gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 10:37:26 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406337 times)
ThisWholeWorld
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5175 on: September 13, 2014, 08:39:17 AM »

In Ian MacDonald's book 'Revolution in the Head' he claims that The Beatles deliberately avoided fade-out endings (especially on their early records). However, when thinking about endings I realised that 'Our Prayer' and 'Girl Don't Tell Me' were the only BB songs I could immediately think of that don't fade out, any reason why Brian/the band used Fade-Outs so often?

Sorry, I know it's a pretty off the wall question

Brian nearly always let takes "break down" (both instrumentally and vocally) and never seemed to have any desire for the group or the studio musicians he worked with to create a cold ending.

IMO Girl Don't Tell Me is a nod to The Beatles. It is a very slight musical rewrite of Ticket To Ride and one of the few BB songs (besides the Party! album) to feature an acoustic guitar, overall the production is very Beatley.  The cold ending was probably deliberately done to sound more like a Beatles song.

Thank for your input! In my opinion it's a shame in some cases because some songs would sound fantastic with an interesting vocal flourish to end (Ballad of Ol' Betsy comes to mind) And yes, Girl Don't Tell Me is a great little nod to The Beatles
branaa09
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5176 on: September 13, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »

ThisWholeWorld's "fades" question took me back 38 years to when I started listening to the Beach Boys. The fades added an element of mystery to many of the songs, as I was left wondering what the song did after it had faded away on the disc. Especially tracks like California Girls - in some alternate universe, was Hal Blaine still finding an infinite number of ways to delver those last repetitive bars? Beyond the fade, did the song continue for another few verses that we'd never get to hear? In a way the SoT session boots answered that and at the same time spoiled the mystery element, with the exception of Heroes, which apparently did go on eternally!

I have always loved the fades on Help Me, Rhonda and Good Vibrations. I have always wondered what had went on after the fade since I was a kid. The SOT and other sessions boots showed me that the endings to both songs are fantastic. Help Me, Rhonda with the galloping drums and guitar jam and Good Vibrations with all of the instruments coming in and playing until a track cuts off.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2014, 11:02:44 PM by branaa09 » Logged
Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #5177 on: September 14, 2014, 12:23:15 AM »

Generally I prefer a good fade and the Beach Boys were masters at creating really memorable ones that often deviated from the rest of the song: Custom Machine, Lonely Sea, Funky Pretty, Celebrate The News, Til I Die, Surf's Up (obviously), Airplane, even Lines.

P.S. Not one single Nirvana song ends with a fade, fact fans!! Smiley
ThisWholeWorld
Smiley Smile Newbie

View Profile
« Reply #5178 on: September 14, 2014, 07:30:49 AM »

Generally I prefer a good fade and the Beach Boys were masters at creating really memorable ones that often deviated from the rest of the song: Custom Machine, Lonely Sea, Funky Pretty, Celebrate The News, Til I Die, Surf's Up (obviously), Airplane, even Lines.

Really, that's interesting, perhaps fades aren't "grunge" or something?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #5179 on: September 16, 2014, 02:54:45 PM »

While finishing up the December 1998 issue of Endless Summer Quarterly, I'm intrigued by a few events that occurred during that time and have a few questions...mostly concerning David Marks' return to the band.

I know David returned as Carl started to get sick and from what I read, Marks' addition was a really big deal...so being the young fan that I am ("hardcore" fan of 14 years), I was wondering if any part of the then current shows catered to any of Dave's playing talents and abilities. Did he ever sing lead on anything? I'm sure he played some great leads and solos. Was there any "deep album tracks" played live from his few original years? I'm sure it was mostly celebrated greatest hits from Safari, USA, Surfer Girl, and LDC. Just thought I'd see, very curious.

My other question is, David mentioned that himself, Bruce, and Adrian Baker were in the studio working on a surf instrumental medley with Miserlou, Pipeline,  Wipeout, and Walk Don't Run; did this ever materialize? He said it was Bruce's idea and wanted to market it in Japan. Was anything ever recorded? Did anyone release it?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #5180 on: September 16, 2014, 02:57:34 PM »

You're a little behind the times, ain't ya? 

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Cliff1000uk
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5181 on: September 16, 2014, 04:04:53 PM »

*cough* Negative Creep! Just call me the AGD of Nirvana-proving well meaning fans wrong for over 20 years! Grin
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5182 on: September 16, 2014, 06:17:51 PM »

You're a little behind the times, ain't ya? 
I never had the chance to read all this history in most of the ESQ's from 94 to present...I was given every issue from between those years and started reading them at the beginning of the year...so there's some stuff I'm learning that nobody ever talks about anywhere else, so I think it's fun bringing up topics that aren't brought up...but I am posting under the proper thread, so....

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
RangeRoverA1
Smiley Smile Associate

I drink expired tea. wanna sip or spit?

View Profile
« Reply #5183 on: September 16, 2014, 09:28:26 PM »

Nod to the Beatles, maybe? Iir, Curt was their loyal fan.

Short notice: the cat you see to the left is the best. Not counting your indoor cat who might have habit sitting at your left side when you post at SmileySmile.

Who is Lucille Ball & Vivian Vance Duet Fan Club CEO? Btw, such Club exists?

Zany zealous Zeddie eats broccoli at brunch break but doesn't do's & don't's due to duties.
Cyncie
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5184 on: September 18, 2014, 05:49:03 AM »

Okay, I have a question for board members. Why do people here refer to the post SMiLE era as the band's "progressive" period? What was "un-progressive" about their work through Pet Sounds and SMiLE? There is no doubt that this as a more collaborative period, and it is certainly marked by the band trying to find a new voice; but progressive implies that everything that came before was derivative and only the post SMiLE material was breaking new ground. Pet Sounds aside, the band created a whole new California sound in the early sixties (often imitated but never matched). The fact that the sound had become an "oldies" sound by the 70's doesn't change its impact in the early 60's.  That's just the cycle of music taste.  And Pet Sounds and SMiLE are legendary precisely because they broke the mold for pop music expectations.

I'm not trying to take away from the less Brian centered work of the 70's, I'm just trying to understand a perspective that everything prior to that was just pop fluff and the only "progressive" things they did were after their commercial prime.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5185 on: September 22, 2014, 02:50:45 PM »

Mike n' Bruce were meant to play Wembley in November.  It appeared on Mike's own page, then it disappeared.  Now, it's getting a little close and it's still unannounced.  Given that the final show of the C50 tour took place there but two years ago, what's the odds of a 'Nutty Jerry' scenario?  Not suggesting that Wembley have actually pulled the rug out, but they might have had concerns regarding confused marketing etc and the possibility of people buying tickets thinking it's the same show as before.  Both Wembley and Mike still have that date free in their respective diaries.

I still can taste the ocean breeze...
bringahorseinhere?
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5186 on: September 22, 2014, 07:51:32 PM »

why did the beach boys include 'little old lady from pasadena' so many times in their live set?Huh

I mean, it appears on the live 64 album, but they never actually made a studio recording of it....

it would seem they have 'heaps' of other great songs of their own, but they keep rehashing this one into the live gig....

??

RickB
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5187 on: September 22, 2014, 08:24:04 PM »

Mike n' Bruce were meant to play Wembley in November.  It appeared on Mike's own page, then it disappeared.  Now, it's getting a little close and it's still unannounced.  Given that the final show of the C50 tour took place there but two years ago, what's the odds of a 'Nutty Jerry' scenario?  Not suggesting that Wembley have actually pulled the rug out, but they might have had concerns regarding confused marketing etc and the possibility of people buying tickets thinking it's the same show as before.  Both Wembley and Mike still have that date free in their respective diaries.
What's a "nutty Jerry" scenario?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5188 on: September 23, 2014, 12:48:19 AM »

Yup, two years on with completely different advertising and after Mike & Bruce toured the UK this summer, us Brits are still dumb enough to think it'll be the C50 lineup. The 'announcement' of the Wembley (and other European gigs) on Mike's website was apparently down to a slight case of over-enthusiasm.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Jay
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5189 on: September 23, 2014, 01:08:23 AM »

One question that I've been thinking about lately is, have any "insiders" heard the "raw" and unaltered version of any of the songs off the "That's Why God Made The Radio" album? I'm just curios how something like "From There To Back Again" would sound without all the auto-tune and slick production.

A son of anarchy surrounded by the hierarchy.
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5190 on: September 23, 2014, 03:04:32 AM »

Yup, two years on with completely different advertising and after Mike & Bruce toured the UK this summer, us Brits are still dumb enough to think it'll be the C50 lineup.

Precisely.  The Beach Boys appeals to all sorts.  You do get more of the donkey-eyed among the crowds at Beach Boys concerts as opposed to, say, a Brian concert.  Different behaviour, some of it unappealing.  It's quite possible that some of these folk don't know much about who exactly is on the stage or spend little time thinking about it, but they want a good time.  They see an ad for The Beach Boys at the same venue as they saw them last time.  They might want to go.  They might need correcting about the minor details.

True, it is two years on since C50, but it's the first reappearance in England of 'The Beach Boys' at a major concert venue (not at some silly racecourse or something).  If I dealt with bookings at Wembley Arena, I'd at least give it a little thought about marketing and the information given to avoid any hassle later.

Anyway, you're probably right.

Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5191 on: September 23, 2014, 03:19:53 AM »

What's a "nutty Jerry" scenario?

About a venue that cancelled Mike's gig in confusion -

http://blogs.houstonpress.com/rocks/2012/06/the_beach_boys_are_not_coming.php

Sam_BFC
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5192 on: September 23, 2014, 03:37:05 AM »

I've been trying to play the awesome bass line that Brian plays during the tag of the piano versions of Surf's Up, just wanna check with anyone that I have the notes right, I'm not sure if I have that final descent right or not:

F-min7.....................C-min7....................Bb....................C-min7
F(low)....C...F(high)...F(low)....C...F(high)...Bb.....F.E.F.Bb.B.C......C.G.......C.Bb.A.Ab.G.F (and repeat).

How do others play it?

"..be cautious, don't get your hopes up, look over your shoulder because heartbreak and darkness are always ready to pounce"

petsoundsnola
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #5193 on: September 23, 2014, 05:06:14 AM »

True, it is two years on since C50, but it's the first reappearance in England of 'The Beach Boys' at a major concert venue (not at some silly racecourse or something).  

Henley Festival 2013

Hampton Court Festival 2014 (second night added due to public demand).

As for the racecourse gigs... over 16,000 turned up at York this summer. I'm betting they don't usually get that for just the racing, unless it's the Ebor Meeting. So, not so silly after all. Had the Wembley gig happened, the venue would have been supplied - like every other venue that books the band - with extensive publicity material which would leave no-one in doubt as to exactly who was - and wasn't - appearing. The Nutty Jerry's scenario arises when someone at the venue Googles "Beach Boys" and uses the first image they see. I doubt Wembley would be so unprofessional.
« Last Edit: September 23, 2014, 05:09:56 AM by The Legendary AGD » Logged

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
Fire Wind
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5194 on: September 23, 2014, 06:22:42 AM »

Okay.  Well, if November's off, hopefully they'll plan it again at some point.

BB Universe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5195 on: September 29, 2014, 11:23:53 AM »

Anybody see this somewhat recent picture of Phil Spector?

Holy moly....

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=891075
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5196 on: September 29, 2014, 11:30:59 AM »

Anybody see this somewhat recent picture of Phil Spector?

Holy moly....

http://music.msn.com/music/article.aspx?news=891075
It's a cut scene from the Special Extended Edition of The Lord of the Wall of the Sounds: The Detention of the King.

« Last Edit: September 29, 2014, 11:34:21 AM by Lowbacca » Logged
The Cincinnati Kid
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #5197 on: September 29, 2014, 12:48:30 PM »

Is there anyplace I can get the C50 Japan show or do I have to get it off of Youtube?
Lowbacca
Smiley Smile Associate

please let me wonder

View Profile
« Reply #5198 on: September 29, 2014, 12:52:25 PM »

Is there anyplace I can get the C50 Japan show or do I have to get it off of Youtube?
No official way to get a digital copy, I guess.. I got it off Youtube, too.
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #5199 on: September 29, 2014, 12:57:21 PM »

Bought it on Amazon Uk… grey area release, not the greatest quality. Second-guessing various reviews if seems some copies might be better quality than others.

“We live in divisive times.”
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 203 204 205 206 207 [208] 209 210 211 212 213 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx