gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:33:42 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399210 times)
Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6425 on: March 29, 2017, 07:29:33 AM »

I was listening to "The Watch" podcast with Chris Ryan and Andy Greenwald and they were revisiting Radiohead's OK Computer album 20 years after its release. They mentioned that the song "No Surprises" is arranged with electric guitar inspired by "Wouldn't It Be Nice".

I had never heard that before and when relistening to OK Computer this morning didn't really catch the "No Surprises" and "Wouldn't It Be Nice" connection. Has this been discussed here? Nothing came up when I searched. What am I missing???
“Big Daddy”
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6426 on: April 06, 2017, 09:50:22 AM »

Very odd coincidence regarding this new R&B song up on Amazon.

For those who believe that Brian walks on water, I will always be the Antichrist.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6427 on: April 06, 2017, 10:13:28 AM »

What?   LOL LOL LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
Amalgamate
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6428 on: April 06, 2017, 09:34:00 PM »

Perhaps this has been answered, but I can't find it anywhere. Van Dyke Parks claims that he left before Brian recorded "Fire." Various bystanders claim that for "Fire" Brian had the musicians involved wear plastic firefighter helmets to "get them in the mood." Ok but...

...why does there exist a photo of what appears to be Van Dyke wearing a firefighter helmet? Did he remember wrongly and was in fact at that session? Or were the firefighter hats used for an entirely different session beforehand? Is this a fake picture? What is the truth?

I tricked a club promoter into playing "The Elements" at a show and it was *fire*.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6429 on: April 06, 2017, 10:47:39 PM »

A thread here covering the topic.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,10570.0.html
Ziggy Stardust
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6430 on: April 20, 2017, 05:43:28 PM »

Any idea if Twisted Sister & Alice Cooper "Be Chrool to Your Scuel" is a reference or parody to "Be True To Your School"?

EDIT: It had to! found my answer after long researchs in an interview of the leader of the band:
https://www.inc.com/jay-jay-french/how-chuck-berrys-musical-genius-was-also-his-financial-undoing.html
« Last Edit: April 20, 2017, 05:47:45 PM by Ziggy Stardust » Logged
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6431 on: April 26, 2017, 07:26:21 PM »

when was the last time Bruce strapped on a Bass Guitar?
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6432 on: April 27, 2017, 07:04:58 AM »

If it's literally a case of only strapping one on as opposed to actually playing it, while he's probably done it even more recently for some TV appearance or another, there's this infamous 1998 Al-less Super Bowl gig:

I think this question came up a long time ago, and I think the early-mid 80s was the last time Bruce was regularly actually playing the bass at all during shows, and even then it was usually only for a few numbers like "Barbara Ann."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #6433 on: April 27, 2017, 01:53:30 PM »

When the band was a cool jam band!

http://www.rollingstone.com/country/videos/beach-boys-cover-merle-haggards-okie-from-muskogee-w479189

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6434 on: April 27, 2017, 03:43:47 PM »

If it's literally a case of only strapping one on as opposed to actually playing it, while he's probably done it even more recently for some TV appearance or another, there's this infamous 1998 Al-less Super Bowl gig:

I think this question came up a long time ago, and I think the early-mid 80s was the last time Bruce was regularly actually playing the bass at all during shows, and even then it was usually only for a few numbers like "Barbara Ann."

What caught my eye in that photo, is Bruce is playing a 'Squire' knockoff of a 'Fender' bass.  They are a cheap instrument, not to say that they are all bad, but
it just feels like they found a bass hanging around and said 'throw this on'.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6435 on: April 28, 2017, 07:19:26 AM »

What caught my eye in that photo, is Bruce is playing a 'Squire' knockoff of a 'Fender' bass.  They are a cheap instrument, not to say that they are all bad, but
it just feels like they found a bass hanging around and said 'throw this on'.

That's probably what happened, since they were just miming for that show.

While the "Al didn't know this show was happening until he saw it on TV" story may have been overblown over the years, I will probably never be able to shake the possible image of Al sitting down in the front of the TV with some chips and dip and buffalo wings for his annual Jardine Family Super Bowl Party only to do a spit take seeing this on TV.

The more likely scenario is he just heard about it later; and I'm pretty sure by early 1998, even before Carl's death, Al sensed his days were numbered playing with Mike.

Either way, if I were Al I wouldn't be bummed about missing that cheesy Super Bowl gig. Worse than the "Dick Clark 35th Anniversary" mimed gig from '81, and that was the one where Brian was zonked and Dennis looked to be nearly passed out.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6436 on: May 02, 2017, 02:36:41 AM »

I mentioned in another topic having heard Brian doing "I'd Love Just Once To See You" at Kenwood House in June 2008. Is anyone aware of it having been performed anywhere else?

Edit: Answering my own question, it turns out he played it at the Lucky Old Sun shows in London (fifth post down):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/brian-wilson-the-2017-pet-sounds-tour-thread.607598/page-3

(Unfortunately I can't use Eric's Setlist Archive these days because of the extraneous crap I get when I'm there.)
« Last Edit: May 02, 2017, 04:22:32 AM by JK » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6437 on: May 02, 2017, 06:10:19 AM »

I mentioned in another topic having heard Brian doing "I'd Love Just Once To See You" at Kenwood House in June 2008. Is anyone aware of it having been performed anywhere else?

Edit: Answering my own question, it turns out he played it at the Lucky Old Sun shows in London (fifth post down):

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/brian-wilson-the-2017-pet-sounds-tour-thread.607598/page-3

(Unfortunately I can't use Eric's Setlist Archive these days because of the extraneous crap I get when I'm there.)

The setlist.fm website shows at least four shows in 2008 where the song was performed:

Royal Albert Hall, London
July 1, 2008

Regent Theatre, Ipswich
June 29, 2008

Kenwood House, London
June 28, 2008

State Theatre, Sydney
January 9, 2008

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6438 on: May 02, 2017, 06:23:00 AM »

The setlist.fm website shows at least four shows in 2008 where the song was performed:

Royal Albert Hall, London
July 1, 2008

Regent Theatre, Ipswich
June 29, 2008

Kenwood House, London
June 28, 2008

State Theatre, Sydney
January 9, 2008

Thanks a lot!

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
NateRuvin
Smiley Smile Associate

"I had to prove that I could make it alone"...

View Profile
« Reply #6439 on: May 08, 2017, 07:20:06 AM »

Who sings the falsetto on "In The Still Of The Night"? Brian?
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6440 on: May 08, 2017, 07:26:18 AM »

Who sings the falsetto on "In The Still Of The Night"? Brian?

Yes, it's Brian.

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,5525.msg74335.html#msg74335

SurferDownUnder
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6441 on: May 08, 2017, 02:57:17 PM »

I think if I could go back to any BB's era it would be this one, the band seems so much more comfortable playing the music, Mike doesn't seem like he has gone full bore into the nostalgia scene yet and could be convinced to take a puff or two...  Cool Guy  LOL
Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6442 on: May 27, 2017, 04:00:32 AM »

Hi all

I would like to ask about the main broken chord guitar part on Sloop John B.

It is quite easy to figure out how this part goes over the main root chord (usually Ab) and also the Eb chord.
However I have found it difficult to figure out what is played over  what I think would be the Db and Bbm chords I.e the two bars before the "(well I) feel so broke up..." bit.

I think I have described that right.

What do people play for that part?
It's hard for me to figure out from the instrumental mix though the other bars are quite clear to make out.

Ta

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6443 on: May 27, 2017, 04:48:28 AM »

like it sounds like a rundown progression? does it sound like a vocal or bass rundown?
not sure but here's a idea.
play the Db chord and move the bass note  of the chord down to a C before the Bbm.
So the run would be Db -  Db/C(bass) - Bbm

otherwise, no idea.

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6444 on: May 27, 2017, 05:31:32 AM »

Sam, this is what I hear (as a non-guitarist). Upper case (a capital letter) indicates a drop down to the next note and lower case a rise. Both chords (D♭ and B♭m) have this same eight-note pattern. Just the bass note changes.

D♭  A♭  F   g♭  F   D♭  f   a♭

You can hear it pretty clearly here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0C7VjKIpf08

Hope this helps!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6445 on: May 27, 2017, 06:07:41 AM »

What brand of hair gel does Brian use?

80% Of Success Is Showing Up
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6446 on: May 27, 2017, 06:58:23 AM »

What brand of hair gel does Brian use?

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6447 on: May 27, 2017, 07:05:36 AM »

what brand of hair gel does Mike Love use?
The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6448 on: May 27, 2017, 07:31:41 AM »

Cheesy Cheesy Cheesy

Incredibile!

The Heartical Don
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6449 on: May 27, 2017, 07:36:08 AM »

what brand of hair gel does Mike Love use?

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 253 254 255 256 257 [258] 259 260 261 262 263 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx