gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680598 Posts in 27600 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 28, 2024, 10:48:58 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Aomdiddlywalla, parlay, Gosh Darn Highway (+ 1 Hidden) and 54 Guests are viewing this topic.       « previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399533 times)
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

Maybe I put too much faith in atmosphere

View Profile
« Reply #5375 on: January 18, 2015, 10:43:12 AM »

Apparently it was the unrelated Ron Wilson for whom Brian produced a single for. Not sure if it's the same Ron Wilson that played in The Surfaris though.

Andrew Doe has said it is not.  I've tried to find more information on this guy to no avail.
I see that Brian and the Ron Wilson of "I'll Keep On Loving You" had this company called Ron-Brian Music Production (singular). Surely the author [not co-author, sorry about that] of "WTA" has to be this singing Ron? AGD says it's "a pretty safe bet" that it is. [Source]

« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 12:36:20 PM by john k » Logged

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
You're Grass and I'm a Power Mower: A Beach Boys Orchestration Web Series
the Carbon Freeze | Eclectic Essays & Art
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5376 on: January 18, 2015, 10:53:41 AM »

Thanks for the responses.  So Ron then?  Next door neighbour to the TV [and cartoon...as opposed to car tune] version of of Dennis the Menace.  Ron-Brian.  Never heard THAT one before.  Yet it was there all along.

I know so little.

And type so much.

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5377 on: January 18, 2015, 10:59:19 AM »

Okay, now this website might not be a reliable source but this got my attention.
http://www.bradcoweb.com/rockgroups/new-bw.htm

Brian was rumored to release some singles secretly such as a song with the name Ron Wilson on it.

Are Brian Wilson and Ron Wilson one and the same?  Shocked

Has anybody heard the obscure Ron Wilson single?  If so, does it sound like Brian singing?  Could this be a forgotten Brian solo single?

EDIT: Never mind.  http://www.northernsoul45s.co.uk/product_detail.asp?id=2411  Definitely not Brian.  So who is he?
« Last Edit: January 18, 2015, 03:45:40 PM by Rocky Raccoon » Logged

Ninten
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5378 on: January 19, 2015, 01:33:10 PM »

Just got the Good Vibrations box set and was flipping through the booklet when I saw this:

"During the past fifteen years, the Beach Boys have recorded a number of songs for motion picture soundtracks (e.g. "Americathon." "Problem Child") that weren't hits. (Note: Those will be included on a forthcoming Beach Boys rarities collection.)"

Does this mean that there was actually some sort of rarities comp featuring the miscellaneous film tracks being planned at the time? If so, why didn't this end up materializing? Was there any other mention of what might have been on it?
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5379 on: January 20, 2015, 02:24:02 AM »

I know so little.

And type so much.

This screams to be on a tshirt !  Grin

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Lee Marshall
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5380 on: January 20, 2015, 03:40:45 AM »

I knew that you in particular would appreciate the sentiment Andrew.  T'would truly be a fitting shirt for me... ...and one or two others I might suggest. Wink

"Add Some...Music...To Your Day.  I do.  It's the only way to fly.  Well...what was I gonna put here?  An apple a day keeps the doctor away?  Hum me a few bars."   Lee Marshall [2014]

Donald  TRUMP!  ...  Is TOAST.  "What a disaster."  "Overrated?"... ... ..."BIG LEAGUE."  "Lots of people are saying it"  "I will tell you that."   Collusion, Money Laundering, Treason.   B'Bye Dirty Donnie!!!  Adios!!!  Bon Voyage!!!  Toodles!!!  Move yourself...SPANKY!!!  Jail awaits.  It's NO "Witch Hunt". There IS Collusion...and worse.  The Russian Mafia!!  Conspiracies!!  Fraud!!  This racist is goin' down...and soon.  Good Riddance.  And take the kids.
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5381 on: January 21, 2015, 09:40:25 PM »

Would there be any chance that  airchecks exist of the show Brian was listening to in 1963 where he heard "Be MY Baby" for the first time?
 Wink Martindale on KHJ , right?
Custom Machine
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5382 on: January 23, 2015, 04:30:09 PM »

Would there be any chance that  airchecks exist of the show Brian was listening to in 1963 where he heard "Be MY Baby" for the first time?
 Wink Martindale on KHJ , right?

KHJ didn't become a current hits rock station until May 1965.  When first hearing Be My Baby, Brian would have most likely been listening to KFWB or KRLA.  Wink Martindale and Brian's lyricist Roger Christian were jocks on KFWB when Be My Baby debuted on the KFWB survey for the week ending Aug. 31, 1963, when Surfer Girl was holding the # 1 position. http://www.oldiesloon.com/ca/kfwb630831.htm.  Be My Baby debuted on the KRLA survey dated Aug. 25, 1963, again with Surfer Girl holding the # 1 position.  http://www.oldiesloon.com/ca/krla082563.htm.

Hard to say, of course, exactly what day and time Brian first heard the song.  Reelradio.com has a scoped aircheck of Ted Quillin on KRLA 8-27-63, but Be My Baby isn't played.  Reel Radio also has an aircheck Casey Kasem on KRLA 10-26-63, when Be My Baby was still on the survey, but again, no Be My Baby.  That aircheck of Mr. Kasem in 1963 is a fascinating one, in that his delivery sounds quite different from the one he later developed for American Top 40, being flatter and devoid of much inflection.

halblaineisgood
« Reply #5383 on: January 24, 2015, 02:47:26 PM »

Thanks for the info , custom machine.

There must be an unscoped aircheck of Be My Baby from 1963. I still hold out hope.  3D
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5384 on: January 24, 2015, 02:52:59 PM »

I'm glad this thread exists. This is definitely about as insignificant as questions get. I'm glad this thread exists.

I was listening to Light Album and wondering if Here Comes The Night wouldn't be so inferior and silly sounding, if that was the version you heard first, as opposed to the one on Wild Honey?

Is there anyone on this board with personal experience of hearing it before they heard the original?
halblaineisgood
« Reply #5385 on: February 01, 2015, 06:31:50 AM »

Is there a photo of post-Landy Brian with his shirt tucked in ? 

Also, are there any photos of post-Landy Brian wearing a suit with no shoes or socks while wearing a bolo tie?

any post-Landy photos of Brian in swimwear? HAs Brian gone swimming since 1991?

brother john
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5386 on: February 01, 2015, 01:01:48 PM »

Anyone remember who was responsible for the BB's arrangement of The Lord's Prayer? Was it an arrangement Brian borrowed from elsewhere, was it an existing one he modified for the group, or did he do it all himself?

Ta.

Religion is a privilege, not a right.
Jim Rockford
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5387 on: February 01, 2015, 03:55:27 PM »

Can Mike play any other instruments other than the saxophone? http://youtu.be/pv7OtEguam8?t=15m51s This video made me want to know. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley
Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5388 on: February 02, 2015, 02:59:11 AM »

Can Mike play any other instruments other than the saxophone? http://youtu.be/pv7OtEguam8?t=15m51s This video made me want to know. Any info would be greatly appreciated.  Smiley

Theremin ( think I spelled it wrong) and some Piano.

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
MookieZ
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5389 on: February 02, 2015, 04:56:17 AM »

Mike absolutely cannot play the theremin.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5390 on: February 02, 2015, 05:01:00 AM »

He only has basic knowledge in the woo-woo-machine, which isn't actually a Theremin, but he hasn't played that in many years either. Cheesy

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5391 on: February 02, 2015, 08:24:53 AM »

To those who have heard it, do you know which melody of "Chain Reaction of Love" is played by Brian in the "Spark in the Dark" recording? To me, the "started a Chain Reaction of love" part sounds like it would follow the Loop de Loop chorus well but I'm no archivist.
guitarfool2002
Global Moderator

"Barba non facit aliam historici"

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5392 on: February 02, 2015, 08:52:43 AM »

From this collection: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15038.0.html

Notice in both photos, from different events on the same block of appearances, Mike is playing a G major chord on the guitar. I think like a lot of musicians he can find his way around a few "chord" instruments like piano and guitar, but when it comes time for performing and recording, when you're surrounded by more accomplished players you let them do the heavy lifting.

"All of us have the privilege of making music that helps and heals - to make music that makes people happier, stronger, and kinder. Don't forget: Music is God's voice." - Brian Wilson
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5393 on: February 02, 2015, 08:59:46 AM »

From this collection: http://smileysmile.net/board/index.php/topic,15038.0.html

Notice in both photos, from different events on the same block of appearances, Mike is playing a G major chord on the guitar. I think like a lot of musicians he can find his way around a few "chord" instruments like piano and guitar, but when it comes time for performing and recording, when you're surrounded by more accomplished players you let them do the heavy lifting.

It would be really interesting to find anyone who attended this appearance who could testify as to whether Mike actually played anything on that guitar, or simply held it as a prop

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5394 on: February 02, 2015, 10:35:03 AM »

Anyone remember who was responsible for the BB's arrangement of The Lord's Prayer? Was it an arrangement Brian borrowed from elsewhere, was it an existing one he modified for the group, or did he do it all himself?

Ta.
According to a couple of sources----here and here----it would seem to have been Brian alone. (You might have to scroll down briefly for the first one.)

"Ik bun moar een eenvoudige boerenlul en doar schoam ik mien niet veur" (Normaal, 1978)
LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5395 on: February 02, 2015, 02:53:55 PM »

Ta.
According to a couple of sources----here and here----it would seem to have been Brian alone. (You might have to scroll down briefly for the first one.)

The melody line (the high part in the harmony) closely follows the version composed by Albert Hay Malotte in 1935.  As far as I can tell Brian arranged the other vocal parts.

Lee
Pretty Funky
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5396 on: February 02, 2015, 06:02:33 PM »

any post-Landy photos of Brian in swimwear?

http://www.smileysmile.net/uncanny/media/al_1490.jpg
JK
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5397 on: February 03, 2015, 01:34:25 AM »

Ta.

The melody line (the high part in the harmony) closely follows the version composed by Albert Hay Malotte in 1935.  As far as I can tell Brian arranged the other vocal parts.

Lee
Thanks, Lee. This is the first recorded version of Malotte's composition sung by tenor John Charles Thomas: 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylfr7XK34mY

Slow In Brain
Smiley Smile Associate

Rainbow Eyes

View Profile
« Reply #5398 on: February 03, 2015, 02:18:22 AM »

He only has basic knowledge in the woo-woo-machine, which isn't actually a Theremin, but he hasn't played that in many years either. Cheesy

Thanks for the correction

"When the time comes an American can't tell the truth because the Government doesn't, that's the time to give the country back to the Indians, if they'll have it." - Sam Holland

"What draws us all closer and makes us all care. Is not what we have, but the things that we share." - Jill Wolf
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5399 on: February 03, 2015, 06:00:18 AM »

Thanks for the correction

Correction? You spelled it right. Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 211 212 213 214 215 [216] 217 218 219 220 221 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx