gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 02:49:32 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406427 times)
Komera
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6125 on: April 04, 2016, 10:36:46 AM »

Quick BB mention on Mental Floss.

https://youtu.be/a-xqNfUG9w8?t=7m35s

~~ The MeAjur Komera Waddi ~~
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6126 on: April 04, 2016, 11:36:15 AM »

The touring band could perform shows without Mike, but I would assume the show would be cancelled were he ill on a particular day.  Or is that a dumb assumption?

Well, it would pretty much just be a cover band with Bruce as a special guest.

On a related note: has Bruce ever performed any solo shows? Even during his years away from the band in the mid-70s?

I honestly can't recall a single instance.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
CenturyDeprived
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6127 on: April 04, 2016, 11:42:22 AM »

The 1990 string of shows Mike missed still holds a little bit of mystery for me. Obviously, we don't know whether the BB dates or the ESBB dates were booked first, but it seems even if the ESBB dates were booked first, Mike would have to know it could easily conflict with BB dates, as by June they're usually getting into heavy touring.

Did some promoter in Japan just offer a butt-ton of money? Just seems weird Mike would miss out on a string of near-summer shows. Then again, it also looks like he may have strategically chosen to miss some lower-profile BB gigs, including several in Canada.

Stranger, I recall reading someone's report (perhaps Emdeeh?) of the "Mike-less" May 1990 Atlanta show that reported Jeff Foskett was present and sang most of Mike's leads. But was Foskett still part of Mike's "ESBB" at that point? I have some video of some Japan TV stuff the ESBB did in 1990, but I honestly can't remember if Foskett was in that lineup. I want to say no, but I'm not sure.

The June 2, 1990 Barrie, Ontario show is the only extant recording from this string of Mike-less shows that I know of, and Foskett isn't there. Al sings most of Mike's leads, and I think Matt Jardine steps in and sings the falsetto parts.

Foskett did return at some point, as his last gig, captured on video, was the July 4, 1990 show. I always assumed this may well have meant both Mike and Foskett were gone doing gigs with ESBB. But that wouldn't explain why Foskett was at some Mike-less shows and not others. So maybe other stuff was going on with Foskett.

I almost wonder if this was Mike's trial run to see how big an audience (and the reaction) to playing a show without the other BBs present. If he was already planning to find a way to oust Al, maybe it was a gauge to see what would happen with less and less BBs onstage.
Emdeeh
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6128 on: April 04, 2016, 05:02:06 PM »

Stranger, I recall reading someone's report (perhaps Emdeeh?) of the "Mike-less" May 1990 Atlanta show that reported Jeff Foskett was present and sang most of Mike's leads.

It was Foskett and Al singing most of Mike's leads together at that Atlanta show. And Foskett was definitely there -- I have photographic proof.
« Last Edit: April 04, 2016, 05:02:59 PM by Emdeeh » Logged
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6129 on: April 04, 2016, 10:56:51 PM »

On this topic--the BB's playing without various key members, there was the incident where Carl missed a show in Ireland due to the draft issue, and fans were pretty unhappy.  I always found it interesting that the band seemed to be accepted as a live unit without Brian, but not without Carl. Also note that the article refers to him as their 'lead singer,' which of course he was a fair amount of the time by then:

http://brandnewretro.ie/2014/05/08/300-fans-demand-money-back-beach-boys-in-ireland-may-1967/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6130 on: April 04, 2016, 11:07:27 PM »

Back in 1964, if not earlier, on live show contracts, Carl was referred to as the leader. I've seen one (1965, I think) made out to "Carl Wilson & four Beach Boys".  Grin

mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6131 on: April 04, 2016, 11:11:22 PM »

'Carl and the Passions'!
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6132 on: April 04, 2016, 11:15:50 PM »

or in 2016, it could be Carl Wilson, Mike Love & Bruce Johnston, of The Beach Boys!  how would that look on a poster?
mabewa
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6133 on: April 04, 2016, 11:26:45 PM »

We needs to get some holographs for Carl and Dennis...
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #6134 on: April 05, 2016, 01:45:58 AM »

I have a question about "Good Vibrations". Can anyone tell me the date in late 1966 when it was premiered on UK radio? I remember it was in the early evening, on a weekday I believe, presumably in October. I've looked for mention of it in online BBC archives, to no avail. Maybe it was on one of the pirates. (I no longer have my diary for that year.)

The experience was so vivid it's as if it happened yesterday.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6135 on: April 08, 2016, 02:49:00 PM »

Pretty sure it was premičred on pirate radio. On Radio London's "Field's Fab Forty" for October 16th 1966, it was  listed as Tony Windsor's "climber". Wasn't actually listed on the "chart" itself until the 30th.
« Last Edit: April 08, 2016, 02:57:44 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6136 on: April 08, 2016, 03:50:54 PM »

Pretty sure it was premičred on pirate radio. On Radio London's "Field's Fab Forty" for October 16th 1966, it was  listed as Tony Windsor's "climber". Wasn't actually listed on the "chart" itself until the 30th.

Many thanks, Andrew. I remember the day I heard it premičred was a weekday (I'd been working that day). I get the feeling it was a Friday, so it may have been October 14th.

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6137 on: April 09, 2016, 12:32:09 AM »

Does any collector have an opinion as to whether there's an audible or difference in quality between these recent illegal and utterly reprehensible releases?:

LIVE IN THE WEST Live In Osaka, Japan 3.26.2016 (2nd Show)

YOU'RE SO GOOD TO ME Live In Osaka March 26th 2016 (2nd show)

“We live in divisive times.”
mikeddonn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6138 on: April 09, 2016, 02:21:46 AM »

Does any collector have an opinion as to whether there's an audible or difference in quality between these recent illegal and utterly reprehensible releases?:

Where are they for sale?
Juice Brohnston
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6139 on: April 09, 2016, 12:12:19 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Good Vibrations was just certified 2x platinum, like last week!?!? That process seems mighty odd.
You Kane, You Commanded, You Conquered
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #6140 on: April 09, 2016, 12:23:11 PM »

According to Wikipedia, Good Vibrations was just certified 2x platinum, like last week!?!? That process seems mighty odd.

I know Pet Sounds wasn't certified platinum until about 2000.

"Oh! Don't beat on those sticks!"
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6141 on: April 09, 2016, 01:06:30 PM »

Uh... which iconic 60s single is celebrating its 50th anniversary this year ? Suddenly it seems... less odd.

Remember, RIAA certifications aren't automatic: they have to be requested, and paid for.
« Last Edit: April 09, 2016, 01:18:27 PM by Andrew G. Doe » Logged

Steve Mayo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6142 on: April 09, 2016, 01:24:21 PM »

does this mean that as far as "certified units" sold good vibrations is ahead of kokomo? if so, man i can't wait to see that in print.  Smiley

moderatorem non facit stultus est ingenio
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #6143 on: April 09, 2016, 04:45:18 PM »

Where are they for sale?

Where are they for sale?

Where are they for sale?

Board rules prevent that kind of information being exchanged, I understand.

“We live in divisive times.”
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6144 on: April 09, 2016, 11:39:40 PM »

Not so much a new certification as a correcting of an earlier, incorrect certification:

"In December 1966, the record was their first single certified gold by the RIAA. After the criteria for a gold record was modified, the RIAA failed to correct the listing, despite "Good Vibrations" being eligible for status as a platinum record as of 2015. On March 30, 2016, the single was certified platinum for sales of 2 million copies sold by the RIAA."

That should read "recertified platinum...".

Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #6145 on: April 11, 2016, 11:29:56 AM »

Recently I saw a gif of Brian singing into the microphone really close that it hit him on the mouth, after which he gives it a little slap. Looked to be from the mid or late 70's. I don't have the image on hand, but based on the description does anyone know where it might be taken from?

Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6146 on: April 11, 2016, 11:48:09 AM »

Recently I saw a gif of Brian singing into the microphone really close that it hit him on the mouth, after which he gives it a little slap. Looked to be from the mid or late 70's. I don't have the image on hand, but based on the description does anyone know where it might be taken from?
At the beginning of 'Back Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcHx2J3NkI&nohtml5=False
Smiley Smile Associate

spoons rattling

View Profile
« Reply #6147 on: April 11, 2016, 11:49:36 AM »

At the beginning of 'Back Home'
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mXcHx2J3NkI&nohtml5=False

Thanks!

Eric Aniversario
Smiley Smile Associate

Keep the Summer Alive!

View Profile WWW
« Reply #6148 on: April 23, 2016, 12:40:39 AM »

Anyone know why Little Honda is out of chronological sequence on MiC? Sounds a bit out of place.
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #6149 on: April 23, 2016, 01:25:22 AM »

Anyone know why Little Honda is out of chronological sequence on MiC? Sounds a bit out of place.

I haven't got the box set, which makes me a poor judge all round, but might it have something to do with the two stereo mixes it now separates? Otherwise, agreed, it makes no sense. 

gfx
Pages: 1 ... 241 242 243 244 245 [246] 247 248 249 250 251 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx