gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:12:31 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 284 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399199 times)
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6975 on: April 25, 2021, 08:36:23 AM »

Just one question on here today:

We know that Al plays on The Girl From NYC. However I’ve seen two things. I once heard that Al played rhythm guitar on the beachboysarchives.com website. Now I’m looking at new threads that say Al played bass. Which one is correct?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6976 on: April 25, 2021, 09:05:27 AM »

Well... neither as it turns out. Ray Pohlman definitely plays rhythm guitar on The Girl from New York City, and the Fender bass actually seems to be Brian playing direct while he produces. Al isn't ruled out completely but there's no evidence of his presence on the tape.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 09:06:24 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6977 on: April 25, 2021, 10:14:53 AM »

Well... neither as it turns out. Ray Pohlman definitely plays rhythm guitar on The Girl from New York City, and the Fender bass actually seems to be Brian playing direct while he produces. Al isn't ruled out completely but there's no evidence of his presence on the tape.

Well Al was known to be relatively quiet during recording sessions. Maybe that’s it? Regardless I believe you in that Brian was on bass.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6978 on: April 25, 2021, 10:17:40 AM »

Note that while Ray is playing a sort of rhythm guitar role on the track, it's on a Dano bass played in a more guitar-like manner than the usual bass type thing.

I think the best evidence that Brian's playing bass is that when they think a bass is out of tune, he doesn't ask the Fender bassist to play...
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6979 on: April 25, 2021, 10:18:45 AM »

Well Al was known to be relatively quiet during recording sessions. Maybe that’s it? Regardless I believe you in that Brian was on bass.

There's really just no room for Al to be there, in terms of everything being accounted for.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6980 on: April 25, 2021, 10:28:17 AM »

Note that while Ray is playing a sort of rhythm guitar role on the track, it's on a Dano bass played in a more guitar-like manner than the usual bass type thing.

I think the best evidence that Brian's playing bass is that when they think a bass is out of tune, he doesn't ask the Fender bassist to play...

Aha - I didn't catch that!

In terms of Brian as the potential bassist, there's also that it always seems to stop playing just before he pushes the talkback, every time, basically without fail. And the tenor of some of his instructions to the band feel as though they include himself. It isn't really clean cut, but there's more to suggest Brian playing bass than just a lack of discernible Al.
« Last Edit: April 25, 2021, 10:29:31 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6981 on: April 25, 2021, 04:59:24 PM »

I hear Brian on the backups...1975, right? High part sounds much clearer than it would later in the year (September IIRC) when he did his vocal on Back Home. What month was this?

Lol i forgot the link

https://youtu.be/zqkS0s3P7wM
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 03:35:01 PM by ♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇 » Logged

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6982 on: April 25, 2021, 05:01:48 PM »

You are correct, it was Sept. ‘75 when the track and vocals were being recorded.
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6983 on: April 25, 2021, 05:05:15 PM »

Are there any other situations like this where Brian plays bass from the control booth with the wrecking crew?
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6984 on: April 25, 2021, 05:18:57 PM »

Now that I think about it... no. Never again I think. That was the only time. This leaves one to question where Dennis was that day during the tracking session if Carl, Bruce and Brian were there playing instruments.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6985 on: April 25, 2021, 05:37:25 PM »

Are there any other situations like this where Brian plays bass from the control booth with the wrecking crew?

Thats a good question.  That might have been the only such effort with a meaningful quorum of session players around.  But Brian also played bass in the booth while producing at least two other times; Christmas Day, and Girl Don't Tell Me (although he migrated back and forth between booth and live room, there.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6986 on: April 26, 2021, 12:54:33 AM »

And on all of those, Brian played using a pick!
« Last Edit: April 26, 2021, 01:43:05 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6987 on: April 26, 2021, 06:11:16 AM »

I have only one question today (it's gonna be a busy week)...

Who played on I Can Hear Music? According to the link, c-man says that Carl played guitar, Dennis played piano, Bruce played a Fender Rhodes (I'm assuming) & Dennis also played the basic drums on the track. Then there was a drum overdub (probably Carl). I also hear sleigh bells & bass on the track but I have no idea who could've played those. I'm guessing the bass is Al. Sleigh bells, no idea, literally anyone could've played those. It's a fairly self contained record so I'd say it was one of the boys.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9788.msg170403.html#msg170403
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6988 on: April 26, 2021, 07:02:03 AM »

I have only one question today (it's gonna be a busy week)...

Who played on I Can Hear Music? According to the link, c-man says that Carl played guitar, Dennis played piano, Bruce played a Fender Rhodes (I'm assuming) & Dennis also played the basic drums on the track. Then there was a drum overdub (probably Carl). I also hear sleigh bells & bass on the track but I have no idea who could've played those. I'm guessing the bass is Al. Sleigh bells, no idea, literally anyone could've played those. It's a fairly self contained record so I'd say it was one of the boys.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9788.msg170403.html#msg170403

Sounds like you answered your own question.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6989 on: April 26, 2021, 07:07:43 AM »

I don't agree with the ICHM credits there, but... probably needs some more investigation to be sure.
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6990 on: April 26, 2021, 08:31:21 AM »

I don't agree with the ICHM credits there, but... probably needs some more investigation to be sure.

Always more investigation to do.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6991 on: April 26, 2021, 08:46:20 AM »

So it's pretty close to accurate then? I usually give my best guesses for this stuff (or at least try, when I fail). LOL
Joshilyn Hoisington
Honored Guest

Aeijtzsche

View Profile
« Reply #6992 on: April 26, 2021, 09:16:31 AM »

So it's pretty close to accurate then? I usually give my best guesses for this stuff (or at least try, when I fail). LOL

You got a few things right -- but the basic session swaps Carl for Dennis on Drums, since Dennis was on piano.  Al is playing the guitar.  The basic session is the four of them live, and this session is still audible in various ways on the final mix despite the very low prominence.  Beyond that, if we believe the footage, Carl and Dennis added the major percussion O/D, with maybe Mike adding Sleigh Bells.  There's also the footage of Dennis adding more sleigh bells and Mike adding tambourine.  No way to know who played bass but it's Carl's track so that might push the needle toward him.  There were other guitar overdubs that didn't make it to the final mix.

♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6993 on: April 26, 2021, 03:35:56 PM »

You are correct, it was Sept. ‘75 when the track and vocals were being recorded.

I forgot to post the link of the song I was talking about lol

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6994 on: April 26, 2021, 03:38:13 PM »

I forgot to post the link of the song I was talking about lol

Aw I thought you were talking about back home... yeah then I have no idea. My apologies. :/
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6995 on: April 26, 2021, 04:04:33 PM »

Might as well ask something to get it off my mind... two questions

1. Who played on I Went To Sleep? I already heard from one of the other threads on here that Jimmy Bond played double bass, Jay Migliori played flute and Brian played piano (the latter was obvious). I hear an acoustic guitar, bongos and tambourine. Also mentioned on one of those threads was a Chamberlin and I can very much hear one playing throughout the song.

2. Umm... is there a tambourine and Celeste on This Whole World? You can hear something (not a glockenspiel) at the beginning of the track and some other points in the song? Also hearing some percussion instrument being used during the verses that sounds like a tambourine, but I wouldn’t know for sure.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6996 on: April 27, 2021, 05:11:42 PM »

What keyboards were used on Sunshine? Brian, Carl, Bruce & Ricci Martin were all credited by Craig on the sessionography as being “keyboards “, yet not only do I barely hear keyboards, I dunno who played which keyboards.
nts and the drum
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6997 on: April 28, 2021, 04:35:09 PM »

Welp might as well start easy.

What keyboards were used on the single version of Cottonfields? If the keyboards are credited to Bruce and Daryl, then who played what? What keyboards can be heard in the final mix (because I don’t hear any to be honest).
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6998 on: April 29, 2021, 06:05:24 AM »

What keyboards were used on Sunshine? Brian, Carl, Bruce & Ricci Martin were all credited by Craig on the sessionography as being “keyboards “, yet not only do I barely hear keyboards, I dunno who played which keyboards.

Haven't heard the session tape, so can't say. Just going by designations on the AFM contract, which say "Kybds." for each.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6999 on: April 29, 2021, 06:06:27 AM »

Welp might as well start easy.

What keyboards were used on the single version of Cottonfields? If the keyboards are credited to Bruce and Daryl, then who played what? What keyboards can be heard in the final mix (because I don’t hear any to be honest).

Haven't heard the session tape, so can't say.  My guess would be that Bruce played organ and Daryl played piano, as those were there normal onstage instruments at the time, and this track was cut with their onstage lineup plus Red Rhodes.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 275 276 277 278 279 [280] 281 282 283 284 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx