gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680827 Posts in 27616 Topics by 4067 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 25, 2024, 04:37:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
GoodVibrations33 and 19 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1409673 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5525 on: June 06, 2015, 12:30:50 AM »

If it's dated post- 5/98, yes indeed.  Wink

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5526 on: June 06, 2015, 01:50:51 AM »

Did Dennis perform "Roller Skating Child" with the group whenever it was played live? I know that during that time period Dennis would refuse to take part in certain songs when they were performed.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #5527 on: June 06, 2015, 02:13:42 AM »

Did Dennis perform "Roller Skating Child" with the group whenever it was played live? I know that during that time period Dennis would refuse to take part in certain songs when they were performed.
Which songs did he refuse to play and why? Wasn't Heroes and Villains one of them?

And here's one important thing I've been wondering. Did Dennis put something to his hair, or was it always natural? He had the best hair like ever, why did he cut it short in the 80's?
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5528 on: June 06, 2015, 02:49:10 AM »

Which songs did he refuse to play and why? Wasn't Heroes and Villains one of them?

And here's one important thing I've been wondering. Did Dennis put something to his hair, or was it always natural? He had the best hair like ever, why did he cut it short in the 80's?
Lady Lynda was one that was played by Bobby Figuroa(apologies for possible misspelling). I think Dennis left the stage for that one. I think Dennis let Bobby take over for certain songs that he wasn't very fond of(to put it nicely).  Grin

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5529 on: June 06, 2015, 02:58:03 AM »

Lady Lynda was one that was played by Bobby Figuroa(apologies for possible misspelling). I think Dennis left the stage for that one. I think Dennis let Bobby take over for certain songs that he wasn't very fond of(to put it nicely).  Grin

Thought Al credited him with helping to arrange the vocals on that one?
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5530 on: June 06, 2015, 06:53:17 AM »

I don't hear it as "Keep dreamin' 'bout darlin'" in "Darlin". It's more of a gibberish a la Jan & Dean or some of their own stuff. "Ohh...Dig-dig-a-lig darlin' cookoo nah darlin' you're so fine" - sth. like that.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5531 on: June 06, 2015, 09:44:21 AM »

Ok, I put this on Center-Cut in foobar2000 and it is fairly clear that Carl sings "I keep dreamin' of Darlin', with the slang more like "I keep dreamin' a Darlin'". The "I" is buried a bit in the Ahhhh background vocals.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5532 on: June 06, 2015, 10:05:16 AM »

Fair point. Then he must be a fast talker because as is it does not sound "keep dreamin'" at all.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5533 on: June 06, 2015, 10:12:29 AM »

Fair point. Then he must be a fast talker because as is it does not sound "keep dreamin'" at all.
Check you audio player for an isolation DSP. With the background vocals lowered it sounds pretty clean. The problem in the song is that the lead & background vocals are almost equal in volume.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5534 on: June 06, 2015, 10:16:22 AM »

I will, but I meant that in a usual form the Darlin' intro sounds as gibberish. No "keep dreamin'" what others suggested, that's all.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5535 on: June 06, 2015, 10:28:33 AM »

I will, but I meant that in a usual form the Darlin' intro sounds as gibberish. No "keep dreamin'" what others suggested, that's all.

yeah, ya know when I have my neighbor play Darlin when I'm not there, its really hard for me to pick out the lyrics at all.

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5536 on: June 06, 2015, 10:59:17 AM »

yeah, ya know when I have my neighbor play Darlin when I'm not there, its really hard for me to pick out the lyrics at all.
Then go inside and listen to it together like 2 pals. What's the deal?
 Just heard Darlin' for nth time for the sake of it. Nope, still no 'Keep dreamin'. I'm sure some hear as I do too.

ivrimark
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5537 on: June 06, 2015, 11:34:14 AM »

Prolly my favorite Beach Boys moments come when I hear a lyric for the umpteenth time -- I mean, for YEARS -- as one thing (or just dit-di-di-dit, like this Darlin' intro) and then I find out it's something else.

And just because the official copyrighted lyrics might say "Keep dreamin' 'bout Darlin'" (and thus are covered by others that way) doesn't mean the original BB recording does.  Could be Carl just sings "di-di-dit." (except we now know from the Good Doctor's hi-tech audio that he doesn't.)

So, drbeachboy, what's Dennis singing in the bridge of "He Come Down"? You know what I mean: that "Plain to see. .." part.  Put that on your Center-Cut so I can die an untroubled man.
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5538 on: June 06, 2015, 12:42:08 PM »

Prolly my favorite Beach Boys moments come when I hear a lyric for the umpteenth time -- I mean, for YEARS -- as one thing (or just dit-di-di-dit, like this Darlin' intro) and then I find out it's something else.

And just because the official copyrighted lyrics might say "Keep dreamin' 'bout Darlin'" (and thus are covered by others that way) doesn't mean the original BB recording does.  Could be Carl just sings "di-di-dit." (except we now know from the Good Doctor's hi-tech audio that he doesn't.)

So, drbeachboy, what's Dennis singing in the bridge of "He Come Down"? You know what I mean: that "Plain to see. .." part.  Put that on your Center-Cut so I can die an untroubled man.
Please feel free to try it yourself. Foobar & the center-cut DSP plugin are both FREE. Right now, I am readying my yard for a new above ground pool. So in and out all weekend. It works great on a lot of songs. Prior to the MIC release I could never make out the background vocals on Slip On Through. The DSP separated the lead and background vocals and isolated it enough to make out the wording. Anyway, back to work.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5539 on: June 06, 2015, 01:53:49 PM »

Please feel free to try it yourself. Foobar & the center-cut DSP plugin are both FREE. Right now, I am readying my yard for a new above ground pool. So in and out all weekend.

Your wife must be really patient and loving to put up with all that while the contractor gets the yard ready

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5540 on: June 06, 2015, 02:03:48 PM »

Please feel free to try it yourself. Foobar & the center-cut DSP plugin are both FREE. Right now, I am readying my yard for a new above ground pool. So in and out all weekend.

Your wife must be really patient and loving to put up with all that while the contractor gets the yard ready
Just prep work for this guy. I'm getting too old for that sh*t. Wink

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5541 on: June 07, 2015, 02:26:29 AM »

See? I hear it as "dig-a-lig", you hear as "dit-dit", smb. else - another thing. If you checked the Misheard lyrics thread, you'd have seen there was a small debate about "Darlin'" & few posters heard ANYthing but "Keep dreamin'". This bunch can't be fools & have collective hearing issue. So by logic we can say that all these accounts have merit despite the technical evidence told by drbeachboy. I mean, we *know* it's wrong, but the discussion wasn't about being right or wrong; we were just saying how *each* of us heard the song's intro. Thanks to drbeachboy for the heads-up, tho. I'm going to d/l those plug-ins.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5542 on: June 07, 2015, 05:35:19 AM »

See? I hear it as "dig-a-lig", you hear as "dit-dit", smb. else - another thing. If you checked the Misheard lyrics thread, you'd have seen there was a small debate about "Darlin'" & few posters heard ANYthing but "Keep dreamin'". This bunch can't be fools & have collective hearing issue. So by logic we can say that all these accounts have merit despite the technical evidence told by drbeachboy. I mean, we *know* it's wrong, but the discussion wasn't about being right or wrong; we were just saying how *each* of us heard the song's intro. Thanks to drbeachboy for the heads-up, tho. I'm going to d/l those plug-ins.
I have no problem with how you hear it, but the original person who asked wanted to know if anybody knew what was being said. Hell, I wouldn't have even bothered otherwise. I took an interest because it is one of my favorite songs by my favorite singer.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5543 on: June 07, 2015, 06:31:49 AM »

the original person who asked wanted to know if anybody knew what was being said.
"Anybody", yes. I thought to chip in to tell it may very well be just a nonsense until after you came with proof which I'm not disputing, but it's not *as* I hear the intro. Some others, seems, too.

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5544 on: June 07, 2015, 07:14:50 AM »

the original person who asked wanted to know if anybody knew what was being said.
"Anybody", yes. I thought to chip in to tell it may very well be just a nonsense until after you came with proof which I'm not disputing, but it's not *as* I hear the intro. Some others, seems, too.
I understand how it could be heard differently. Shoot, I had to partially isolate it to confirm what was being sung. Like I said earlier, the fact that all of the vocals are equal in the mix does make it difficult to hear clearly.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
Amen.  ---hypehat
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5545 on: June 09, 2015, 04:33:11 AM »

What is the origin of the term Surf Nazi and its association with Landy and his crew? I've often heard it referred to when discussing Landy's "body guards" and assistants. Was it a term Landy himself called them or a negative term by fans of the public?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Bittersweet-Sanity
Smiley Smile Associate

Busy Doin' Nothing

View Profile
« Reply #5546 on: June 09, 2015, 04:46:08 AM »

i think it can be attributed to people like Lindsey Buckingham and Russ Titelman. It's usually used when referring to Kevin S. Leslie, Brian's main handler who was a 20something young dude w/ a surfer bod and a blond ponytail.

There's a video of Mike Love on A Current Affair where he refers to them as the Psycho Roadies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56ecdZ1-As
« Last Edit: June 09, 2015, 04:48:36 AM by Bittersweet-Sanity » Logged

"It looks like I'm going to have to go bananas all by myself." -B.W.

"Dr. Landy and Brian Wilson are right out of a storybook." -Brian Wilson

"So maybe Beach Boys fans are stupid and we can dismiss the whole thing. But maybe that's a pretty snotty attitude to take; maybe something is happening here that we just ought to know about" -Paul Williams

"Brian is an enigma, a leprechaun," said rhythm guitarist Al Jardine.

"There ain't a rocketship powerfull enough to be able to blast Jeff's fat ass into space."-Mike's Beard
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5547 on: June 09, 2015, 01:48:35 PM »

i think it can be attributed to people like Lindsey Buckingham and Russ Titelman. It's usually used when referring to Kevin S. Leslie, Brian's main handler who was a 20something young dude w/ a surfer bod and a blond ponytail.

There's a video of Mike Love on A Current Affair where he refers to them as the Psycho Roadies. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k56ecdZ1-As

Anyone know what the clip at 1:24 in that YouTube video is from? https://youtu.be/k56ecdZ1-As?t=1m24s

It's one of the rare instances that shows Al Jardine and David Marks in the group at the same time.
Ebb and Flow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5548 on: June 09, 2015, 02:41:44 PM »

Anyone know what the clip at 1:24 in that YouTube video is from? https://youtu.be/k56ecdZ1-As?t=1m24s

It's one of the rare instances that shows Al Jardine and David Marks in the group at the same time.

Home movies (Brian or Marilyn's?) that first appeared in "An American Band"
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5549 on: June 10, 2015, 04:22:28 AM »

So looking at that article about the 72 Smile release, it reminded me of a question I've always had...ever since Cabin Essence was released on 20/20, I always felt it was finished...yet when the title appeared on boots and what not, they always insisted on writing "incorporating the Iron Horse sections" or something of that nature. Isn't that an understood thing that it'd be included? I don't know of any versions of CE without the section.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 217 218 219 220 221 [222] 223 224 225 226 227 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx