gfxgfx

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
logo

gfx gfx
gfx
680601 Posts in 27601 Topics by 4068 Members - Latest Member: Dae Lims March 29, 2024, 03:22:39 PM
gfx*HomeHelpSearchCalendarLoginRegistergfx
gfxgfx
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 285 Go Down Print
Author Topic: Thread for various insignificant questions that don't deserve their own thread!  (Read 1399950 times)
MBE
« Reply #4025 on: July 27, 2013, 12:17:15 AM »

I heard the worst parts of Perth before he died.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4026 on: July 29, 2013, 01:27:11 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:53:09 PM by zatch » Logged
StillSurfin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4027 on: July 29, 2013, 01:37:02 PM »

Was wondering, how does iTunes match handle Beach Boys mono versions of songs. Do they match them with the mono versions or replace them with the remastered versions?.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4028 on: July 29, 2013, 03:07:14 PM »

Was wondering, how does iTunes match handle Beach Boys mono versions of songs. Do they match them with the mono versions or replace them with the remastered versions?.

I use iTunes Match and all of my Beach Boys CDs sync up.

pixletwin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4029 on: July 29, 2013, 03:12:22 PM »

Where does that vocal theme from "Goin' On" come from (The backings in the intro and the "I love you" part)? It's been used in several Beach Boys recordings over the years, but now that I think of it, the only song that was actually released (off the top of my head) that included it was Goin' On. The earliest BB record I can think of that used it was "All Dressed Up For School", an All Summer Long outtake. Then it was used in Smile in "Bridge to Indians" and of course later on Goin' On. I'm pretty unfamiliar with most pre-60s music so it might be super obvious to some that it came from some recording but I just don't know.

I thought it came from Brian.
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4030 on: July 29, 2013, 08:17:30 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:51 PM by zatch » Logged
Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4031 on: July 29, 2013, 10:52:57 PM »

Did "How She Boogalooed It" really reach number 10 in Sweden?!  Huh  Huh

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
Iron Horse-Apples
« Reply #4032 on: July 30, 2013, 06:10:33 AM »

Where does that vocal theme from "Goin' On" come from (The backings in the intro and the "I love you" part)? It's been used in several Beach Boys recordings over the years, but now that I think of it, the only song that was actually released (off the top of my head) that included it was Goin' On. The earliest BB record I can think of that used it was "All Dressed Up For School", an All Summer Long outtake. Then it was used in Smile in "Bridge to Indians" and of course later on Goin' On. I'm pretty unfamiliar with most pre-60s music so it might be super obvious to some that it came from some recording but I just don't know.

I thought it came from Brian.

Brian didn't come up with that chord progression. Its been knocking around since at least the 1920's.
Daniel
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4033 on: July 31, 2013, 03:22:57 PM »

In "Busy Doin Nothing", is that Marilyn singing "slowly it came to me"?
Its double tracked with Brian and i swear it sounds like her
Vegetable Man
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4034 on: July 31, 2013, 03:57:32 PM »

Recently, I've been wondering the exact same thing. Upon a closer listen, it really does sound like someone is double tracking with him, starting with "I wrote a number down..." And going all the way to the aforementioned "... Slowly it came to me". I think you're right in saying it's Marilyn, as I'm sure I've read that somewhere before.

"I've never written one note or word of music simply because I think it will make money"- Brian Wilson (1965)

"I like food"- Brian Wilson (1980)
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4035 on: July 31, 2013, 04:01:56 PM »

Recently, I've been wondering the exact same thing. Upon a closer listen, it really does sound like someone is double tracking with him, starting with "I wrote a number down..." And going all the way to the aforementioned "... Slowly it came to me". I think you're right in saying it's Marilyn, as I'm sure I've read that somewhere before.

Can't comment on the question to hand but isn't it "…suddenly it came to me…"

“We live in divisive times.”
The Shift
Smiley Smile Associate

Biding time

View Profile
« Reply #4036 on: July 31, 2013, 04:20:06 PM »

Can't comment on the question to hand but isn't it "…suddenly it came to me…"

Scratch that… it's "slowly". It's a slight difference in the pace of the doubled vocal that has always had me think "suddenly". Never stop listening and learning!

“We live in divisive times.”
alf wiedersehen
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4037 on: July 31, 2013, 04:50:47 PM »

I can definitely hear a female voice at "I wrote a number down" (1:50). Kinda sounds like Marilyn's vocal from Love You.
So, I decided to do some searching and found on the Busy Doin' Nothin' page on Wikipedia, it lists Marilyn's name for backing and harmony vocals.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Busy_Doin%27_Nothin%27
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4038 on: July 31, 2013, 04:52:47 PM »

I recall someone OOPSing BDN and found that you can hear Marilyn's vocal more clearly that way.

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
zachrwolfe
« Reply #4039 on: July 31, 2013, 06:15:46 PM »

« Last Edit: December 20, 2018, 08:52:16 PM by zatch » Logged
EgoHanger1966
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4040 on: July 31, 2013, 06:23:34 PM »

I recall someone OOPSing BDN and found that you can hear Marilyn's vocal more clearly that way.
Is OOPSing another name for when you sum the stereo channels and phase-invert one? Just guessing since I'm unfamiliar with that term.

Exactly. OOPS = Out-of-phase-stereo

Hal Blaine:"You're gonna get a tomata all over yer puss!"
Brian: "Don't say puss."
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4041 on: July 31, 2013, 07:06:13 PM »

It's definitely Marilyn doubling Brian on those parts. A very, very nice touch.

What I'm really curious about is the farting noise that occurs in the same section of the song both times.
« Last Edit: July 31, 2013, 07:07:52 PM by CRIED SO HARD, TEEARDROPS ON MY BED. LET'S GO MOTHER FUCKER » Logged

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Rocky Raccoon
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4042 on: July 31, 2013, 07:22:41 PM »

What I'm really curious about is the farting noise that occurs in the same section of the song both times.

All farting was performed by Bruce Johnston.

Quzi
Smiley Smile Associate

Eagerly awaiting tHe BeDRoOM TaPES

View Profile
« Reply #4043 on: July 31, 2013, 08:41:56 PM »

It's definitely Marilyn doubling Brian on those parts. A very, very nice touch.

I've always been curious about that. Is this the same noise you're taking about? I've isolated the section where I hear something: https://soundcloud.com/james-stockwell-2/busy-doin-nothin

"A/S/L"?
"Age:24. That's when Brian Wilson made Pet Sounds. Sex: Brian Wilson was having loads of sex with Marilyn when he made Pet Sounds. Location: Gold Star Studios, where Brian Wilson assembled with the Wrecking Crew to make Pet Sounds. Hbu?"
doinnothin
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4044 on: August 01, 2013, 01:20:52 PM »

I would love an album of Brian just doing "feels" at the piano. 

took me a while to understand what was going on in this thread. mainly because i thought that veggie was a bokchoy
runnersdialzero
Smiley Smile Associate

I WILL NEVER GO TO SCHOOL

View Profile
« Reply #4045 on: August 01, 2013, 01:35:45 PM »

This would be a good album cover:

Tell me it's okay.
Tell me you still love me.
People make mistakes.
People make mistakes.
Wrightfan
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4046 on: August 01, 2013, 01:43:20 PM »

This would be a good album cover:

Mike and Bruce will have a trollface cover.
egon spengler
« Reply #4047 on: August 03, 2013, 05:48:06 PM »

What's this about a "hidden part" to All This Is That? I've never heard or read anything about it, until this thread.

Underneath the verse, starting just after "timeless time of all" (sounds like "two waves travel by"), there's a half buried vocal line, which is partly the Frost poem: once you hear it you realise it's all over, er, under the song. Al was asked about it a good few years ago, and he couldn't remember what it was.

There's another much fuller buried lyric, too. The one you mentioned pops up in (IIRC) the right channel, and I think is just an almost spoken "two waves travel by, all the difference to me." But during Carl's next solo part, there's a 4-part harmony section tucked way down deep that sounds like it was probably an alternate verse sung to the same tune as "dusk time, the shadows fall..." The most I think I can make out is "Life like the river flows/[something something]nature knows/[something something] ocean [something]." OOPSing that part of the song about wipes out Carl's solo (minus the reverb), so you can hear the hidden part *sorta* well, but certainly not well enough to transcribe with any confidence.
dwtherealbb
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4048 on: August 03, 2013, 09:24:19 PM »

does it seem that there are two basic types of beach boys songs - uppers and downers?

Uppers
Fun, Fun, Fun
Good Vibrations
Surfin Safari
California Girls

Downers
Only With You
Til I Die
All This Is That
Sail On Sailor
seltaeb1012002
Smiley Smile Associate

View Profile
« Reply #4049 on: August 03, 2013, 11:30:01 PM »

Do any shows from 1982 circulate with Brian singing?

I recall seeing some silent film clips (from sometime in mid '82) with him on stage at his heaviest looking completely out of it... but singing nevertheless.

Not sure if I've ever heard any live audio with him from that year...
« Last Edit: August 03, 2013, 11:35:05 PM by seltaeb1012002 » Logged
gfx
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 285 Go Up Print 
gfx
Jump to:  
gfx