gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680839 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 03:59:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24285 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 12, 2010, 06:45:50 AM »

What about "Caroline, No"?

Can I get some love for "Chug-A-Lug"?  Grin
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 12, 2010, 06:54:17 AM »

What about "Caroline, No"?

Can I get some love for "Chug-A-Lug"?  Grin

No you can't.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 12, 2010, 07:23:32 AM »

Ok, get striking...

Wendy, We'll Run Away, Goin' On, Aren't you Glad, Little Bird

None of them classics imo but I do like the live version of Aren't you Glad.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 12, 2010, 07:32:03 AM »

I'm afraid we'll end up with only one song: Kokomo. That'll mean the end of the board as we know it. The Blueboarders will p*ss themselves laughing.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 12, 2010, 07:39:21 AM »

I'm afraid we'll end up with only one song: Kokomo. That'll mean the end of the board as we know it. The Blueboarders will p*ss themselves laughing.

Ha ha - I knew there was a song I'd forgotten!  I have to say, I'm surprised songs aren't being scrubbed at a faster rate. Wait until those cynical Americans wake up ... It'll be bye bye Good Vibrations  Grin

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Roger Ryan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #30 on: February 12, 2010, 09:42:51 AM »

Yikes, I feel like a real heel, but I'm not a fan of "Country Air". I love every other track left on the list.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 12, 2010, 09:50:44 AM »

Just Once In My Life
It's OK
My Diane

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 12, 2010, 09:51:36 AM »

Yikes, I feel like a real heel, but I'm not a fan of "Country Air". I love every other track left on the list.

Well, I'm sad to see it go, but (and I know this is going to sound corny) I'd hate it if we all liked exactly the same songs.
« Last Edit: February 12, 2010, 09:56:16 AM by buddhahat » Logged

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 12, 2010, 09:55:43 AM »

Just Once In My Life
It's OK
My Diane

I feel like the thread nazi, but I had to scratch all but It's OK.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 12, 2010, 09:57:14 AM »

I know it's unreleased but Stevie anyone? It's one of my favourite BW compositions from the period.

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 12, 2010, 10:01:47 AM »

I will have to log out soon. But I see the contours of a wonderful compilation showing through. Send the final list to Capitol and cash in a nice summer profit.

LetHimRun
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 12, 2010, 10:56:50 AM »

I can't believe Lonely Sea and Surfer Girl haven't been mentioned. Those should be added, though someone will probably have them struck out because they are "stereotypical Beach Boys songs" even though they are great.

Some I'd add:
Lonely Sea
Surfer Girl
Good to My Baby
You're So Good to Me

The ones not currently struck out are all fine with me. Some of the ones I love are out, but that's fine. Tongue
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 12, 2010, 11:57:39 AM »

Scratch Stevie.

I'd add Wake the World, Be Here in the Morning, When a Man Needs a Woman, Cottonfields (20/20 version), Never Learn Not to Love, Be With Me, We're Together Again, Can't Wait Too Long, You Need a Mess of Help, Marcella, Funky Pretty, and Big Sur.  some of these may have already been scratched.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 12, 2010, 12:15:38 PM »

Scratch Stevie.

I'd add Wake the World, Be Here in the Morning, When a Man Needs a Woman, Cottonfields (20/20 version), Never Learn Not to Love, Be With Me, We're Together Again, Can't Wait Too Long, You Need a Mess of Help, Marcella, Funky Pretty, and Big Sur.  some of these may have already been scratched.

Some great suggestions there. I'd considered the Friends additions but didn't want to flood the list with Friends stuff but what the hey - they're great tracks (although they may not stay for long). I even used When A man Love A Woman on our firstborn's home movie!  Can't believe we've overlooked the post 20/20 stuff, especially Can't Wait Too Long & We're Together Again. I've added Old Man River too.

Afraid I will put the kaibosh on Never Learn Not To Love (the manson connection creeps me out) and Cottonfields. I've never been hugely into 20/20.

GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 12, 2010, 12:48:50 PM »

W-what?! No Where I belong? How about Somewhere near Japan? Couldn't we agree on this late-period forgotten classic?
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 12, 2010, 01:50:23 PM »

W-what?! No Where I belong? How about Somewhere near Japan? Couldn't we agree on this late-period forgotten classic?

I scratched Where I Belong, but I have to confess I never listen to BB post about 1980 so am not familiar with the song. I gave it a cusory listen and it did little for me, but if a lot of people love it I'll unscratch it. I thought Somewhere Near japan was a joke, but I'll stick it on there if you're serious!

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 12, 2010, 02:05:02 PM »

I scratched Where I Belong, but I have to confess I never listen to BB post about 1980 so am not familiar with the song. I gave it a cusory listen and it did little for me, but if a lot of people love it I'll unscratch it. I thought Somewhere Near japan was a joke, but I'll stick it on there if you're serious!
As with many Beach Boys songs, "Where I Belong" grows on you the more you listen to it. Don't give up after just one song - if I'd done that I wouldn't have listened to Pet Sounds more than once!

By the way, scratch "Girl Don't Tell Me" and "Your Summer Dream".

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 12, 2010, 02:30:58 PM »

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand All Summer Long.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 12, 2010, 02:34:51 PM »

As with many Beach Boys songs, "Where I Belong" grows on you the more you listen to it. Don't give up after just one song - if I'd done that I wouldn't have listened to Pet Sounds more than once!

By the way, scratch "Girl Don't Tell Me" and "Your Summer Dream".

Fair point re: Where I Belong, so it is unscratched until someone else expresses a dislike for it.

Maybe it's just me, but I can't stand All Summer Long.

Consider it scratched!

Fall Breaks
Smiley Smile Associate

How it really got to my soul

View Profile
« Reply #44 on: February 12, 2010, 02:51:51 PM »

Oh, and another thing: add "Catch a Wave"!

"I think people should write better melodies and sing a little sweeter, and knock off that stupid rap crap, y’know? Rap is really ridiculous" -- Brian Wilson, 2010
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 12, 2010, 04:36:30 PM »

I would scratch Friends, Be Here in the Morning, When a Man needs a Woman, Wake the World, Old Man River, It's OK, Be With Me and We're Together Again.

I'd like to add Fallin' in Love though which I think was released on the Love Songs CD so presumably is eligible.
Bicyclerider
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 12, 2010, 04:40:13 PM »

It is incomprehensible to me that any Beach Boys fan would not love Wake the World.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 12, 2010, 05:02:03 PM »

This thread is right up there with Al's stolen car thread!  LOL
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 12, 2010, 05:18:00 PM »

It is incomprehensible to me that any Beach Boys fan would not love Wake the World.

Sue me.  Smiley

It's a nice song and works as part of the album but I can't say that I absolutely love it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 12, 2010, 05:40:09 PM »

For years, Brian called Friends his favorite album. I like it a lot too, although I like EVERY Beach Boys album.

But, other than MIU, IN MY OPINION, Friends is the only other Beach Boys album that doesn't have a stone-cold, classic Beach Boys song on it. Again, I like the songs - especially "Wake The World", "Little Bird", "Transendental Meditation, and the title cut - but I don't put them in that superior Beach Boys' song category. "Busy Doin' Nothin'' comes close, but I'm not sure that'a a classic.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx