gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 12:54:20 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 42 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 186 187 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399251 times)
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4525 on: December 17, 2013, 06:25:05 PM »

I feel like I read this early on in my Beach Boys obsession period that Carl wrote Long Promised Road for Brian, is this true? I always thought the song lyrics synced up well with Brian's then current life. But perhaps I misread that.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4526 on: December 17, 2013, 10:33:07 PM »

Music: Carl Dean Wilson
Lyrics: John Frank Rieley III

Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4527 on: December 18, 2013, 07:18:32 AM »

I would say that "Of The Times" on Youngblood sounds more like it was written about Brian and/or Dennis, than Long Promised Road.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4528 on: December 18, 2013, 11:23:57 AM »

"Like a Brother".....  Grin
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4529 on: December 18, 2013, 12:42:00 PM »

Rapper/Actor Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) is a Beach Boys fan (start at about 1:00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDHrPLLEyVY

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4530 on: December 18, 2013, 12:56:40 PM »

Rapper/Actor Donald Glover (Childish Gambino) is a Beach Boys fan (start at about 1:00):
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDHrPLLEyVY

It's amazing how many modern artists have a love for The Beach Boys. I get ribbed by friends for being a Beach Boys fan, yet most of their favorite artists are influenced by Brian...funny how that works.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4531 on: December 18, 2013, 05:41:47 PM »

Is there any high-quality scan of the back cover of 15 Big Ones online anywhere?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4532 on: December 19, 2013, 08:38:54 AM »

Another thing that I just remembered.. and info is kinda hard to find for it, but who is singing lead on that 70s California Music version of "Jamaica Farewell"? Sounds like Toni Tennelle
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4533 on: December 19, 2013, 08:53:38 AM »

Another thing that I just remembered.. and info is kinda hard to find for it, but who is singing lead on that 70s California Music version of "Jamaica Farewell"? Sounds like Toni Tennelle

Curt Boettcher?

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4534 on: December 19, 2013, 09:27:40 AM »

That is correct.

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4535 on: December 19, 2013, 09:33:49 AM »

Damn, thank you. Would never guess that. Sounds like female vocals to me!
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4536 on: December 24, 2013, 02:21:39 PM »

I can hear what may be an editing point in the solo 1967 version of "Surf's Up" at about 2:05 after the line "The glass was raised, the fire rose" and right as the next line, "The fullness of the wine, the dim last toasting" is introduced.

Anyone else hear it?
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4537 on: December 25, 2013, 09:48:30 AM »

Where did Denny's boat Harmony end up? And does anybody know where it's today? I'm just interested to know  Cool Guy
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4538 on: December 25, 2013, 10:47:41 AM »

Where did Denny's boat Harmony end up? And does anybody know where it's today? I'm just interested to know  Cool Guy
Ask Mikie.  He did a write up on it, but I forget the thread title.  I think he said somewhere up in Washington state.  Try to use the search function.

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
RiC
Smiley Smile Associate

One and Only

View Profile
« Reply #4539 on: December 25, 2013, 10:57:12 AM »

Ask Mikie.  He did a write up on it, but I forget the thread title.  I think he said somewhere up in Washington state.  Try to use the search function.
Thanks, I tried but couldn't find any more info. I hope the boat's still in good condition somewhere!
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4540 on: December 25, 2013, 11:36:24 AM »

Took me about five minutes to find this:

http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,9606.0.html

Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4541 on: December 25, 2013, 08:44:42 PM »

Just read this and got me wondering a few things:

"Despite the "unspoken rivalry" between The Beatles and the Beach Boys, Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney were good friends during this time and remain so today. As a result of this friendship, McCartney made a guest appearance on Smiley Smile. He can be heard eating a carrot during "Vegetables." This led to an amusing story years later, as a Los Angeles radio station (Breakfast With The Beatles on 97.1 KLSX-FM) was giving away a prize to the first caller who could correctly answer the question, "What Beach Boys' song does Paul McCartney appear on?" Dozens called in with wrong answers, until finally McCartney himself (who, at the time, was in Los Angeles recording the 'Chaos and Creation in the Backyard' album) called in and won the prize."

It's on Wikipedia, which is usually a sketchy source. Is any of this accurate? Also, is there clear cut evidence that Mccartney actually recorded with the Beach Boys in the 60s? I know it's been reported that Brian met Paul in 1967, but I was always skeptical about the word that he crunched vegetables on the song.

Also I am skeptical about Brian and Paul being that good of friends until I guess much much later. In an 1968 interview, Brian says that the meeting didn't really go too well, that he found there was no chemistry at all, and they didn't jive well when they met. Or something along those lines. That struck me as really interesting when I first heard that.
« Last Edit: December 25, 2013, 08:47:23 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4542 on: December 25, 2013, 11:35:15 PM »

Firstly, the "Vegetables" story is pretty much a BB urban myth: he was at the session, but the concensus here is that he didn't produce and that he's not on the released version. Paul did call in and win that prize... but with an incorrect answer.  Smiley

As for being "good friends" - unless it was via phone and letter, no: their early meetings were in 1966 (social), 1967 (studio) and (I think) 1974 (not exactly a meeting - Brian was inside the pool house at 10452, Paul & Linda were outside knocking on the door). I feel the proximity of their birthdays makes people assume more than was actually the case.

startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4543 on: December 26, 2013, 07:09:04 PM »

Firstly, the "Vegetables" story is pretty much a BB urban myth: he was at the session, but the concensus here is that he didn't produce and that he's not on the released version. Paul did call in and win that prize... but with an incorrect answer.  Smiley

As for being "good friends" - unless it was via phone and letter, no: their early meetings were in 1966 (social), 1967 (studio) and (I think) 1974 (not exactly a meeting - Brian was inside the pool house at 10452, Paul & Linda were outside knocking on the door). I feel the proximity of their birthdays makes people assume more than was actually the case.

Would 1976 (Brian's birthday) count as an early meeting?
Mayoman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4544 on: December 29, 2013, 12:20:14 PM »

This isn't a question really, but I'm listening to a '78 concert recording, and hearing Carl drunk is pretty disconcerting. Glad that was only a brief period of time.
Moon Dawg
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4545 on: December 29, 2013, 12:29:11 PM »

Paul and Brian are great mutual fans but their actual friendship is rather vague.
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4546 on: December 29, 2013, 01:34:44 PM »

Not a question, just an observation...

Watching Wes Anderson's (excellent) Fantastic Mr Fox on TV earlier. It incorporates several Beach Boys songs brilliantly on the soundtrack, the songs fit the action on screen perfectly.

If you haven't seen it - watch. Can't think of a film in which their music is better used. American Graffiti perhaps?   
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4547 on: December 30, 2013, 01:29:40 AM »

Watching Wes Anderson's (excellent) Fantastic Mr Fox on TV earlier. It incorporates several Beach Boys songs brilliantly on the soundtrack, the songs fit the action on screen perfectly.

If you haven't seen it - watch. Can't think of a film in which their music is better used. American Graffiti perhaps?   

My 4-y-o is thrilled to bits that Heroes & Villains is in one of her favourite movies!

“We live in divisive times.”
rab2591
Smiley Smile Associate

"My God. It's full of stars."

View Profile
« Reply #4548 on: December 30, 2013, 02:45:57 PM »

Is it documented that Brian disliked Dennis's vocal on In The Back Of My Mind?

I remember reading a post on the board that had to do with Brian's dislike of Dennis's lead on ITBOMM....wasn't sure if this was just speculation, or if Brian actually felt this way.

Bill Tobelman's SMiLE site

God must’ve smiled the day Brian Wilson was born!

"ragegasm" - /rāj • ga-zəm/ : a logical mental response produced when your favorite band becomes remotely associated with the bro-country genre.

Ever want to hear some Beach Boys songs mashed up together like The Beatles' 'LOVE' album? Check out my mix!
Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4549 on: December 30, 2013, 04:55:12 PM »

It's pretty cool.  Do It Again works beautifully in Happy Feet, as for Getcha Back in Herbie:Fully Loaded... LOL

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 177 178 179 180 181 [182] 183 184 185 186 187 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx