gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 02:46:47 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 48 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 280 281 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399305 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6875 on: November 24, 2020, 11:26:06 PM »

Who sang the tag with Dennis on Barnyard Blues? There’s a voice I can’t quite place...

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6876 on: November 25, 2020, 05:01:01 AM »

Who sang the tag with Dennis on Barnyard Blues? There’s a voice I can’t quite place...

Carl and Ricky Fataar.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6877 on: November 25, 2020, 01:23:11 PM »

Thank you kindly....so it was Ricky that I couldn’t place

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6878 on: December 02, 2020, 02:37:52 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed that the intro of "Jackie Blue" by Ozark Mountain Daredevils from 1974 sounds nearly identical to the into of "Slip On Through" from 1970?

https://youtu.be/AtXdh2nKULw

Granted, it's brief, but the similarity is still somewhat jarring to hear!

Probably just a coincidence, but I wonder if Sunflower had subliminal inspiration.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6879 on: December 02, 2020, 07:20:40 PM »

Has anyone ever noticed that the intro of "Jackie Blue" by Ozark Mountain Daredevils from 1974 sounds nearly identical to the into of "Slip On Through" from 1970?

Probably just a coincidence, but I wonder if Sunflower had subliminal inspiration.

Never noticed that, but I have noticed how similar that Leslie'd lead guitar sound is to that of Mick Taylor's in the solo on the Stones' "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6880 on: December 02, 2020, 08:40:43 PM »

Never noticed that, but I have noticed how similar that Leslie'd lead guitar sound is to that of Mick Taylor's in the solo on the Stones' "Doo Doo Doo Doo Doo (Heartbreaker)".

Very cool.

Another funny coincidence is that "Jackie Blue" like "Slip On Through" was sung by the drummer of the band, who also was not the band's usual lead singer. I'm pretty unfamiliar with Ozark Mountain Daredevils, but here's a live 1970s video of them doing the tune.

https://youtu.be/v31wwyteRqo

All of this is probably just a coincidence, but who knows…
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6881 on: December 03, 2020, 09:29:04 PM »

Does anyone rememeber / have access to the interview from a year to a few years ago, where it was essentially a group interview, with Mike & Bruce and Brian (& Al maybe?) interviewed separately ...

It was fascinating. Mike asked at point blank if he loved Brian, about the state of the group, and more. Bruce's facial and verbal responses to Mike being asked these questions reveal the weight of the questions. They weren't expecting such direct upfront questions.

The feature showed pro-shot clips of the current band playing with an orchestra too if my memory serves me correctly.
All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6882 on: December 09, 2020, 09:54:22 AM »

Does anyone know where Brian is actually singing lead on Goin’ On and Sunshine? I don’t know if it’s because my ears or bad or the thick vocal layering, but the only place I can hear Brian is his little answer vocal on Goin’ On.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6883 on: December 10, 2020, 06:12:29 AM »

Does anyone know where Brian is actually singing lead on Goin’ On and Sunshine? I don’t know if it’s because my ears or bad or the thick vocal layering, but the only place I can hear Brian is his little answer vocal on Goin’ On.

Besides that, he's singing as part of a three-part harmony lead on both songs - on "Goin' On", I believe it's Brian-Carl-Mike on record, although live it was Brian-Al-Mike, as Carl covered the prominent background "doo-doo-doo" part like he did on record, and then of course Carl had his solo lead lines. "Sunshine" is also a three-part harmony lead, Brian-Carl-Mike, and Brian also sings the falsetto solo lines, like "Someone even half as sweet as my...". That last bit is one of my favorite Brian lines from post-1970, and shows he could still sing an acceptable, even nice, falsetto when he wanted.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6884 on: December 10, 2020, 02:59:25 PM »

Brian's pretty audible on those vocal stacks on "Sunshine", especially those falsetto-ish bits.

I've never considered anything other than Carl's bits on "Goin' On" to be a single, identifiable person singing lead. It's truly a group lead on those verses.

"Goin' On", like most of the KTSA album, is really mixed in the most mushy, flat, limp fashion imaginable. It's hard to discern individual vocal parts on that one during the vocal stacks. It's why, even though it's *too* sparse in some ways, I've always preferred the live version of "Goin' On" from their "Friday's" TV appearance. It's punchy and tight.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6885 on: December 10, 2020, 04:43:44 PM »

Brian's pretty audible on those vocal stacks on "Sunshine", especially those falsetto-ish bits.

I've never considered anything other than Carl's bits on "Goin' On" to be a single, identifiable person singing lead. It's truly a group lead on those verses.

"Goin' On", like most of the KTSA album, is really mixed in the most mushy, flat, limp fashion imaginable. It's hard to discern individual vocal parts on that one during the vocal stacks. It's why, even though it's *too* sparse in some ways, I've always preferred the live version of "Goin' On" from their "Friday's" TV appearance. It's punchy and tight.

Goin' On is such a great, great tune. In my estimation the last truly great song the original lineup band ever did. At least half of the credit should go to the soaring voice of Carl Wilson. There are moments on the song where he almost sounds like Freddie Mercury, I just wish the rock establishment took his talents as seriously as that. Carl absolutely sounds otherworldly on that song.
« Last Edit: December 10, 2020, 11:20:20 PM by CenturyDeprived » Logged
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6886 on: December 10, 2020, 07:52:08 PM »

Goin' On is probably the best Brian and Mike commercial collaboration during this time period. I don't think it's production is as outdated as some of the song on KTSA. It sounds like commercial Beach Boys. Mike seemed to like performing the song live upon release, but since it went nowhere on the charts, we can probably gather why Mike hasn't played it much since. Has Mike actually played Goin' On since the early 1980s? It seems to be a forgotten Beach Boys song. Have Brian or Mike or Bruce ever commented on Goin' On in retrospect? Of all the song that went nowhere, this one should have went somewhere, at least higher than the 80s
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6887 on: December 15, 2020, 01:36:36 AM »

Goin' On is probably the best Brian and Mike commercial collaboration during this time period. I don't think it's production is as outdated as some of the song on KTSA. It sounds like commercial Beach Boys. Mike seemed to like performing the song live upon release, but since it went nowhere on the charts, we can probably gather why Mike hasn't played it much since. Has Mike actually played Goin' On since the early 1980s? It seems to be a forgotten Beach Boys song. Have Brian or Mike or Bruce ever commented on Goin' On in retrospect? Of all the song that went nowhere, this one should have went somewhere, at least higher than the 80s

Simple, it's just not good.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6888 on: December 16, 2020, 03:17:44 AM »

I agree that Goin' On isn't one of their better songs. The thing about KTSA for me is that there are some nice ideas here and there but overall this is the band's classic line-up at its most uninspired, even worse than with M.I.U.
Join The Human Race
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6889 on: December 16, 2020, 09:22:09 AM »

Geez, I write that I think Goin On should have done better than 80 on the charts and I'm getting attacked. This board is a cancer. Bye.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6890 on: December 16, 2020, 02:23:39 PM »

Attacked? You had a couple people disagree with you, and one person agreed. That’s not an attack, that’s a difference of opinion!

All Summer Long
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6891 on: December 16, 2020, 07:47:54 PM »

Goin' On is probably the best Brian and Mike commercial collaboration during this time period. I don't think it's production is as outdated as some of the song on KTSA. It sounds like commercial Beach Boys.

As the guy who asked the question about the vocal (EDIT because I supposedly can’t type) stuff, I’m going to agree that it is definitely an awesome BB song and should have done much better.
« Last Edit: December 23, 2020, 09:24:56 AM by All Summer Long » Logged
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6892 on: December 22, 2020, 10:19:02 AM »

I note that that The Beach Boys' Christmas Album has popped up at #151 on Billboard this week. Is this a regular yuletide occurrence? It's apparently notched 107 weeks on the chart over the years.
William Bowe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6893 on: December 22, 2020, 10:21:27 AM »

Geez, I write that I think Goin On should have done better than 80 on the charts and I'm getting attacked. This board is a cancer. Bye.

What a child.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6894 on: December 25, 2020, 05:51:50 AM »

Haha pal I didn't mean to come across as attacking you. Of course we all love the Beach Boys, but I don't think Goin' On was a recipe for chart success. It doesn't mean we can't enjoy their work and have our differing opinion  Smiley
Have a Merry christmas!
patsy6
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6895 on: January 02, 2021, 09:17:44 PM »

Vive la difference! That's what I say. I love the fact that people on this board have strong opinions about individual songs, and they feel free to express them. Yes, I'm still pretty new here.  Grin As for me, I absolutely can't stand the disco version of Here Comes the Night. Yes, my hatred of anything disco is stronger than my love for the Beach Boys. Whew! I said it. It feels good. Now tell me why you love it. You won't convince me, but it might make you feel good.

On a somewhat related note, I also like this board because I feel comfortable hanging around people that are smarter than me regarding the Beach Boys. I have learned a lot here, and one of the things I've learned is that I still have a lot to learn. Another thing I've learned is that the general public (not people on this board) doesn't know a damned thing about the Beach Boys, but many people think they do.
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6896 on: January 04, 2021, 06:41:20 AM »

Here's one more of my "How much (and what kind of) input did Brian have?" questions: Brian is sometimes credited as co-writer of Take a Load off Your Feet; sometimes (more often I think?) he's not. So what's the deal? We know he sang a couple of lines and iirc it's him running around on the roof of his garage in that sound recording at the end of the song. What else? Did he help with some of the lyrics or the melody? The arrangement perhaps?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6897 on: January 04, 2021, 07:06:25 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:02:49 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6898 on: January 04, 2021, 09:51:27 AM »

That's amazing! So, at least by Mike Love standards, Brian did indeed co-write that song. Cheesy

I love to hear about Brian being involved in putting together a track on any of their albums that came immediately after Sunflower.
Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6899 on: January 04, 2021, 09:59:07 AM »

I note that that The Beach Boys' Christmas Album has popped up at #151 on Billboard this week. Is this a regular yuletide occurrence? It's apparently notched 107 weeks on the chart over the years.

It has as of last week spent five weeks on the billboard top 200 chart. It was on the Christmas chart for years back in the ‘60’s. The number 107 is it’s peak chart position. In January 2019 it landed on the chart at 107 for one week. As of last week it spent four more weeks on the top 200 chart. The pk in the listings is for peak position. So far it has been on the top 200 chart for five weeks total.  
« Last Edit: January 04, 2021, 10:12:35 AM by Steve Mayo » Logged

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 271 272 273 274 275 [276] 277 278 279 280 281 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx