gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680740 Posts in 27613 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 18, 2024, 10:14:32 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Caribou Album'....  (Read 9697 times)
MBE
« Reply #25 on: February 04, 2010, 08:54:50 PM »

I don't hate it. It's odd as hell but I can't say it's bad really. I would rather a strange 1974 cut then a serious 1984 one any day.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: February 04, 2010, 08:56:51 PM »

it's still got that BW quirky-ness to it, throw in a shortenin bread riff and i'll love it even more

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #27 on: February 05, 2010, 04:10:43 AM »

Hi all!! As my first ever post I just wish to add to this topic by saying I really dig The Battle Hymm of the Republic!!!  I think as the song progresses it builds very well, with unique instrumentaion (banjo, piffe and cheesy 70's synth) and that Mike does a good job of singing it considering the ammont of lyrics he has to get his tongue around!!  Is there a different recording other than the Get The Boot version thats much worse or something? I only ask as EVERYBODY seems to hate this song but me!!

I've never hated it, either.  I think it's rather endearing.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #28 on: February 05, 2010, 06:02:11 AM »

i love the banjo work in the BB early 70's work: You Need a Mess of Help, HELP is on the Way, Battle Hymn, etc.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: February 05, 2010, 09:27:17 AM »

While we are on this Caribou album 1974 thread, I figured I'd throw this question out there. What was California Feeling intended to be written for? The Beach Boys? Kalinich? American Spring? I just wonder why after writing a song that has gotten rave reviews for that demo performance, why he tucked it away, and didn't issue a version until 02.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: February 05, 2010, 11:53:27 AM »

I've heard it muttered quietly that "BHOTR" was Brian having no little fun at the expense of one Michael Edward Love.  Roll Eyes

And even if not, it's got the worst banjo solo in the history of recorded music.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: February 05, 2010, 12:31:24 PM »

Cool to see BHOTR has it supporters after all!!  I also love Rollin up to Heaven.  The first time I heard that song I laughed till I bust!!  With that title I was expecting a ballad, then WHOA!!! Al sounds like he's having the time of his life shrieking those lyrics!  I know it has been posted elsewhere B4 but the group seemed to have a rather good follow up to Holland pretty much in the bag by late '74.
« Last Edit: February 05, 2010, 12:42:22 PM by mikes beard » Logged

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Jason
« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2010, 12:44:25 PM »

What songs are you listening to and what are you smoking and may I have some? Smiley
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2010, 12:49:50 PM »

I don't suppose anybody knows exactly what is being sung throughout that song? We all know the main rude lyric but can anybody tell me what Denny and Carl are singing for instance?  Den sounds like "...something... something..  she's a humpin' and a pumping" and I can pick out "holy halleueagh?!!?" from Carl. Any info/guesses would be most welcome.  

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2010, 12:54:06 PM »

What songs are you listening to and what are you smoking and may I have some? Smiley

Ha ha!!  I don't smoke weed anymore(havn't for years and am now anti drugs) but I wish to hell I had been into the Beach Boys back in the days when I did!!
« Last Edit: February 06, 2010, 04:50:58 AM by mikes beard » Logged

Sheriff John Stone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #35 on: February 05, 2010, 02:07:58 PM »

This thread kind of shows that The Beach Boys really didn't have enough quality material for a Caribou album. "Child Of Winter" wouldn't have been on; I think Dennis would've kept his songs for his upcoming solo album, and, even with the bicentennial approaching, "The Battle Hymn Of The Republic" might've gotten cut, too. A Caribou album looks like another Beach Boys' that would've been rejected by the record company, just like the previous three or four. Only this time, I don't know which "hidden gems" could've been added to it.
Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: February 06, 2010, 05:02:29 AM »

He may have been talking guff but I do remember reading a Mike interview from very early '75 somewhere where he says they  have a new album in the can and will be putting it out within a month or so.  Titles he quoted were "Everyones in Love with You, Glow Crescent Glow, 10,000 Years and California Feelin' plus one or two more that I can't remember.  Also bear in mind Dennis had both River Song and Rainbows semi complete, which were intended originally for the group.  Add to that whatever Carl and Al had laying around plus the odd choice leftover in the vaults and who knows?  Maybe a decent follow up to Holland was within reach?  Has anybody else ever read the Mike interview i am referring to and do they know where it was from?

The infamous Baldwin Organ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: February 06, 2010, 08:40:59 AM »

In my opinion, an album with "Everyones in Love With You" "California Feelin" "River Song" "Rainbow" "Good Timin" and "It's OK" would have been a pretty hot album.
Mr. Cohen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: February 06, 2010, 10:38:01 AM »

"Ding Dang" might as well be Brian's autobiography for 73-75.
MBE
« Reply #39 on: February 06, 2010, 06:35:02 PM »

"Rolling Up To Heaven" also known as "Hard Time" or "Dirty Ding Dang" is great. It sounds like one of the last times they were really having fun together and Brian's arrangment is actually pretty intricate. I think I hear Mike saying "Rubbing In The Tub" I think I heard Al say "Worried about her parents" Brian of course (in one of his last clear vocal turns) keeps singing "Hard Time". I don't get tired of that one because there is so much in it. Ok it's no "Marcella" or "Sail On Sailor" but I like it better then most of the post 1976 songs just because of how much deranged fun it is.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: February 06, 2010, 09:41:20 PM »

speakin of Rollin' up to Heaven, I was just giving Ding Dang a listen, and I'm surprised Brian didn't use the Rollin' cut and then add his own vocals from that era with it...same thing goes with other things that were recorded in the early 70s but released when his gruff voice was current like Good Time, When Girls Get Together, etc.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

MBE
« Reply #41 on: February 06, 2010, 11:21:55 PM »

speakin of Rollin' up to Heaven, I was just giving Ding Dang a listen, and I'm surprised Brian didn't use the Rollin' cut and then add his own vocals from that era with it...same thing goes with other things that were recorded in the early 70s but released when his gruff voice was current like Good Time, When Girls Get Together, etc.
If I were one of the Beach Boys I would have been trying to cover up Brian's new voice by suggesting old tracks only when they wanted a Brian lead. I see your point though.
jeremylr
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #42 on: February 06, 2010, 11:45:25 PM »

Another poster mentioned the banjo that was featured on several BB's cuts in the early '70s.  Does anyone know if the BB's played banjo, or was a studio musician always utilized?  You Need A Mess of Help is one example that comes to mind.
MBE
« Reply #43 on: February 07, 2010, 01:58:23 AM »

I've been told Ricky could play almost anything. Brian could get sounds out of most things too. I would guess that if anyone in the group was the banjo player it would of been one of them.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #44 on: February 07, 2010, 04:08:53 AM »

Another poster mentioned the banjo that was featured on several BB's cuts in the early '70s.  Does anyone know if the BB's played banjo, or was a studio musician always utilized?  You Need A Mess of Help is one example that comes to mind.

The banjo played on "California Saga: California" was also used on "California Energy Blues", where it was played by one Alan Charles Jardine. In the only known photo of The Islanders (1960), there's a banjo, so I'm guessing Alan's been playing one for some time.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: February 07, 2010, 09:33:58 AM »

"Rolling Up To Heaven" also known as "Hard Time" or "Dirty Ding Dang" is great. It sounds like one of the last times they were really having fun together and Brian's arrangment is actually pretty intricate. I think I hear Mike saying "Rubbing In The Tub" I think I heard Al say "Worried about her parents" Brian of course (in one of his last clear vocal turns) keeps singing "Hard Time". I don't get tired of that one because there is so much in it. Ok it's no "Marcella" or "Sail On Sailor" but I like it better then most of the post 1976 songs just because of how much deranged fun it is.

It's absolutely hypnotic because, like you said, it IS so intricate. There's a lot going on there, and yes, it sounds like they were having a hell of a lot of fun recording it. I never really get tired of it.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
gfx
Pages: 1 [2] Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx