gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680749 Posts in 27614 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims April 19, 2024, 07:33:36 AM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 286 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1406231 times)
Gabo
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4575 on: January 07, 2014, 09:48:30 PM »

Did Brian write the lyrics and melody to "At My Window"? That was always a song I was confused about. I know the backing track was originally a cover of "Raspberries And Strawberries", an idea by Al, but I never found out what Al did and what Brian did to get a credit on this particular song after it was redeveloped and released. It's just such a beautiful track and the lyrics sound like Brian's creation, but it's something that is usually always just attributed as an Al song for some reason.

It's possible Brian wrote the melody and lyrics. In the 1976 televised interview, he seemed really enthusiastic about the song when the interviewer brought up Sunflower.

I think I read that Al produced the backing track, though.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 09:50:58 PM by BluebirdMountain » Logged
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4576 on: January 09, 2014, 10:44:43 PM »

Who was Ron Wilson and why did Brian spend so much time recording his tune "We're Together Again"?
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

what it means to be human

View Profile
« Reply #4577 on: January 09, 2014, 11:45:51 PM »

Who was Ron Wilson and why did Brian spend so much time recording his tune "We're Together Again"?
I assume it's the same Ron Wilson that Brian produced the single for in 68:I'll keep on Lovin You/As Teara Go by. (Source: http://www.surfermoon.com/essays/bwprods.html)

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
startBBtoday
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4578 on: January 10, 2014, 09:19:02 AM »

http://youtu.be/xk1pRu40TmE?t=9m21s

Did Bruce frequently play saxophone? Did Brian frequently play keytar? With Jimmy Page playing guitar, this is an absolutely insane version of Barbara Ann.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4579 on: January 10, 2014, 12:11:49 PM »

I seem to remember having an mp3 of a recording/session of To Sir With Love from the late 70s with Brian singing with another guy, was it Rocky Pamplin? I remember it being kinda sparse in instrumentation, was this ever intended for a American Spring or another side project?

To view my video documentation of my Beach Boys collection go to www.youtube.com/justinplank

"Someone needs to tell Adrian Baker that imitation isn't innovation." -The Real Beach Boy

~post of the century~
"Well, you reached out to me too, David, and I'd be more than happy to fill Bgas's shoes. You don't need him anyway - some of us have the same items in our collections as he does and we're also much better writers. Spoiled brat....."
-Mikie

"in this online beach boy community, I've found that you're either correct or corrected. Which in my mind is all in good fun to show ones knowledge of their favorite band."- punkinhead
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

The triumph of The Hickey Script !

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4580 on: January 10, 2014, 03:17:09 PM »

That was indeed Rocky, and the performance of both Brian and he was truly lamentable.

The four sweetest words in my vocabulary: "This poster is ignored".
bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4581 on: January 10, 2014, 03:27:35 PM »

Now there's one I think I'm glad I missed out on!

Nothing I post is my opinion, it's all a message from God
Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4582 on: January 11, 2014, 05:03:08 AM »

I think he is the same as this one, but I'm not sure:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ron_Wilson_(drummer)

My perverse opinion is he should have joined the Beach Boys after Dennis' death. Evil

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4583 on: January 11, 2014, 09:59:17 AM »

Micha, it's been established for, oh, over 30 years that this is an entirely different Ron Wilson.

BTW, the last few Wikipedia links you've kindly posted have left the final ) off.  Smiley

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4584 on: January 11, 2014, 02:21:30 PM »

Was listening to Dennis Mitchell's Breakfast with the Beatles- episode 1168- White Album with Happy Nat...anyways there was a recording with Kenny Everett interviewing John (around the time Paul, George, and Ringo were recording Don't Pass Me By) and John plays a "basterdized" version of Cotton Fields. I was really surprised to hear that. I don't know my dates off hand but was this way before Al/Brian did their version for 20/20? Assuming it's before the single version. Just wondering if one inspired the other or if it's coincidence. Either way, pretty cool recording!

~post of the century~
-Mikie

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4585 on: January 11, 2014, 02:27:31 PM »

Was listening to Dennis Mitchell's Breakfast with the Beatles- episode 1168- White Album with Happy Nat...anyways there was a recording with Kenny Everett interviewing John (around the time Paul, George, and Ringo were recording Don't Pass Me By) and John plays a "basterdized" version of Cotton Fields. I was really surprised to hear that. I don't know my dates off hand but was this way before Al/Brian did their version for 20/20? Assuming it's before the single version. Just wondering if one inspired the other or if it's coincidence. Either way, pretty cool recording!

Wikipedia says Don't pass Me By was recorded on June 5 1968...Andrew Doe's Session/Shows section on his site says 20/20 version of Cotton Fields wasn't recorded til mid November 1968. There were some 20/20 sessions being recorded in June of 68 but not CF.

Case Closed (unless someone has more info, in that case you can open it back up)  Wink

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Micha
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4586 on: January 14, 2014, 06:41:22 AM »

Micha, it's been established for, oh, over 30 years that this is an entirely different Ron Wilson.

BTW, the last few Wikipedia links you've kindly posted have left the final ) off.  Smiley

Thank you very much for clearing that up! Smiley Is there some info on the other Ron Wilson of "We're Together Again" somewhere?

And I'll be more careful with posting links, promise! Smiley

Ceterum censeo SMiLEBrianum OSDumque esse excludendos banno.
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4587 on: January 14, 2014, 09:11:03 AM »

BTW, the last few Wikipedia links you've kindly posted have left the final ) off.  Smiley

Thank you very much for clearing that up! Smiley Is there some info on the other Ron Wilson of "We're Together Again" somewhere?

And I'll be more careful with posting links, promise! Smiley
I don't know much about him but I'm pretty sure brian produced a single for him around the same time: I'll Keep on Loving You/As Tears Go By and what I wouldn't do to hear those two tunes, I wonder what they sound like coming from this era. These are two perfect contenders for a Pet Projects Vol 2!

(http://www.esquarterly.com/bellagio/productions.html)
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 09:14:31 AM by punkinhead » Logged

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4588 on: January 14, 2014, 09:37:10 AM »

Frankly, they're nothing to get worked up about and had I not been told Brian co-produced them, I'd never have guessed or suspected.

punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4589 on: January 14, 2014, 11:04:49 AM »

Frankly, they're nothing to get worked up about and had I not been told Brian co-produced them, I'd never have guessed or suspected.
Really? I guess I have heard you say that once or twice. If you were to compare them to a BW song (sounds wise), what would it be?

~post of the century~
-Mikie

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4590 on: January 14, 2014, 11:55:58 AM »

Try them here: 

http://chirb.it/bPOHsP   

http://chirb.it/yPA8Dh

Disney Boy (1985)
« Reply #4591 on: January 14, 2014, 12:30:38 PM »

Did Brian write the lyrics and melody to "At My Window"? That was always a song I was confused about. I know the backing track was originally a cover of "Raspberries And Strawberries", an idea by Al, but I never found out what Al did and what Brian did to get a credit on this particular song after it was redeveloped and released. It's just such a beautiful track and the lyrics sound like Brian's creation, but it's something that is usually always just attributed as an Al song for some reason.

It's possible Brian wrote the melody and lyrics. In the 1976 televised interview, he seemed really enthusiastic about the song when the interviewer brought up Sunflower.

I think I read that Al produced the backing track, though.

Brian also picked At My Window as a track which we came close to including on his Brian Wilson presents BB Classics CD, so I guess he still really likes it.
Freddie French-Pounce
Smiley Smile Associate

A.K.A. mrmoustachioto

View Profile
« Reply #4592 on: January 14, 2014, 02:19:00 PM »

Has anybody yet acquired the Isn't It Time instrumental? Surely someone has the radio promo by now...

Check out the Mono/Stereo Mix Breakdown podcast Mixology here: https://mixology.podbean.com/
Andrew G. Doe
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile WWW
« Reply #4593 on: January 14, 2014, 03:56:07 PM »

The Ron Wilson 45: just had a listen for the first time in years, and I'm thinking that maybe Brian had nothing to do with it whatsoever, or if he did he just stuck his head through the control room door and nodded when asked what he thought. It's way too bland, too anonymous for a 1968 BW (co)production. It was recorded June 28th. Compared with tracks we know Brian did produce in roughly the same timeframe - "I Went To Sleep", "Walk On By", "Ol' Man River" and, of course, "Do It Again" - I'd say the chances the same Brian was responsible for "IKOLY" are the slender side of very slim (although granted, the 45 was recorded at ID sound, which was his studio du jour at this time when not using the home setup).

The label credit is "Produced by Ron-Brian Music Productiuon" and "Arranged and Conducted by Al Capps". I think I just moved this one to the "pending better proof & documentation" file.

bgas
Smiley Smile Associate

Oh for the good old days

View Profile
« Reply #4594 on: January 14, 2014, 04:03:14 PM »

The Ron Wilson 45: just had a listen for the first time in years, and I'm thinking that maybe Brian had nothing to do with it whatsoever, or if he did he just stuck his head through the control room door and nodded when asked what he thought. It's way too bland, too anonymous for a 1968 BW (co)production. It was recorded June 28th. Compared with tracks we know Brian did produce in roughly the same timeframe - "I Went To Sleep", "Walk On By", "Ol' Man River" and, of course, "Do It Again" - I'd say the chances the same Brian was responsible for "IKOLY" are the slender side of very slim (although granted, the 45 was recorded at ID sound, which was his studio du jour at this time when not using the home setup).

The label credit is "Produced by Ron-Brian Music Productiuon" and "Arranged and Conducted by Al Capps". I think I just moved this one to the "pending better proof & documentation" file.

Yeah, as I was listening to them, I thought much the same; Bland is as good a description as I could put on them. Uninspiring to the max. Still,  I posted them so everyone could suffer...

Alan Smith
Smiley Smile Associate

I'm still here bitches and I know everything. –A

View Profile
« Reply #4595 on: January 14, 2014, 04:05:34 PM »

And suffer I just did.  Thanks for the links tho' - nifty little site

ESQ - Subscribe Now!!!

A new Beach Boys forum is here! http://beachboys.boards.net/
Rotat
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4596 on: January 14, 2014, 04:08:40 PM »

Brian also produced "We're Together Again" right? You'd think he'd try to give the other songs the same magical arrangements. Maybe this "Al Capps" is to blame.
« Last Edit: January 14, 2014, 04:10:01 PM by jcjh20 » Logged
feelsflow
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4597 on: January 14, 2014, 04:20:36 PM »

Thanks for posting bgas.  Now I can say I heard them.    Not exactly suffer, but...Agree, bland.  Nothing there that reminds me of Brian. 

...if you are honest - you have no idea where childhood ends and maturity begins.  It is all endless and all one.  ~ P.L. Travers        And, let's get this out of the way now, everything I post is my opinion.  ~ Will
punkinhead
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4598 on: January 14, 2014, 08:40:09 PM »

Thank you BGAS! I've been wanting to hear these for years, and I agree with Andrew, they don't sound Brian Wilson or Beach Boy-like at all.

~post of the century~
-Mikie

Mitchell
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4599 on: January 17, 2014, 08:25:46 PM »

My LP of Surfer Girl (Capitol T1981) says Little Surfer Girl on the spine and "Little Surfer Girl" under SIDE ONE on the back... Is this normal?

Watch out for snakes!
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 179 180 181 182 183 [184] 185 186 187 188 189 ... 286 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx