gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680784 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 24, 2024, 10:38:45 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Down Print
Author Topic: The 'Caribou Album'....  (Read 9705 times)
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« on: February 02, 2010, 05:47:05 AM »

I'm curious, is "Battle Hymn" the only circulating recording from the aborted 1974 Caribou album?

I thought that the 'big tits' version of "Ding Dang" might've been from there, but I wasn't sure.
Alex
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2010, 10:02:29 AM »

Ummm... Unfinished versions of Good Timin' and River Song from those sessions also circulate. Andrew G. Doe's site gives a complete overview of the sessions, and pretty much ALL BBs sessions.

"I thought Brian was a perfect gentleman, apart from buttering his head and trying to put it between two slices of bread"  -Tom Petty, after eating with Brian.

https://givemesomeboots1.blogspot.com/
Jason
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2010, 11:13:40 AM »

The Battle Hymn of the Republic is a Caribou recording, and the so-called "big tits" Ding Dang aka Rollin' Up To Heaven is from the same period, roughly, although I've heard a few whispers that Rollin' Up To Heaven might have been on tape as early as 1969 with more work done in 1974. Brian's voice disagrees with those whispers, but then again, the potential 1969 work could have just been instrumental sessions.

Good Timin' dates from around this period but was never finished - only the master take of the track and the track with a partial vocal circulates. It was the only work done on the track in 1974. If it was the basis of the final 1978 version during the LA period is debatable, the lead vocal sounds similar but the track was either heavily overdubbed or totally re-recorded.

Child Of Winter, of course, is the obvious answer, but is a bit more difficult to pinpoint due to sessions for it being held all throughout late 1974, and the Caribou period was a brief, unconcentrated stretch in October and November 1974. Apparently some work was done on it at Caribou.

I doubt that a potential archival release of Caribou sessions (or for that matter, any sessions) from 1974 would be of much interest to even the most truly hardcore of us lunatics, unless they love torturing themselves with repeated listens to The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Coming off the heels of Holland, what we've heard is barely progressive and mostly a sidestep. And it should be noted that while Brian was somewhat productive in 1974, those who have actually heard material in which he had an active hand, the results were either distressing, embarrassing, or brilliant.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2010, 05:23:14 PM »

Good Timin' dates from around this period but was never finished - only the master take of the track and the track with a partial vocal circulates. It was the only work done on the track in 1974. If it was the basis of the final 1978 version during the LA period is debatable, the lead vocal sounds similar but the track was either heavily overdubbed or totally re-recorded.

Didn't know that one was debatable...to my ears, it's definitely the same track.  Overdubbed for sure, but definitely the same track.
Jason
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2010, 05:50:10 PM »

It is the same track to my ears as well...but some other folks disagreed when I mentioned it. The drum sound is the dead giveaway. The keyboard was most likely turned down when the overdubs were done in '78.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2010, 09:02:59 PM »

It is the same track to my ears as well...but some other folks disagreed when I mentioned it. The drum sound is the dead giveaway. The keyboard was most likely turned down when the overdubs were done in '78.

Those other folks are wrong.  Smiley
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2010, 09:40:38 PM »

This part of The Beach Boys history is very interesting to me. I think that 1973 was the last year where things really went right for the group. Some of the recordings made in 1974 were good, but I think Dennis Moore hit the nail on the head when he called the songs a "sidestep". Even the best song, Good Timin', is a pretty clear attempt by the group to get back to their "glory days" of surf and fun in the sun. The year 1974 was their last chance to still be a creatively progressive group, but they were slipping, and fast. By the time they finally released an album(15 Big Ones), it was clear that the damage had been done, and they were in trouble, with little to no option of a way out.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Jason
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2010, 09:59:25 PM »

The only member of the band in 1974 who was really making strides as far as progression was concerned, was, of course, Dennis. Some stuff on POB and some of the Bambu tracks can lay claim to some work being done in 1974.

I can think of Rainbows offhand being tracked in an early version (aka String Bass Song). I believe Alan Boyd mentioned that parts of Are You Real are from a 1974 session titled "Life Symphony" (iffy on this, corrections needed). And of course, River Song was worked on a lot in 1974 even though the music itself wasn't new by any standard; listen to the 1971 track Ecology to hear the exact same piano melody, albeit in a different key.

Dennis' work on POB and some Bambu tracks exploded in 1975, as we all know.
Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2010, 10:00:28 PM »

I doubt that a potential archival release of Caribou sessions (or for that matter, any sessions) from 1974 would be of much interest to even the most truly hardcore of us lunatics, unless they love torturing themselves with repeated listens to The Battle Hymn of the Republic. Coming off the heels of Holland, what we've heard is barely progressive and mostly a sidestep. And it should be noted that while Brian was somewhat productive in 1974, those who have actually heard material in which he had an active hand, the results were either distressing, embarrassing, or brilliant.

Which songs do you mean as far as being distressing, embarrassing, or brilliant? I'm interested to hear which ones were really bad and which were really good.
Jason
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2010, 10:04:34 PM »

The Battle Hymn of the Republic is brilliantly distressing and embarrassing, although that might have been Brian's intent all along - note how the rhythm is too much for Michael to keep up with vocally. Brian's piano/vocal track of California Dreamin' has been called brilliant (along with a few descriptive adjectives) by those who have heard it. The Kalinich co-writes Lucy Jones and You're Riding High On The Music, on the other hand, have been given mixed reactions - some have claimed they're good and some have claimed they're hideous.

Let's keep in mind that all of these tracks still exist on tape. I doubt any will ever come out legally at the rate things are going, unless that website gets up and running.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2010, 10:22:21 PM »

What are the chances of the California Feelin' demo, Lucy Jones, and You're Riding High On The Music ever being circulated among the fans?

Jim V.
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #11 on: February 02, 2010, 10:50:36 PM »

I don't know about this whole "progression" argument as relating to Brian. I mean obviously his progression from Surfin to Smile obviously was something to behold, but I don't know if one could say his material from Smiley Smile to the end of '74 wasn't a "progression." I mean obviously on something like "Do It Again" he reverted to an older sound, but in the case of something like "Good Timin" I think that song was just a result of Brian writing a "Brian" song, without regard as to whether it was further out creatively than McCartney or whoever else he considered a peer. As far as the 15 Big Ones period and on, its harder to say, because I think there were certain parties that wanted him to write certain things in certain ways. But at least til the end of '74 I'd say he was following his muse. And I think if he would have still gotten help but not been forced into active duty with the Beach Boys, his material from '76 on might have still had that spark it had before (most of Love You, "Good Timin" and a few others aside).

And its a shame most of us don't get to hear "California Feeling" '74, "Lucy Jones," "You're Riding...", if only they would have came through with Beach Boys Central. Did we ever hear if its dead, or is there a chance we will ever see it?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #12 on: February 03, 2010, 12:17:18 AM »

What are the chances of the California Feelin' demo, Lucy Jones, and You're Riding High On The Music ever being circulated among the fans?
Highly unlikely.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
MBE
« Reply #13 on: February 03, 2010, 12:24:57 AM »

I don't know about this whole "progression" argument as relating to Brian. I mean obviously his progression from Surfin to Smile obviously was something to behold, but I don't know if one could say his material from Smiley Smile to the end of '74 wasn't a "progression." I mean obviously on something like "Do It Again" he reverted to an older sound, but in the case of something like "Good Timin" I think that song was just a result of Brian writing a "Brian" song, without regard as to whether it was further out creatively than McCartney or whoever else he considered a peer. As far as the 15 Big Ones period and on, its harder to say, because I think there were certain parties that wanted him to write certain things in certain ways. But at least til the end of '74 I'd say he was following his muse. And I think if he would have still gotten help but not been forced into active duty with the Beach Boys, his material from '76 on might have still had that spark it had before.
I think if he hadn't lost his voice the post 1974 stuff would be easier to take. I think Brian in 1974 was still making some creative music but maybe not as progressive as the stuff from say the 1970-72 period. Good Timin and (from what has been said) California Feeling seem to  be the last gasps of Brian in his prime.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #14 on: February 03, 2010, 12:28:30 AM »

It seems like everything he did started sounding like "oldies". I wonder when it was that he pretty much started listening to only 50s & 60s music...it's like he went Bryan Ferry in a way.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Jason
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2010, 08:29:29 AM »

I agree with Billy up there, but it is fair to say "never say never".
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2010, 10:31:37 AM »

Here's something I've often wondered...which tracks were destroyed in the Caribou fire? Or was that just a myth?

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2010, 11:47:28 AM »

that BBCentral site is as up and running as Brian in 1983

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2010, 05:24:47 PM »

Of anything, "California Feeling" really deserves to be heard. It's got a sort of "classic" feel to it like a lot of Brian's older material, but all the versions we have of it are kind of... eh, lacking in one way or another.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2010, 08:29:37 PM »

the MIU/LA era is missing Brian, as is the Rocky P/American Spring, yet Brian's new version is lacking the Beach Boys....im surprised he didnt save it for TLOS

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
TheLazenby
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2010, 08:56:52 PM »

I honestly don't find "Battle Hymn" to be that terrible.  I sort of have a list of my own 'Beach Boys greatest hits'...

* Battle Hymn Of The Republic
* Here Comes The Night (1979 version)
* Heroes and Villains (10 minute version)
* Feel Flows
* I Was Made To Love Her (long version from stereo "Wild Honey" boot)
* H.E.L.P. Is On The Way
* Loop De Loop
* Here She Comes
* Never Learn Not To Love
* Tones (the Carl song, not "Holidays")
* Come Go With Me
* I Just Got My Pay
* Rollin' Up To Heaven

How's that for one f'ed up compilation?! :-P  
« Last Edit: February 03, 2010, 08:58:33 PM by TheLazenby » Logged
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2010, 10:48:43 PM »

I agree with Billy up there, but it is fair to say "never say never".
That's what I was about to say. I remember reading and hearing about "Rollin' Up To Heaven" and The Beginning Of The End a few years before Get The Boot came out. But I think that the above "Caribou recordings" are being to closely guarded to be, um...."borrowed" long enough to be leaked.

DISCLAIMER: The above statement(s) are merely the musings of a fan. Nothing of the above statement was meant to be taken as anything that may or may not(read: wont) happen.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #22 on: February 04, 2010, 07:14:10 AM »

Here's something I've often wondered...which tracks were destroyed in the Caribou fire? Or was that just a myth?

Guercio said recently (within the last couple of years) that NO tapes were destroyed in the fire. 
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #23 on: February 04, 2010, 09:03:18 AM »

Ahhh..so yet ANOTHER BB myth busted!

Mike's Beard
Smiley Smile Associate

Check your privilege. Love & Mercy guys!

View Profile
« Reply #24 on: February 04, 2010, 11:07:49 AM »

Hi all!! As my first ever post I just wish to add to this topic by saying I really dig The Battle Hymm of the Republic!!!  I think as the song progresses it builds very well, with unique instrumentaion (banjo, piffe and cheesy 70's synth) and that Mike does a good job of singing it considering the ammont of lyrics he has to get his tongue around!!  Is there a different recording other than the Get The Boot version thats much worse or something? I only ask as EVERYBODY seems to hate this song but me!!

I'd rather be forced to sleep with Caitlyn Jenner then ever have to listen to NPP again.
gfx
Pages: [1] 2 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx