gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680751 Posts in 27615 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 06:56:45 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406531 times)
Misterlou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5625 on: July 13, 2015, 08:38:45 PM »

If Nick Kent is to be believed, why did Brian refer to Smile, or Mrs. O'Leary's Cow, as witchcraft music? Or was it Pet Sounds, as I've read articles where he allegedly described both works using that term. Anyway, sounds a little far-fetched to me.
« Last Edit: July 13, 2015, 08:40:16 PM by Misterlou » Logged
GuyO
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5626 on: July 14, 2015, 04:33:19 AM »

I have a question

I heard that Bruce played (or mimed?) guitar at a 2011 gig. Is this true? And if so, does anyone have any pictures???

Yes, true. It was a charity performance in the UK on a stage so small it couldn't fit Bruce's keyboard. Don't have a picture though.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5627 on: July 14, 2015, 07:18:53 AM »

What's the story behind the instrumental "Why" on the Made in California compilation?

It sounds like it could be from the Paley sessions, but I can't find anything on it.
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5628 on: July 14, 2015, 07:39:11 AM »

What's the story behind the instrumental "Why" on the Made in California compilation?

It sounds like it could be from the Paley sessions, but I can't find anything on it.
It's off the MIU sessions - November 18th, 1977.

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
Rocket
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5629 on: July 14, 2015, 07:45:37 AM »

I see, thank you!
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5630 on: July 14, 2015, 09:42:08 AM »

An instrumental named "Why" on the very same day I was born?  Oh, gee, thanks BBs...

So this showed up in my Twitter feed via BBC:

http://lightyear.fm/?ocid=socialflow_twitter

It's a simulation of what music you would be hearing if you were traveling away (or towards, if you're running it in reverse) from the Earth.  You can also mouse over the stars (space, not people) for their names.  The only Beach Boys song that showed up was "I Get Around" (1964, of course).

The song clips that were included are sometimes eyebrow raisers.  For example, the first song by any (former) Beatle was Paul's "Say Say Say", and the clip wasn't even of Paul singing.  It was Michael Jackson.  The second (former) Beatle song was Paul's "Black and White", and again it wasn't of him singing.  It was Stevie Wonder.  His voice doesn't even show up until they start bringing up actual Beatles songs, and once they do, they do it with a vengeance.  Probably unsurprisingly, "I Get Around" got sandwiched (at least when I ran the page, it seems to select the clips randomly) between two Beatles songs.

The quality of the sound broke up for me roughly every decade.  So you guys might not want to actually look just for three seconds of Mike's voice.  But it was still fun imagining a "Squire of Gothos" situation of a planet listening to Earth's stuff.
« Last Edit: July 14, 2015, 09:55:52 AM by Komera » Logged

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5631 on: July 14, 2015, 11:06:36 AM »

In the intro to Wontcha Come Out Tonight: is Mike singing against a wall-of-Als?

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
DC310
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5632 on: July 14, 2015, 11:59:15 AM »

Maybe this is the place to ask: Back Home off the Made In California Box Set (not the 1970 version)-- is that just Brian on all the background vocals?  I know he is singing the lead and the high part, but wonder if the rest is him as well.
JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5633 on: July 14, 2015, 12:02:07 PM »

The "Beatles Heard Smile" thread made me think of this, and didn't want to post it there and derail the conversation, but is it for sure that BW was once considered to be on the Sgt. Pepper cover?  I remember in the Priore book it has that picture, and says they ended up not using his statue.  Is that true, or was it just speculation that that was BW?
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5634 on: July 14, 2015, 02:07:25 PM »

In the intro to Wontcha Come Out Tonight: is Mike singing against a wall-of-Als?

From memory I think Brian is in there.
D409
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5635 on: July 14, 2015, 02:48:29 PM »

Just bumping this from the "Mid '80s Yamaha Keyboard" thread, but what's with Bruce giving Foskett a little slap around the chops at 6.40/6.41 ?  Huh

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KMyVjodwCHY&feature=youtu.be
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5636 on: July 14, 2015, 11:59:56 PM »

The "Beatles Heard Smile" thread made me think of this, and didn't want to post it there and derail the conversation, but is it for sure that BW was once considered to be on the Sgt. Pepper cover?  I remember in the Priore book it has that picture, and says they ended up not using his statue.  Is that true, or was it just speculation that that was BW?

The pic shows a guy in bathing trunks who might look vaguely like Brian, if you really thought about it hard. If you didn't know the (tenuous) connection, the thought wouldn't occur. Looks more like Paul Dano, if you ask me.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5637 on: July 16, 2015, 12:28:25 PM »

What do you guys think of this Good Vibrations cover (original lyrics!) by Secret Chiefs 3 featuring Gregg Turkington aka Neil Hambuger aka star of Ant-Man on vocals?

I think it's really cool!!

https://youtu.be/I56Hmf7wKUY
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5638 on: July 16, 2015, 01:08:52 PM »

It was excellent right up to the point they started "singing", and then it all turned brown and started smelling funny.

JasonK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5639 on: July 16, 2015, 02:12:16 PM »

Thank you, AGD, for answering my question.
Cabinessenceking
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5640 on: July 17, 2015, 03:07:11 AM »

What do you guys think of this Good Vibrations cover (original lyrics!) by Secret Chiefs 3 featuring Gregg Turkington aka Neil Hambuger aka star of Ant-Man on vocals?

I think it's really cool!!

https://youtu.be/I56Hmf7wKUY

truly awful vocals.
interesting take on the backing track though.
Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5641 on: July 19, 2015, 02:06:12 PM »

This discussion mentions that a Japanese BBs compilation will feature liner notes by the novelist  Haruki Murakami. I hope someone eventually translates them into English as I'd like to hear what he has to say. His works are full of references to Western music and discussion of the same, especially classical and jazz, but pop and rock too.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/two-beach-boys-reissues-coming-from-japan-july-2015-us-single-collection-3shm-cd-cd-rom.436018/#post-12330277

Please delete my account
elnombre
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5642 on: July 19, 2015, 02:15:53 PM »

This discussion mentions that a Japanese BBs compilation will feature liner notes by the novelist  Haruki Murakami. I hope someone eventually translates them into English as I'd like to hear what he has to say. His works are full of references to Western music and discussion of the same, especially classical and jazz, but pop and rock too.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/two-beach-boys-reissues-coming-from-japan-july-2015-us-single-collection-3shm-cd-cd-rom.436018/#post-12330277

Very interesting! One of my favourite writers.
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5643 on: July 20, 2015, 02:19:51 AM »

I asked this question several years ago, but I can't find the thread or remember the answer, so I'll ask again. What's the story behind the "Little Surfer Girl" fragment on the Good Vibrations box set?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5644 on: July 20, 2015, 02:55:56 AM »

It's a fragment of a song Brian and Bob wrote for Vicki Korcher. Lee will have the full skinny, and Jim also covers it in his utterly outstanding new book.

Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5645 on: July 20, 2015, 03:12:31 AM »

It's a fragment of a song Brian and Bob wrote for Vicki Korcher. Lee will have the full skinny, and Jim also covers it in his utterly outstanding new book.
Thanks for that.  Smiley Why is it only a fragment? Is the original tape damaged, and this is all that was salvageable?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
petsoundsnola
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5646 on: July 20, 2015, 07:59:13 AM »

Regarding the Soulful Old Man Sunshine writing excerpt on Endless Harmony - I love this demo with Brian and Rick Henn.  Does anyone know if the entire song was played or just this section?
undercover-m
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5647 on: July 22, 2015, 05:16:52 PM »

i passed by a wonderful little used bookstore and saw this in the window:
http://www.citylights.com/book/?GCOI=87286100558220

"... the Beach Boys' Brian Wilson and Nathaniel Hawthorne intersect as representatives of west coast hedonism and east coast Puritanism..."

Anyone know/read this? I just instantly recognized the face on the cover... I didn't buy it because I need to save up for a lot of different things, but if it's a really good read I can splurge Tongue. Amazon gives it a pretty high rating, and I am quite fascinated with romantic ideals. Emerson was the MAN.

"We are pushed to the wall as the heap fills the room to its limits. The window breaks. The house bursts. A heartbreakingly fine Scotch plaid passes before our eyes. Pinstripes carry us into Manhasset Bay."
chaki
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5648 on: July 22, 2015, 07:46:59 PM »

hey what do you guys think of this cool pin i bought from my creepy neighbor at his garage sale?

Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5649 on: July 22, 2015, 07:50:14 PM »

hey what do you guys think of this cool pin i bought from my creepy neighbor at his garage sale?

Toothy
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 221 222 223 224 225 [226] 227 228 229 230 231 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx