gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:42:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 280 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399488 times)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6850 on: October 26, 2020, 02:43:47 PM »

Wait....he’s on Trader?

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6851 on: October 26, 2020, 03:01:25 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:48:05 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6852 on: October 26, 2020, 05:36:04 PM »

Thanks for the info! Makes me love that song even more. Brian really wasn't that inactive during the So Tough sessions - not in charge by any means but still clearly a contributing member of the band. Makes me wonder what those early 70s albums would sound like if Brian had worked on everyone's material like this. I mean, I love those records the way they are but still...

There's a change of dynamics by 1972 in that while Brian worked a lot on his own songs (discounting Marcella & SOS), he very rarely turned up to contribute to the others' sessions. I think He Come Down, California Saga and The Trader might be the only ones to break the rule. By contrast he's somewhere on every Surf's Up track save for SDT, even if his parts tend to be minimal and he was going through a writing dry spell.

Is he on "Lookin' At Tomorrow"?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6853 on: October 27, 2020, 08:45:47 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:47:57 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6854 on: October 29, 2020, 10:20:21 AM »

Thanks for the info! Makes me love that song even more. Brian really wasn't that inactive during the So Tough sessions - not in charge by any means but still clearly a contributing member of the band. Makes me wonder what those early 70s albums would sound like if Brian had worked on everyone's material like this. I mean, I love those records the way they are but still...

There's a change of dynamics by 1972 in that while Brian worked a lot on his own songs (discounting Marcella & SOS), he very rarely turned up to contribute to the others' sessions. I think He Come Down, California Saga and The Trader might be the only ones to break the rule. By contrast he's somewhere on every Surf's Up track save for SDT, even if his parts tend to be minimal and he was going through a writing dry spell.

You're certainly right about the changing dynamics. About the Surf's Up album, was it really a dry spell he was going through in terms of writing? I mean, he was working on quite a few songs that eventually didn't make the cut, like HELP Is on Its Way - or was that material from the Sunflower sessions? I always felt like the change in dynamics probably came because the band didn't want some of his songs on Surf's Up for whatever reason and that he went into a more passive aggressive mode after that, showing indifference towards most of the others' material instead of helping to make it sound good.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6855 on: October 29, 2020, 11:45:31 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:55:17 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
El Jefe
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #6856 on: November 14, 2020, 07:31:12 PM »

I have a question about the multitrack for "Ding Dang," which seems plenty insignificant for this thread:

If you listen to the first "dang" in each repetition of "ding (dang) dang (woooo!)," those "dang"s are very clearly on a separate track that's briefly unmuted. You can tell because the beginning and ending of each "dang" get clipped off.

It seems like there must have been other stuff on that track right before, and right after, each "dang," and someone wanted to keep that other stuff out of the mix. So what else is on that track? Perhaps Brian reciting the long-lost lyrics to "In My Childhood"? The backing track for the second movement of "Surf's Up"? Or, far more likely, is it just the Beach Boys screwing around?
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6857 on: November 15, 2020, 11:30:10 AM »

Doug Supernaw, who sang Long Tall Texan with The Boys on S&S, passed away.

https://www.nbcnews.com/pop-culture/pop-culture-news/doug-supernaw-country-singer-i-don-t-call-him-daddy-n1247847
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6858 on: November 15, 2020, 11:47:58 AM »

I have a question about the multitrack for "Ding Dang," which seems plenty insignificant for this thread:

If you listen to the first "dang" in each repetition of "ding (dang) dang (woooo!)," those "dang"s are very clearly on a separate track that's briefly unmuted. You can tell because the beginning and ending of each "dang" get clipped off.

It seems like there must have been other stuff on that track right before, and right after, each "dang," and someone wanted to keep that other stuff out of the mix. So what else is on that track? Perhaps Brian reciting the long-lost lyrics to "In My Childhood"? The backing track for the second movement of "Surf's Up"? Or, far more likely, is it just the Beach Boys screwing around?

Could be some naughty lyrics akin to the original version of "Ding Dang"...
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6859 on: November 16, 2020, 05:05:40 AM »

One more early 70s "What did Brian actually do?" question. It always puzzled me that Brian seemingly did not work on Marcella in terms of production, especially considering that it seems to be a favorite song of his. That said, do we know whether or not it was him who came up with the vocal arrangement, especially for the tag? Also, was it his or Carl's idea to use a zither?
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6860 on: November 16, 2020, 05:35:35 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:54:27 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6861 on: November 16, 2020, 06:51:09 AM »

Thanks! I knew it, haha - some of what's going on sounds too much like Brian had at least some influence in it.
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6862 on: November 16, 2020, 06:55:56 AM »

Thanks! I knew it, haha - some of what's going on sounds too much like Brian had at least some influence in it.

Yeah, but remember the "Brian Wilson-like" production of Sunflower's "All I Wanna Do" is actually a Carl Wilson production. Not only could Carl sound quite like Brian when singing, by this point he could also sound like him when producing...
mtaber
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6863 on: November 16, 2020, 11:51:23 AM »

Re: When Girls Get Together - it’s a song that gets stuck in my head fairly often.  I’m in the minority in saying I like it. I know RangeRover absolutely LOATHES it...
Bill M
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6864 on: November 19, 2020, 09:31:09 AM »

Re: When Girls Get Together - it’s a song that gets stuck in my head fairly often.  I’m in the minority in saying I like it. I know RangeRover absolutely LOATHES it...

I was actually thinking about this myself the other day.  When I first heard it, when KTSA was released, I absolutely hated it.  It has since grown on me so much, that I now believe that it, along with "Goin' On," are the only 2 tracks on the album that still hold up today.
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6865 on: November 19, 2020, 09:57:26 PM »

I absolutely love When Girls Get Together. Both the version from the 70's sessions and KTSA sessions have their merits.

BW, Bruce, Desper did a magnificent job with the production/arrangement. The way the vocals and instruments blend are so cool. i like the mandolins, electric keys, and percussion. Such a catchy melody. Im in the minority that digs the lyrics, just cause I find them silly.

WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6866 on: November 20, 2020, 09:58:13 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:52:51 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6867 on: November 23, 2020, 01:32:52 AM »

Yeah, but remember the "Brian Wilson-like" production of Sunflower's "All I Wanna Do" is actually a Carl Wilson production. Not only could Carl sound quite like Brian when singing, by this point he could also sound like him when producing...

Yes, don't want to diminish Carl's role who did some very creative stuff around the time. Something about the groove and vocal arrangement of "Marcella" just sounds "very Brian" to me.

Re: the other recent posts, great to see some love for "WGGT"!
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6868 on: November 23, 2020, 02:49:19 PM »

"When Girls Get Together" was also apparently remixed and considered for "15 Big Ones" in 1976; there's a "15 Big One Mix" on that 2000 "Brother Rarities" compilation. None of the mixes are like night-and-day different.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6869 on: November 23, 2020, 03:39:16 PM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:00:12 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6870 on: November 23, 2020, 11:50:39 PM »

I just had another listen, what a track! WGGT feels very Friends-like to me, such a sweet combination of instruments.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6871 on: November 24, 2020, 04:48:47 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 04:00:05 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6872 on: November 24, 2020, 08:30:53 AM »

Speaking of, any idea who's most likely to have played the marxophone? Daryl Dragon or one of the session guys?

Informed sources say it was Daryl on an overdub. Haven't heard that session tape myself.
WillJC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6873 on: November 24, 2020, 09:48:46 AM »

« Last Edit: April 23, 2021, 03:59:58 AM by SaltyMarshmallow » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6874 on: November 24, 2020, 02:32:51 PM »

"When Girls Get Together" was also apparently remixed and considered for "15 Big Ones" in 1976; there's a "15 Big One Mix" on that 2000 "Brother Rarities" compilation. None of the mixes are like night-and-day different.

I think that's possibly an error drawing on the year it was prepared - it was included in a late '76 handwritten tracklist for the 'New Album' concurrent with Love You, so it might've been slightly later around the time Brian was also mining the vaults for My Solution and Good Time. The drums heard on KTSA are present in that mix (added '76 by Brian?) while other parts like the strings are removed.

Sure, I suppose "15 Big Ones Era" would be more accurate. Had it been used as a bonus track, it apparently would have been on the "15 Big Ones" reissue back in 2000.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 270 271 272 273 274 [275] 276 277 278 279 280 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx