gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680849 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 27, 2024, 04:09:37 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Mike Love's Solo tours in 1981  (Read 8489 times)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #25 on: January 21, 2010, 06:37:18 AM »

Michael singing God Only Knows...yeah, I'd definitely cringe. And then he'd throw in a honking sax solo during the break.
Just like the original studio take, that Brian produced. Hmmm....
... but had the common sense to can when he realised it SUCKED!
...but suppose that we only knew this version? Would we still think it is awful? I doubt that very much.

Dunno... GOK is one of the foundation stones of the BBs' reputation.

Could be that:

1) a lot of us wouldn't even be fans today;

2) the band would have folded long before any member had to pass away;

and

3) Mike would have licensed the use of the name "The Beach Boys" back in the early '80s, and I'd be going Scunthorpe Working Men's Club tonight to see him, Johnston, Foskett, Dean Torrence and Steady Eddie play a slew of their hits including I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Rocking the Man in the Boat, Teach Me Tonight, and Paradise Found.  After which they'd throw their guitars and amps in the back of a Ford Transit and drive through the night to their next gig, at Burnley Trades Club.

“We live in divisive times.”
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #26 on: January 21, 2010, 06:51:41 AM »

Michael singing God Only Knows...yeah, I'd definitely cringe. And then he'd throw in a honking sax solo during the break.
Just like the original studio take, that Brian produced. Hmmm....
... but had the common sense to can when he realised it SUCKED!
...but suppose that we only knew this version? Would we still think it is awful? I doubt that very much.

Dunno... GOK is one of the foundation stones of the BBs' reputation.

Could be that:

1) a lot of us wouldn't even be fans today;

2) the band would have folded long before any member had to pass away;

and

3) Mike would have licensed the use of the name "The Beach Boys" back in the early '80s, and I'd be going Scunthorpe Working Men's Club tonight to see him, Johnston, Foskett, Dean Torrence and Steady Eddie play a slew of their hits including I Get Around, Help Me Rhonda, Rocking the Man in the Boat, Teach Me Tonight, and Paradise Found.  After which they'd throw their guitars and amps in the back of a Ford Transit and drive through the night to their next gig, at Burnley Trades Club.

Hehe... the third option sounds pretty workmanlike and lovely to me... sipping a Harvey's and listening to this lineup... pondering the passing of time... no Smile myth to worry endlessly about... the simple life is the good life.

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #27 on: January 21, 2010, 07:07:34 AM »

Well, I looked the setlist up for July 1981, is this where the infamous recording of Imagine on the 'boots' comes from?
Also, I found Surfin' (Blues version), what's this? and California Beach was performed as well, interesting. and Calendar Girl was an encore? haha

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #28 on: January 21, 2010, 08:19:39 AM »

Sept 4 and 5 1981 Nepenthe Club in Fort Lauderdale

Have to question those dates, as The Beach Boys played South Fallsburg NY on the 4th and Grand Rapids MI on the 5th...

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #29 on: January 21, 2010, 09:40:18 AM »

No they didn't as it turns out...It's one of the updates you haven't gotten to yet. The tour ended on the 2nd.  Mike was interviewed in Florida-in the newspaper-when he arrived
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2010, 10:23:11 AM »

Knew there'd be an explanation.  Grin

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2010, 12:40:01 PM »

Mike did some dates with Dean in 1981 too.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #32 on: January 21, 2010, 04:37:08 PM »

Also in 1982, including one near Atlanta. Astroray, did you go to that show? I was traveling out of state and missed it.

« Last Edit: January 21, 2010, 04:38:41 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
Aegir
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #33 on: January 21, 2010, 05:35:49 PM »

I am probably mistaken, but I believe Randell Kirsch was also in Mike's solo band.

Every time you spell Smile as SMiLE, an angel's wings are forcibly torn off its body.
astroray
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #34 on: January 21, 2010, 06:12:37 PM »

The 3 times Ive seen Mike solo here in Atlanta:
Promo concert for "Almost Summer"at a http:// Marietta softball field
The Agora for "Looking Back with Love"
That show at Lake Lanier the next year to promote uh,uh,uh, Mike I guess!
Do seeing the Beach Boys now count as Mike solo gigs?

Cook pork throughly
Jason
« Reply #35 on: January 21, 2010, 06:36:08 PM »

Mike and Dean shows are a lot of fun. Totally disposable entertainment but good for an afternoon of summertime fun.
Robbo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #36 on: January 22, 2010, 06:59:19 AM »

Hello Ian, here's one for you. From Billboard magazine dated 3rd October 1981 in the marriages section "Mike Love, of the Beach Boys, to model Catherine Martinez Sept 17 in Santa Barbara, Calif. Services were conducted by Wolfman Jack, who was ordained the same week."
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #37 on: January 22, 2010, 09:39:02 AM »

any help with the date of the 78 Marietta show or the Lanier Lake show-I'm unaware of those-I'd like to add them to Bellagio (when AGD is able to update again)
Stegibo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #38 on: January 22, 2010, 10:22:06 AM »

Don't forget Bruce Johnston!

Are you ready for some Fun Fun Fun?!
Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2010, 10:16:04 AM »

Emdeeh-the Atlanta Mike show at Agora is advertised in the U of GA Red and Black newspaper from Oct 29 1981
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #40 on: January 24, 2010, 09:20:13 AM »

Thanks for the info, Ian. I wondered how I missed seeing that in The R&B back then. I must have been away when it ran, and missed seeing the paper. I would have at least cut out the ad and kept it.  Huh

I did find my photos from the Lake Lanier Islands show, tho. No date other than May, 1981 on them. I don't have a printed ad for that either, found about the show from the radio.

Ian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #41 on: January 24, 2010, 09:37:18 AM »

Just to clarify-the Lake Lanier show was a Mike solo show with Endless Summer Beach Band right?
Ian
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #42 on: January 24, 2010, 04:24:18 PM »

Ian, I'm not sure what Mike was calling the supporting band, but Jeff Foskett was definitely part of it. It was a solo show, not a Mike & Dean show. M&D played at Lake Lanier Islands in 1982.

ESQ Editor
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #43 on: January 25, 2010, 08:45:30 AM »

Pretty sure Mike called the band "The Endless Summer Beach Band."
Jason
« Reply #44 on: January 25, 2010, 09:21:23 AM »

I think it's safe to say that the worst thing ever associated with the Beach Boys was Michael's theme song for the ESBB, titled, appropriately, Endless Summer Beach Band.

"We're the Endless Summer Beach Band and we have fun whenever we can..."

And it gets worse. I don't know if this recording was bootlegged though.
TdHabib
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #45 on: January 25, 2010, 10:57:13 AM »

His stuff with Adrian Baker almost made me renounce my fandom.

I like the Beatles a bit more than the Boys of Beach, I think Brian's band is the tops---really amazing. And finally, I'm liberal. That's it.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #46 on: January 25, 2010, 11:15:50 AM »

I think it's safe to say that the worst thing ever associated with the Beach Boys was Michael's theme song for the ESBB, titled, appropriately, Endless Summer Beach Band.

"We're the Endless Summer Beach Band and we have fun whenever we can..."

And it gets worse. I don't know if this recording was bootlegged though.

Only the track, although there is a live boot.

Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #47 on: January 25, 2010, 06:11:14 PM »

Good point!
Cowsii
Honored Guest

View Profile
« Reply #48 on: January 30, 2010, 09:02:21 PM »

Randell and I both were doing The M&D tours. Actually Jeff brought us in. I didn't do as many as Randell. But I do recall recording that THEME song at a studio near the love foundation in Santa Barbara. I played with M&D For The spring break gigs in Florida and then again on south padre island in Texas. Farmer was also recruited for some of those shows(he was with Jan and dean prior to these gigs). I think the reason i was there was to fill in for Kowalski (who also played with the endless summer beach band) because there were conflicting BB shows. It was easier for Mike and Jeff to get in and out in time to do the BB. There was also Bo foxx before me and after me Paul Bershero(sorry for the spelling Paul). This is how I met Dean and he was gonna go back out as Jan and Dean again. (The Mike and Dean gigs were a wake up call for Jan to stop doing drugs). It worked. So I played with Jan and dean along with Randell, Farmer, Gary griffin and then a very young Phil Bardowell joined a couple of years later. I quit in 86 or 87 and called Dave Logaman who still sits the throne with that camp. Oh this was a fun thread.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #49 on: January 31, 2010, 02:33:08 AM »

Randell and I both were doing The M&D tours. Actually Jeff brought us in. I didn't do as many as Randell. But I do recall recording that THEME song at a studio near the love foundation in Santa Barbara. I played with M&D For The spring break gigs in Florida and then again on south padre island in Texas. Farmer was also recruited for some of those shows(he was with Jan and dean prior to these gigs). I think the reason i was there was to fill in for Kowalski (who also played with the endless summer beach band) because there were conflicting BB shows. It was easier for Mike and Jeff to get in and out in time to do the BB. There was also Bo foxx before me and after me Paul Bershero(sorry for the spelling Paul). This is how I met Dean and he was gonna go back out as Jan and Dean again. (The Mike and Dean gigs were a wake up call for Jan to stop doing drugs). It worked. So I played with Jan and dean along with Randell, Farmer, Gary griffin and then a very young Phil Bardowell joined a couple of years later. I quit in 86 or 87 and called Dave Logaman who still sits the throne with that camp. Oh this was a fun thread.

Who was that masked man ? Plays a damn fine drum...  Grin

gfx
Pages: 1 [2] 3 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx