gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680597 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 08:58:50 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
parlay, Gosh Darn Highway, astroray, sloopjohnb72 and 43 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399139 times)
PaulTMA
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4125 on: August 30, 2013, 10:38:57 AM »

"Who was the guy who sang on Sail On, Sailor, what's his name, uh.... 'Chalky'?" - a friend of mine
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4126 on: August 30, 2013, 12:08:01 PM »

zomgomgomg i summon andrew g doe to the stand for some 'splainin'!!

*clears throat, takes ritalin*

How did we get from here:

I don't think a recording of "Just An Imitation" exists, right?
Right.

To here:

Which of these songs still exists in the vaults?
    9:
  • Just An Imitation (I always thought it was never recorded, but AGD's site shows that it was, on summer '74)
9 - yes

*ritalin wears off*

Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh! Ahhh!

I plead the Whitman defence.[/list]
« Last Edit: August 30, 2013, 12:09:29 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4127 on: August 30, 2013, 06:05:15 PM »

At what point did Mike feel like every song would sound better with the deep "YYYEEEAAH" ie 'It's O.K."?

zachrwolfe
« Reply #4128 on: August 31, 2013, 01:57:12 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:05 PM by zatch » Logged
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4129 on: August 31, 2013, 02:02:53 AM »

Baby baby baby believe that I do love you love you love darling I love you.

A discipline daddy.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4130 on: August 31, 2013, 02:03:42 AM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:47:01 PM by zatch » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4131 on: August 31, 2013, 02:43:49 AM »

At what point did Mike feel like every song would sound better with the deep "YYYEEEAAH" ie 'It's O.K."?

That's everyone's favorite dignified should-have-been Beach Boys savior Dennis Wilson doing that proto-Summer In Paradise bass vocal.

WHATCHU GUNNA DO NOW CHRS_MRGN

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4132 on: August 31, 2013, 10:01:12 AM »

That's everyone's favorite dignified should-have-been Beach Boys savior Dennis Wilson doing that proto-Summer In Paradise bass vocal.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WWaLxFIVX1s

By wait! It's also in Problem Child!
« Last Edit: August 31, 2013, 10:04:36 AM by chrs_mrgn » Logged
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4133 on: August 31, 2013, 05:52:07 PM »

Sure it is, but we know for a fact Denny does that bass vocal on "It's OK". Just sayin', Mike wasn't the only one gettin' in on the "YEEAAAAAH" action. Smiley

Also, I'm just gonna take your word for it that it's on "Problem Child", you're not gonna get me to listen to that song, you fiend. Cry

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4134 on: August 31, 2013, 06:18:31 PM »

Sure it is, but we know for a fact Denny does that bass vocal on "It's OK". Just sayin', Mike wasn't the only one gettin' in on the "YEEAAAAAH" action. Smiley

Also, I'm just gonna take your word for it that it's on "Problem Child", you're not gonna get me to listen to that song, you fiend. Cry

Haha I don't blame you about Problem Child. I had no idea about It's OK, obviously. I don't have a quarter of the BB knowledge as half of you. I've only been listening to the guys for about a year!
Phoenix
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4135 on: August 31, 2013, 08:06:51 PM »

Probably right around the time he added it to the live renditions of "Good Vibrations". Smiley
grillo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4136 on: August 31, 2013, 08:59:54 PM »

Probably right around the time he added it to the live renditions of "Good Vibrations". Smiley
I actually always hear and sing "yeah" right after the organ and 'gotta keep those lovin' good...'line during the reverb silence before the last chorus. ML imprinted that on me so many years ago it is now always there!

“You never change things by fighting the existing reality.
To change something, build a new model that makes the existing model obsolete.”
― Richard Buckminster Fuller
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4137 on: August 31, 2013, 09:10:34 PM »

Is the song Sad, Sad Christmas (from MIU Sessions) an early version of Mike/Celebration's Sad, Sad Summer?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Amazing Larry
Smiley Smile Associate

There's a new daddy in town...

View Profile
« Reply #4138 on: August 31, 2013, 09:14:42 PM »

Mike's been doin' the "yeeeeah" since "The Girl From New York City."

A discipline daddy.
chrs_mrgn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4139 on: September 01, 2013, 10:58:46 PM »

in the 1998 vh1 documentary "imagination" there is the performance with Brian and Bruce with the rest of Brian's band. Was this a one off? Or were there more shows that Bruce played with Brian? I would love to see more footage of that.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4140 on: September 01, 2013, 11:16:47 PM »

in the 1998 vh1 documentary "imagination" there is the performance with Brian and Bruce with the rest of Brian's band. Was this a one off? Or were there more shows that Bruce played with Brian? I would love to see more footage of that.

Nope, that was a one-off show.  It also took place a year before Brian started touring so it was a one-off in that way as well.

Wirestone
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4141 on: September 01, 2013, 11:43:49 PM »

Nope, that was a one-off show.  It also took place a year before Brian started touring so it was a one-off in that way as well.

It was also not "Brian's band," or at least not as we know them today. No Wondermints, no Foskett. Instead, there were several studio guys from the album, along with a fellow from the Eagles. Scotty Bennett (with shocking blond hair) and Paul Mertens (as part of the winds section) can be spotted, though.
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4142 on: September 01, 2013, 11:49:18 PM »

I think I remember reading a mid-70s Brian Wilson interview where he was talking about songs that didn't realise their full potential or something of the like. Does anyone remember anything more about this? I think he mentioned "The Girl From New York City" if that helps things...

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4143 on: September 02, 2013, 01:14:28 AM »

Nope, that was a one-off show.  It also took place a year before Brian started touring so it was a one-off in that way as well.

It was also not "Brian's band," or at least not as we know them today. No Wondermints, no Foskett. Instead, there were several studio guys from the album, along with a fellow from the Eagles. Scotty Bennett (with shocking blond hair) and Paul Mertens (as part of the winds section) can be spotted, though.

Yeah, Timothy B. Schmit is the singer from the Eagles you referred to, he also sang "Caroline No" with the Beach Boys on the Stars and Stripes album, I think that's actually one of the few good things about that album.  Bruce, Joe Thomas, Christopher Cross, and Jim Peterik were also prominently featured.  Paul Mertens was there and I've never heard of the other guys in the band.  Strangely there seemed to be a lot of musicians on stage but were definitely not credited, I didn't notice Scott Bennett but it's possible he might have been one of those musicians.  Supposedly Brian was incredibly uncomfortable and for the DVD, they had to reshoot his closeups the following night on an empty stage.  Awkward.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 12:25:08 AM by Adam » Logged

The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4144 on: September 03, 2013, 05:40:25 AM »

Can anyone name the keyboard player in this 1973 concert shot by Chris English?

http://www.chrisenglishphotography.com/photo/4051561445095abc97f7ad

This is a terrific set of shots btw, worth exploring further.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4145 on: September 03, 2013, 06:44:10 AM »

Nope, that was a one-off show.  It also took place a year before Brian started touring so it was a one-off in that way as well.

Been a while since I've watched it, but I don't recall Scotty being listed as one of the musicians. Band as credited was:

Brian Wilson
Joe Thomas (keyboards)
Eddie Bayers (drums)
Rory Kaplan (keyboards)
Jim Peterik (guitars)
Michael Rhodes (bass)
Brent Rowan (guitars)
Chuck Soumar (horns)

PvM wasn't credited but is very obvious. Bruce played a Beach Boys show earlier that day, btw.
« Last Edit: September 03, 2013, 06:49:37 AM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

drbeachboy
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4146 on: September 03, 2013, 06:47:32 AM »

Been a while since I've watched it, but I don't recall Scotty being listed as one of the musicians. Bruce played a Beach Boys show earlier that day, btw.
Are we talking the same appearance that had Christopher Cross in the band too?

The Brianista Prayer

Oh Brian
Thou Art In Hawthorne,
Harmonied Be Thy name
Your Kingdom Come,
Your Steak Well Done,
On Stage As It Is In Studio,
Give Us This Day, Our Shortenin' Bread
And Forgive Us Our Bootlegs,
As We Also Have Forgiven Our Wife And Managers,
And Lead Us Not Into Kokomo,
But Deliver Us From Mike Love.
Amen.  ---hypehat
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4147 on: September 03, 2013, 06:50:26 AM »

Yerp.

LostArt
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4148 on: September 03, 2013, 07:23:16 AM »

Been a while since I've watched it, but I don't recall Scotty being listed as one of the musicians. Bruce played a Beach Boys show earlier that day, btw.
Are we talking the same appearance that had Christopher Cross in the band too?
Yerp.
Wasn't Timothy B. Schmidt part of that, too?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4149 on: September 03, 2013, 07:57:43 AM »

Ayuh.

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 161 162 163 164 165 [166] 167 168 169 170 171 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx