gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680840 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 26, 2024, 04:54:46 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Paging all board members: BB songs we all agree on  (Read 24291 times)
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #200 on: March 08, 2010, 03:33:59 PM »

Finally getting around to posting on this thread.

I can't freakin' STAND "Don't Hurt My little sister", as it is one of the the reasons I feel Today is highly overrated, same with In The Back Of My Mind (I like the instrumental track, but the vocals don't fit  and sound hurried). Those two songs and Don't Back Down just so happen to be my 3 least favorite BB tracks.

Really? You have heard BB85 I take it?

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #201 on: March 08, 2010, 05:49:43 PM »

Yeah, and I actually don't dislike it, minus California Calling, I'm So Lonely, and It's Just a Matter of Time. To be honest, I'm not a big fan of the pre-Pet Sounds material as compared to what came later (as my favorite songs generally range from 1966-1972), but the songs listed in the post you quoted are the only ones I can honestly say I do not care for.

My thoughts on ITBOMM have been posted numerous times on this site. Don't Back Down...I actually find Brian's vocals to be cringe-worthy, esp the "who's got GUTS" part. Now as far as DNMLS...to me, it sounds muddy and entirely too busy and over produced. To be honest, it's not a well-written song either.

I'm not all giddy over Girls on the Beach either. I could either take it or leave it. There...I said it.  I'm prepared to get shat on now.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #202 on: March 08, 2010, 06:10:49 PM »

Consider yourself shat on.  "Girls On The Beach" alone is arguably better than anything made after Holland.

I'm not saying that preferring everything post-1966 is horrible, but it seems like hating on all of the early stuff is the hip thing to do these days...and consequently later albums like Sunflower and Surf's Up are overrated in fan circles.  I'm a fan of pretty much all of their eras and can find good (and bad) stuff on all of their albums.

Except Summer In Paradise.  That one's just awful.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #203 on: March 08, 2010, 06:51:05 PM »

I too can find good and bad stuff on all their albums (well, I can't find anything bad on Pet Sounds, but yeah...). Hell, even SIP has "Strange things happen".  See, the thing is, for the longest time,growing up,  I actually hated the Beach Boys. Later on, when I did become a fan, it still took a long time for me to give the earlier material a shot. And for the most part I like it, minus the LDC album and the songs mentioned earlier. Actually, listening to "Party" without the party overdubs is revelatory.  Still, PS thru   Holland are my  favorites. Not because it's the "hip" thing to do, but because that time period happens to be my favorite.  And to be fair, Smiley Smile was the album that turned me on to the Beach Boys.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #204 on: March 08, 2010, 07:09:24 PM »

I seem to be one of the few fans left who thinks that 1964-1967 is the best period of the Beach Boys, along with I'd say 1969-1970. The rest, of course, has a lot of offer but I tend to think of the best BB songs along the lines of all the stuff on "Pet Sounds," "California Girls" everything on All Summer Long and Today and the SMiLE material.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #205 on: March 09, 2010, 12:21:28 AM »

What about Anna Lee The Healer? Busy Doin' Nothing? Getcha Back? Roller Skating Child? The Night Was So Young? Can we include "bootleg songs", like My Solution, or Over The Waves(aka: Carnival)? Sorry guys, but I hate Sound Of Free.  LOL But since there is the embryonic River Song riff in the song, I would include it based on historical reasons only.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #206 on: March 09, 2010, 12:36:39 AM »

[
By the way, my fave BBs track of all time isn't on the list yet: Days On The Surf Frontier.

Vote it off guys, by all means, but please give good reasons.

Sorry Wee Helper, I do not know this song, and google is turning up zilch. If you can tell me what year it's from, I'll put it on there.

What about Anna Lee The Healer? Busy Doin' Nothing? Getcha Back? Roller Skating Child? The Night Was So Young? Can we include "bootleg songs", like My Solution, or Over The Waves(aka: Carnival)? Sorry guys, but I hate Sound Of Free.  LOL But since there is the embryonic River Song riff in the song, I would include it based on historical reasons only.

Many of the ones you mention are already scratched unfortunately, but Busy Doin Nothin is already on there and fortunately nobody's touched it (yet)! Added Anna Lee too.

I've added Carnival and My Solution, but they've been instantly scrubbed I'm afraid as I was never particularly keen on either.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #207 on: March 09, 2010, 01:06:19 AM »

I seem to be one of the few fans left who thinks that 1964-1967 is the best period of the Beach Boys, along with I'd say 1969-1970. The rest, of course, has a lot of offer but I tend to think of the best BB songs along the lines of all the stuff on "Pet Sounds," "California Girls" everything on All Summer Long and Today and the SMiLE material.

Actually, I always thought most fans feel that way.

TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #208 on: March 09, 2010, 04:24:45 AM »

I love every song you mentioned.

And yes Billy I suppose most fans feel that way, but of late it seems that some of have been putting down the earlier stuff in favor of the more experimental work. I still think "California Girls" is perhaps the most magical record they ever made.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #209 on: March 09, 2010, 06:16:57 AM »

You have my permission to remove Anna Lee The Healer.  Never much liked it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #210 on: March 09, 2010, 10:55:04 AM »

Actually, I always thought most fans feel that way.
For me their "Golden Era" was from "Today!" through to "Holland".  Granted their was still a misstep here and there within this period but overall I think during this 8 year reign they made some of the most beloved, exciting and most of all original music of ALL time.

I'd split these albums into 3 distinct sections

a) "Today!"/ "Smile"is Brian's development and overall (consistant) peak as producer/songwriter/innovator/genius.

b) "Smiley Smile"/"20/20" finds Brian still the dominate musical force but by this point he no longer holds a masterplan for the bands future. As a result partly through desire and partly though necessity the other members are getting their oats at songcrafting.

c) "Sunflower"/ "Holland" ~ the group truly blossom and all make great music under the overall supervision of Carl.
« Last Edit: March 09, 2010, 10:57:32 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #211 on: March 09, 2010, 08:46:15 PM »

Many of the ones you mention are already scratched unfortunately, but Busy Doin Nothin is already on there and fortunately nobody's touched it (yet)! Added Anna Lee too.

I've added Carnival and My Solution, but they've been instantly scrubbed I'm afraid as I was never particularly keen on either.

[/quote]Sorry, I didn't look at the list to carefully. How about Slip On Through? That song kicks about ten kinds of ass.  Grin

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #212 on: March 09, 2010, 11:23:25 PM »

. How about Slip On Through? That song kicks about ten kinds of ass.  Grin

Good call! I can't believe it's not on there already.

I've added Our Sweet Love too as that is a particular favourite of mine.

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
MBE
« Reply #213 on: March 10, 2010, 02:21:30 AM »

I would say the regular studio albums from 1964-73 (not counting things like Party or Xmas) are all peak Beach Boys. I would throw in the Surfin USA LP too.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #214 on: March 10, 2010, 06:44:27 PM »

Whatcha mean by this?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #215 on: March 10, 2010, 06:58:00 PM »

What about Anna Lee The Healer? Busy Doin' Nothing? Getcha Back? Roller Skating Child? The Night Was So Young? Can we include "bootleg songs", like My Solution, or Over The Waves(aka: Carnival)? Sorry guys, but I hate Sound Of Free.  LOL But since there is the embryonic River Song riff in the song, I would include it based on historical reasons only.

Whatcha mean by this?
Most of the melody of Sound Of Free is the basic structure that became River Song.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #216 on: March 10, 2010, 08:48:20 PM »

ah, i see, i need to give it a re-listen....wouldn't that song be more amazing remastered?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #217 on: March 10, 2010, 10:31:59 PM »

ah, i see, i need to give it a re-listen....wouldn't that song be more amazing remastered?
It starts at about 49 seconds into the song, and goes through to the end, I think. It might be best if you compare this to the River Song outtake that The Beach Boys did, rather than Dennis' version. You may be able to pick it out more easily.  http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3klpbjKu-1w&feature=related

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #218 on: March 12, 2010, 12:30:15 AM »

I've always been distinctly underwhelmed (i.e. dislike) by I Know There's An Answer and I'm Waiting For The Day and I often tend to skip over them when I listen to PS. Those two and That's Not Me are the weakest on the album by a LONG way IMHO, and the only blemishes on an otherwise other-worldly piece of work.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #219 on: March 12, 2010, 01:52:42 AM »

I've always been distinctly underwhelmed (i.e. dislike) by I Know There's An Answer and I'm Waiting For The Day and I often tend to skip over them when I listen to PS. Those two and That's Not Me are the weakest on the album by a LONG way IMHO, and the only blemishes on an otherwise other-worldly piece of work.

Thanks for the input Brother John - A brave man who opts to scratch 3 from Pet Sounds!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #220 on: March 12, 2010, 11:37:44 AM »

The one song from PS I really don't care for is "Let's Go Away For Awhile". I think it's the one tune off the record where Brian did lead the group too far off the beaten track musically.  "Brian's ego music" ho-hum!

slothrop
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #221 on: March 12, 2010, 12:07:04 PM »

The one song from PS I really don't care for is "Let's Go Away For Awhile". I think it's the one tune off the record where Brian did lead the group too far off the beaten track musically.  "Brian's ego music" ho-hum!

I actually dig it as the B-side to GV more than as a PS track. It makes for one of the best (but, I suppose, one of the most "egoistical" too) 45s ever.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #222 on: March 12, 2010, 04:08:56 PM »

It's scratched.

Personally I think it's absolutely incredible. It has all the ingredients to make it muzak, yet it's something so much greater. Definitely a beguiling and wonderful track.

Only 5 left on Pet Sounds now ...

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #223 on: March 12, 2010, 10:30:26 PM »

I like it more than the original Pet Sounds version of Pet Sounds, which to me only hit it's stride with Brian's band. The version on the Live DVD is my personal favorite one that I've heard.

buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #224 on: March 13, 2010, 12:11:47 AM »

I like it more than the original Pet Sounds version of Pet Sounds, which to me only hit it's stride with Brian's band. The version on the Live DVD is my personal favorite one that I've heard.

Sorry I'm confused - what other version of Let's Go Away are we talking about? Was it in a different form on the b-side to Good Vibrations? Or are you just comparing the version he performed live with the original?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 4 5 6 7 8 [9] 10 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx