gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680821 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 01:58:27 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Overrated BB's Related Songs  (Read 26422 times)
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 10, 2010, 04:37:47 AM »

A companion topic, anyone?  Grin

Here are a few i don't quite get the love for.

The Smile version of Wind Chimes
The Night Was So Young
I Know There's An Answer
Big Sur (it's nice, but seems a little too saccharine for these non-cali ears)
She Says/Sherry/whatever, She Needs Me
Fun Fun Fun, apart from the fade

That's all i got so far

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
Nicko
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2010, 05:24:53 AM »

Vegetables and Do You Like Worms - Stoner BS

Good Timin' - Nice harmonies but the lyrics are so vague as to be meaningless

I Wanna Pick You Up - Simply dreadful vocally, lyrically and musically

Little Bird - Dennis went on to write much, much better songs

It's OK - Not bad but sounds more dated than the car songs the band recorded more than a decade earlier

Mount Vernon - It has some nice musical pieces but like most spoken word things, I very rarely find myself listening to it

In My Car - Some critics have called this the best song on SC but the lyrics are awful and the lead vocals weak

Doubtless there are more...
SG7
« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2010, 05:46:34 AM »

Let the wind blow

grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2010, 06:03:00 AM »

Help Me Rhonda
Keep an Eye on Summer
Good Vibes (especially the last half minute)
Wonderful (any version)
Add Some Music
Cali Girls (I kinda like the Hawaii version)

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
Runaways
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2010, 06:07:03 AM »

help me rhonda just cause it was one of their #1's. 

MBE
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:21 AM »

I think Love You is very overrated. Outside of a handful of tracks I can't get into it.
I like Today, Pet Sounds, Wild Honey, and Sunflower better then the Smile stuff even though I do love the Smile material. I guess it's fair to say that BWPS is overrated though I do basically like it.
Kokomo is overrated by some because it was a hit.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2010, 06:38:39 AM »

So far, the only one I agree with is "In My Car". Grin But that's OK; that's what makes the thread interesting!

1. "Wild Honey" - it's slightly too slow, the theramin(?) is grating, and it's possibly the only Carl lead vocal that I don't like - too forced; the 70's live version was an improvement, though.

2. "Let's Go Away For Awhile" - kinda boring (as I run for cover); Brian called it his "most satisfying piece of music" (huh?); would've benefitted from lyrics, in my early less-patient listenings of Pet Sounds I used to skip over this track to get to "Sloop".

3. "Take A Load Off Your Feet" - the vocals drive me nuts; Al was trying to be too cool; I know this song has some fans; it usually tops my poll of least favorite Beach Boys' songs.

4. "Meant For You" - What is so great about this song? It's too short, wimpy, and it should've CLOSED the album, not opened it!

5. "Male Ego" -  "shouty" Brian vocal, embarrassing lyrics, stiff production, one of those Landy-era rockers that were beneath what Brian used to do.
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2010, 06:44:30 AM »

Most of Dennis's slow romantic ballads. I don't think they're bad or cheesy or anything, they just rarely give me that same special feeling I get when I listen to most Beach Boys songs. Even the songs that everyone thinks are lame (Mike's solo albums, Brian's Landy stuff, etc) have this wonderful magic to them and are often extremely catchy. I have Male Ego stuck in my head now just from reading SJS's post.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
hypehat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2010, 06:53:01 AM »

2. "Let's Go Away For Awhile" - kinda boring (as I run for cover); Brian called it his "most satisfying piece of music" (huh?); would've benefitted from lyrics, in my early less-patient listenings of Pet Sounds I used to skip over this track to get to "Sloop".

I used to /still occassionally do that too. The end's kind of nice, those slide guitar breaks are gorgeous, wouldn't you say?

All roads lead to Kokomo. Exhaustive research in time travel has conclusively proven that there is no alternate universe WITHOUT Kokomo. It would've happened regardless.
What is this "life" thing you speak of ?

Quote from: Al Jardine
Syncopate it? In front of all these people?!
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #9 on: February 10, 2010, 07:38:26 AM »

I used to /still occassionally do that too. The end's kind of nice, those slide guitar breaks are gorgeous, wouldn't you say?

Now I did the opposite and skipped Sloop John B. to get to GOK. In fact I still keep SJB off of my Pet Sounds play list and stick it in as an extra track after Summer Days.

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
B-Rex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2010, 07:54:00 AM »

I agree with Sheriff on "Meant for You" being a closer.  "Lonely Days" would have been another good snippet closer.

1. Roller Skating Child--makes me want to hurl
2. Honkin' Down the Highway--embarrassing
3. A Day in the Life of a Tree--dreadful
4. Solar System--childish, and not in a good way
5. Disney Girls--way out of place
6. Amusement Parks USA--has its moments but the time for this music had passed
7. I Wanna Pick You Up--disturbing
8. Hey Little Tomboy--equally disturbing
9. Johnny Carson--what the?
10. Tears in the Morning--annoying vocals

I hit Love You pretty hard.  Outside of a few tracks, it just plain stinks!

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2010, 08:12:25 AM »

Wow, I've seen a lot of my favorite Beach Boys songs listed here! 3D That's ok though.

Songs I don't really care for....
1. All Summer Long
2. You're So Good To Me
3. Be True To Your School
4. Hang On To Your Ego

On most days, I'd consider a good chunk of SMiLE to be overrated by members of this board. Just personal preferences.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2010, 08:21:28 AM »

8. Hey Little Tomboy--equally disturbing

I'm a fan of MIU, but....

Of all the songs in the can that they could've chosen - OF ALL THE SONGS! - they picked "Hey Little Tomboy. Huh Shocked
Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #13 on: February 10, 2010, 09:07:24 AM »

I love most of Dennis's songs, but to me "Slip on Through" sounds more like a Partridge Family song that's tailor-made for David Cassidy. Dennis should have kept the "My love is growing..." bridge, trashed the rest, and started a new song.  For me it's also not a good start to Sunflower - the song's opening is just abrupt and dull.  I'd replace it with "Break Away."

And while I'm rearranging Sunflower, I'd dump "Tears in the Morning" (my all-time unfavorite BB's song) and replace it with "Lady (Fallin' in Love)"
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #14 on: February 10, 2010, 09:59:31 AM »

I'm agreeing with some of the chocies here but I love "Slip on Through," "All Summer Long" the Smile and Love You stuff. My overrated choices are about half of the Holland album (Only with Love being a good song but not a good performance in my book, Carnegie Hall and Dennis' version is much better), "Tears in the Morning," the majority of basically everything after Dennis died.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #15 on: February 10, 2010, 10:07:53 AM »

For me it's ("Slip On Through") also not a good start to Sunflower - the song's opening is just abrupt and dull. 

Agree. I always thought an opening of "Add Some Music To Your Day", "Got To Know The Woman", and "Slip On Through" was a better opening sequence. But, I guess that's for another thread.

Is anybody sitting in the house with three feet of snow outside? And it still coming down! Shocked
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #16 on: February 10, 2010, 10:08:22 AM »

Not to appear contradictory I think "Funky Pretty" is brilliant, underrated. And so does Brian (stating as much in the Classics Selected By liners "Mount Vernon and Funky Pretty should be on here")

I had the day off of work today because the snow is so bad...

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 10, 2010, 10:21:12 AM »

If I remember correctly, "Sail On Sailor" is also on that compilation selected by Brian, which he apparently later stated in concert that he doesn't like that song at all.  Shocked
Jason
« Reply #18 on: February 10, 2010, 10:40:02 AM »

Brian - This is the one song that we do that I actually don't like. We're doing, what, like 35 songs tonight? And this is the only one I don't like. Should we play it?
Audience - (half-heartedly) Yes.
Brian - Ok, we'll play it.

(After the song)

Brian - See, the lyrics are just a bunch of bullshit! The melody and the music is good but the lyrics are just real negative.
Foskett - Change 'em!
Brian - I will!

I was at the show where this took place.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2010, 10:41:07 AM »

Please don't crucify me but I do find (whisper)Pet Sounds to be a tad overrated.  Don't get me wrong it's fantastic and I've bought it 3 times in different versions but it gets soooooo much praise (particularly from otherwise non BB fans)  that it tends to diminish their other accomplishments to a degree.  I mean, I can guarantee about 50% of causal BBs fans and non fans would sum up their entire output as "silly surf songs which were good fun for their time, then one masterpiece LP and then a load of mediocre crap 'cos the main guy went loco".  Does "PS" really overshadow "Today!!" that much?  Is it much better than "Sunflower"?  I personally don't think so.  I hope nobody thinks I'm pissing on hallowed ground here .  "Sloop John B" and "Wouldn't it be Nice" are the 2 songs that got me hooked on the Beach Boys and off that Nu - Metal crap I was listening to.  I would just like to see snobby music critics mention "Friends" , Sunflower" and the like in the same breath as they do PS.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
BillA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2010, 10:59:06 AM »

When I hear the phrase "overrated Beach Boys' related songs" the first word that pops into my head is "Kokomo".

I would also add "Rock and Roll Music" and "Getcha Back" since they were top 40 hits that I do not believe deserved it.  There were songs on both albums that would have been better initial releases ("It's OK", "Just Once in My Life",  "It's Gettin' Late", "Where I Belong").

In 1974 Mike Love's concept album Endless Summer ignited a second generation of Beach Boys fans and stirred a comeback that rocked the music world.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2010, 11:06:44 AM »

How that awful "Rock and Roll Music" cover ever made U.S top ten I'll never know.

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 10, 2010, 12:49:25 PM »

Brian - See, the lyrics are just a bunch of bullmerda! The melody and the music is good but the lyrics are just real negative.
Foskett - Change 'em!
Brian - I will!

And then Brian called Van and wrote "Live Let Live"?
Paulos
« Reply #23 on: February 10, 2010, 12:54:12 PM »

Most of Wild Honey and Holland.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 10, 2010, 01:00:15 PM »

I Wanna Pick You Up, Hey Little Tomboy, Love Is A Woman, most of Still Cruisin' and SIP (though that's a given!), most of KTSA, half of MIU, the early surf instrumentals, Battle Hymn, Skatetown USA/California Beach...

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5 6 ... 8 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx