gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:22:22 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399771 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4950 on: June 21, 2014, 08:42:55 PM »

Though she also helped end it by suing Joe, so ...

The Thomas thing is complicated.
Suing for what?
If this shouldn't be discussed here, is there a link somewhere for further reading? Or is this "insiders info" like the whole Andy Paley disappearance?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4951 on: June 22, 2014, 06:39:54 AM »

http://www.rollingstone.com/music/news/brian-wilson-settles-suit-with-former-partner-20000718#ixzz35NHRYrI1

Thomas accompanied Wilson on his U.S. tour last year, playing piano, but last August, Brian's wife Melinda Wilson sued Thomas, claiming that the producer used his association with her husband to raise his industry profile and wrongfully enrich himself through his association with the former Beach Boy. Thomas ripped a lawsuit back at Mrs. Wilson alleging that she had "schemed against and manipulated" both himself and Brian.

Thomas was also carefully edited out of the Brian Wilson On Tour DVD.  It's a very odd situation indeed.  There has to be more to it but obviously, whatever it is has all blown over.

Autotune
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4952 on: June 22, 2014, 08:55:04 AM »

Beck, Jeff. And Thomas in the back.

"His lyrical ability has never been touched by anyone, except for Mike Love."

-Brian Wilson on Van Dyke Parks (2015)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4953 on: June 22, 2014, 01:51:23 PM »

Beck, Jeff. And Thomas in the back.
No more mullet Joe?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4954 on: June 25, 2014, 11:22:51 PM »

Not really a question.  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nSAoEf1Ib58

Can't get much better than this.  Smiley
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4955 on: June 27, 2014, 02:22:30 PM »

I was thinking, what if Bruce and Mike's story is a Brokeback Mountain kinda thing?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4956 on: June 27, 2014, 08:57:30 PM »

Whatever happened to the Smiley Smile.net wiki style site? I know it had bits and pieces on it for a while.

Also, what happen to the smile shop essays/opening pictures/artwork/quotes/timelines/and other whatnots? Did we lose the name of smile shop.net as a domain name? Did anyone save those sites? I saved (aka printed out) a lot of the essays...but not all of them.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4957 on: June 30, 2014, 07:58:50 PM »

Whatever happened to "Little Surfer Girl"?
Does it only exist as that tiny snippet on GV:30?
LdC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4958 on: July 01, 2014, 10:53:38 AM »

Whatever happened with this? http://rockfuelmedia.com/event/the-beach-boys-3d-live-at-the-hollywood-bowl/.

Apparently its the beach boys at the hollwood bowl and its supposed to be in Blu ray 3d. Anyone heard of this?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4959 on: July 01, 2014, 12:10:53 PM »

Whatever happened with this? http://rockfuelmedia.com/event/the-beach-boys-3d-live-at-the-hollywood-bowl/.

Apparently its the beach boys at the hollwood bowl and its supposed to be in Blu ray 3d. Anyone heard of this?

I have no interest in the 3-D aspect, but I do hope this C50 Hollywood Bowl video will ultimately be released.  Wonder if the video is completed and it's ready for release, or if a ton of editing work remains to be done.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4960 on: July 01, 2014, 07:52:23 PM »

I have no interest in the 3-D aspect, but I do hope this C50 Hollywood Bowl video will ultimately be released.  Wonder if the video is completed and it's ready for release, or if a ton of editing work remains to be done.

Did this release have anything to do with the "kickstarter"-like program that eventually failed?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4961 on: July 04, 2014, 04:01:25 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:28:38 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4962 on: July 04, 2014, 04:02:46 PM »

« Last Edit: November 27, 2014, 10:28:47 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4963 on: July 04, 2014, 10:07:48 PM »

Are there any instances of Brian composing in a minor key?
I think someone mentioned that the chorus to H&V is in a minor key, but other than that...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #4964 on: July 06, 2014, 06:28:28 AM »

« Last Edit: November 25, 2014, 09:42:06 AM by Al Jardine: TheDickup Artist » Logged
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4965 on: July 09, 2014, 03:21:26 PM »

Has the 1966 London footage been released with its original sound and narration by Marianne Faithful? If not, why hasn't it?
I've seen releases for sale that are silent and with other audio dubbed onto it (like the "Help Me, Ronda" incident), but not the original.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4966 on: July 09, 2014, 06:24:51 PM »

Has the 1966 London footage been released with its original sound and narration by Marianne Faithful? If not, why hasn't it?
I've seen releases for sale that are silent and with other audio dubbed onto it (like the "Help Me, Ronda" incident), but not the original.

AFAIK, not officially. A real shame as the footage, quality-wise, looks as though it was shot yesterday (even considering YouTube video compression)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Zy_wRYN3bi0

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4967 on: July 10, 2014, 08:29:21 AM »

Branching out from the captain's Bach/Ellington/BW post on another thread...

I listened to "Prelude and Fugue in C major" from Bach's "The Well-Tempered Clavier" and was stricken by the piece's similarity to both "Variations on Thoughts of You" and the end of "I Love You" (POB Legacy edition).

I assume I'm not the first to notice this. I think it was previously brought up regarding "Variations" but I didn't recall if "I Love You" had been mentioned, or if the similarity is anything other than superficial. I know Dennis liked classical composers, and that, as Wikipedia tells me, "Prelude and Fugue in C major" is commonly played by beginner pianists.

So I guess my question is, "Why did Mike Love end the reunion tour?"  Evil

But seriously, hardcore musos-- how close are these three pieces?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4968 on: July 13, 2014, 06:13:44 AM »

What's the "Help Me Rhonda Incident?"

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4969 on: July 13, 2014, 09:03:36 AM »

"I'm a genius too, Brian".

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Dudd
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4970 on: July 13, 2014, 10:01:58 AM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_bxfR-Vuo8Y

Quote from: Brian Wilson
It’s going to be the greatest tribute album ever made.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4971 on: July 13, 2014, 10:17:07 AM »

So someone synced up the Help Me Rhonda session with Murry's "help" over the 1966 London footage?
I think there's better audio to try to synch up like concert audio for the performance footage?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

halblaineisgood
« Reply #4972 on: July 13, 2014, 10:28:05 AM »

« Last Edit: November 18, 2014, 08:26:38 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
Heysaboda
Smiley Smile Associate

Son, don't wait till the break of day....

View Profile
« Reply #4973 on: July 13, 2014, 06:05:56 PM »

I am interested in knowing who were the back up musicians, incl. horn players, who played on the BB's live album Live in
London 1969 ( which was really recorded in 68).  I've tried a few searches to no avail.

Thanks for any direction!

Son, don't wait till the break of day 'cause you know how time fades away......
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4974 on: July 13, 2014, 06:52:51 PM »

I am interested in knowing who were the back up musicians, incl. horn players, who played on the BB's live album Live in
London 1969 ( which was really recorded in 68).  I've tried a few searches to no avail.

Thanks for any direction!
I think Ed Carter played with them during this time

~post of the century~
-Mikie

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 194 195 196 197 198 [199] 200 201 202 203 204 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx