gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 04:56:28 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Carl & The Passions "So Tough" / Pet Sounds  (Read 37520 times)
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: February 11, 2010, 06:27:25 AM »

It's an album that I really enjoy listening to in the car, for what reason I'm not quite sure.
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 11, 2010, 06:48:22 AM »

Another reason to own the vinyl original is this two-fer has the best vinyl mastering of Pet Sounds, better than the hastily-pressed Capitol original, made while the master tape was still fairly young.  (And they still had it!)  As we know the post-2000 vinyls all come from digital copies of one sort or another.  There is something to be said for some of these original (or somewhat original in this case) pressings, which (properly cared for) will always sound closest to what the brand-new masters sounded like.   A true vinylphile can tell when a supposedly "audiophile" LP reissue was made from a digital safety, i.e., the recent Rolling Stones vinyl reissues.

My idea. I have the Pet Sounds version that came with CATP, but without CATP, if you catch my drift. It was released as a single LP, with brown in stead of the familiar green, and capitals in stead of Cooper Black. The sound is quite brilliant, pure punchy mono. I am happy that I played it not that often.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
DefMode66
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: February 14, 2010, 09:58:16 AM »

Carl and the Passions So Tough was the 2nd album of a two album release of Pet Sounds in '72 and consists of eight tracks. Gone is Bruce Johnston and joined are Ricky Fatarr and Blondie Chaplin. Still So Tough managed to hit #50 in the US and #25 in the UK.

You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone" (Brian Wilson/Jack Rieley) – 3:27
Features Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Here She Comes" (Ricky Fataar/Blondie Chaplin) – 5:10
Features Ricky Fataar and Blondie Chaplin on lead vocals
"He Come Down" (Brian Wilson/Al Jardine/Mike Love) – 4:41
Features Mike Love, Blondie Chaplin, Al Jardine, and Carl Wilson on lead vocals
"Marcella" (Brian Wilson/Tandyn Almer/Jack Rieley) – 3:54
Features Carl Wilson and Mike Love on lead vocals
"Hold On Dear Brother" (Ricky Fataar/Blondie Chaplin) – 4:43
Features Blondie Chaplin on lead vocals
"Make It Good" (Dennis Wilson/Daryl Dragon) – 2:36
Features Dennis Wilson on lead vocals
"All This Is That" (Alan Jardine/Carl Wilson/Mike Love) – 4:00
Features Carl Wilson, Alan Jardine and Mike Love on lead vocals
"Cuddle Up" (Dennis Wilson/Daryl Dragon) – 5:30
Features Dennis Wilson on lead vocals

Singles
"You Need a Mess of Help to Stand Alone" b/w "Cuddle Up" (Brother 1091), 15 May 1972
"Marcella" b/w "Hold On Dear Brother" (Brother 1101), 26 June 1972) US #110
Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" is now paired on CD with Holland.

Carl and the Passions – "So Tough" (Brother/Reprise 2MS 2083) hit #50 in the US during a 20 week chart stay. It reached #25 in the UK.

Jason
« Reply #28 on: February 14, 2010, 12:37:51 PM »

Well, Bruce isn't in the band picture on the LP, but he's definitely on there. He was a member of the band until April 1972, before which all of the recording had been done.
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 15, 2010, 05:49:13 PM »

Hearing "Here She Comes" and the unreleased "Hard Time", I'm REALLY starting to wish they kept Blondie and Rikki around longer.  Those are, in my eyes, the best and most hit-worthy songs to come out of the 'Beach Flame' period.

I never thought much of Rikki before learning of his participation in the Beach Boys - he was just "that guy that played Stig in the Rutles."  But he definitely seems to have musical merit.
Jason
« Reply #30 on: February 15, 2010, 07:03:26 PM »

Hard Times is a great, great track. Only problem, of course, was that, essentially, it was recorded WAY late in the Blondie/Ricky tenure in 1973, long after Holland had come out, so it was pretty much destined to remain unreleased unless they remained in the band longer. Apparently, two versions exist - the one that circulates is a Beach Boys version with Dennis, Carl, and Al performing keys and guitars, with Blondie on lead vocal and guitar (also possibly bass) and Ricky on drums. There's also a version supposedly dating from sometime in 1974 that was just a Blondie/Ricky performance with the two of them splitting instrumental duties. This hasn't gone around to the best of my knowledge. It would certainly be fun to hear.
smile-holland
Smiley Smile Associate

The dream of Amsterdamee...

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 16, 2010, 12:08:40 AM »

... and this song (Hard Times) was also covered by Rare Bird on their 1973 album "Somebody's Watching". A slower version than the Beach Boys/ Fataar-Chaplin version.

Rule of thumb, think BEFORE you post. And THINK how it may affect someone else's feelings.

Check out the Beach Boys Starline website, the place for pictures of many countries Beach Boys releases on 45.

Listening to you I get the music; Gazing at you I get the heat; Following you I climb the mountain; I get excitement at your feet
Right behind you I see the millions; On you I see the glory; From you I get opinions; From you I get the story
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: February 16, 2010, 12:18:22 AM »

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but: I always found Blondie and Rikki 'alien' to the spirit of the Beach Boys. They are good musicians in their own right, for sure; but in the BBs I find them sounding somewhat anonymous.

Ganz Allein
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 16, 2010, 04:59:52 AM »

Sorry, I don't mean to offend, but: I always found Blondie and Rikki 'alien' to the spirit of the Beach Boys. They are good musicians in their own right, for sure; but in the BBs I find them sounding somewhat anonymous.

I agree.  IMHO "Here She Comes" and "Hold On Dear Brother" don't sound like Beach Boys songs, and they interrupt the flow of CATP with their blandness.  On the other hand, "Leaving This Town" seems to fit on "Holland" because it's a little more interesting melody/chord-wise (although it's somewhat of an Elton John imitation - check out the chord progression and vocal phrasing on the "night is coming round" part).
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 05:04:32 AM by Ganz Allein » Logged
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 16, 2010, 05:16:16 AM »

I agree.  IMHO "Here She Comes" and "Hold On Dear Brother" don't sound like Beach Boys songs, and they interrupt the flow of CATP with their blandness.  On the other hand, "Leaving This Town" seems to fit on "Holland" because it's a little more interesting melody/chord-wise (although it's somewhat of an Elton John imitation - check out the chord progression and vocal phrasing on the "night is coming round" part).

Good call. I find these songs a bit 'plodding', compared to the usual vivid Beach Boys style. Even the sad and wistful songs of the BBs 'sparkle' in their own way (see much of Pet Sounds, for instance); and the Fataar/Chaplin songs don't.

But others may see it differently.

The Elton John comparison is well-chosen.

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 16, 2010, 10:38:57 AM »

They seemed to me be almost a "group within a group".  They would both sing and play quite prominently on the others guys songs but for their own recordings there seemed to be only a bit of Carl singing here and there with the others nowhere in sight.

*Edit*  Mike's bass vocals on the "Leaving This town" fade out
« Last Edit: February 16, 2010, 11:36:40 AM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
buddhahat
Smiley Smile Associate

Hi, my name's Doug. Would you like to dance?

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 16, 2010, 10:42:57 AM »

I Love Here She Comes - I was just listening today and was thinking how funky it sounds - great drums on that one!

Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes, Bedroom Tapes ......
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 16, 2010, 11:31:07 AM »

I don't mind Hold On Dear Brother at all, the vocals are great 'I want your lo-o-o-ove...'

Aside from their writing ability, I love their vocal contributions anyway.

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 17, 2010, 01:43:23 PM »

Re Bruce on CATP, it's been established his only appearance is as background vocalist on "Marcella."

Re Blondie and Ricky, I think Carl's idea was to get two really super musicians in the lineup.  And in that regard, they really gave the early '70s band a kick in the ass, though it did wind up marginalizing the other members to varying degrees.  I agree that the originals didn't quite fit.  Ricky did a good job sticking to Dennis' basic style in the studio, and while I'm a big fan of that approach, it might not have been the best thing for those songs.  My biggest problem with a lot of HOLLAND is how dull the rhythm section is.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: February 17, 2010, 02:02:59 PM »

I agree, Adam! And it makes me wonder about the recording process for both CATP and HOLLAND. As far as how developed the songs were when basic tracks were laid down. To my ears, The drums on CATP (especially MARCELLA) sound like they were laid down very early in the process, without much urgency and when Ricky had only a faint idea of what the songs were really all about. Then the other guys come in and pile on all the other insturments, each guy having a better idea of how the songs should sound/feel and giving it a little more, but the dead/plodding/weak drums are still buried under there somewhere and the tracks just don't and won't ever kick! This is a typical problem actually with recording/conceiving songs from the bottom up. However with Hold On Dear Brother and Here She Comes, Blondie and Ricky obviously knew these songs inside and out, therefore the drums kick ass!
« Last Edit: February 17, 2010, 02:04:50 PM by Erik H » Logged
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 18, 2010, 12:28:35 PM »

I agree, and the funny thing is, I'm a big fan of Dennis' "stoopid" studio drumming.  I think there's a difference in approach.  Dennis' pocket is so deep that he can play really simply but it establishes a huge groove that you can layer anything over.  Ricky can do the same thing and it just sounds sterile...I think it may just be the difference between a really good drummer laying down a simple beat and sounding bored and a technically mediocre drummer who's really good on a certain type of feel.  When I want the Dennis sound on my own recordings, I play the drums myself -- I can't find anybody else who can play like that. I think it's hard for someone as good as Ricky Fataar to play a straight 4/4 on a song he doesn't know very well and put that much into it. 

The one exception is "Sail On Sailor".  The groove on that is a monster.
Pinder's Gone To Kokomo And Back Again
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: February 18, 2010, 01:06:48 PM »

That's absolutely right on! All the songs that I know Dennis is playing drums on, just have such feel and groove. And though he usually played simply, (not easy to do, btw) some of his parts are really awesome. I love what he does on Back Home. His fills and build-ups are quite awesome. His intro to In The Still Of The Night is a monster, and check out his pick-ups and transitions on A Casual Look! Pretty cool stuff. Most people would swear it must be Hal Blaine! Him and Ricky playing in unison on It's Ok, with Dennis dropping the beat on the floor tom every other measure while Ricky plays straight, is killer!

I could go on and on!
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: February 20, 2010, 02:47:44 AM »

That's absolutely right on! All the songs that I know Dennis is playing drums on, just have such feel and groove. And though he usually played simply, (not easy to do, btw) some of his parts are really awesome. I love what he does on Back Home. His fills and build-ups are quite awesome. His intro to In The Still Of The Night is a monster, and check out his pick-ups and transitions on A Casual Look! Pretty cool stuff. Most people would swear it must be Hal Blaine! Him and Ricky playing in unison on It's Ok, with Dennis dropping the beat on the floor tom every other measure while Ricky plays straight, is killer!

I could go on and on!

I agree. Dennis drummed deceptively simple. I like to compare it to the way Keith Richards plays rhythm guitar. Sounds easy, until you try...

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: February 20, 2010, 03:53:35 AM »

Talking about DW's drumming, I know the BB's 1981 Long Beach concert is not among most fans' favorites, but I have to say I've always loved the high-energy drumming on "School Days", which saved an otherwise admittedly luckluster group performance:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gaJJRTbxvOg
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 20, 2010, 07:30:16 AM »

I always thought Here She Comes sounds like something The Band would have done at that time.

The drums are mixed a bit too prominent for my taste, but they are good drums.

That's caused it was written/produced/probably mixed...by a drummer!  Wink
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #45 on: February 20, 2010, 08:12:56 AM »

Like Adam, I'm also very intrigued by the keyboard work on "So Tough" (and "Holland" as well)...but until someone listens to the session tapes and tells us, all we can do is guess, right?  We all know AFM contracts aren't definitive, but they can at least give us an idea of who was present at a given session.  Unfortunately, the ones for "Surf's Up" and "Holland" are obviously "forged" (meaning, they were hastily written up at a later date simply so some paperwork could be sumbitted), however the ones for the "So Tough" sessions seem to be more "authentic" (meaning, reliable to historians such as Adam, AGD, Ian, and myself).  So, here are the personel on the AFMs for each of this album's songs:

BEATRICE FROM BALTIMORE (later retitled YOU NEED A MESS OF HELP TO STAND ALONE)
Tandyn Almer
Doug Dillard (banjo player)
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Gordon Marron (fiddle player & inventor of the ring modulator)
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson

HERE SHE COME
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Carl Wilson

HE COME DOWN
Brian Wilson
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Carl Wilson

MARCELLA
Tandyn Almer
Ricky Fataar
Bruce Johnston
Tony Martin, Jr. (steel guitar player)
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson

HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER
Orville "Red" Rhodes (steel guitar player)
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Carl Wilson

WHAT I FEEL (later retitled MAKE IT GOOD)
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
- plus a later orchestral overdub at Sound City in Sepulveda, led by Darryl Dragon and including Stephens La Fever on electric bass, Frank Capp on tympani, and a host of string players...followed by a later horn overdub session at Sunset Sound

ALL THIS IS THAT
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Carl Wilson

CUDDLE UP
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
- plus a later orchestral overdub at Sound City in Sepulveda, led by Darryl Dragon and including Stephens La Fever on electric bass, Frank Capp on tympani, and a host of string players

NOTE:  according to the contracts, HERE SHE COMES and HE COME DOWN were cut at the same session, as was the case with HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER and ALL THIS IS THAT, but I left Brian Wilson's name off the above credits for HERE SHE COMES and left Red Rhodes' name off the credits for ALL THIS IS THAT, as there is no aural evidence of them on those specific songs.  I also didn't bother naming all the string & horn players, but I certainly COULD if someone really wanted me to...Smiley
The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #46 on: February 20, 2010, 01:07:50 PM »

I always thought Here She Comes sounds like something The Band would have done at that time.

The drums are mixed a bit too prominent for my taste, but they are good drums.

That's caused it was written/produced/probably mixed...by a drummer!  Wink

In my experience...don't let drummers touch the mixing process!  Cheesy
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: February 20, 2010, 05:37:39 PM »

Like Adam, I'm also very intrigued by the keyboard work on "So Tough" (and "Holland" as well)...but until someone listens to the session tapes and tells us, all we can do is guess, right?  We all know AFM contracts aren't definitive, but they can at least give us an idea of who was present at a given session.  Unfortunately, the ones for "Surf's Up" and "Holland" are obviously "forged" (meaning, they were hastily written up at a later date simply so some paperwork could be sumbitted), however the ones for the "So Tough" sessions seem to be more "authentic" (meaning, reliable to historians such as Adam, AGD, Ian, and myself).  So, here are the personel on the AFMs for each of this album's songs:

BEATRICE FROM BALTIMORE (later retitled YOU NEED A MESS OF HELP TO STAND ALONE)
Tandyn Almer
Doug Dillard (banjo player)
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Gordon Marron (fiddle player & inventor of the ring modulator)
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson

HERE SHE COME
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Carl Wilson

HE COME DOWN
Brian Wilson
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Billy Hinsche
Carl Wilson

MARCELLA
Tandyn Almer
Ricky Fataar
Bruce Johnston
Tony Martin, Jr. (steel guitar player)
Brian Wilson
Carl Wilson

HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER
Orville "Red" Rhodes (steel guitar player)
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Carl Wilson

WHAT I FEEL (later retitled MAKE IT GOOD)
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
- plus a later orchestral overdub at Sound City in Sepulveda, led by Darryl Dragon and including Stephens La Fever on electric bass, Frank Capp on tympani, and a host of string players...followed by a later horn overdub session at Sunset Sound

ALL THIS IS THAT
Blondie Chaplin
Ricky Fataar
Carl Wilson

CUDDLE UP
Dennis Wilson
Carl Wilson
- plus a later orchestral overdub at Sound City in Sepulveda, led by Darryl Dragon and including Stephens La Fever on electric bass, Frank Capp on tympani, and a host of string players

NOTE:  according to the contracts, HERE SHE COMES and HE COME DOWN were cut at the same session, as was the case with HOLD ON DEAR BROTHER and ALL THIS IS THAT, but I left Brian Wilson's name off the above credits for HERE SHE COMES and left Red Rhodes' name off the credits for ALL THIS IS THAT, as there is no aural evidence of them on those specific songs. 

Thanks for this insightful info. Correct me if I'm wrong but this must be close to the only BB album not to feature Al Jardine in an instrumental role.

I also didn't bother naming all the string & horn players, but I certainly COULD if someone really wanted me to...Smiley

I do, please.  Grin

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: February 20, 2010, 06:51:44 PM »

I don't know how much Al Jardine did instrumentally in the studio after the late '60s.  He's barely on 15 BIG ONES (only "Susie Cincinnati" which is from '69/'70), and he's not on LOVE YOU at all to my knowledge. He plays a lot of bass on M.I.U., but that's the only extensive studio performances by Al that I'm aware of after SURF'S UP.

What else...almost certainly on guitar for "Lady Lynda" and "Santa Ana Winds" but probably nowhere else on LIGHT ALBUM or KTSA.  He's on "California Calling" on BEACH BOYS '85.  On HOLLAND he's probably the lightly phased rhythm guitar that's buried deep in the mix on "California Saga", and I have a feeling it might be him on organ on the unreleased country-ish track whose name I am blanking on right now, and I think there's some banjo on "California Saga," correct?

SURF'S UP is probably the last album besides M.I.U. Al makes a significant instrumental contribution on....he's on "Feet," "Water" and "Lookin' At Tomorrow," and I suppose it's possible (though I have no evidence to that effect) that he's on "Student Demonstration Time" or "Disney Girls."

Earle Mankey told me a story that on one occasion Al brought a song into Brother Studio and played all the instruments on it (Earle didn't sound that impressed, honestly).  He indicated this was an extremely rare event.  That was probably around '77...
adamghost
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #49 on: February 20, 2010, 06:53:18 PM »

Re:  LOVE YOU, I suppose Al might be on "Good Time."  Anyone know for sure?
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx