gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 09:58:54 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399511 times)
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #6250 on: July 20, 2016, 05:28:24 PM »

Hi, RR. According to "John" (not me) it's Billy singing in falsetto...
I read it. Is there any clue it's Billy? To me, it's typical Al (unless Billy sings falsetto similarly). Don't forget he took Brian's leads when touring. At the very least, listen to "Runaway", the falsetto there is identical to the "Surfer Girl". Back to Rocky Raccoon, he asked who sings the bridge. For reasons described, that's definitely Al.

As for ASL, it's Dennis. Pretty Funky raised logical point re: "Graduation Day".

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6251 on: July 21, 2016, 10:45:50 PM »

I'm looking to get my friend some Beach Boys albums as a birthday/graduation present later in the year, and I'd like to have an opinion on what would be great "starter" albums.

Currently, I have Pet Sounds, Friends, 20/20, Surf's Up, Holland and Love You as my picks, as I don't know what she has at the moment.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6252 on: July 21, 2016, 10:53:53 PM »

I'd replace Surf's Up with Sunflower, but other than that, great list!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Uncle Jesse
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6253 on: July 22, 2016, 08:43:21 PM »

I'm looking to get my friend some Beach Boys albums as a birthday/graduation present later in the year, and I'd like to have an opinion on what would be great "starter" albums.

Currently, I have Pet Sounds, Friends, 20/20, Surf's Up, Holland and Love You as my picks, as I don't know what she has at the moment.

Love You isn't exactly for the faint of heart, so I'm not sure if I would put that in a starter pack.  I would also put in some pre Pet Sounds stuff like Today or Summer Days/Summer Nights

"Have mmmmeeeerrrcccyyyy!" - Dennis Wilson
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6254 on: July 22, 2016, 11:36:27 PM »

Love You isn't exactly for the faint of heart, so I'm not sure if I would put that in a starter pack.  I would also put in some pre Pet Sounds stuff like Today or Summer Days/Summer Nights

I figured I could hit different eras with the different albums...

Also, with what I've found, "starter pack" has almost turned into "1966-1977".  Grin

- Pet Sounds (fully departing from the surf songs)
- Smiley Smile (lo-fi SMiLE recovery)
- Friends (short and very peaceful)
- 20/20 (last Capitol studio album)
- Carl & the Passions (new members bring new life; short and sweet)
- Surf's Up (emotional and environmental songs)
- Holland + Mt. Vernon (my favorite album)
- Love You (completely quirky and un-Beach Boy-like)

I'm trying to find a "Wild Honey*"/"20/20" two-fer and a copy of "Sunflower" at a decent price, because I'm considering adding WH and SF into the mix.

(Regarding "Wild Honey", would a duophonic stereo LP be acceptable, or would mono be proper?)
« Last Edit: July 23, 2016, 08:38:47 PM by pdas1996 » Logged
Jukka
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6255 on: July 23, 2016, 09:21:43 AM »

I'd add Little Deuce Coupe album as well. Not a single weak moment, their most solid early album.

"Surfing and cars were okay but there was a war going on."
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6256 on: July 23, 2016, 12:48:32 PM »

Love You isn't exactly for the faint of heart, so I'm not sure if I would put that in a starter pack.  I would also put in some pre Pet Sounds stuff like Today or Summer Days/Summer Nights

Personally, I'd avoid the pre-Pet Sounds album unless it was a self-made compilation with all of the weak tracks and 'chatter' tracks removed. Some of that is quite embarrassing.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6257 on: July 23, 2016, 08:41:15 PM »

Personally, I'd avoid the pre-Pet Sounds album unless it was a self-made compilation with all of the weak tracks and 'chatter' tracks removed. Some of that is quite embarrassing.

Yeah, I've taken them out on my mp3 player.

I'm still looking for a vinyl copy of "Shut Down V2" and I wouldn't mind getting the truncated "Fun, Fun, Fun" album, because the missing tracks are on the "Be True to Your School" compilation (which I already own).
phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6258 on: July 24, 2016, 03:10:38 AM »

Actually avoid Today, Summer Days, and All Summer Long because of some harmless filler/chatter tracks? Personally I think Bluebirds Over the Mountain is much worse a filler track than Bull Session with 'Big Daddy'...
Kid Presentable
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6259 on: July 24, 2016, 09:20:36 AM »

Just throwing in my 2 cents.... dunno how you can have a "beach boys starter pack" and not include anything pre-pet sounds... that's as odd to me as oh, making someone a Metallica mixtape and deciding to exclude the Cliff Burton years, or making a Nirvana mixtape and excluding anything on Sub Pop.  It is an incomplete picture of their trajectory and development and that's not what I'd want in a starter pack.

If it were me I would pick 4 albums.  The first would be a solid pre-PS record like Surfer Girl or Summer Days!, then Pet Sounds, then a post-PS Brian-era album like Sunflower or maybe Wild Honey, then your favorite of the 3 Carl-era records.

On the other hand, if what you're interested in is actually a "Brian Wilson starter pack" then that is different, and a good 4 would be Today!, Pet Sounds, Friends, and Love You.  (Then again, I really, really love Today!)

Interested listeners could likely find major differences between each of the 4 records, and dive in from there and further explore the era surrounding their preferred LP.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6260 on: July 24, 2016, 10:58:02 AM »

Actually avoid Today, Summer Days, and All Summer Long because of some harmless filler/chatter tracks? Personally I think Bluebirds Over the Mountain is much worse a filler track than Bull Session with 'Big Daddy'...

Those 'harmless' filler/chatter tracks completely ruin the flow/vibe of the albums IMHO. That's why I suggested making a comp. The singles? Absolutely. The great album tracks like 'She Knows Me Too Well'. Most definitely. 'Our Favorite Recording Sessions'? I'd rather get violated by a chupacabra. 

Your mileage may vary. For me, I'm not really a fan of a lot of early 60s (or before...) music. I'd take 'Bluebirds over the Mountain' over 'Don't hurt my little sister' any day of the week. Then again, 20/20 is a perfect album to me, and the latter is my least favorite song Brian wrote in the 60s. Again, it's personal preference.

Just throwing in my 2 cents.... dunno how you can have a "beach boys starter pack" and not include anything pre-pet sounds... that's as odd to me as oh, making someone a Metallica mixtape and deciding to exclude the Cliff Burton years, or making a Nirvana mixtape and excluding anything on Sub Pop.  It is an incomplete picture of their trajectory and development and that's not what I'd want in a starter pack.

I'm not saying not including ANYTHING pre-Pet Sounds...far too many classics for that. Just saying I wouldn't play the albums all the way through for a neophyte (although All Summer Long comes close for me).

Da Doo Ron Ron
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6261 on: July 27, 2016, 05:00:20 PM »

On Barbara Ann was Dean Torrence doing the high part by himself or was he doubled by Brian? I listened to the session outtake on the Hawthorne, CA cd today and I couldn't really tell.
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6262 on: July 27, 2016, 05:16:35 PM »

Your mileage may vary. For me, I'm not really a fan of a lot of early 60s (or before...) music. I'd take 'Bluebirds over the Mountain' over 'Don't hurt my little sister' any day of the week. Then again, 20/20 is a perfect album to me, and the latter is my least favorite song Brian wrote in the 60s. Again, it's personal preference.

Obviously just talking opinion here... no right or wrong answers... but why is DTMLS your least fave BW song of that decade? Is it just the lyrics that make you feel that way, or do you not dig the instrumental track too?
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6263 on: July 27, 2016, 06:02:40 PM »

The melody doesn't do anything for me.

CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6264 on: July 27, 2016, 06:16:20 PM »

The melody doesn't do anything for me.

Right on man. I totally dig the melody, but to each his own. I think I'll save that designation of least fave BW track for I Just Got My Pay. Probably because of the lyrics. Blech!
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6265 on: July 27, 2016, 07:36:58 PM »

I actually LIKE IJGMP, although to be honest, I don't pay attention to lyrics too much!

bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6266 on: July 27, 2016, 09:20:53 PM »

On Barbara Ann was Dean Torrence doing the high part by himself or was he doubled by Brian? I listened to the session outtake on the Hawthorne, CA cd today and I couldn't really tell.
Indeed, they both share the high falsetto
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6267 on: July 28, 2016, 06:28:24 AM »

did Cher really sing on the backup vocals on 'be my baby' by the ronettes, and 'you've lost that loving feeling' by the righteous bros???
wiki says so, that's all.  I didn't know this.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6268 on: July 28, 2016, 12:36:44 PM »

Are there any pictures or videos of the brief period in 1998 when Al was still in The Beach Boys after Carl had already passed?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Bardley
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6269 on: July 29, 2016, 04:27:42 PM »

Who says "Hi" at the beginning of 'The Trader'? I assume it is one of the Beach Boys' kids, but have never heard any mention of it.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6270 on: July 29, 2016, 04:32:46 PM »

Who says "Hi" at the beginning of 'The Trader'? I assume it is one of the Beach Boys' kids, but have never heard any mention of it.

Jonah

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6271 on: July 29, 2016, 06:09:35 PM »

If I was introducing someone to the Beach Boys, I get them Sounds of Summer, Warmth of the Sun and Pet Sounds.

Sounds of Summer for the early hits. Warmth of the Sun for the deep cuts and lesser hits. Pet Sounds because it's, well, Pet Sounds. Add in whatever your favorite post Pet Sounds albums are and you have a nice collection.
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6272 on: July 29, 2016, 06:36:46 PM »

did Cher really sing on the backup vocals on 'be my baby' by the ronettes, and 'you've lost that loving feeling' by the righteous bros???
wiki says so, that's all.  I didn't know this.

Re 'Be My Baby'.

Yes according to Hal Blaine.

https://www.theguardian.com/culture/2015/nov/17/how-we-made-the-ronettes-be-my-baby-ronnie-spector-phil
« Last Edit: July 29, 2016, 06:39:57 PM by Pretty Funky » Logged
Zander
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6273 on: August 04, 2016, 08:15:52 AM »

Sorry I've had to resort to this - I've used the search feature, Google etc before coming here.

Someone posted a while back that Brian is releasing a solo Best of this year (or at least that's what I remember reading here).

Is this true? Do we have any further details / track listing / label / formats etc?

Thanks,

Zander

They say I got brains but they ain't doing me no good, I wish they could...
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6274 on: August 04, 2016, 08:52:13 AM »

Are there any pictures or videos of the brief period in 1998 when Al was still in The Beach Boys after Carl had already passed?

Not that I've seen. As far as I've heard, he wasn't even "in the band" through 1998 up to a certain point. Rather, he did as few as two gigs (or maybe even just one?) several months into the year (the one I know of for sure is from May) that had contracted specifically to include him. At least one of those gigs was a charity show, which sometimes are even more obscure and less publicized.

It appears that starting in 1998, Mike was booking gigs (without Al, and both with and without Bruce) under the "California Beach Band" name, and only a few gigs (including presumably the May charity show with Al) used the BB name. Eventually, non-exclusive licenses were obtained and Mike (along with Bruce and initially Dave) went back to using the BB name.

But in general, there seems to be comparatively little audio, video, and stills from the 1997 tour and early-mid 1998 tours. I would imagine it was a mixture of there simply being less interest (in 1997 the BB's weren't doing anything new and were doing pretty unadventurous shows), and perhaps some fans were less inclined to take pics in 1997 of the band when Carl wasn't doing too well. I think another segment of fans lost interest in 1998 after Carl died.

I think the closest to the couple of 1998 gigs you could get in terms of pics or footage would be late 1997 shows. Here is a pretty distant video of a late 1997 gig with Al and Dave after Carl's departure:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dAq_b24unjg

I also vaguely recall seeing a late 1997 report on one of those crappy "news magazines" like Inside Edition or something like that, reporting on Dave's return to the band. That had a little bit of live footage.

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 246 247 248 249 250 [251] 252 253 254 255 256 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx