gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 12:01:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Down Print
Author Topic: BWPS - The Final Verdict  (Read 33545 times)
OneEar/OneEye
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: February 18, 2010, 10:41:04 AM »

I don't see his comment about "Smile seeming smaller" as being about the length of the album though.   I think he was speaking in more of a metaphorical sense.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #201 on: February 18, 2010, 12:19:02 PM »

Remember that Van Dyke was out of the project before Brian started recording 'Fire' and some other mateiral. But he would have heard what went before it. Given all the fragments and sequences he might have heard, its credible that his recollection might have been of a longer album. He was also aware that there was music recorded after he left the process.

Van Dyke wasn't out of the project until early 1967. Fire was recorded in November '66, and it was in December when the infamous 'Mike asked VDP about his lyrics' episode took place.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #202 on: February 18, 2010, 12:20:26 PM »

Didn't he quit  for a while only to return later?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #203 on: February 18, 2010, 12:32:29 PM »

Both times were in early 1967. If he really did quit 2 times, I think there's some doubt as to whether he actually quit the project twice. Maybe AGD or another of the fellas on here that are more schooled in BB-ology could shed some light on this.
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: February 18, 2010, 12:37:39 PM »

"like a small collection of finely engraved postage stamps, for intimate viewing. "

Serenade

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: February 18, 2010, 12:49:16 PM »

I greatly admire VDP but man does he talk some gobble-de-gook at times or what?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #206 on: February 18, 2010, 01:09:20 PM »

He does have a unique way about him. Without it, though, we wouldn't have those lyrical passages like 'Once Upon The Sandwich Islands/The Social Structure Steamed Upon Hawaii'.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #207 on: February 18, 2010, 01:18:48 PM »

I just got his "Song Cycle" CD on tuesday. Words can't describe it. Gonna be playing that one to death me's think.

P.S.  This may make me sound as stubbon as a mule but now having heard it, I point blank refuse to believe that he played zero part in composing the music to Smile.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: February 19, 2010, 02:14:43 AM »

I just got his "Song Cycle" CD on tuesday. Words can't describe it. Gonna be playing that one to death me's think.

P.S.  This may make me sound as stubbon as a mule but now having heard it, I point blank refuse to believe that he played zero part in composing the music to Smile.

Now there's a thought. I must confess, here and now, and for the first time, that I always was of the very same opinion. How and when I do not know. The musical leap from Pet Sounds to Smile is enormous. For these amateur ears, it is pretty inconceivable that Brian changed his compositional talents in such a way. Mind: I do not belittle Brian's capacities one iota here. But since I know Song Cycle for 35 years now, and Pet Sounds/Smile material for 36, I have a more than a hunch indeed that Parks 'helped and supported, mediated, enabled' Brian with the music for Smile also, besides the words.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: February 19, 2010, 04:44:47 AM »

P.S.  This may make me sound as stubbon as a mule but now having heard it, I point blank refuse to believe that he played zero part in composing the music to Smile.

Now there's a thought. I must confess, here and now, and for the first time, that I always was of the very same opinion. How and when I do not know. The musical leap from Pet Sounds to Smile is enormous. For these amateur ears, it is pretty inconceivable that Brian changed his compositional talents in such a way. Mind: I do not belittle Brian's capacities one iota here. But since I know Song Cycle for 35 years now, and Pet Sounds/Smile material for 36, I have a more than a hunch indeed that Parks 'helped and supported, mediated, enabled' Brian with the music for Smile also, besides the words.

VanDyke has indicated that although he didn't help Brian with the lyrics to Good Vibrations, that he did suggest using a cello. If true, that would be a good start.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: February 19, 2010, 04:55:35 AM »

P.S.  This may make me sound as stubbon as a mule but now having heard it, I point blank refuse to believe that he played zero part in composing the music to Smile.

VanDyke has indicated that although he didn't help Brian with the lyrics to Good Vibrations, that he did suggest using a cello. If true, that would be a good start.

Good call. Oh how I'd have loved to be a fly on the wall, there and then, when these two gentle giants were playing ping pong with all those grand and tiny ideas for the new album... it's my ultimate musical fantasy, in fact. Van Dyke may have played the odd piano suggestion to Brian, or on any of the other instruments he plays, or hummed various suggestions for a new melody line, a connection between different songs, God knows what.

He should have overseen the sessions for 'Rio Grande'. Yes, he should.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Bean Bag
Smiley Smile Associate

Right?

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: February 19, 2010, 07:11:25 AM »

There's no question that Van was a massive, massive influence on the whole vibe, feel, aesthetic of SMiLE.  No question.  From the whole romantic sweep of the project -- to its "intimate viewing" of antique details.  Total Van Dyke.  But of course it was all influencing Brian and I imagine it was there for Brian's ferocious appetite to feed on.  Just like all them mystical books and such.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: February 19, 2010, 10:15:47 AM »

I find the biggest leap is that for all it's lush production and arrangements most of the songs on PS at their heart still carry a "Top 40" ring to them. It's easy to imagine 70% or so of the material making for good singles.  Smile just doesn't have that, it's a very different beast. As VDP clearly doesn't care about material being radio friendly or not I think he played no small part in making Bri think even more "outside the box" than before.

runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #213 on: February 19, 2010, 11:48:15 AM »

Mike? Is that you?

Wasn't that Carl who suggested the cello?

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: February 19, 2010, 11:53:04 AM »

Wasn't that Carl who suggested the cello?

Dunno.

I've read or heard VDP say it directly. Not sure if Carl had also made that claim.
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #215 on: February 19, 2010, 12:00:43 PM »

And remember, Van Dyke played on a few SMiLE sessions. That doesn't necessarily mean that he did anything more than play what Brian told him, but I would think he at least made a few musical suggestions.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #216 on: February 19, 2010, 12:44:07 PM »

Both times were in early 1967. If he really did quit 2 times, I think there's some doubt as to whether he actually quit the project twice. Maybe AGD or another of the fellas on here that are more schooled in BB-ology could shed some light on this.

Paging Cam Mott... call for Mr. Mott !!!

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Cam Mott
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: February 19, 2010, 02:12:17 PM »

I don't really know, it depends how they looked at it.  It seems to me that when VDP talks about it: he quit once or did he finish his job [which isn't really "quit"ting] and quit coming around the work place? Siegel said VDP quit and came back, so I'm not sure what sense he means that in. It seems to me that VDP associates his non-association with the project with the time of the lawsuit but he also says something about distancing himself from the work around the time of Fire or something. Maybe I remember wrong.

"Bring me the head of Carmen Sandiego" Lynne "The Chief" Thigpen
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: February 19, 2010, 02:22:46 PM »

This is hauling stuff up from the abyssal depths of my memory, but my recall is that VDP quit for two weeks, then returned, and finally took up the offer of a solo contract from Warner's. I guess the latter looked a better bet than Smile ever coming out. Good call, as it turns out.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
GLarson432
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: February 19, 2010, 08:40:57 PM »

What I think I remember about VDP's involvement with Good Vibrations is not that he suggested the cello but rather suggested that it be played in 'triplets'.
armona
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: February 19, 2010, 10:06:52 PM »

What I think I remember about VDP's involvement with Good Vibrations is not that he suggested the cello but rather suggested that it be played in 'triplets'.

This is a quote from Van Dyke:
"Well, many years ago, I suggested to Brian Wilson that he put a cello on 'Good Vibrations.' He did, and it became a signature sound of that song. I also suggested the triplet fundamentals in the music."
A Million Units In Jan!
« Reply #221 on: February 20, 2010, 02:06:48 AM »

I don't really know, it depends how they looked at it.  It seems to me that when VDP talks about it: he quit once or did he finish his job [which isn't really "quit"ting] and quit coming around the work place? Siegel said VDP quit and came back, so I'm not sure what sense he means that in. It seems to me that VDP associates his non-association with the project with the time of the lawsuit but he also says something about distancing himself from the work around the time of Fire or something. Maybe I remember wrong.

I think that he didn't quit around fire, but just didn't come down to that session. At least that's what I got out of it.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx