gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:45:41 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 60 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 281 282 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399461 times)
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6900 on: January 04, 2021, 10:19:51 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:03:00 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6901 on: January 04, 2021, 10:28:05 AM »

I note that that The Beach Boys' Christmas Album has popped up at #151 on Billboard this week. Is this a regular yuletide occurrence? It's apparently notched 107 weeks on the chart over the years.

It has as of last week spent five weeks on the billboard top 200 chart. It was on the Christmas chart for years back in the ‘60’s. The number 107 is it’s peak chart position. In January 2019 it landed on the chart at 107 for one week. As of last week it spent four more weeks on the top 200 chart. The pk in the listings is for peak position. So far it has been on the top 200 chart for five weeks total.  

Thanks Steve -- I'd eventually worked most of that out. I also mentioned this on the Feel Flows thread when the nature of today's charts was being discussed, and surmised its chart appearances were down to Little Saint Nick appearing on Christmas playlists, probably more so in supermarkets and such like than on the radio.
Needleinthehay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6902 on: January 04, 2021, 09:19:54 PM »

Random question: does anyone else have a hard time listening to thoughts of you because there’s a short piano part that sounds just like the MASH theme song?
Seagull Merlin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6903 on: January 05, 2021, 04:06:10 AM »

Random question: does anyone else have a hard time listening to thoughts of you because there’s a short piano part that sounds just like the MASH theme song?

It’s definitely mixed way too loud according to my ears. I think they must have been going for a dynamics effect or something but I find it jarring. Great song though
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6904 on: January 05, 2021, 04:54:22 AM »

Doesn't bother me, but I always notice it.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6905 on: January 05, 2021, 09:11:16 AM »

Doesn't bother me, but I always notice it.

Same here. I guess when I first heard the song it jumped out more and it was a bit distracting because I immediately thought about the TV show, but over time I don't really think about it anymore when I listen to the song these days.

Was Dennis a viewer of M*A*S*H*? The show was so popular for over an entire decade, I would think it would've been next to impossible for him to have never seen the show or to have been totally unaware of the theme song, but who knows.

I doubt he was going for an intentional "homage" or direct reference, but I do wonder if he realized the similarity, but decided he liked the part anyway and just kept it in, or if there's any more to the story than that. It's also possible he didn't realize it at all, but it seems unlikely to me that nobody would've pointed it out to him at some point. The show was so popular for over an entire decade, I would think it would've been next to impossible for him to have never seen the show or to have been totally unaware of the theme song, but who knows.
Peter Reum
Honored Guest

Serving fine tortillas since 1965

View Profile
« Reply #6906 on: January 09, 2021, 09:54:05 AM »

Nice to find my original account........

If it runs amuck, call the duck
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6907 on: January 09, 2021, 10:04:13 AM »

Nice to see you here, Peter Reum.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6908 on: January 10, 2021, 09:29:29 AM »

I was told by Alan Boyd that Desper added the drums during the KTSA sessions.

"When Girls Get Together" was also apparently remixed and considered for "15 Big Ones" in 1976; there's a "15 Big One Mix" on that 2000 "Brother Rarities" compilation. None of the mixes are like night-and-day different.

I think that's possibly an error drawing on the year it was prepared - it was included in a late '76 handwritten tracklist for the 'New Album' concurrent with Love You, so it might've been slightly later around the time Brian was also mining the vaults for My Solution and Good Time. The drums heard on KTSA are present in that mix (added '76 by Brian?) while other parts like the strings are removed.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6909 on: January 10, 2021, 10:04:44 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:03:06 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #6910 on: January 10, 2021, 01:49:44 PM »

Ah 👍

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
leoleoleoleo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6911 on: January 15, 2021, 06:30:40 AM »

When did it become common knowledge that Murray was an abusive father? I've only been a fan since the mid 00's by which time Murray's overbearing nature was an indelible part of the Beach Boys story with the boys openly discussing it in interviews and biographies. Was there a single article or biography that came out and broke that particular part of the story for the first time, or is it more a case of rumours trickling out over time?

« Last Edit: January 15, 2021, 07:02:08 AM by leoleoleoleo » Logged
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6912 on: January 15, 2021, 11:49:40 AM »

The earliest account I remember is in the music press (RollingStone or another mag) around 1971.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6913 on: January 16, 2021, 05:38:51 PM »

The earliest account I remember is in the music press (RollingStone or another mag) around 1971.

Yeah, and that's when Murray was still alive!
myonlysunshine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6914 on: January 19, 2021, 10:52:36 AM »

Random, but does anyone here know where the "So Tough" subtitle part of "Carl and the Passions – So Tough" comes from and what its meaning (if any) is? The origin of the "Carl and the Passions" portion is well known, but I can't seem to find much info on the "So Tough" part. Who came up with it, and what, if anything, is it supposed to refer to?
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6915 on: January 19, 2021, 10:53:53 PM »

Random, but does anyone here know where the "So Tough" subtitle part of "Carl and the Passions – So Tough" comes from and what its meaning (if any) is? The origin of the "Carl and the Passions" portion is well known, but I can't seem to find much info on the "So Tough" part. Who came up with it, and what, if anything, is it supposed to refer to?

I've been wondering about this for a long time. Somehow I always assumed it must make perfect sense to the native speakers.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6916 on: January 24, 2021, 02:33:25 AM »

Here's a very insignificant question. I'm a big fan of the Holland album (their best group effort imho) and the picture of Brian on the sleeve has always fascinated me. He looks troubled and lost, with his hair unkempt and that grumpy (?) look on his face. I've often wondered who decided to use this picture. This looks like a snapshot that was taken on a bad day. I've been wondering if it was a deliberate decision to use a picture of Brian that portrayed him as sort of "difficult"? Maybe in order to reinforce the "genius recluse" image?
« Last Edit: January 24, 2021, 03:47:39 AM by phirnis » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6917 on: January 24, 2021, 07:18:19 AM »

Here's a very insignificant question. I'm a big fan of the Holland album (their best group effort imho) and the picture of Brian on the sleeve has always fascinated me. He looks troubled and lost, with his hair unkempt and that grumpy (?) look on his face. I've often wondered who decided to use this picture. This looks like a snapshot that was taken on a bad day. I've been wondering if it was a deliberate decision to use a picture of Brian that portrayed him as sort of "difficult"? Maybe in order to reinforce the "genius recluse" image?

Well, I would assume the pic was chosen by Reiley, as most of their career decisions at the time were made by him...
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6918 on: January 26, 2021, 08:47:02 PM »

Who plays drums on "airplane"

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6919 on: January 28, 2021, 05:37:39 AM »

Who plays drums on "airplane"

Brian Douglas Wilson.
Shady
Smiley Smile Associate

I had to fix a lot of things this morning

View Profile
« Reply #6920 on: January 28, 2021, 10:03:49 AM »

Thanks C-man. Love the drums on that one

According to someone who would know.

Seriously, there was a Beach Boys Love You condom?!  Amazing.
CakeMix
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6921 on: January 29, 2021, 11:06:09 AM »

I think Brian in the Rock and Roll to the Rescue video looked exactly like he did in the Holland photo.
Occasional grilled cheese
Smiley Smile Associate

Quickly Duncan, the strengths!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6922 on: January 29, 2021, 12:59:14 PM »

How many other people's introductions to hockey involved thinking a breakaway had something to do with The Beach Boys?

Try Q-Z-2-U-H
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6923 on: January 30, 2021, 10:43:58 PM »

I think Brian in the Rock and Roll to the Rescue video looked exactly like he did in the Holland photo.

California Dreamin' video too if I remember correctly.
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6924 on: February 01, 2021, 03:52:15 PM »

Brian just posted on FB - got his vaccine at Dodger Stadium

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 272 273 274 275 276 [277] 278 279 280 281 282 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx