gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 01:48:52 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated BB's Related Songs  (Read 26441 times)
carlydenise
Smiley Smile Associate

Heaven

View Profile
« Reply #125 on: March 02, 2010, 01:23:13 PM »

Student Demonstration Time-what were they thinking?

I saw quite a few songs I really like, Let The Wind Blow, Sound of Free, Wonderful, San Miguel, Full Sail, Good Timin..I like their school/surfing/car songs, but LOVE the later stuff Smiley

come be my redeemer...awaken me beautiful dreamer
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #126 on: March 02, 2010, 01:27:57 PM »

But really, Love You - yeh, The Night Was So Young is very nice, but not a classic

Good song, but I wouldn't say it's even the best on the album.

but the whole album sounds dated

Hr rm, don't know about this. Name some other albums from around this time that even sound remotely similar.

and the lyrics are almost all awful - no, not kooky and enduring, weird and disturbing. This is the guy who wrote Til I Die. And now here he is singing about snogging roller skating children and rhyming groovy with movie. When Dennis croons about patting some apparent infant and/or girlfriend's butt - is that anything other than extremely bizarre?

I never understood these claims. Both totally innocent songs that people take too literally. He isn't talking about friggin' a literal child that roller skates, "child" is a term of endearment that I've heard used several times outside of this. He's not talking about pervertedly touching an infant's ass. Songs like these, "Hey Little Tomboy" etc. come from a totally innocent place. And when I say innocent, I mean innocent and harmless, not innocent as in a person doesn't know better.

I don't wanna use the lame, "It's not dirty, you just have a dirty mind," argument, but...

Maybe its just me, but i don't find this album cute and enduring and so on, as many other BB fans seem too. I find it sad and depressing. I don't find Brian writing in this infantile way appealing at all - the occasional good tune only enthasising what had been lost by this stage.

I don't know, though. It was coming from a sincere place, I don't think his mind had degenerated and that's why the lyrics are the way they are. They're very, very Brian, I think. Just as Brian as, say, "Til I Die", just a very different side.

To each his own, though. A few of these claims just didn't sit right with me, though.

Yeh, i see some of your points. I don't hate Love You, it just baffles me though when BB fans constantly sing its praises. For the record, i do indeed have a very dirty mind, but that doesn't change the fact that the lyrics to Roller skating child and I wanna pick you up are creepy, whether its unintentinal creepiness or not.
And i agree 100% with the post where the guy said I like the songs but the lyrics get in the way. It doesn't matter how loudly i turn the volume up on Mona, those lyrics - aaaarrrrgggghhhh!!!!!
(I don't get the Smiley Smile/Love You comparison though - the music on Smiley (my all time 2nd favourite BB album) is light years ahead of Love You.)

The comparison to Smiley is from a fan's standpoint is quite simple.

Upon listening to both I can see fans saying WTF.  Both albums set the Beach Boys back as a creative entity - they recovered from 'Smiley' but never from 'Love You'.

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #127 on: March 02, 2010, 02:05:50 PM »

"Student Demonstration Time-what were they thinking?"

I actually dig Student Demonstration Time. Corny as it may be, it kinda rocks in a good way. Mike sounds good, as do the harmonies. I also love how a song about student demonstrations/Kent State ect, comes on the heels of such a nostalgic fantasy peice as Disney Girls. Sort of like the narrarator of that song wakes up to realize, yeah, he's still in the turbulent, drugged up, Vietnam era! SDT really does fit in on Surfs Up and helps the album's conceptual flow (something I rambled and babbled about in an older post/older thread).

Does anyone know who's playing the rather awesome (while still awesomely raw) lead guitar on the track?

I think Dennis is playing the in-the-pocket drums. He did mention "Riot" being the last song he drummed on before destroying his hand. Sounds like someone overdubbed the high-hat though!
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #128 on: March 04, 2010, 12:37:47 PM »

Correct me if I'm mistaken but I believe it was our own C. Wilson blasting out those rocking guitar licks! I'm baffled why so many hate SDT. It's in my bottom 3 on the "Surfs Up" LP but I think it serves it's purpose in that it gives the record a good kick up the arse after "Disney Girls" before hitting the listener with the dark introspective beauty of side 2.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #129 on: July 05, 2011, 09:06:23 AM »

4. "Meant For You" - What is so great about this song? It's too short, wimpy, and it should've CLOSED the album, not opened it!

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Don_Zabu
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #130 on: August 05, 2011, 04:36:08 PM »

The only Beach Boys song I can honestly call overrated is "The Little Girl I Once Knew". Sure, the production is nice and the chorus is catchy, but I hate the chord progression of the verses, as well as Mike's asides, and those pauses are unbearable.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2011, 07:00:42 PM by Don_Zabu » Logged
Dunderhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #131 on: August 05, 2011, 05:45:01 PM »

I can't be the only one who thinks this:
God Only Knows

I often see it listed as the personal favorite of many, or the high point of Pet Sounds. I'm not crazy about it, the high points of Pet Sounds to me are I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and LGAFA.

TEAM COHEN; OFFICIAL CAPTAIN (2013-)
ghost
« Reply #132 on: August 05, 2011, 06:28:45 PM »

I can't be the only one who thinks this:
God Only Knows

I often see it listed as the personal favorite of many, or the high point of Pet Sounds. I'm not crazy about it, the high points of Pet Sounds to me are I Just Wasn't Made For These Times and LGAFA.

Have you listened closely to the bass line? Sometimes I'm not in a GOK mood at all but if it's on the bass line hypnotizes me. There is something about it, it is just so perfect. And in the single version (mono) the way the strings blend in with the rest of the track - just incredible to hear.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #133 on: August 05, 2011, 07:28:11 PM »

*shakes head* this thread...

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Magic Transistor Radio
Smiley Smile Associate

Bill Cooper Mystery Babylon

View Profile
« Reply #134 on: August 06, 2011, 10:00:12 AM »

I Write the Songs was number 1? Really?

"Over the years, I've been accused of not supporting our new music from this era (67-73) and just wanting to play our hits. That's complete b.s......I was also, as the front man, the one promoting these songs onstage and have the scars to show for it."
Mike Love autobiography (pg 242-243)
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #135 on: November 19, 2011, 12:34:53 AM »

A companion topic, anyone?  Grin

Here are a few i don't quite get the love for.

The Smile version of Wind Chimes
The Night Was So Young
I Know There's An Answer
Big Sur (it's nice, but seems a little too saccharine for these non-cali ears)
She Says/Sherry/whatever, She Needs Me
Fun Fun Fun, apart from the fade

That's all i got so far
the night was so young...has a beautiful guitar riff Smiley
SloopJohnB
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #136 on: November 19, 2011, 12:43:05 AM »

Dennis' "Make it Good". This is the only one that comes to mind right now.

I don't know where, but their music sends me there
Pleasure Island!!!!!!! and a slice of cheese pizza.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #137 on: November 19, 2011, 01:07:16 AM »

1. Sloop John B (Pretty But Idk How It Became So Big...They Released This As A Single B4 WIBN...Smh)
2. Barbara Ann (Repetitive Nonsense)
3. Lady Lynda ( Over-Produced Trash...Al Jardine Sining About His Wife...Who The F*** Cares?)
4. Time To Get Alone (Never Understood Why So Many BB Fans Love This Song)
5. Good Timin (That Little Ding Sound When The Verses Start Makes Me Cringe,Yikes)
6. Cotton Fields (Country Musik At It's Worst...There's Nothing Beach Boys About This)
7. Friends (Waltz? Yikes)
8. Catch a Wave (What Do You People See In This? Really?)
9.  Disney Girls (Grandpa Music)
10. Dont Back Down (Corny)
11. Rock and Roll To The Rescue (Who Talked Them Into This Tune? Landy? Lol)
12. Somewhere Near Japan (Mike You're Killing Me!)
13. A Day in The Life Of a Tree (The Title...Thats It)
14. Tears In the Morning (Bruce Never Write Anything Like This Again Please)
15. Long Promised Road (WTF)

All These Songs Are Over-Rated & Horrible!(Except Sloop John B)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #138 on: November 19, 2011, 03:49:08 AM »

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #139 on: November 19, 2011, 03:57:41 AM »

Newguy's list reads like it could almost make a very decent mix CD but where's "Belles of Paris"?
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #140 on: November 19, 2011, 12:08:06 PM »

Oh hi, old thread o' mine! Safe to say, my initial post reads a little mental, apart from I Know There's An Answer -still my least favourite on Pet Sounds by a considerable margin.

But this

1. Sloop John B (Pretty But Idk How It Became So Big...They Released This As A Single B4 WIBN...Smh)
4. Time To Get Alone (Never Understood Why So Many BB Fans Love This Song)
6. Cotton Fields (Country Musik At It's Worst...There's Nothing Beach Boys About This)
7. Friends (Waltz? Yikes)
8. Catch a Wave (What Do You People See In This? Really?)
9.  Disney Girls (Grandpa Music)
10. Dont Back Down (Corny)
13. A Day in The Life Of a Tree (The Title...Thats It)
14. Tears In the Morning (Bruce Never Write Anything Like This Again Please)
15. Long Promised Road (WTF)

is true insanity.  LOL

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #141 on: November 19, 2011, 01:38:12 PM »

The best is the the WTF @ "Long Promised Road". Okay, you don't like waltzes, whatever, but I'm truly baffled by this one.

Also, wat @ "A Day In The Life Of A Tree" description, albeit less baffling than "Long Promised Road".

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #142 on: November 19, 2011, 02:08:58 PM »

Just My Personal Taste. Name 3 Songs On My List That You Guys Dont Think Belongs There.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #143 on: November 19, 2011, 02:30:34 PM »

Just My Personal Taste. Name 3 Songs On My List That You Guys Dont Think Belongs There.

Several are blasphemous, most are questionable.

By the way, the "who the f*** cares?" comment about Al writing about his wife made me giggle, too. "You Still Believe In Me", Brian expressing himself in song about his wife, who the f*** cares?

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #144 on: November 19, 2011, 02:44:08 PM »

I think the 10 out of your 15 that hypehat brought up say it all. I might even throw in Good Timin' to make it an 11/15
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #145 on: November 19, 2011, 02:49:19 PM »

Several are blasphemous, most are questionable.

By the way, the "who the frig cares?" comment about Al writing about his wife made me giggle, too. "You Still Believe In Me", Brian expressing himself in song about his wife, who the frig cares?
It's Brian...He's A Bit More Important Than Al. Al Is My Least Fav. In The Group.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #146 on: November 19, 2011, 03:15:01 PM »

First of all - who else thinks "Lookin' At Tomorrow" probably plays as your soul ascends to heaven after death?

Anyway, as far as overrated goes, I'd nominate all the non-Brian songs on Sunflower. I don't connect with Dennis' songwriting during this period. Don't get me wrong, Pacific Ocean Blue is a great album. But "Got To Know the Woman"? You guys really think that song could compare to anything on Pet Sounds? I say that because a lot fans seem to think Sunflower is right up there with Pet Sounds.

I just don't hear it. "Got To Know the Woman" isn't a bad song, for example, but it sounds very contrived. It sounds like music for hairy chested males that don't like to button the top buttons on their shirts, and are a little too fond of gold necklaces. And what about lines like "now I'm but a child who art erect in humility" in "It's About Time"? I thought Jack Reiley wasn't hired yet! The song has some cool moments, but it comes off as white men imitating Sly Stone. Something about the song seems to be holding back. It's like Carl, can't you put a little more anguish in those yells?

"Forever" is great, I'll admit that. "Slip On Through" is good, too - but there's something about Mike Love's sleazy vocal basslines I find unsettling/unenjoyable.  It's like the Lovester is trying to seduce me, and I'm having none of that.

Also, letting Bruce have two songs is always a bad idea. Again - are there really people who think Bruce's limp machismo can rival anything on Pet Sounds? The songs have some nice moments, but the moods and themes overstay their welcomes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #147 on: November 19, 2011, 03:44:38 PM »

First of all - who else thinks "Lookin' At Tomorrow" probably plays as your soul ascends to heaven after death?

Anyway, as far as overrated goes, I'd nominate all the non-Brian songs on Sunflower. I don't connect with Dennis' songwriting during this period. Don't get me wrong, Pacific Ocean Blue is a great album. But "Got To Know the Woman"? You guys really think that song could compare to anything on Pet Sounds? I say that because a lot fans seem to think Sunflower is right up there with Pet Sounds.

I don't know if anyone has ever said "EVERYTHING ON SUNFLOWER IS TE HBEST AS GOOD AS TEH BEST SONG ON PET SOUNDS X 10". As it is, I love Sunflower and while it's impossible for me to pick solid favorites, I'd say it's about on par with Pet Sounds - maybe a bit below. So I love the album, but I'd never say "Got To Know The Woman" is the best track on there or one I'd throw out there as representative of why Sunflower is as good as Pet Sounds. One of the lesser tracks on the album, I'd say.

In other words, if you were trying to tell someone Pet Sounds was a brilliant, unparalleled album, would you point them in the direction of "Sloop John B" or "I'm Waiting For The Day" first off? Any album I love has that song or two that stand above the rest along with that song or two that, while great, might not be the absolute best work on the album.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #148 on: November 19, 2011, 03:48:31 PM »

I don't know if anyone has ever said "EVERYTHING ON SUNFLOWER IS TE HBEST AS GOOD AS TEH BEST SONG ON PET SOUNDS X 10". As it is, I love Sunflower and while it's impossible for me to pick solid favorites, I'd say it's about on par with Pet Sounds - maybe a bit below. So I love the album, but I'd never say "Got To Know The Woman" is the best track on there or one I'd throw out there as representative of why Sunflower is as good as Pet Sounds. One of the lesser tracks on the album, I'd say.

In other words, if you were trying to tell someone Pet Sounds was a brilliant, unparalleled album, would you point them in the direction of "Sloop John B" or "I'm Waiting For The Day" first off? Any album I love has that song or two that stand above the rest along with that song or two that, while great, might not be the absolute best work on the album.
i agree with the guy ur replying to. there's no song on sunflower that can compare to the weakest song on pet sounds. but i must admit sunflower is an amazing album. i think theres only one song on there that i don't like tooo much.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #149 on: November 19, 2011, 03:56:04 PM »

See guys?  Newguy is smart.  Sunflower is a good album, but I'd say it's overrated. "Our Sweet Love" is a great track, but it comes off as "God Only Knows-Lite" if you compare it to the Pet Sounds songs.

"Tears In The Morning" > Any song on Pet Sounds?
« Last Edit: November 19, 2011, 03:57:22 PM by Dada » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6] 7 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx