gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 02:27:10 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399915 times)
roffels
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7025 on: July 05, 2021, 08:04:04 AM »

Hello! I was wondering if anyone knows where most/all of the BB bootlegs come from or how they got "leaked"?

The rumor I heard is most of the Sea of Tunes bootlegs leaked from someone who worked on The Beach Boys: An American Family documentary.

I'd be curious to learn how things like Adult Child leaked.
DingDangIsTheGreatestSong
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7026 on: July 06, 2021, 01:41:31 PM »

Also is there any chance for a release of the tracks in the vaults from before the current copyright-like "On Top of Ol Smoky" "How Deep is The Ocean" and things like that?"

Thanks!

Ol' Smokey doesn't exist - never existed in the first place. It was jammed on at John Phillips' house. Didn't go within several miles of a recording studio.

How Deep is the Ocean - if there's ever an opportunity to circle back around to a 1965 archival release, I'd assume.

The reason I ask about Ol' Smokey is, on Wikipedia it says it was recorded after a Vega-tables session on April 11, 1967.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7027 on: July 06, 2021, 02:21:10 PM »

Also is there any chance for a release of the tracks in the vaults from before the current copyright-like "On Top of Ol Smoky" "How Deep is The Ocean" and things like that?"

Thanks!

Ol' Smokey doesn't exist - never existed in the first place. It was jammed on at John Phillips' house. Didn't go within several miles of a recording studio.

How Deep is the Ocean - if there's ever an opportunity to circle back around to a 1965 archival release, I'd assume.

The reason I ask about Ol' Smokey is, on Wikipedia it says it was recorded after a Vega-tables session on April 11, 1967.

It wasn't.
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7028 on: July 07, 2021, 09:00:44 PM »

What is how deep is the ocean from 65?
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7029 on: July 07, 2021, 11:18:37 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rXBljjceb4s
It's an Irving Berlin song arranged and sung by Dick Reynolds (arranged side B of the Christmas Album and also arranger for The Four Freshmen).  It's on the SOT Bootleg Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 11 along with "Stella By Starlight" and the voice calling the takes sounds like it could be Brian.  He is credited as producer but besides that it ostensibly doesn't have much to do with the BB.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7030 on: July 07, 2021, 11:51:32 PM »

It's an Irving Berlin song arranged and sung by Dick Reynolds (arranged side B of the Christmas Album and also arranger for The Four Freshmen).  It's on the SOT Bootleg Unsurpassed Masters Vol. 11 along with "Stella By Starlight" and the voice calling the takes sounds like it could be Brian.  He is credited as producer but besides that it ostensibly doesn't have much to do with the BB.

Not Dick Reynolds. The singer is Brian's uncle, Carl Korthof. Reynolds is conducting the band.
Aomdiddlywalla
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7031 on: July 08, 2021, 06:12:15 AM »

Not Dick Reynolds. The singer is Brian's uncle, Carl Korthof. Reynolds is conducting the band.

As in....  Sherley Carl Korthof ?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7032 on: July 08, 2021, 06:26:07 AM »

As in....  Sherley Carl Korthof ?

Yep, Audree's brother, Steve's father.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7033 on: July 12, 2021, 09:13:55 PM »

Good to know, was just going by the liner notes for that boot.
Rocknsoulman69
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7034 on: July 14, 2021, 01:26:28 PM »

Jem Records Celebrates Brian Wilson out this Friday! Interview here: https://youtu.be/2zTDN3IszO4
Rebel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7035 on: July 14, 2021, 09:08:36 PM »

Are there more rakes of ‘let’s live before we die’? Or was it completed? Why would the band leave this one unreleased? Even as an instrumental it is stellar.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7036 on: August 21, 2021, 05:44:49 PM »

This fact is such a great example of how erroneous assumptions get subsumed into the record as fact when it's just not true.  Gotta keep slaying the myths!!
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7037 on: August 23, 2021, 09:17:41 AM »

Remember me? Smiley

Anyways I got one question for today. I've wondered about Feel Flows (box set) lately and I just want to know...

What do I expect to hear on Sweet and Bitter?

I mean...uh...who played on Games Two Can Play...

and the organ on Seasons In The Sun?
Don Malcolm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7038 on: August 23, 2021, 12:54:18 PM »

That's three questions, and the genie is not pleased to discover you playing fast and loose with arithmetic again...  3D

So I will answer one, and one only: what you should expect to hear on "Sweet and Bitter" is a somewhat more adenoidal-than-usual Mike on lead vocal; Don Goldberg, who wrote the song, revealed in his autobio THE LOST SONG that Mike showed up to sing the lead while suffering from a head cold. Given the maelstrom that was often the scene at Bellagio, Goldberg was grateful that Mike didn't beg off. It's not a bad vocal: there's a reasonable amount of emotional conviction to be found amidst those adenoids... Smokin
sloopjohnb72
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7039 on: August 23, 2021, 07:44:00 PM »

The mix of Sweet & Bitter on FF is very different to what Don posted on Youtube some years back... it's stripped back to just what Brian and Don played in the studio that day. Acoustic guitars, organ, piano, bass, and Mike's vocal.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7040 on: August 23, 2021, 10:23:36 PM »

Remember me? Smiley

Anyways I got one question for today. I've wondered about Feel Flows (box set) lately and I just want to know... the organ on Seasons In The Sun?

I can’t give you the organ credit, but c-man has posted before (I can grab the link for you if you want) if that it otherwise was a Wrecking Crew instrumental performance: Sonny Curtis (the same as from The Crickets?) and Mike Deasy on guitar, Lyle Ritz on bass, Earl Palmer on drums, and Virgil Evans on trumpet
« Last Edit: August 23, 2021, 10:48:17 PM by All Summer Long » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7041 on: August 24, 2021, 06:46:58 AM »

The mix of Sweet & Bitter on FF is very different to what Don posted on Youtube some years back... it's stripped back to just what Brian and Don played in the studio that day. Acoustic guitars, organ, piano, bass, and Mike's vocal.

When the track was posted by Don Goldberg, it was immediately apparent even with zero context that a bunch of stuff had been overdubbed *years* after 1970. A lot of the drum and synth sounds sounded very late 70s/early 80s.

I'm sure what they did for "Feel Flows" was indeed just strip it back to discernibly contemporary 1970-ish elements.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
hcoclo
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7042 on: September 05, 2021, 01:04:28 PM »

Probably a tiresome question, but when did Brian start integrating Wall-of-Sound-like production techniques? Can we point to a specific album?
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #7043 on: September 05, 2021, 03:02:16 PM »

Probably a tiresome question, but when did Brian start integrating Wall-of-Sound-like production techniques? Can we point to a specific album?

He started getting into Wall of Sound stuff with his productions outside the Beach Boys. 
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7044 on: September 21, 2021, 08:41:20 AM »

The Beach Boys Facebook feed just put out a post about Smiley Smile (the album) and it cites Robbie Robertson of The Band as an admirer. I did a Google search and all the mentions seem to be repeats of a passing reference to Robbie from the Smiley Smile liner notes. Can anyone point me to what Robbie actually said about the album?

WindChimes529
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #7045 on: October 05, 2021, 01:40:28 PM »

I was scanning the Wiki entry for Sunflower and this quote struck me as interesting, originally taken from the Steven Gaines book:

"Shortly before signing with Reprise, the group accumulated enough material for a new album, now titled Sun Flower, and assembled a provisional 14-song acetate for the label. This collection was rejected. Warner Bros. executive Dave Berson remembered: 'It seemed like an amazing thing to do, to say to the Beach Boys, 'This is not the kind of an album we want to pay for.' Contractually, we didn't have any right to reject albums."

Given the considerable trouble they had submitting an acceptable tracklisting to Reprise for what eventually became Sunflower, it's odd to me what they had to do to get it out given that Warner/Reprise apparently had no contractual right to reject what they submitted. Does anybody have any info/insight into this?

HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7046 on: October 05, 2021, 03:53:26 PM »

Someone with more intimate knowledge of the Reprise contract can of course weigh in. I find it hard to believe there was no right to reject. What if they submitted a master tape with an hour of silence, or an hour long remake of "Polly Wolly Doodle?"

Didn't Reprise reject the '77 Christmas album?

I realize sometimes "rejection" might come in the form of something less formal.

Even if there wasn't a specific mechanism in the contract to outright reject an album, I'm sure record labels back then had a variety of tools and muscle to strongly suggest to artists that they need to go back to the drawing board.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #7047 on: October 07, 2021, 12:17:34 PM »

Well -- not really a question, just passing something along from the BBFC mailbox, in case anyone's interested:

There's an online auction of BB albums and vintage fanzines being held Friday, October 8, starting 10 a.m. GMT from Wessex Auctions, Chippenham, UK.

https://www.wessexauctionrooms.co.uk/departments/vinyl-auction

Go to page 10 of the online catalog to see the lots available.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #7048 on: October 20, 2021, 01:15:56 PM »

Does anybody know where I can see the 2012 (or was it 2011?) video of Do It Again? You know, the one with all of them at studio with the named parking spots in front of the Capitol Tower etc? I haven't seen that in years!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #7049 on: October 20, 2021, 02:41:29 PM »

Does anybody know where I can see the 2012 (or was it 2011?) video of Do It Again? You know, the one with all of them at studio with the named parking spots in front of the Capitol Tower etc? I haven't seen that in years!

It's pretty ironic that a million scraps from the reunion are on YouTube, but not the actual video anymore (unless it's buried deep where it can't be easily found via search, and/or it's unlisted).

The session was around May of 2011. I think the "rough cut" of the "Do It Again" leaked around December 2011 (with no footage of Dave), and then at some point after that the "official" video was released, with some Dave footage added.

Obviously, bits and pieces of it are seen on the various C50 reunion videos. But it does indeed appear as though neither the rough or finished full version of the video is up on YouTube.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 277 278 279 280 281 [282] 283 284 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx