gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:26:05 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
shadownoze, Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray (+ 1 Hidden) and 55 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399526 times)
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4275 on: September 19, 2013, 05:59:38 PM »

So, I finally was able to get my hands on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fer and, while going through the liner notes, I saw something interesting. David mentions in the notes for "Wonderful" that there is an unreleased version which features Brian on harpsichord and that it is 'beautiful.'

Was this released at all? I don't really know any more details about it. Was it the TSS version?
« Last Edit: September 19, 2013, 07:50:20 PM by Bubbly Waves » Logged
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4276 on: September 19, 2013, 07:14:07 PM »

So, I finally was able to get my hands on the Smiley Smile/Wild Honey two-fer and, while going through the liner notes, I saw something interesting. David mentions in the notes for "Wonderful" that there is an unreleased version which features Brian on harpsichord and that it is 'beautiful.'

Was this released at all? I don't really know any more details about it. Perhaps it was on TSS?
Brian on harpsichord singing Wonderful? I'm pretty sure that's the definitive Smile version.
Same one as on GV box and TSS?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4277 on: September 19, 2013, 07:18:40 PM »

Was this released at all? I don't really know any more details about it. Perhaps it was on TSS?
Brian on harpsichord singing Wonderful? I'm pretty sure that's the definitive Smile version.
Same one as on GV box and TSS?

That would make sense.  The twofer liner notes were written in 1990 so the Smile material was still unreleased at that point.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4278 on: September 19, 2013, 07:22:47 PM »

I was listening to a podcast on Icon Fetch that had Jon Stebbins being interviewed about his (then) new book BB FAQ…the interviewer was talking about Smile and then Montery Pop Show, then the interviewer asked about the reasons why they didn't play the show…Jon replies with the answers we all would have said, but he then mentions a factor I'd never heard before, something about Mike having a problem with the corporate sponsors of the show. I've never heard anything about that, what's the story on that?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4279 on: September 19, 2013, 07:39:45 PM »

Stephen Desper has pointed out that it was because Coke was unhealthy.

Watch out for snakes!
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4280 on: September 19, 2013, 08:05:59 PM »

Wow, I guess Sunkist is better for you.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4281 on: September 20, 2013, 06:37:01 AM »

In 1964 he reminded his girlfriend that she "...spilled Coke all over your blouse." Wink I am always amazed at some of the career decisions these guys made.

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4282 on: September 21, 2013, 02:09:15 PM »

In 1964 he reminded his girlfriend that she "...spilled Coke all over your blouse." Wink I am always amazed at some of the career decisions these guys made.

You assume they were referencing soda.

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4283 on: September 21, 2013, 09:55:37 PM »

anyone here think this cover version of a BB song sort of has that 80s Roxy Music sounding vibe to it:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sNpuRf_BA60
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4284 on: September 22, 2013, 12:10:50 AM »

I noticed that on the Friends two-fer, during "Transcendental Meditation," there's a huge tempo shift at about 0:40.

On the MiC, version, the tempo shift isn't there.

So, my question is.. Is that "jump" supposed to be there? Or was including the instrumental version supposed to be some sort of 'fix?'
bluesno1fann
« Reply #4285 on: September 22, 2013, 12:32:26 AM »

I know everyone thinks the Blondie/Ricky faction of the band was screwed on the MIC set, so if that's the case, what Blondie/Ricky tunes would you have added?

"Hard Times" deserves a release.
The studio version of "We Got Love" deserves a full scale world wide release.
"Here She Comes" deserves a properly mixed version (Sorry, Ricky) to be released!

And in addition to the songs they wrote, it would be nice to have high quality versions of Dennis's stuff that featured Blondie:  "Carry Me Home" and ESPECIALLY "It's A New Day!

I would have included all five of those tracks.

What you just said describes the one big disappointment of MIC for me. They all deserve a release!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4286 on: September 22, 2013, 12:34:20 AM »

I know everyone thinks the Blondie/Ricky faction of the band was screwed on the MIC set, so if that's the case, what Blondie/Ricky tunes would you have added?

"Here She Comes" deserves a properly mixed version (Sorry, Ricky) to be released!

And in addition to the songs they wrote, it would be nice to have high quality versions of Dennis's stuff that featured Blondie:  "Carry Me Home" and ESPECIALLY "It's A New Day!

What you just said describes the one big disappointment of MIC for me. They all deserve a release!

Great minds...  

Thumbs Up
« Last Edit: September 22, 2013, 12:36:13 AM by Phoenix » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4287 on: September 22, 2013, 01:38:42 AM »

Indeed. But I like to think that the sheer number of quality tracks which they held back in itself implies that we're due a rarities release some time in the future.
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4288 on: September 28, 2013, 04:05:06 PM »

Is there video footage existing of Brian performing Melt Away?

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4289 on: September 28, 2013, 04:09:09 PM »

Pretty sure it was a part of the complete BB Kings show that was on Youtube. Not seeing the link now for some reason...
TimmyC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4290 on: October 04, 2013, 07:00:39 AM »

Hoping someone can help me out - I recently lost my black BB 50 hat that I purchased at the concert I went to in May 2012. It pains me to think of what happened to it, and surely I don't deserve to have it replaced. But if you can find it in your heart to have mercy on me, can anyone tell me where to a BB hat -- ANY BB hat? (other than yellow hat with red, or black with pink lettering....)

Thanks ya'll!!!!!!!!!!
anazgnos
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4291 on: October 05, 2013, 02:31:15 PM »

What's the approximate date on the early version of "Santa Ana Winds"? 
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4292 on: October 05, 2013, 05:27:33 PM »

Hoping someone can help me out - I recently lost my black BB 50 hat that I purchased at the concert I went to in May 2012. It pains me to think of what happened to it, and surely I don't deserve to have it replaced. But if you can find it in your heart to have mercy on me, can anyone tell me where to a BB hat -- ANY BB hat? (other than yellow hat with red, or black with pink lettering....)

Thanks ya'll!!!!!!!!!!

Howzabout this:  http://www.merchdirect.com/TheBeachBoys/Hats/BeachBoys50thYellowPrintHatonNavy/?productid=15685 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Jesse Reiswig
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4293 on: October 05, 2013, 11:35:09 PM »

What's the approximate date on the early version of "Santa Ana Winds"? 

Per Andrew Doe's site, June-Aug. 1978. http://esquarterly.com/bellagio/gigs78.html
over and over
Smiley Smile Associate

Help you in whatever you do

View Profile
« Reply #4294 on: October 06, 2013, 12:41:25 PM »

I think he performed it on the "I just wasn't made for these times" documentary.

"Give me a break, I'm trying something new." - Brian Wilson
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4295 on: October 06, 2013, 02:57:54 PM »

He did... well, lip-synched it.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4296 on: October 06, 2013, 03:06:44 PM »

It's not in the movie though, only on the soundtrack album.

Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4297 on: October 06, 2013, 11:36:41 PM »

What happened to Mike Eder?
ontor pertawst
Smiley Smile Associate

L♡VE ALWAYS WINS

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4298 on: October 06, 2013, 11:43:26 PM »

Van Dyke Parks, in the library, with the candlestick.
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4299 on: October 06, 2013, 11:45:07 PM »

What happened to Mike Eder?

What happened to Miss Amanda Jones?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 167 168 169 170 171 [172] 173 174 175 176 177 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx