gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 06:38:53 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated BB's Related Songs  (Read 25964 times)
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #150 on: November 19, 2011, 04:00:31 PM »

i agree with the guy ur replying to. there's no song on sunflower that can compare to the weakest song on pet sounds. but i must admit sunflower is an amazing album. i think theres only one song on there that i don't like tooo much.

I guess that's fair. Still, like I was saying before, those few really special tracks on the album (those being, imo, "This Whole World", "Forever", and "All I Wanna Do"), are as good as or maybe better than most of Pet Sounds, to me.

I'll also say that Sunflower beats the pants off of Pet Sounds in the variation department, all while not sounding confused or disjointed the majority of the time.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #151 on: November 19, 2011, 04:01:37 PM »

See guys?  Newguy is smart.  Sunflower is a good album, but I'd say it's overrated. "Our Sweet Love" is a great track, but it comes off as "God Only Knows-Lite" if you compare it to the Pet Sounds songs.

"Tears In The Morning" > Any song on Pet Sounds?

Again, nobody is saying the lesser material on Sunflower is better than all of Pet Sounds. Saying "Sunflower is a better album than Pet Sounds" does not necessarily mean you think every single song on the album is better than every single song on Pet Sounds.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #152 on: November 19, 2011, 04:57:41 PM »

i agree with the guy ur replying to. there's no song on sunflower that can compare to the weakest song on pet sounds. but i must admit sunflower is an amazing album. i think theres only one song on there that i don't like tooo much.

I guess that's fair. Still, like I was saying before, those few really special tracks on the album (those being, imo, "This Whole World", "Forever", and "All I Wanna Do"), are as good as or maybe better than most of Pet Sounds, to me.

I'll also say that Sunflower beats the pants off of Pet Sounds in the variation department, all while not sounding confused or disjointed the majority of the time.
pet sounds is always gonna be compared 2 every album cuz it's so great. Sunflower haves sum amazing songs
(this whle world,deirdre,all i wanna do,forever,our sweet love,at my window,cool cool water)
the difference between sunflower and pet sounds..is sunflower has different moods throughout the album..and pet sounds has the same mood throughout the album...collectively it's one beautiful piece of art. and sunflower is kind of patchy lol
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #153 on: November 19, 2011, 04:59:23 PM »

See guys?  Newguy is smart.  Sunflower is a good album, but I'd say it's overrated. "Our Sweet Love" is a great track, but it comes off as "God Only Knows-Lite" if you compare it to the Pet Sounds songs.

thanks alot Smiley. i couldnt compare "our sweet love" to anything on pet sounds because every song on pet sounds is 10 times better than "our sweet love" ..don't get me wrong it's a good song but every song on pet sounds is great.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #154 on: November 19, 2011, 05:22:50 PM »

Newguy, I appreciate the fresh perspective.  While I don't always agree with you--and I think you hurt your credibility a lot by reveling in your inability to write coherently--I think your opinions are often more level-headed than those of some of the longtime posters.

One of the downsides to a fan message board is that it tends to attract people who think that virtually everything the group did is great.  Just check out the recent thread on supposedly "flawless" albums.  If there is such thing as a flawless album, 99.999% of music fans would say that no Beach Boys album other than Pet Sounds belongs on the list.  Don't let the other 0.001% (all of whom apparently are on this board) persuade you otherwise.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #155 on: November 19, 2011, 05:31:32 PM »

Newguy, I appreciate the fresh perspective.  While I don't always agree with you--and I think you hurt your credibility a lot by reveling in your inability to write coherently--I think your opinions are often more level-headed than those of some of the longtime posters.

One of the downsides to a fan message board is that it tends to attract people who think that virtually everything the group did is great.  Just check out the recent thread on supposedly "flawless" albums.  If there is such thing as a flawless album, 99.999% of music fans would say that no Beach Boys album other than Pet Sounds belongs on the list.  Don't let the other 0.001% (all of whom apparently are on this board) persuade you otherwise.
thanks Smiley i'm used to writing like my peers and this is a new crowd that i'm barely a part of.
Yes i understand what you're saying, I've seen some of them say that surf's up and holland are flawless. It shocks me and they try 2 make it seem like pet sounds is'nt as good as everyone makes it seems. It's almost impossible to name one thing wrong with that album. One of my personal favorites is wild honey but i'm not going to go around giving it extra praise and saying that it's better than pet sounds or smile and boost it up 2 be something that its not.
Some try 2 squeeze a million dollars out a penny, i'm beach boys fan 2 but i like being realistic as well.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #156 on: November 19, 2011, 05:43:08 PM »

If there is such thing as a flawless album, 99.999% of music fans would say that no Beach Boys album other than Pet Sounds belongs on the list.  Don't let the other 0.001% (all of whom apparently are on this board) persuade you otherwise.

The majority is always right.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Chocolate Shake Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #157 on: November 19, 2011, 05:51:31 PM »

First of all - who else thinks "Lookin' At Tomorrow" probably plays as your soul ascends to heaven after death?

I guess a song that has no life in it whatsoever would be appropriate for that.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #158 on: November 20, 2011, 02:48:26 AM »

Sunflower is hardly overrated by anyone. If anything it's still frustratingly underappreciated by both the general public and rock critics alike, the latter of which still seem to concentrate on Pet Sounds and Smile almost exclusively when it comes to the "genius of BW" and the BB as a group. Personally I could do without "Got to Know the Woman", "It's About Time" and "Tears in the Morning" but on the other hand I don't even think of these songs as downright bad, they're just not up to the high standards of "This Whole World" or "Cool Cool Water", that's all.

While Sunflower as a whole may not be quite as good as Pet Sounds personally I probably enjoy listening to it just as much.
Jeff
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #159 on: November 20, 2011, 03:02:29 AM »

Newguy, I appreciate the fresh perspective.  While I don't always agree with you--and I think you hurt your credibility a lot by reveling in your inability to write coherently--I think your opinions are often more level-headed than those of some of the longtime posters.

One of the downsides to a fan message board is that it tends to attract people who think that virtually everything the group did is great.  Just check out the recent thread on supposedly "flawless" albums.  If there is such thing as a flawless album, 99.999% of music fans would say that no Beach Boys album other than Pet Sounds belongs on the list.  Don't let the other 0.001% (all of whom apparently are on this board) persuade you otherwise.
thanks Smiley i'm used to writing like my peers and this is a new crowd that i'm barely a part of.
Yes i understand what you're saying, I've seen some of them say that surf's up and holland are flawless. It shocks me and they try 2 make it seem like pet sounds is'nt as good as everyone makes it seems. It's almost impossible to name one thing wrong with that album. One of my personal favorites is wild honey but i'm not going to go around giving it extra praise and saying that it's better than pet sounds or smile and boost it up 2 be something that its not.
Some try 2 squeeze a million dollars out a penny, i'm beach boys fan 2 but i like being realistic as well.

Yep.  Reality is good.  And Pet Sounds ... I'm not a religious guy, but if I were, I would swear that Brian was touching the hand of God when he made that.  Listening to Pet Sounds after just about anything else is like switching from black-and-white to color.
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #160 on: November 20, 2011, 03:11:38 AM »

Yep.  Reality is good.  And Pet Sounds ... I'm not a religious guy, but if I were, I would swear that Brian was touching the hand of God when he made that.  Listening to Pet Sounds after just about anything else is like switching from black-and-white to color.
Couldn't have said it any better than that. Amen. Grin
Ok what are your personal top 3 favorite bb albums?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #161 on: May 08, 2012, 09:35:42 PM »

Firstly, I like more or less all of the The BBs songs but there are some I rarely care about:            
Melt Away - it is one beautiful piece of music yet it has imo one of the worst vocal harmonies. Seems to me that Love and Mercy is done more skilfully and than the former. So I rank L&M higher than MA. I mention it because comparison of these 2 was discussed in many message boards including this.

The Night Was So Young - the least favorite Love You track. Roughly speaking, I don't like Carl's voice (esp. in the chorus), annoying guitar twangs, etc. Harmonies are the only embellishment in this almost unlistenable tune.

Let's Go Away For Awhile - not so good instrumental. It's too slow, I just can't wait for the next track i.e. SJB that is imo the top song of PS.

Don't Talk - splendid singing by Brian! Unfortunately, this is not enough for the song to be one of my favorites.

Girls on the Beach - beautiful singing but images are bad. Hate it when various girls in bikinis come to mind while listening this song. Thanks to American Band doc-ry for such association;)  
WTF  Angry to each it's own..
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #162 on: May 08, 2012, 09:38:29 PM »

Girls on the Beach - beautiful singing but images are bad. Hate it when various girls in bikinis come to mind while listening this song. 

Yeah, perish the thought of beautiful women being forced into the mind while listening to a wonderful piece of music. Terrible, terrible thing.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #163 on: May 08, 2012, 10:06:37 PM »

Good Timin' - as in TNWSY, don't like Carl's vocals, to say nothing of melody and harmonies that are uninteresting to me.

Carl's falsetto on that one just blows my fucking mind every time I listen to it, particularly in the first chorus that isn't the opening one. Without fail, every listen, there are either goosebumps, I get slightly choked up, or I get that "rush" that comes with listening to something really great and fitting for that particular time, if not all three. Gosh Darn, MU'FUCKA.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #164 on: May 09, 2012, 12:25:44 AM »

I don't think runners was trying to insult you, and Ian just likes to be a dick on this board.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #165 on: May 09, 2012, 01:28:24 AM »

The Night Was So Young - the least favorite Love You track. Roughly speaking, I don't like Carl's voice (esp. in the chorus), annoying guitar twangs, etc. Harmonies are the only embellishment in this almost unlistenable tune.

But the arrangement of this is so good. That moog has never been better used than in these songs and TNWSY is not an exception! Carl was trying to sound like Dennis I think. Because for a long time I thought it was Dennis singing it, and then it sounded fine. The lyrics are very typical Brian of this period but it without doubt a very well made song surely?
Newguy562
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #166 on: May 09, 2012, 01:37:14 AM »

But the arrangement of this is so good. That moog has never been better used than in these songs and TNWSY is not an exception! Carl was trying to sound like Dennis I think. Because for a long time I thought it was Dennis singing it, and then it sounded fine. The lyrics are very typical Brian of this period but it without doubt a very well made song surely?
that's the best post pet sounds song they did.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #167 on: May 09, 2012, 01:41:08 AM »

you know what I don't like about you? you state your opinions as fact.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #168 on: May 09, 2012, 01:49:05 AM »

I respect each person's opinion even the one that isn't similar to mine but why to call me names? I only expressed my thoughts on the topic. Is it a sin?
I honestly tried to like Good Timin' (and those other songs) if I may say that. But they are still uninteresting to me. You know, when I started to get into The Beach Boys I didn't like most of their iconic songs, e.g. Surfer Girl, God Only Knows, Don't Worry Baby. I was slightly sad to say the least but later, after like 30-50 times of listen I began to appreciate them. Now said songs are among my favorites. So the time will show.

Naw, sryz ;( was expressing awe at Carl's vocal. No insults ^_^

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #169 on: May 09, 2012, 01:53:31 AM »

For me it's ("Slip On Through") also not a good start to Sunflower - the song's opening is just abrupt and dull.  

Agree. I always thought an opening of "Add Some Music To Your Day", "Got To Know The Woman", and "Slip On Through" was a better opening sequence. But, I guess that's for another thread.

Is anybody sitting in the house with three feet of snow outside? And it still coming down! Shocked

Slip On Through is an absolutely barn-storming track, one of the greatest, most energetic album openers of all time, and one of their most UNDER-rated songs!

See, the problem with a thread like this is: over-rated by whom? If you mean over-rated by the public in general than clearly not, as the vast majority of the tracks that've been mentioned so far date from 1966 onwards and therefore it's material that the casual music fan is utterly unaware of, so how can it be over-rated? If however you mean over-rated by people on this board, well, i don't really know what anyone else's specific tastes are here beside my own, so how do i know who rates what how, without having to trawl through old threads and album reviews?
So I'd now say Slip On Through is definately under-rated because i think it's a masterpiece and yet here's diehard BB fans slagging it off. Love You i think is over-praised on this board, however it's still under-rated in general as most casual music fans have never even heard of it.
« Last Edit: May 09, 2012, 02:02:43 AM by Disney Boy (1985) » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #170 on: May 09, 2012, 02:45:57 AM »

Why can't a guy write a nice song about appreciating root beer? Root beer kicks ass. People write songs about consuming alcohol/weed/drugs/whatever and it's considered poetic or clever. Why? I'd like to see these same "poetic" people write a decent song about root beer, damn it.

Tell me it's okay.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #171 on: May 09, 2012, 04:51:14 AM »

Why can't a guy write a nice song about appreciating root beer? Root beer kicks ass. People write songs about consuming alcohol/weed/drugs/whatever and it's considered poetic or clever. Why? I'd like to see these same "poetic" people write a decent song about root beer, damn it.

Well said!

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #172 on: May 09, 2012, 06:35:21 AM »

I'm sure fans on fan sites for other bands don't spend there entire time talking about what they don't like about the bands in question... How about we start a thread: 'Why the Beach Boys are the greatest band of all-time and one of the most inventive, imaginative and exciting mainstream bands of all time'?
I. Spaceman
Smiley Smile Associate

Revolution Never Again

View Profile
« Reply #173 on: May 09, 2012, 08:37:49 AM »

I don't think runners was trying to insult you, and Ian just likes to be a dick on this board.

I wasn't being a dick, man. And even if I did enjoy being one, people like you would be the reason.

Nobody gives a sh*t about the Record Room
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #174 on: May 09, 2012, 09:52:29 AM »

I'm sure fans on fan sites for other bands don't spend there entire time talking about what they don't like about the bands in question... How about we start a thread: 'Why the Beach Boys are the greatest band of all-time and one of the most inventive, imaginative and exciting mainstream bands of all time'?

Fans of other groups are very quick to glorify ANYTHING that group ever did. That's why they hail them as 'Gods' of rock, which is imo total bullsh*t.

This board is very down to earth, it seems most people here are very open to making jokes and criticising this group. Tearing it apart and disecting the groups history and their individual personalities (which from the bands persepctive must be quite interesting/scary).

I think the atmosphere of this board is superb and dynamic, people have lots of different opinions on this very creative group which is as brilliant musically as it is brilliantly flawed by the people in it. Great show to watch.
gfx
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx