gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680750 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 12:20:36 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406373 times)
wantsomecorn
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5225 on: October 07, 2014, 11:40:42 AM »

Does anyone know exactly when Matt Jardine started touring? The first show he's listed at on Eric's website is 6/26/88, but Bobby Figueroa seems to have left at the end of 1987, so it doesn't look like a 1-for-1 switch.

On our way through this "backstage" maze, Bruce joined up with the group and said hello, singing "It Never Rains in Southern California" and joking with some of the older ladies. I'm not sure if they knew he was a Beach Boy or simply an enthusiastic elderly gay gentleman.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5226 on: October 07, 2014, 02:23:06 PM »

Does anyone know exactly when Matt Jardine started touring? The first show he's listed at on Eric's website is 6/26/88, but Bobby Figueroa seems to have left at the end of 1987, so it doesn't look like a 1-for-1 switch.

Think it was sometime in the early 1970's

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Beachlad
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5227 on: October 12, 2014, 09:18:40 PM »

So my special needs7 year old Son love Pap oom mow mow.  So I jump on You Tube and just pick one of the dozen version and find the MSU with Al on lead. My son gets this disgusted look on his face starts to cry and says No Brian.<Lol> I wouldn't even of guessed he would know the difference. Just a proud papa moment. He also has been going around Hey Siri Beach Boys Pap
oom mow mow.
♩♬🐸 Billy C ♯♫♩🐇
Pissing off drunks since 1978
Global Moderator

🍦🍦 Pet Demon for Sale - $5 or best offer ☮☮

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5228 on: October 12, 2014, 11:21:55 PM »

My daughter has the same reaction when she hears Surf's Up with Carl. She prefers any version where Brian sings, including BWPS.

Need your song mixed/mastered? Contact me at fear2stop@yahoo.com. Serious inquiries only, please!
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5229 on: October 13, 2014, 12:11:01 AM »

My daughter has the same reaction when she hears Surf's Up with Carl. She prefers any version where Brian sings, including BWPS.

I need another beer…

Grin

“We live in divisive times.”
smilethebeachboysloveyou
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5230 on: October 13, 2014, 03:05:52 AM »

Your daughter has excellent taste!
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5231 on: October 13, 2014, 09:32:16 AM »

When is Bellagio going to be updated?
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5232 on: October 13, 2014, 10:32:04 AM »

when the swallows come back to capistrano

LeeDempsey
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5233 on: October 13, 2014, 11:28:03 AM »

Was there ever any animosity towards Brian from any members of the Wrecking Crew? I was listening back to the "California Girls" session where he has them do more than 40 takes and I can imagine some people probably got frustrated at a certain point. Although, they all seem to be in good spirits during recording, and they probably knew what they were getting into at this point. I don't think I've ever read anyone from the Wrecking Crew say a bad thing about Brian, but I'd be interested to see otherwise.

Carol Kaye, on the BW Songwriter DVD, talks about how Brian had the Crew play a song over and over again (part of me wants to say it was 'Help Me Rhonda, but I could be wrong), because Brian was showing it to people over the phone or something. At the end of the session Carol gave Brian the middle finger as she walked out. She said that after that Brian never really wasted their time again.

Two observations.

1. Brian (OK, Capitol) was paying for the session so it was none of her business how long it took and what Brian did...

2. In the (admittedly unreliable) book The Wrecking Crew, she's interviewed and states it was a "Rhonda" session, but the author states it was the infamous Murry-interrupted session... which of course, was purely vocal, so someone's got it way wrong.

On the "Help Me Rhonda" tracking sessions you can hear the crew continuing to play the repeating bars of the ending for well beyond what would have been required for a proper fadeout.  Not being a bass player I can't speak to how difficult that bass passage may have been on Carol's left hand and wrist to keep repeating over and over, but it doesn't seem to be something that would have caused her any injury other than boredom.

Lee
rogerlancelot
« Reply #5234 on: October 13, 2014, 12:39:00 PM »

Can anybody help identify this Mike Love video? It's called "Can You Help Me With My Melon?" and I was just wondering if anybody knew the purpose for it:

http://youtu.be/3Ga6xVvLsgk
metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5235 on: October 13, 2014, 02:36:55 PM »

Can anybody help identify this Mike Love video? It's called "Can You Help Me With My Melon?" and I was just wondering if anybody knew the purpose for it:

The original is Mike's appearance on the Merv Griffin Show singing "Looking Back With Love." As to the aim of this Youtube upload, it serves the same purpose as those shred videos...

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5236 on: October 13, 2014, 02:44:52 PM »

The original is Mike's appearance on the Merv Griffin Show singing "Looking Back With Love." As to the aim of this Youtube upload, it serves the same purpose as those shred videos...

which is....?

rogerlancelot
« Reply #5237 on: October 13, 2014, 02:46:18 PM »

I'm not sure if I understand the "melon" connection between the two videos.
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5238 on: October 13, 2014, 02:49:17 PM »

Where was the melon?

metal flake paint
Smiley Smile Associate

This harmony kick

View Profile
« Reply #5239 on: October 13, 2014, 04:35:05 PM »

which is....?

...whatever one's opinion of the purpose of those shred videos happens to be.
« Last Edit: October 13, 2014, 10:17:04 PM by metal flake paint » Logged

"Quit screaming and start singing from your hearts, huh?" Murry Wilson, March 1965.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5240 on: October 13, 2014, 08:19:53 PM »

Besides the released version (on GIOMH) of Desert Drive and numerous live versions on live bootlegs, how many early versions of Desert Drive with Andy Paley "exist?" All I know of is an instrumental/jam version on the Slightly American Music bootleg.

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5241 on: October 13, 2014, 10:54:08 PM »

That's it, as far as anyone know.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5242 on: October 13, 2014, 10:56:18 PM »

When is Bellagio going to be updated?

Which bits ?  Smiley

Mea culpa. I will set to tomorrow.

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5243 on: October 14, 2014, 12:48:20 AM »

how many early versions of Desert Drive with Andy Paley "exist?" All I know of is an instrumental/jam version on the Slightly American Music bootleg.

Too bad that wasn't finished with the boys' vocals back then. Carl was still alive at the time. And Mike's voice belongs on on the lead there. The GIOMH version is so terrible, it totally ruined the reputation of that song.

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5244 on: October 14, 2014, 02:36:28 AM »

how many early versions of Desert Drive with Andy Paley "exist?" All I know of is an instrumental/jam version on the Slightly American Music bootleg.

Too bad that wasn't finished with the boys' vocals back then. Carl was still alive at the time. And Mike's voice belongs on on the lead there. The GIOMH version is so terrible, it totally ruined the reputation of that song.

And i wish Jeff didn't mispronounce 'coyotes'. I don't care if "Kigh-otes"- scans better, it sounds embarrassing. Pick a different animal.
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5245 on: October 15, 2014, 12:42:39 AM »

And i wish Jeff didn't mispronounce 'coyotes'. I don't care if "Kigh-otes"- scans better, it sounds embarrassing. Pick a different animal.

Not nearly as bad as having a guided walk through an old state library and the guide pronouncing "Don Quijote" as "Don Kee-yotee". I was tempted to ask "Isn't that the one with the roadrunner?"
« Last Edit: October 15, 2014, 05:08:24 PM by Micha » Logged

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5246 on: October 15, 2014, 01:34:40 AM »

One of my English tutors used to pronounce it "Don Quick-zote". Seriously.

Please delete my account
Smiley Smile Associate

Please delete my account

View Profile
« Reply #5247 on: October 15, 2014, 01:49:17 AM »

Not nearly as bad as having a guided walk through an old state library and the guide pronouncing "Don Quijote" as "Don Kee-yotee". I wa tempted to ask "Isn't that the one with the roadrunner?"

Oh, that's how I pronounce the name. Is it wrong?

One of my English tutors used to pronounce it "Don Quick-zote". Seriously.

That's the traditional English way of pronouncing it, before the fashion changed from Anglicization to accuracy. I believe both pronunciations are now deemed acceptable in English. Melvyn Bragg pronounced it this way fairly recently on the Don Quixote episode of BBC Radio 4's "In Our Time".

Please delete my account
Loaf
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5248 on: October 15, 2014, 02:12:19 AM »

It just occurred to me that Mike Love's solo career has actually been a prank designed by Christopher Guest for a movie. Looking Back With Love sounds like something from A Mighty Wind. Same with Mike Love Not War, First Love, Country Love. The joke's actually on us, guys. Mike's been in on it since the start.
SMiLE Brian
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5249 on: October 15, 2014, 05:32:47 AM »

LOL

And production aside, I’d so much rather hear a 14 year old David Marks shred some guitar on Chug-a-lug than hear a 51 year old Mike Love sing about bangin some chick in a swimming pool.-rab2591
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 205 206 207 208 209 [210] 211 212 213 214 215 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx