gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:15:11 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406325 times)
pdas1996
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6275 on: August 04, 2016, 10:25:54 PM »

Is there a banjo being played on the album version of "Time to Get Alone"? I listened to it earlier and thought I heard one quietly in the background.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6276 on: August 05, 2016, 04:20:57 AM »

.what's up with that flute ?  Huh
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6277 on: August 10, 2016, 04:49:51 PM »

Are there any known contemporary interviews or statements made by Dennis about Charles Manson, when he was just "Charlie "the wizard""? In other words, before the news of the murders broke?

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
jiggy22
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6278 on: August 10, 2016, 07:15:32 PM »

Are there any known contemporary interviews or statements made by Dennis about Charles Manson, when he was just "Charlie "the wizard""? In other words, before the news of the murders broke?

There's this news article from mid-late 1968:

Do happy happy happy Mission Pak singing sound!

My blog, where I post my original Beach Boys mixes and whatnot:
http://www.jiggy22.blogspot.com
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6279 on: August 11, 2016, 12:24:39 PM »

I won't make a habit of this----promise! But I noticed across the road a quartet of questions asked by the poster called S. There can't be many on either forum who can answer any of these questions as first-hand observers, which is why the few over here should also have the opportunity:

S: How did you react to the news that Brian would no longer tour?
JK: I knew nothing about any of this. It may not even have been reported in the UK at the time. Tours didn't interest me anyway (they still don't).

S: Were the subsequent tours just as good or better?
JK: No idea. The sum total of my live experience of the Boys is seeing Brian on one occasion in 2006.

S: Pet Sounds is such an incredible album, and although the band released introspective songs before, how did you initially react to this album that was laden with emotion?
JK: Ah. Well, I remember a friend of mine who was a fan playing at least side one of Today! to me. I know that for a fact, as I could not for the life of me understand why the line "Help me R(h)onda yeah!" sounded so different from that on the 45. And where was Mike's ascending bassline?
I'd also heard "The Lonely Sea" (on a popular TV show, no idea what the context was) and half of "Don't Worry Baby" on Radio Luxembourg, so I wasn't entirely unprepared for PS. And the UK pirate stations were playing tracks from PS incessantly in 1966, so by the time I bought it in '67 I was familiar with at least half the tracks. 
Another thing is that until then all the LPs I had bought had been "classical", including stuff by the Late Romantics and the likes of Alban Berg----plenty of emotion there.       
A final point (slightly off topic) is that as far as anyone knew in these days, it was the Boys playing all the instruments (except the strings, of course). Information was scant, to say the least.

S: I heard Smile after they officially released it. When did bootlegs begin to circulate?
JK: Once again, no idea. 

Any other takers?

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Zesterz
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6280 on: August 11, 2016, 01:19:32 PM »

It was reported at the time. I thought it would kill their career (like, who can replace BW?). Was in high school......knew of Glen Campbell so figured it could be alright. Then heard Today...and thought Help Me Ronda had two bass vocalists ( it was poor mix of Mikes double tracking. I never knew !!).
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6281 on: August 11, 2016, 04:57:04 PM »

There's this news article from mid-late 1968:

Wow! Thanks very much! I've. Never seen or read that before.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6282 on: August 14, 2016, 01:52:15 AM »

It was reported at the time. I thought it would kill their career (like, who can replace BW?). Was in high school......knew of Glen Campbell so figured it could be alright. Then heard Today...and thought Help Me Ronda had two bass vocalists ( it was poor mix of Mikes double tracking. I never knew !!).

Maybe UK coverage was less thorough (or maybe I just missed it or forgot about it). The Boys had had a UK hit with "I Get Around" but were not the phenomenon they were in the States at that time.

For that matter, the first I heard of Bruce Johnston as a Beach Boy was when he turned up on the UK TV show Ready Steady Go! with Keith Moon to promote Pet Sounds. Bruce who???

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6283 on: August 14, 2016, 10:48:06 AM »

Here's one I've never been able to decipher...

On 'That Special Feeling'....what kind of tree is Brian singing about in that lyric? 'Sand and sea and you and me....underneath the Huh? tree'.   

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
Rick5150
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6284 on: August 14, 2016, 01:56:13 PM »

Hahaha. Dennis (about Charles Manson) "He's dumb in some ways..." I love it.
Sjöman
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6285 on: August 14, 2016, 02:55:31 PM »

On 'That Special Feeling'....what kind of tree is Brian singing about in that lyric? 'Sand and sea and you and me....underneath the ???? tree'.

Surfermoon.com has it as "kumani tree", but the proper spelling is kamani (the Hawaiian word for beach calophyllum).

« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 07:04:22 AM by Sjöman » Logged
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6286 on: August 14, 2016, 02:57:32 PM »

Thank you...it's been bugging me for years!

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6287 on: August 31, 2016, 07:54:13 PM »

Who's the 3rd singer in the "scat" part of "It's About Time"?

You hear Carl come in first, then a 2nd voice that to my ears is not a Beach Boy, followed by Carl again, then Brian, etc.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6288 on: September 01, 2016, 10:01:40 AM »

brush[in'} 'em like crazy is the key phrase in "Mama Says".

Anyone disagree? It's the only one that requires some effort.

Everything else seems like something that a reckless fast-living person could accomplish with little effort.

brushing 'em like crazy requires some serious thought. This is why Brian's a genius.

« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 10:04:51 AM by halblaineisgood » Logged
HeyJude
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6289 on: September 01, 2016, 10:05:53 AM »

You hear Carl come in first, then a 2nd voice that to my ears is not a Beach Boy, followed by Carl again, then Brian, etc.

I admittedly am not a huge, huge fan of the recording (the live version on MIC is much better I think), and don't listen to it super often, but I vaguely recall wondering if Al is one of those voices. Al actually had just a bit more R&B/Soul in his voice than he almost ever used. I think you can hear it a bit on some of the vocal riffing on the remix on MIC of "Susie Cincinnati."

THE BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE IS ON FACEBOOK!!! http://www.facebook.com/beachboysopinion - Check out the original "BEACH BOYS OPINION PAGE" Blog - http://beachboysopinion.blogspot.com/
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6290 on: September 01, 2016, 10:36:43 AM »

I admittedly am not a huge, huge fan of the recording (the live version on MIC is much better I think), and don't listen to it super often, but I vaguely recall wondering if Al is one of those voices. Al actually had just a bit more R&B/Soul in his voice than he almost ever used. I think you can hear it a bit on some of the vocal riffing on the remix on MIC of "Susie Cincinnati."
No Mike on that part? really? ?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6291 on: September 01, 2016, 10:52:46 AM »

There are so many clips of Bruce miming the bass. Where are the true bruce bass[video]clips?

I am not trying to be a bruce bass denialist. I just can't think of one offhand. And many videos I watch feature pretending-bruce.

AGAIn, I am not a bruce denialist. I know he can play like jamerson on I was made to love her. He is funk master.

Therefore,  a "Bruce playng live bass" thread would not be out of order.
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:26:24 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6292 on: September 01, 2016, 12:22:34 PM »

Anyone else ever type in smilesmile.net ? 

Wtf is this? https://postimg.org/image/7rzwxrnur/
« Last Edit: September 01, 2016, 12:23:42 PM by halblaineisgood » Logged
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6293 on: September 01, 2016, 12:48:48 PM »

Looks malignant, Hal. Folks, click on it at your peril...

wild neon sins
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6294 on: September 02, 2016, 01:16:54 PM »

Isn't that just a screen shot of either an unused/expired domain bought by a spammer or a generic 404 page (except in Japanese).
btw that link's NSFW because of post img's banner ads.

eta: smilesmile.net currently goes to a Japanese blog about dog training (while smilesmile.com a site for a dentist  Grin )
« Last Edit: September 02, 2016, 01:27:11 PM by wild neon sins » Logged

"And suddenly I find myself, listening to a man I've never known before,
Telling me about the sea..."

Looking for contributions for a Dennis fanzine
https://denniswilsonzine.tumblr.com
c-man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6295 on: September 02, 2016, 04:06:11 PM »

There are so many clips of Bruce miming the bass. Where are the true bruce bass[video]clips?

I am not trying to be a bruce bass denialist. I just can't think of one offhand. And many videos I watch feature pretending-bruce.

AGAIn, I am not a bruce denialist. I know he can play like jamerson on I was made to love her. He is funk master.

Therefore,  a "Bruce playng live bass" thread would not be out of order.

The Paris 1969 concert features Bruce actually playing the bass on several songs. The Paris 1970 interview with concert footage piece features Bruce actually playing bass on a couple of (or maybe three) songs. The David Frost show (or is it the Leslie Uggams show?) from early 1971 features Bruce actually playing bass on one song. The Central Park footage from mid 1971 features Bruce actually playing bass on (I think) three songs. The Knebworth and Washington, D.C. shows from 1980 feature Bruce actually playing bass on two songs each. And the Queen Mary show from 1981 features Bruce actually playing bass on two songs.

And, incidentally - Bruce tells me it was Ron Brown who actually played bass on their version of "I Was Made To Love Her", despite not being listed on the AFM contract.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6296 on: September 03, 2016, 11:56:05 AM »

btw that link's NSFW because of post img's banner ads.
Oops.. had no idea.  angel
I always useadblocker ...
halblaineisgood
« Reply #6297 on: September 03, 2016, 12:13:29 PM »

The Paris 1969 concert features Bruce actually playing the bass on several songs. The Paris 1970 interview with concert footage piece features Bruce actually playing bass on a couple of (or maybe three) songs. The David Frost show (or is it the Leslie Uggams show?) from early 1971 features Bruce actually playing bass on one song. The Central Park footage from mid 1971 features Bruce actually playing bass on (I think) three songs. The Knebworth and Washington, D.C. shows from 1980 feature Bruce actually playing bass on two songs each. And the Queen Mary show from 1981 features Bruce actually playing bass on two songs.

And, incidentally - Bruce tells me it was Ron Brown who actually played bass on their version of "I Was Made To Love Her", despite not being listed on the AFM contract.
That answered my insignificant question. thank you  police
Cristian Kiper
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6298 on: September 04, 2016, 06:46:53 PM »

Not a question, but I just noticed that the Surfin' demo form Hawthorne, CA, the demo from Becoming The Beach Boys, and the master take are all in a different key. And since the version used in the Surfin' Safari album is sped up, that's one more key. The Summer In Paradise version is in the same key as the master take.
maggie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6299 on: September 08, 2016, 11:50:05 AM »

Why was "Christmas Time is Here Again" -- and only "Christmas Time is Here Again" -- deleted from Ultimate Christmas when it was reissued in 2004 as Christmas with the Beach Boys?

It seems like every year EMI and its licensees put out a new cheap version of the Christmas album, but this was different -- the 2004 release was clearly meant to be a "serious" archival release of that material, just as Ultimate Christmas was. So why did they fail to include that one track, and just that one track? Rights issues involving "Peggy Sue"?
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 247 248 249 250 251 [252] 253 254 255 256 257 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx