually are fairly different from each other, I mean, Hash Pipe is really quite a different song from Island in the Sun, but at times you can barely tell because the production just kind of got ramrodded through, to get the record done or something. 

Even more puzzling is the final song selection.  To me, the B-sides and rarities from the Green Era are in general much better than many of the album tracks.  Starlight has a fantastic, far-reaching melody, Brightening Day would have sounded unique on the final line-up, I Do and Always are, if nothing else, completely different sounding from anything from that era, and Teenage Victory Song and Sugar Booger are, uh, funner than much of the Album material.

yes indeed, that's my point too. I said the songs are all the same, but I know that's not true. They don't sound diverse, although Weezer songs are almost always based on the same blueprint, Green suffers the most of the formula. Bad final song selection, I think I said here that both Make Believe and Maladroit also have this problem.
Jonas
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #266 on: March 07, 2006, 06:56:46 AM »

I have a copy of the unmastered version of Maladroit that comes with 20 some odd tracks. I created my own tracklisting of 10 songs out of that, and imo if they went with that selection I think the album wouldve definitely gone back to the right direction. The final tracklisting only had like 2 or 3 of the songs I picked.  Poke

--
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #267 on: March 08, 2006, 12:33:31 PM »

www.weerez.com
under media you can find all the demos

so we could all make our own maladroit

(and a better one)
PapaNez22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #268 on: March 14, 2006, 03:44:25 PM »

I think his other big problem is that he somehow got the impression he should be idolizing Green Day and Oasis when they are at the most his peers and at the least his artistic inferiors.

I never really got that, either.  He went from copying some of his most imaginative peers (Flaming Lips, Nirvana, Blur) to copying some of his least imaginative.

what a crock that statement is.
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #269 on: March 19, 2006, 02:20:07 PM »

Did anyone of you ever listen to Grandaddy's Sophtware Slump? I think that record, again totally different instruments, sounds
a bit like Pinkerton and Pet Sounds and the lyrics show some resamblence too. The record is amazing I might add
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #270 on: March 19, 2006, 06:45:18 PM »

Can't say I have. Maybe I'll look into it.

Watch out for snakes!
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #271 on: March 20, 2006, 12:31:46 PM »

Can't say I have. Maybe I'll look into it.

you should, the record is about being homesick. Jason Lytle (leader of grandaddy) had a tough time being on the road
(like Brian did) and really missed home. The songs are about that, they have a beach boys vibe in melody only I think. But still, it reminds me of Pet Sounds and Pinkerton.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #272 on: March 20, 2006, 12:42:24 PM »

Didn't Granddaddy just break up?
Billgoodman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #273 on: March 21, 2006, 07:08:49 AM »

yes, the will release one more album (which is already in the can)
the record I'm talking about his their sophmore album
You should really give it a spin (or download it and buy it afterwards)
mark my words it's good!
The Trader
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #274 on: June 14, 2006, 09:14:48 PM »

Here some Q&A's with rivers from his myspace:

*all of rivers comments are glowing*

What do you say to those people (fans) who say they want another Pinkerton?
---Michael Silvers

I cant control what I write. I have to accept whatever comes. If its not what someone wants to hear, then at least they can agree with me to love Pinkerton and part as friends.

Rivers, unlike Green, Make Believe, Maladroit, and even the Blue Album, Pinkerton is a reflection of you. Why are you holding back with your music and your emotions?
---Eric

On each of those albums I just wrote what I thought sounded cool. I guess my sense of cool changed from album to ablum.

You were interviewed for the May 25th, 2001 issue of Entertainment Weekly in an article titled "Older & Weezer." On the topic of your sophomore album 'Pinkerton', you were you were quoted as saying:
"Everyone thought it was"--he pauses, letting the thought hang--"an embarrassment. One of the worst albums of all time."..."It's a hideous record," Cuomo says. "It was such a hugely painful mistake that happened in front of hundreds of thousands of people and continues to happen on a grander and grander scale and just won't go away."..."The fans have given us this miraculous career, and it's all because of Pinkerton. That's all they want, that's all they care about. It's so frustrating, because I don't want to turn my back on them, but I sure as hell don't want to do Pinkerton. I have to face the fact that I'm going to completely p--- off all these fans who have been so good to us over the past few years."
And in 2005 Spin Magazine listed 'Pinkerton' #61 on their list of the 100 Best Albums from 1985-2005. (None of the other Weezer albums made this list.)
Rolling Stone who named 'Pinkerton' the second worst album of the year in 1996, in 2004 an article changed its status to a 5-star rating and inducted it into The Rolling Stone Hall Of Fame. This article can be found in the Reviews sections of the 500 Greatest Songs Of All Time issue.
Why do[/did] you hate so much what is now being argued as some of your best work and perhaps your best album?
---John

I was embarrassed because I made a very ego-centric album that was almost universally loathed.

What is your CURRENT opinion of each of weezer's past albums?
---me
Greenwich, CT

Theyre all great!

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 6 7 8 9 10 [11] 12 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx