gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 07:27:35 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 (+ 1 Hidden) and 58 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399453 times)
Tacos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6175 on: May 15, 2016, 04:22:03 PM »

Good work.
KDS
« Reply #6176 on: May 16, 2016, 05:30:37 AM »

Looks like Herschel from The Walking Dead, played by Scott Wilson (no relation). 
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #6177 on: May 19, 2016, 01:21:11 PM »

Have been listening to The Beach Boys Story, a program which originally aired in 1974. It's an excellent history of the group.
4 one-hour episodes have aired so far, 2 to go.

The rebroadcasts can be heard on BBC Radio 6 for the next several weeks.

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #6178 on: May 19, 2016, 05:11:17 PM »

Could it be possible that The Beach Boys' performances are amongst this?

http://reelinintheyears.com/rity-now-reps-the-david-frost-show-1969-1972/

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6179 on: May 22, 2016, 12:28:37 AM »

Do you meet Brian before or after the concert if one has a meet & greet?
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6180 on: May 22, 2016, 02:39:28 AM »

I have not done one but from reading this board I'm pretty sure others have said it is prior.
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6181 on: May 22, 2016, 04:25:03 AM »

It's before the gig, about 5-5.30pm to be more precise

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6182 on: May 22, 2016, 08:38:48 AM »

In Dallas it was at 3:30. The concert entry began at 6:00. So I'd guess, based on John Manning's answer, that it's usually 2.5 to 3 hrs. before concert doors open.
brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6183 on: May 23, 2016, 12:00:57 AM »

Thanks for the replies guys! I was fortunate enough to get one, but no where in the ticket states when the meet & greet will take place.
MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6184 on: May 23, 2016, 07:39:12 AM »

Question,

When I saw the M&B Beach Boys in February, they performed Their Hearts Were Full of Spring at a much faster, crisper pace than I'd ever heard it before. The arrangement was excellent, but I was surprised to hear the song done so briskly. Is this arrangement a new one (reason?), or has the song been performed this way previously by the Four Freshmen or the BBs?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R8JhimntGsg

MyDrKnowsItKeepsMeCalm
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6185 on: May 23, 2016, 07:44:37 AM »

Right after I asked that question, Youtube linked me to this 1965 performance by the original BBs and it is the very same 'faster' arrangement.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=eygnj-QTMhU

So I guess there are (loosely) two different BBs arrangements for the song? I'd only heard M&B do the 'slower' one in recent years, so no big deal but I'm still curious why they changed it up.

Marty Castillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6186 on: June 02, 2016, 12:17:27 PM »

I was doing some research on the Beach Boys past political involvement (I wonder why  Grin ) and came across this article about Brian's arrest at the 1984 Republican National Convention:

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08/19/Beach-Boys-leader-Brian-Wilson-was-arrested-at-the/4852461736000/

My question, who were the two men, Carlos Edward Booker and Marcus Gregory Dahlke, with Brian? Were these some of Landy's goons? I can't find any additional information on whether they plead out on possessing a "large quantity of pills".
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 12:21:53 PM by Marty Castillo » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6187 on: June 02, 2016, 12:37:47 PM »

I was doing some research on the Beach Boys past political involvement (I wonder why  Grin ) and came across this article about Brian's arrest at the 1984 Republican National Convention:

http://www.upi.com/Archives/1984/08/19/Beach-Boys-leader-Brian-Wilson-was-arrested-at-the/4852461736000/

My question, who were the two men, Carlos Edward Booker and Marcus Gregory Dahlke, with Brian? Were these some of Landy's goons? I can't find any additional information on whether they plead out on possessing a "large quantity of pills".

You're right about those two. To quote from "Brian's" Acknowledgements in the opening pages of Wouldn't It Be Nice

"I want to thank some of my friends who have helped me so much, among them: ... Dr. Arnold Dahlke; ...  Thanks also to these other close friends who stuck with me through thick and thicker [this is Brian speaking!]: ... Carlos Booker; ...  Greg Dahlke; ... Leslie Moore Dahlke ..."  Grin

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6188 on: June 02, 2016, 01:18:31 PM »

In retrospect, that "large quantity of pills" gives me shivers.
Also, your post, right up until "Were these some of Landy's goons" brought to mind Oswald conspiracy theories - he was arrested at a political convention - my question, who were the two men, some name, some other name, with him?
Was Brian in a dark assassination plot?  LOL
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6189 on: June 02, 2016, 01:22:06 PM »

Also, your post, right up until "Were these some of Landy's goons" brought to mind Oswald conspiracy theories - he was arrested at a political convention - my question, who were the two men, some name, some other name, with him?
Was Brian in a dark assassination plot?  LOL

I can imagine that Landy had a giant grassy knoll of grass, that he broke off small chunks of and rolled up into joints for Brian Smiley

Speaking of Landy's grassy knoll, what was the deal with letting Brian toke up? I have no issue with toking, but I guess it seems a bit odd that he let Brian toke. Maybe it was just a way of making things easier on Brian than having Brian quit EVERYTHING cold turkey. What was Landy's rule? One joint per day if Brian wrote a song?
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6190 on: June 02, 2016, 01:39:50 PM »

Was Brian in a dark assassination plot?  LOL

I can imagine that Landy had a giant grassy knoll of grass, that he broke off small chunks of and rolled up into joints for Brian Smiley

Speaking of Landy's grassy knoll, what was the deal with letting Brian toke up? I have no issue with toking, but I guess it seems a bit odd that he let Brian toke. Maybe it was just a way of making things easier on Brian than having Brian quit EVERYTHING cold turkey. What was Landy's rule? One joint per day if Brian wrote a song?
I think that's right. It was a bribe for cooperating with the business.
« Last Edit: June 02, 2016, 02:08:57 PM by Emily » Logged
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6191 on: June 07, 2016, 12:51:52 AM »

What's the quote of Brian about Suicide and why you shouldn't do it?

It's somewhat urgent at this stage, I have a friend who's in a bit of a bad state, and I'm seriously concerned about what he may do.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6192 on: June 07, 2016, 02:15:34 AM »

It's somewhat urgent at this stage, I have a friend who's in a bit of a bad state, and I'm seriously concerned about what he may do.

"It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not."

My thoughts are with your friend.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6193 on: June 07, 2016, 02:22:39 AM »

I don't know what country you're in, but if in the US, at least, you can search for suicide hotlines. Even if your friend won't call, the professionals can probably give you good advice.
My hopes are with you.
bluesno1fann
« Reply #6194 on: June 07, 2016, 02:52:15 AM »

"It only makes things worse. You can't solve anything by killing yourself. I mean, things can only get better, but if you're dead, they may not."

I don't know what country you're in, but if in the US, at least, you can search for suicide hotlines. Even if your friend won't call, the professionals can probably give you good advice.
My hopes are with you.

Much appreciated you guys. Should add that neither of us are in the US; I'm in Australia and he lives in Korea. Still, I'm doing all I can to help him, trying my best
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6195 on: June 07, 2016, 05:39:19 AM »

Best wishes for your friend.

“We live in divisive times.”
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6196 on: June 09, 2016, 12:05:17 PM »

I don't really think this is insignificant, but I don't want to derail another thread, and I don't want it to develop into an extensive conversation:
What was the legal arrangement for the reunion tour? Was Mike Love still holding the licensed name? And the tour was under that license? Or had Mike Love temporarily leased the license to a separate entity for the duration of the tour?

The reason I ask is that, if Mike Love was holding the name, and if he made the choice for BW and AJ to stop touring under that name, did he not in effect 'fire' them from the touring Beach Boys?
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6197 on: June 09, 2016, 12:12:27 PM »

I don't really think this is insignificant, but I don't want to derail another thread, and I don't want it to develop into an extensive conversation:
What was the legal arrangement for the reunion tour? Was Mike Love still holding the licensed name? And the tour was under that license? Or had Mike Love temporarily leased the license to a separate entity for the duration of the tour?

The reason I ask is that, if Mike Love was holding the name, and if he made the choice for BW and AJ to stop touring under that name, did he not in effect 'fire' them from the touring Beach Boys?

I believe it was a separate production that Joe Thomas set up.  After C50, things went back to how they were in 2011.  So Mike was holding the license, but it was inactive in 2012 (until October that is).  Someone else can verify or tell me that I'm wrong. 
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6198 on: June 09, 2016, 12:13:27 PM »

I believe it was a separate production that Joe Thomas set up.  After C50, things went back to how they were in 2011.  So Mike was holding the license, but it was inactive in 2012 (until October that is).  Someone else can verify or tell me that I'm wrong. 
That would make sense.
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6199 on: June 09, 2016, 12:14:40 PM »

The best we know, Mike’s tour is run through his own company (“Meleco” I believe is the name), and that company licenses the BB name solely for touring purposes from BRI.

For C50, it was not a “Meleco” operation. It was run by “50 Big Ones Productions” which consisted of Joe Thomas, Brian, and Mike. Everybody else (including presumably Al, Bruce, and Dave) were salaried.

As for the disposition of the license during that time, I don’t know if they needed to write into any contracts that BRI was essentially suspending Mike’s exclusive license during the C50 dates. As everybody including Mike was on board for that tour/project, Mike’s agreement to allow another company (50 Big Ones, one that included him) to use the name was certain implicit. I’m sure everybody involved got it all in writing as needed.

I would guess Mike’s license was always in effect, and he simply agreed to not book shows himself during the duration of C50. Indeed, Mike did at least one gig in 2012 *prior* to the reunion tour (an April 1 benefit show done by Mike’s touring band), was back out touring with his license literally a day or two after the final Wembley C50 date, doing his first post-C50 date around September 30th or so of 2012, and continuing with shows in October and so on.

I would guess Mike didn’t “sub-license” the name back to “50 Big Ones”, as I would assume his exclusive license would most likely not allow him to sub-license it to anyone, and a simple BRI vote could have (or perhaps did) invoke the setup that they used on C50.
« Last Edit: May 22, 2019, 07:58:58 AM by HeyJude » Logged

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 243 244 245 246 247 [248] 249 250 251 252 253 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx