gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 09:50:38 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla and 47 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399783 times)
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5900 on: November 05, 2015, 10:17:30 PM »

Probably most of us have seen photos from this shoot, which looks like to be from 1966. Two questions:

1. Where's Al? (obviously it's not the first time Al missed a photo shoot)

2. More interestingly, who is the sixth guy?

Didn't that old Lorren Schwarz Daro wear a hat like that back in the day? Or was it Vosse?

It might just be the light reflecting off of his collar, but the guy with the hat kinda looks like he has a white beard.

Well I'll be damned if it's not AGD.

Rumbled.  Smiley

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5901 on: November 10, 2015, 05:55:41 PM »

Not a question, just a little anecdote that doesn't deserve its own thread. I was driving along with the iPod on shuffle when Long Promised Road came on. My daughter (9) looked at the iPod and said, "I didn't know this is the Beach Boys! This is one of my favorite songs!" "Really?" I said, "I didn't think I'd played it for you before and if I had I probably would've mentioned it was a Beach Boy song..." "No! I haven't heard it with you! I've heard it on the radio a lot and I love it!"

I have no idea where she's been hearing Long Promised Road (my guess is that it was on my iPod when she was much younger and the song stuck with her but not the circumstance) but I'm always pleased when she reacts positively to the Beach Boys. She's always playing Good Vibrations to her friends and says that Pet Sounds "sounds like Christmas".
NOLA BB Fan
Smiley Smile Associate

"When you come to a fork in the road, take it."

View Profile
« Reply #5902 on: November 10, 2015, 06:04:05 PM »

I was looking at old posts and read the reviews from the BBs show at the New Orleans JazzFest 4/27/12.
There were some complaints about the sound - the sound is always terrible there and can't figure out why the powers that be haven't figured how to get the right volume, balance etc.

There were also comments about Brian of course. I was saddened to see him on the  large monitor and much of the time he looked, well, the way he looks sometimes (disengaged).

Since this was so long ago perhaps people here already know the possible reason for Brian's dis-ease. I just found out today while looking up something else online. A reporter for Newsweek met one of the supporting musicians that night. The guy told him that Brian had a bad start to his day. Among the problems, his loose shoelaces got caught in an escalator and he fell flat on his face.

A younger person might be able to get up with no problem, but an older person, particularly one with a bad back, well...

"No White Flags." - Team Gleason

"(Brian) got into this really touching music with songs like 'In My Room', and 'Good Vibrations' was amazing. The melodies are so beautiful, almost perfect. I began to realize he was one of the most gifted writers of our generation." - Paul Simon

"The best thing you can be 'like' in music is yourself." Dr. John
filledeplage
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5903 on: November 10, 2015, 06:30:23 PM »

I was looking at old posts and read the reviews from the BBs show at the New Orleans JazzFest 4/27/12.
There were some complaints about the sound - the sound is always terrible there and can't figure out why the powers that be haven't figured how to get the right volume, balance etc.

There were also comments about Brian of course. I was saddened to see him on the  large monitor and much of the time he looked, well, the way he looks sometimes (disengaged).

Since this was so long ago perhaps people here already know the possible reason for Brian's dis-ease. I just found out today while looking up something else online. A reporter for Newsweek met one of the supporting musicians that night. The guy told him that Brian had a bad start to his day. Among the problems, his loose shoelaces got caught in an escalator and he fell flat on his face.

A younger person might be able to get up with no problem, but an older person, particularly one with a bad back, well...
Sometimes people who are intense and are thinking all the time, aren't smiling but trying to take everything in and are engaged in their own way.  It is like that kid dreaming/staring out the window who when you call on him in class heard every word but can be doing two things at once...I don't think Brian misses a thing, or is disengaged but his intensity is focused somewhere else.  Brian misses nothing.   Wink 
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5904 on: November 10, 2015, 09:03:32 PM »

Anyone know what coat Brian is wearing?

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5905 on: November 10, 2015, 10:40:06 PM »

-------
« Last Edit: November 22, 2015, 11:15:04 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5906 on: November 10, 2015, 10:58:59 PM »

What do you mean? Do you mean what's the brand? It shows up a lot in pictures of the European tour 1964.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5907 on: November 11, 2015, 12:13:29 AM »

While wandering around the internet looking for random crumbs about the Beach Boys, I came across Dale Reed, who says he built Dennis' Cobra and he had to go to Brian for the money. No more info in this thread, but he was apparently not professionally building cars at that time, so maybe he knew the Wilsons?
Has anyone met him, talked to him?
http://www.freerepublic.com/focus/f-chat/3332873/posts
He chimes in at post 18.
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 12:24:03 AM by Emily » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5908 on: November 11, 2015, 05:37:18 AM »

What do you mean? Do you mean what's the brand? It shows up a lot in pictures of the European tour 1964.

Yes, I did mean the brand. 
MarcellaHasDirtyFeet
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5909 on: November 11, 2015, 06:00:37 AM »

Is there a particular brand of coat manufacturer that caters exclusively to street pimps? Because that's where I would start if I was trying to track down Brian's coat in this picture.
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5910 on: November 11, 2015, 07:29:13 AM »

Is there a particular brand of coat manufacturer that caters exclusively to street pimps? Because that's where I would start if I was trying to track down Brian's coat in this picture.

Ha, all that fur is a bit much.  I do like it around the collar/hood, though,
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5911 on: November 11, 2015, 07:35:11 AM »

I'm going to scour the internet and see if I can find the brand. I think it's kind of groovin'
Color:
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5912 on: November 11, 2015, 07:50:20 AM »

moved to new thread..
« Last Edit: November 11, 2015, 08:07:44 AM by Emily » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5913 on: November 11, 2015, 09:27:15 AM »

Huh. You kind find almost every women's designer shoe ever made on the internet, but apparently not men's fur jackets. I think the body is river otter.
There seems to have been a trend among rock stars in the mid-sixties though:

bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5914 on: November 11, 2015, 10:08:44 PM »

Good luck trying to find THAT jacket...  Lucky there was no flea epidemic.

I have a hugely insignificant question, but it has well and truly bugged me for ages, and although I've touched in on it before, but I didn't really feel like I got a satisfying answer.  (When you are left still wondering, it can't be a satisfying answer.)

This is a genuine set of questions.

1. Does Mike Love have fans?  Everywhere you look on this internet, it's the same thing.  It seems like nobody in the world loves the Lovester. 

2.  What kind of person is a Mike Love fan?  (If such a species exists.)

3.  When I went to the Mike Love fan page, - and was blasted out of my seat by high volume  unsolicited music - it appeared that this site was directed out to a large number of fans.  I was driven out by his solo work starting up along with a hidden stop button,  so I did not delve far enough in to see if he has his own community. 

4. Does he?

5.  If he does, what the heck do they talk about?

Thanks in advance.  I'll just wait outside this cave for a reply.  Afro  (I really love these emoticons.)

Smilin Ed H
« Reply #5915 on: November 11, 2015, 11:06:42 PM »

Maybe it's baby seal.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5916 on: November 12, 2015, 07:15:41 AM »

Maybe it's baby seal.
It might be adult seal. That's my second guess after river otter. Nobody would get a fluffy white baby seal skin and shear it, slick it, and dye it brown to sell it for 30% of the original price.
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5917 on: November 12, 2015, 07:21:48 AM »

Good luck trying to find THAT jacket...  Lucky there was no flea epidemic.

I have a hugely insignificant question, but it has well and truly bugged me for ages, and although I've touched in on it before, but I didn't really feel like I got a satisfying answer.  (When you are left still wondering, it can't be a satisfying answer.)

This is a genuine set of questions.

1. Does Mike Love have fans?  Everywhere you look on this internet, it's the same thing.  It seems like nobody in the world loves the Lovester.  
-- Evidently he does.
2.  What kind of person is a Mike Love fan?  (If such a species exists.)
-- they seem defensive, understandably. Other than that, I'm guessing they were BB fans from the very early days and Mike was the face and voice they associated most with the awesome music they were hearing and grew attached. Otherwise, I don't know...

3.  When I went to the Mike Love fan page, - and was blasted out of my seat by high volume  unsolicited music - it appeared that this site was directed out to a large number of fans.  I was driven out by his solo work starting up along with a hidden stop button,  so I did not delve far enough in to see if he has his own community.  

4. Does he?
-- don't know

5.  If he does, what the heck do they talk about?
-- don't know ... Maybe how unfair it is that he doesn't get sufficient credit for the work he does?

Thanks in advance.  I'll just wait outside this cave for a reply.  Afro  (I really love these emoticons.)

Not very useful responses in-line.
There are some very nice Mike Love fans on this board. If you chat with them, they can probably express themselves.
And on that emoticon... I think it's meant to be hair, but I like the cave interpretation!
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 08:01:12 AM by Emily » Logged
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5918 on: November 12, 2015, 11:03:04 AM »

Thanks Emily, it's certainly a start.  I'm beginning to think you might be able to count Mike Love's fans on the fingers and toes of a triple amputee.  

This is because I delved into the Mike Love fan page - which was different than the one I saw a year or so ago - and found the forum.  It's a vast, empty space with an ominous echo.  Nobody replies to anybody except dear old Pat, who it turns out has been given the highly inflated title of 'president.'

Here it is for any of you that would like some super light reading, or to contact Pat.  (Go on, she'd love it, she'd be thrilled to bits.)  It looks like Pat has created an ingenious system she had appropriately called a  'sticky', to keep her posts alive long enough to receive an answer.  Took a few years, but she's almost up to double digits on one!

http://www.mikelovefanclub.com/

The fans can be divided into two groups.  Suspected middle age women who have hooked up with Mike and, well, nobody.

Emily, don't be so sure that is an afro.  It pays to look at the world through a different lens sometimes.  3D  (Not that these are lenses, this is clearly a bowl my mother had to display plastic fruit in the seventies. )

« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 02:58:02 PM by bonnie bella » Logged
Emily
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5919 on: November 12, 2015, 11:09:31 AM »

Thanks Emily, it's certainly a start.  I'm beginning to think you might be able to count Mike Love's fans on the fingers and toes of a triple amputee.  

This is because I delved into the Mike Love fan page - which was different than the one I saw a year or so ago - and found the forum.  It's a vast, empty space with an ominous echo.  Nobody replies to anybody except dear old Pat, who it turns out has the highly inflated title of 'president.'

Here it is for any of you that would like some super light reading, or to contact Pat.  (Go on, she'd love it, she'd be thrilled to bits.)  It looks Pat has created an ingenious system she had appropriately called a  'sticky', to keep her posts alive long enough to receive an answer.  Took a few years, but she's almost up to double digits on one!

http://www.mikelovefanclub.com/

The fans can be divided into two groups.  Suspected middle age women who have hooked up with Mike and, well, nobody.

Emily, don't be so sure that is an afro.  It pays to look at the world through a different lens sometimes.  3D  (Not that these are lenses, this is clearly a bowl my mother had to display plastic fruit in the seventies. )

That's an awesome bowl!
Honestly, I had no idea what the "cave" image was meant to be until I saw the :Afro text when I replied to you!
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5920 on: November 12, 2015, 11:19:38 AM »

I know, and the fruit looked especially real...
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5921 on: November 12, 2015, 11:52:42 AM »

I don't understand why your being so rude and mean spirited towards Mike's fans.   Undecided
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5922 on: November 12, 2015, 02:36:08 PM »

Not meaning to offend, merely trying to find a couple.

Sorry Pat, Francine and the other one.

The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5923 on: November 12, 2015, 02:46:55 PM »

Not meaning to offend, merely trying to find a couple.

Sorry Pat, Francine and the other one.

Common sense would dictate there are a bunch of them.  Roll Eyes
bonnie bella
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5924 on: November 12, 2015, 03:00:27 PM »

Okay, fair enough.  I apologise for offending any ML fans out there, as I am sure I have.

Welcome to my first serious post.
« Last Edit: November 12, 2015, 03:12:33 PM by bonnie bella » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 232 233 234 235 236 [237] 238 239 240 241 242 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx