gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 01:19:51 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 44 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399259 times)
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5100 on: August 30, 2014, 09:32:13 PM »

I find it hard to believe that they would trade lines over Brian's herky jerky piano playing. He also asks at the end "Do you like that?". In my opinion, he's clearly playing it for someone because he's excited about a song he's obsessing over lately. I've done quite a bit of analyzing of it (including isolating the vocal with Izotope RX). I'm sure we'd hear some overlap of voices if indeed it was a duet. And yeah, I'm gonna guess Al's wrong about Susie.
« Last Edit: August 30, 2014, 11:27:22 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5101 on: August 30, 2014, 09:44:57 PM »

There is some slight overlap, although it was not really a duet...nor is it the first take, from what I've been told previously. I do wonder who was teaching to whom, though... and what else was on the tape!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5102 on: August 30, 2014, 10:12:27 PM »

First time I listened, I thought the whole thing was Brian, because the talking and singing is so frenetic. I can hear that they're trading off now, though.

"I forgot the darned song. It's really nice, though." Is almost definitely Al speaking.
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5103 on: August 30, 2014, 10:22:11 PM »

I wish The Beach Boys would have recorded this song for real, though. Would have fit perfectly on Adult/Child, though a bit too literally.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5104 on: August 30, 2014, 10:31:34 PM »

Oh my God yes, that would've been ace

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5105 on: August 30, 2014, 10:34:53 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:08 PM by zatch » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5106 on: August 30, 2014, 10:37:45 PM »

Remember, it's not all there is of the tape, just what has been shared....

The whole thing is very similar to the tapes floating around of the Love you piano demos, when Mike starts joining in.

seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5107 on: August 30, 2014, 11:00:33 PM »

All of the singing on Daddy Dear/Susie C. sounds like Brian to me. Sounds like he's demoing the songs to a few people, Al and Carl maybe, and I don't understand why Al or anyone would join in on the singing for what is clearly not a performance, even an informal one as he's not even singing lyrics at some spots. Additionally, the piano playing is all over the place while Brian tries to remember the song, yet the singing is perfectly in sync with it. To me, that pretty much disproves the "multiple singers switching off" theory. There are some spots where I can understand how one could hear Al, though.

Spot on.
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #5108 on: August 30, 2014, 11:59:30 PM »

To me it also sounds like it's completely Brian. But what do I know anyway Roll Eyes
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5109 on: August 31, 2014, 08:11:48 PM »

I was thinking about my favourite song earlier and wondered, if Time To Get Alone was on Pet Sounds would it have more praise from us 'hardcore' fans and the general public? It just seems a bit of a waste on 20/20. I personally love the album and it's probably become my fave album but it doesn't get the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
I can't answer for the hardcore fans, I'm just one of many, but I LOVE Time to Get Alone! Always have! every version is my favorite, Redwood is really unique for their voices, Brian's earlier cut (from Hawthorne, CA) with the horn interlude with the whistling is so cool, it's very Smile-like. The 20/20 version has that great "deep and wide" vocal...I've also heard a bootleg of one of the earlier Smile Concerts in 04 of Brian's band performing TTGA, and I love it!

And about 20/20, that's always been (ever since becoming a bigger fan in the early 2000s) one of my favorite albums...I don't know if it's because I knew it didn't do well originally or because it's a hodgepodge of random (but awesome) tracks.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
zachrwolfe
« Reply #5110 on: September 01, 2014, 12:26:25 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:03:00 PM by zatch » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5111 on: September 01, 2014, 05:43:22 PM »

I was thinking about my favourite song earlier and wondered, if Time To Get Alone was on Pet Sounds would it have more praise from us 'hardcore' fans and the general public? It just seems a bit of a waste on 20/20. I personally love the album and it's probably become my fave album but it doesn't get the recognition it deserves in my opinion.
I can't answer for the hardcore fans, I'm just one of many, but I LOVE Time to Get Alone! Always have! every version is my favorite, Redwood is really unique for their voices, Brian's earlier cut (from Hawthorne, CA) with the horn interlude with the whistling is so cool, it's very Smile-like. The 20/20 version has that great "deep and wide" vocal...I've also heard a bootleg of one of the earlier Smile Concerts in 04 of Brian's band performing TTGA, and I love it!

And about 20/20, that's always been (ever since becoming a bigger fan in the early 2000s) one of my favorite albums...I don't know if it's because I knew it didn't do well originally or because it's a hodgepodge of random (but awesome) tracks.

TTGA was an instant favourite when I first heard it, still love it now... seems to be a bit of an unpopular opinion on this board, though. And glad to see 20/20 getting some love, it's probably my third favourite album by them, just slightly behind PS and Sunflower.
Unpopular? Really?
I thought it was known as a BW classic.
Everything about TTGA is great! The lyrics, production, vocals, they're all amazing!

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5112 on: September 01, 2014, 06:40:58 PM »

Regarding "Daddy Dear," About 3 or 4 years ago I played it for Marilyn, and she said, "Oh yeah, that's Brian."  I said, "Marilyn, are you sure?"  She laughed and said, "Lee, I was married to the guy! That's Brian's voice."

Not to call names, and no offense to anyone who participates in this board, but I've previously shared this story with several other Beach Boys historians and collectors -- some of whom continue to express their doubts that it's Brian on the tape.  As far as I'm concerned the case is closed -- at least with respect to "Daddy Dear."

Lee
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 05:09:24 AM by LeeDempsey » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Global Moderator

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5113 on: September 01, 2014, 07:03:44 PM »

I didn't know that story, and I'd trust her over Al, so I acquiesce. Again, I do hear more than one person singing at times, but I'm starting to feel that maybe it was Brian on 95% of it and Al on the brief cameos joining in, as opposed to the other way around like I thought for the longest.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5114 on: September 02, 2014, 04:30:35 AM »

Did Bruce know about the plan to replace him with Billy Hinsche in 1969?  If so, was he talking about a potential solo career at that point and so the others were looking to replace him?  If that's the case, what kept him around for three years?   If he didn't know, when did he find out about this plan to wheedle him out?

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5115 on: September 02, 2014, 11:15:24 AM »

TTGA was an instant favourite when I first heard it, still love it now... seems to be a bit of an unpopular opinion on this board, though. And glad to see 20/20 getting some love, it's probably my third favourite album by them, just slightly behind PS and Sunflower.

Unpopular opinion?? Huh? What board you on?

phirnis
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5116 on: September 02, 2014, 11:33:56 AM »

TTGA is probably the song that made me a hard-core fan, was mesmerized when I first heard it in An American Band.
Capitol Punishment
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5117 on: September 02, 2014, 11:50:24 AM »

TTGA is probably the song that made me a hard-core fan, was mesmerized when I first heard it in An American Band.
Me too! When I was first getting into the BBs about 5 years ago, I watched An American Band for the Smile footage and I heard the snippet of TTGA and I thought "Wow, this is a really cool track. If only I knew the name of it." Thankfully, I had the Good Vibrations box set and I was listening to the third disc and I heard the whole song. One of the Beach Boys' best songs and one of Carl's best vocals.

"I like food" -Brian Wilson
Orange Crate Art
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5118 on: September 02, 2014, 12:00:21 PM »

Same here! When I first saw American Band back in the 80s I thought "Wow! What is that amazing song? What album is it on?". I was thrilled when Brian performed it on his Smile Tour. It's probably my favorite BB song of the late 60s. No doubt it's a classic (just not a classic on oldies radio...which is fine with me).

Hey did you hear that George fell into his French horn?
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5119 on: September 02, 2014, 12:10:25 PM »

I always loved 20/20. A very eclectic set of tunes that I first received as a birthday present some 7 months after release. Time To Get Alone was always a standout track on the album. The "Deep and Wide" vocals is my top wtf moment, to go along with the "ahhhhh" in Good Vibrations. Both just spectacular.
« Last Edit: September 02, 2014, 12:11:32 PM by drbeachboy » Logged

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5120 on: September 02, 2014, 07:59:11 PM »

I thought it was weird that when most stations reported Carl's Passing they showed him singing TTGA as opposed to GOd Only knows or I can hear Music.
ppk700
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5121 on: September 02, 2014, 11:09:44 PM »

Perhaps the answer to my question is buried deep somewhere within these forums, and if it is, I apologize... but does Mike Love have any vocal parts on Pacific Ocean Blue, or more specifically, bass vocal parts? I swear to Dog I can hear him on "Moonshine" and "Pacific Ocean Blues," but I suppose it could be someone else, or Dennis himself, on those parts.
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5122 on: September 03, 2014, 12:16:17 AM »

http://www.tiptopwebsite.com/custommusic2/craigslowinskicom2.pdf#page=1

This should answer any questions about Pacific Ocean Blue. In short, Mike isn't on it.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
CarlTheVoice
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5123 on: September 03, 2014, 01:30:58 PM »

It's great to see some TTGA love in response to my question. I always thought it was one that most thought was 'good' but not great! It's my all time favourite song and I don't think that it will ever get boring to me! I played it in the car whilst I was pregnant last year and now my young son stops crying when he hears it - BB version AND me singing it! He's just as mesmerised by it as I am.

The production is credited to Carl but I've always wondered, what exactly did he add to the album version? Was it everything that wasn't on the Hawthorne mix? In addition, why wasn't it considered single material?!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5124 on: September 03, 2014, 02:29:45 PM »

Perhaps the answer to my question is buried deep somewhere within these forums, and if it is, I apologize... but does Mike Love have any vocal parts on Pacific Ocean Blue, or more specifically, bass vocal parts? I swear to Dog I can hear him on "Moonshine" and "Pacific Ocean Blues," but I suppose it could be someone else, or Dennis himself, on those parts.

Great question and I hope someone can answer definitively… don't have the notes to hand so dunno if it's covered there.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 200 201 202 203 204 [205] 206 207 208 209 210 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx