gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 11:07:34 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399538 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4375 on: October 28, 2013, 04:48:30 PM »

6/27 - session: Santa Ana Winds [Western]
7/28 - session: Santa Ana Winds [Western]
8/22 - session: Santa Ana Winds [Western]
12/16 - L. A. (Light Album) session: Santa Ana Winds [Super Sound, Monterey]
12/17 - L. A. (Light Album) session: Santa Ana Winds [Super Sound, Monterey]

11/?? - KTSA session: Santa Ana Winds [Rumbo]
12/?? - KTSA session: Santa Ana Winds [Rumbo]

1/?? - KTSA session: Santa Ana Winds [Rumbo]
2/1 - KTSA session: Santa Ana Winds [Rumbo]
2/4 - KTSA session: Santa Ana Winds [Rumbo]
« Last Edit: October 28, 2013, 04:49:43 PM by A. Grayham Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

Add Some Music to your day!

View Profile
« Reply #4376 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48:22 AM »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4qb9vV-H9ec

Wondering where this video came from.  Very strange, unhappy faces.
Still, very striking how great Brian sang on MIU.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4377 on: November 04, 2013, 07:39:44 AM »

Just a semi-informed guess but that may be the rehearsals for the aborted 1977 UK tour. Seen the footage before with a French commentary.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4378 on: November 04, 2013, 10:32:30 AM »

Wow great find, never seen that footage before. Brian looks very pale there, the rest of the band looks good overall, even Dennis. Brian just looks like he doesn't really want to be there. Sad.
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4379 on: November 04, 2013, 12:36:27 PM »

Nobody is smiling. Al wipes a tear. Mike isn't wearing a hat. Looks like a fight is going to break out when they are done. Never seen anything like it.

Wow great find, never seen that footage before. Brian looks very pale there, the rest of the band looks good overall, even Dennis. Brian just looks like he doesn't really want to be there. Sad.

"Brian is The Beach Boys. He is the band. We're his f***ing messengers. He is all of it. Period. We're nothing. He's everything" - Dennis Wilson
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4380 on: November 04, 2013, 12:37:15 PM »

A couple of thoughts about the video.  First, now we know the real reason Bruce rejoined the band.  Al and Mike needed a little help with the art of microphone adjustment! Secondly, it's funny watching them mime to Brian's background vocals.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4381 on: November 04, 2013, 12:41:55 PM »

I just want to say I'm playing Good Vibrations and watching Oregon River Rider's avatar. Very trippy.
« Last Edit: November 04, 2013, 12:42:48 PM by Cyncie » Logged
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4382 on: November 04, 2013, 12:44:30 PM »

A couple of thoughts about the video.  First, now we know the real reason Bruce rejoined the band.  Al and Mike needed a little help with the art of microphone adjustment! Secondly, it's funny watching them mime to Brian's background vocals.
Ha. Funny, I thought I might have got a glimpse of Bruce in the background.

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4383 on: November 04, 2013, 02:19:00 PM »

Nobody is smiling. Al wipes a tear. Mike isn't wearing a hat. Looks like a fight is going to break out when they are done. Never seen anything like it.

Looks cobbled together somehow. Vocals aren't in synch (way beyond miming badly) -  might not even be performing the same song – and I think some of the clips are repeated over and over.

“We live in divisive times.”
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4384 on: November 04, 2013, 02:22:35 PM »

The original version of the video has french narration over the BBs practicing surfer girl.

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
SurfRiderHawaii
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4385 on: November 04, 2013, 02:48:47 PM »

The original version of the video has french narration over the BBs practicing surfer girl.

Ah, you have a link SB?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4386 on: November 06, 2013, 02:01:21 PM »

...along with snippets of Feel Flows, Love Is A Woman, Let Us Go On This Way, Airplane, and Back Home.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4387 on: November 06, 2013, 06:39:02 PM »

I was thinking this was an obvious edit of footage (by a fan) in which they edited the guys to look like they're playing/singing the Matchpoint of Our Love. With the way the clips repeat themselves....although being an obvious editing job, it does look good IMO.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4388 on: November 07, 2013, 06:31:52 PM »

Did they ever even perform anything from MIU live (except for Peggy Sue and Come Go With Me... anything original I guess)?

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4389 on: November 07, 2013, 08:56:59 PM »

Did they ever even perform anything from MIU live (except for Peggy Sue and Come Go With Me... anything original I guess)?

No others I can think of.

Interestingly, although Come Go With Me appears on MIU, the first documented concert performance of the song wasn't until December 4, 1981 to promote Ten Years of Harmony.

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4390 on: November 08, 2013, 12:23:28 PM »

Interestingly, although Come Go With Me appears on MIU, the first documented concert performance of the song wasn't until December 4, 1981 to promote Ten Years of Harmony.
Plus it was a single at the time with Don't Go Near the Water.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2013, 06:50:48 PM by punkinhead » Logged

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Marcella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4391 on: November 08, 2013, 02:22:30 PM »

So I am an iPhone user who is in the market for a good Bluetooth mini speaker for listening to the Boys around the house (I mainly listen to the Boys through my iPhone). Plus I have a baby due in exactly 2 weeks and I'd like to listen to some Beach Boy lullabies while I have those late night moments with my new bundle of joy. I am seeking opinions on 2 Bluetooth speakers that seem to separate themselves from the others:

UE Boom - supposedly good for higher volume, less good for low sounds/bass

Bose SoundLink Mini - less "loud" but better with a more full sound--better on lows/bass

Boom can be had for $180, Bose for $200

I'm thinking Bose myself. So Smiley Smilers, how about some direction here. Which would sound better for Beach Boys tunes?
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4392 on: November 08, 2013, 03:05:48 PM »

Is there a one-stop listing anywhere of all the Brian Wilson Band members' solo/extra-curricula work? Just bought Scotty Bennett's album, which I'm enjoying; also have Taylor Mills' Lullagoodbye; a few Wondermints efforts; and Nelson Bragg's We Get What We Want, which I rate as the best of the lot so far…  Surprised myself somehow by not having any of Jeff Foskett's.

I could research them all of course but I'm lazy deep-down (and busy most nights now putting the kids to bed!).

lee
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4393 on: November 08, 2013, 03:25:51 PM »

Was Time To Get Alone ever performed live? I haven't found a live version but thought it was possible since (I think) it was a planned single at one point.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4394 on: November 08, 2013, 06:02:32 PM »

Is there a one-stop listing anywhere of all the Brian Wilson Band members' solo/extra-curricula work? Just bought Scotty Bennett's album, which I'm enjoying; also have Taylor Mills' Lullagoodbye; a few Wondermints efforts; and Nelson Bragg's We Get What We Want, which I rate as the best of the lot so far…  Surprised myself somehow by not having any of Jeff Foskett's.

I could research them all of course but I'm lazy deep-down (and busy most nights now putting the kids to bed!).

Keep the kids up listening to THE music, while you're researching

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4395 on: November 08, 2013, 07:21:58 PM »

...along with snippets of Feel Flows, Love Is A Woman, Let Us Go On This Way, Airplane, and Back Home.

Where can I see that?
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4396 on: November 08, 2013, 08:17:55 PM »

Was Time To Get Alone ever performed live? I haven't found a live version but thought it was possible since (I think) it was a planned single at one point.

Only by Brian's band. If it was performed live by The Beach Boys, it has yet to be documented, AFAIK.

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4397 on: November 08, 2013, 08:24:47 PM »

Plus is was a single at the time with Don't Go Near the Water.

...which coincidentally was the single used to promote Ten Years of Harmony (in various incarnations Grin) http://www.beachboys45.nl/USA-Regular-Caribou.htm
« Last Edit: November 08, 2013, 08:28:11 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4398 on: November 09, 2013, 12:11:38 AM »

Keep the kids up listening to THE music, while you're researching

It's Wheels On The Bus or nothing… I daren't mess with da kids…

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #4399 on: November 09, 2013, 02:42:07 AM »

Where can I see that?

'Twas on YouTube... http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,2412.msg292930.html#msg292930

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 171 172 173 174 175 [176] 177 178 179 180 181 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx